What's new

USThrillRides Polercoaster opening near Atlanta & in Florida

marc

CF Legend
Re: US Thrill Rides Polarcoaster to be built near Atlanta

nadroJ said:
It's vulgar, what a gross way to surpass the 500ft mark.

Sorry but I just don't find these things impressive at all, they've everything I hate in a coaster: Lots of loops, no big drops/airtime, lots of tight turns AND on top of that they're ugly as sin.

So, according to the last part of that description, it would be very fitting for I-Drive in Florida XD

Pmsl at the last part. Some people love I-Drive but I don't get why, I try and avoid it as much as possible.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Sounds amazing tbh. Ok, so it looks pants and sickly but a 500ft coaster - yes please! That's progress.

marc

CF Legend

What I like is its 500ft and not a launch up to that height so the fear will build all the way up to the top

tomahawk

Strata Poster

500 feet with a helix at top for 360 views before rolling over, holding upside down and then the rest of the track? Hardly the worst method of a height breaking ride. I have a feeling if they prove to be reliable, many cities will be adding these. Better than a bunch of breaks following a launch!nridiculous amounts of inversions in an (allegedly) rough experience, or top hat then breaks for height. Of all the gimmicks in the world, at least this one is kind of acknowledging what it is. Observation deck, circle lift plus a trip round the top to see views? Could be worse.

Reading more gets me more cautiously optimistic. Also, hard to know that it won't have a 200 foot drop for a structure that is going to be this large. One piece of concept art won't tell you everything.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster

^ Simple logic will tell you that it won't have a 200ft drop, with that sort of speed it'll need to be drawn out to keep forces in check. I can't see this ride picking up a huge amount of speed purely because the ride layout will be dictated by the tower structure itself.

The only way this ride would be able to pick up any speed is if it uses the structure in the way that Kingda Ka uses its structure, but that would mean the track would have to draw much further away from the tower near the bottom.

I have a feeling this will be a glorified 'High Roller'

AirtimeFreak

Mega Poster
Re: First US Thrill Rides Polarcoaster to be built near Atla

Nic said:
S&S Hopefully go without saying. I'm assuming Sansei are actually Sansei Yusoki. In which case they've built 23 creds (http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&co=6923). The ones I've been on were brilliantly weird. Combine that with S&S who also do a fantastic line in ridiculous creds and I think you've actually got the perfect combination for something as daft as this.

I agree with the S&S bit but looking through some of these Sansei Yusoki rides, they don't look convincing. I mean they have no established track design, make a variety of what look to be pretty basic rides, and they are looking to get in on something like this?

I did however have a look at some of the stuff on their website, and they seem to be big on engineering (all aspects) so maybe they will just be involved in the observation deck and transporting from top to bottom, as opposed to being involved in the designing of the ride.

S&S are probably the only company you would want doing something like this, I'm sure whatever they produce it will be great, but I'm not sure the "tallest coaster" record will be deserved for a ride like this.

Crazycoaster said:
I have a feeling this will be a glorified 'High Roller'

High roller really does look crap, this however looks like it might be okay, as long as they get it right.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

It will have to be quite wide to support the tower, plus a coaster so I wouldn't rule the possibility out. Obviously it needs a long pull out with drops of that height, but trims are going to happen on this anyways. It's possible.

therick311

Mega Poster

Hang on a second. We have much more important matters to discuss here. Who cares if the thing is good or not? We have a whole new height category to define here! We can't have any further discussion until we have a proper name for this new 500+ ft category! Semantics people! :lol:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Re: US Thrill Rides Polercoaster to be built near Atlanta

Shouldn't the thread title be changed slightly, since all promotional material and quotes refer to it as a Polercoaster? It makes sense to spell it like that, since it is a pun on "pole", not on "polar".

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Re: USThrillRides Polercoaster opening near Atlanta & in Flo

^I updated the title to fix the typo and make it reflect both announcements.

dropthefloor93

Hyper Poster

POLErcoaster -- The name makes me pretty confident it will be at I-Drive.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Just a small update. Michael Kitchen, the president of US Thrill Rides confirmed today that the 325 feet tall Polercoaster at Lakepoint Park in Emerson, Georgia will be the first of it's kind and that the second one in Florida will be 525 feet tall. The company was asked not to announce where the coaster will be going by the customer, who wishes to release that information in about two weeks time.
For those of you that have doubts, the coaster is designed by Alan Schilke so it should be an exciting ride. Schilke was the designer of Tennessee Tornado and came up with the concept of the 4th Dimension roller coaster. In addition to designing X/X2 and Eejanaika he also is responsible for the outward banking turn found on the S&S El Loco coasters. His most recent claim to fame has been to team up with RMC's Fred Grubb to design the Iron Horse/I-Box track. He designed New Texas Giant, Outlaw Run, Iron Rattler, Medusa Steel Coaster and Goliath at Six Flags Great America for Rocky Mountain Construction.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

Cautious optimism just went out the window. Thanks a lot Jerry...

Lofty

CF Legend

Crazycoaster said:
So is this ride essentially going to be a big ugly helix? =/

Not necessarily. That's literally just to show the concept. The other that is hopefully being constructed in Atlanta (?) has inversions and the like. So the whole coaster will wrap itself around the tower as shown in concept but the actual layout will be altogether different.

Yeah. I can see this working in Orlando actually. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

I am confused. Is this ACTUALLY happening in 2014 at a Florida park? Cause surely building would have had to have started by now? (Plus I'm going to Florida next year so....)

And 525ft. That's Mahoosive.

Lofty

CF Legend

It won't be at a park, it'll more than likely be it's own entity entirely and construction is STARTING in 2014 from what I've read.

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: RE: USThrillRides Polercoaster opening near Atlanta & in

Says it will take 24 months to build, so probably 2016 opening is more likely.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016

awww thats sooooo long XD but I shall 100% be keeping an eye on this.