What's new

VinWonders | Phú Quốc, Vietnam | Theme Park

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I though this was still years off yet, so it's good to see stuff appearing on site.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I though this was still years off yet, so it's good to see stuff appearing on site.

It may well still be. Theres been no movement it seems. The track appeared to mostly vanish from the warehouse at the docks late last year but I assume it was just moved inside as the latest Satellite image from January shows it is back outside (although moved around a bit) and still just sat there waiting for a park for it to goto.

No idea whats going on with the park but it sucks to see it just sat there.
2018 Vietnam Vekoma at Warehouse.JPG

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
So Here is a weird one.

A Vinpear Land Park just opened in Hoi An in the east of the country.
The park has a Vekoma SFC and Mine Train combo.
Hoi an 2.JPG Hoi an 3.JPG Hoi An.JPG Hoi an3.JPG Hoi an4.JPG Hoi an5.JPG Hoi an6.JPG
This is where it gets a little odd. The latest Vekoma reference list has removed the 3 rides meant for Thu Thiem (SFC, Mine Train and Firestorm) and now has the SFC and Mine Train at Hoi An instead. Following up with Vekoma they say the Thu Thiem rides were moved to this new Hoi An Park instead. The colours of the track match up certainly.

However we have known where they have been storing the Thu Thiem rides for ages and I have been keeping an eye on them on satellite images of the area.
Ho Feb1.JPG
This Satellite image is from Febuary and clearly shows both the SFC and Firestorm in storage in Ho Chi Minh City just over the river from the planned Thu Thiem park location.

The image below is the same location and is a much lower resolution image of the same location taken from the ESA's Sentinal-1 satellite. This image was taken on Jun 30th which seems to be after the rides in Hoi An were built. While its low res the track is clearly still in Thu Thiem on that date. Unfortunatly every subsequent pass by Sentinal-1 has proven to be covered in cloud.

Ho Jun 1.JPG
So we are a little confused at the moment.
Duane has moved the Thu Thiem Rides to Hoi An on the RCDB for now. But if they did all get moved to Hoi An, Wheres the Firestorm gone (it is still listed as Thu Thiem on the Vekoma List)?
And if not whats up with that satellite image and why to Vekoma think they have?

More as it comes.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
In interesting news from the latest satellite images the firestorm appears to have been removed from the warehouse.

A little investigation shows that Vinpearl on the island of Phu Quoc (currently home to a Vekoma junior boomerang and rollerskater combo) is expanding hugely.

Again using the latest satellite images from the Sentinal satellites you can see the area nicely as well as in the last few days what could very well be the Firestorm track from the Thu Thiem project arriving on site.

I'm this image blue box is the current park. Yellow box is the new expansion which is taking over a good portion of the old golf course. The red arrow points to a couple of red and yellow blobs which could very well be the firestorm arriving on site.
Vinpearl-01.jpeg

The colours certainly match the satellite images above of the red track and yellow supports at the warehouse in Ho Chi Minh City

This is all currently speculation as Vinpearl haven't announced a thing but if I was a betting man I'd say we may see the firestorm appear sooner than expected.

If it is revealed to be accurate we can probably say the Ho Chi Minh project is dead for now after the SFC and Mine Train got shipped and built at the new park in Hoi An.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Interesting. Phu Qoc is supposed to be lovely (direct flights from here as well), but apparently is not looking to be that way for long as it tries to turn itself into the Vietnamese equivalent of a Thai beach resort.