What's new

USF to add 2017 ride themed around... Jimmy Fallon?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yes, it's true! A replacement for the Twister attraction has been long rumored at Universal Studios Florida, and Jimmy revealed a new Tonight Show-themed ride during last night's show.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQY7b_dXCvs[/youtube]

Here is a ride concept write-up from Screamscape:

The attraction will be themed around the “outrageous celebrity races” that take place from time to time on Jimmy’s version of The Tonight Show. As guests, you’ll make your way into the experience from the park’s New York street sets and into Studios 6B to attend this “very special taping” of the show where Jimmy challenges the audience to the ultimate race through the streets (and skies) of New York City.

Jimmy shares that it will be a 4D attraction, with 3D glasses and moving features - possibly the same ride system as Harry Potter?

Interesting theme concept, but I could actually see this work with some clever writing.

peep

CF Legend
Agree, I think this could end up being a good attraction. I've not seen one of these celebrity races though so don't have a frame of reference to that part of the show.

Rumours are that it will be a bigger theatre version of Soarin'. New technology being used etc but we really don't know anything yet.

Twister closing so soon after the announcement though (Sunday) is weird, they really don't like giving people time to get one last ride in do they?

Should also be noted this is opening the same year as a new Fast and Furious attraction, the massive new water park, Volcano Bay, an expansion of the Cabana bay hotel and apparently something else. I love how much money Universal are throwing at the resort to redevelop it all.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Ben

CF Legend
Yay at least Derren Brown will no longer be the biggest dickhead with a ride!

Twister is fab as well :'(

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I hate the idea of rides focussed around celebrities. It's just wrong and just seems a bit.......vein to me.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I h€£rd th£t Jimm¥ love$ th€ id€£ of £ rid€ th€m€d £ft€r him. H€'$ £l$o doing thi$ b€c£u$€ h€ w£nt$ to, not b€c£u$€ h€ w£s p£id.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
What a shame. Twister was a great ride. I personally don't like the idea of a ride themed after a celebrity but this could be worth checking it out (even though its a **** bad idea)

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Well....

I didn't see that coming. Sounds horrible so far, but having a roller coaster based on Aerosmith doesn't exactly entice me and I kind of like how Rock N Roller Coaster works. As long as the ride technology is good and if Jimmy Fallon takes the backseat, it might not be too bad.

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
I think Disney should retaliate by installing a Jimmy Kimmel Mean-Tweets ride!

In all seriousness, this sounds like a really, really dumb idea.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Twister was s**t, so good riddance for changing it.

The building doesn't seem very big though, so unless they're planning on building upwards, I wouldn't be expecting anything too exciting.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Will keep an eye on it. Could be a fun little thing. As gavin said Twister wasn't really good anyway to not disappointed to see it removed.

spicy

Giga Poster
Am I the only one that has no idea who Jimmy Fallon is and just had to google him? So the UK equivalent would be like Johnathan Ross the ride?

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
This is more of a ride presented by Jimmy Fallon, than a Jimmy Fallon the ride. In the same way that Christopher Walken presented Disaster, and Judi Dench presents Spaceship Earth.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
spicy said:
Am I the only one that has no idea who Jimmy Fallon is and just had to google him? So the UK equivalent would be like Johnathan Ross the ride?
Who's Johnathan Ross? :razz:

Sorry for not providing context - Jimmy Fallon is the host of The Tonight Show, which is one of America's top night talk shows (still rated number 1 I believe?). Previous hosts of the Tonight Show were Jay Leno and Jimmy Carson. Jimmy Fallon himself is a former cast member of Saturday Night Live, a live comedy show that also airs in the U.S.

Casio

Mega Poster
spicy said:

Not really, as Hyde said he's pretty massive in the US at the moment, and he's young. He also has major ties with Universal already; his show is on NBC, which is part of NBCUniversal along with the theme parks, he already hosts the studio tour in Hollywood (which I thought was excellent), and if you've seen Jurassic World he has a cameo as himself, hosting a ride within the film. He divides opinion a lot because his humour is pretty immature; he plays ridiculous games with guests rather than straight interviews, and his signature is cracking up during routines/jokes. I personally like him, and I think it's a solid idea to have another comedy attraction. When he eventually fades I'm sure it won't be hard to retheme, although that may take long enough that the whole ride could be replaced by then.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
These comments pretty much sum up my initial reaction to this....

david morton said:
Just when I thought Derren Brown was testing the limits of my enthusiasm... :roll:
TommyAlex said:
I hate the idea of rides focussed around celebrities. It's just wrong and just seems a bit.......vein to me
Ayy Lmao said:
Could USSO dissapoint me anymore?
and
CarolinaRider said:
In all seriousness, this sounds like a really, really dumb idea.

This seems like a really american-specific ride for a park that gets a lot of international visitors. I suppose these shows get youtube views internationally as well. I suppose it's a cheap(er) addition to an already expensive looking year.

Well.
Derren Brown doesn't sound as bad now.

Edward M

Strata Poster
So Universal will have two rides starring the worst things in pop culture, Minions and Jimmy Fallon. Great.