What's new

US Election; what are your thoughts?

I think there's a lot of fear within the party to support whoever the nom is and with whatever they say vs letting the other side win. Like yeah, there are FOR SURE people who are 100% in on whatever Trump says and will go with it.... but I'm sure there are others who can't stand him but will still vote for me over letting a FEMALE win, that's too scary.

If you want a good read, check out the horrifying wiki page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trumpism

Out of interest, is there a notable percentage of the American electorate that believes in conspiracy theories or something?

I only ask because I’ve noticed that Donald Trump seems to spout unfounded conspiracy theories all the time (in the recent Kamala debate alone, you had things like “they’re eating the dogs and cats in Springfield” and “Democrats want to kill babies after they’re born”), and a considerable amount of the American population seems to lap it up. I feel like British politicians wouldn’t be able to get away with spouting unfounded conspiracy theories, but Trump seems to do it constantly and a not insignificant percentage of the American electorate clearly agrees with his theories and policies to some extent.

Are conspiracy theories a bigger, more believed in thing in America than in Britain? When trying to read about American politics and Trump, I’ve noticed that they often seem to talk about Trump supporters believing in a number of conspiracy theories that I’d never heard of. For instance, I had to Google what QAnon was, as that’s apparently a big one believed by Trump and his fans…
Well you see, a large portion of Americans are idiots. That’s it. That’s your answer.

Out of interest, is there a notable percentage of the American electorate that believes in conspiracy theories or something?

I only ask because I’ve noticed that Donald Trump seems to spout unfounded conspiracy theories all the time (in the recent Kamala debate alone, you had things like “they’re eating the dogs and cats in Springfield” and “Democrats want to kill babies after they’re born”), and a considerable amount of the American population seems to lap it up. I feel like British politicians wouldn’t be able to get away with spouting unfounded conspiracy theories, but Trump seems to do it constantly and a not insignificant percentage of the American electorate clearly agrees with his theories and policies to some extent.

Are conspiracy theories a bigger, more believed in thing in America than in Britain? When trying to read about American politics and Trump, I’ve noticed that they often seem to talk about Trump supporters believing in a number of conspiracy theories that I’d never heard of. For instance, I had to Google what QAnon was, as that’s apparently a big one believed by Trump and his fans…

You see the vocal minority. Most people I know, whether your Left, Right, or Center, are pretty moderate in most views and rational. Really, no different then the UK.

A lot of what you see is like going to Orlando and thinking this is what all of America is like when.. no. It's not.. lol

I feel like the US is hard to like to summarize in one way. My uncle lives in the very Red state of Alabama, which has a lot of things i disagree with, but equally I can still be friendly with those people as at the end of the day, a lot of them as the poster said above, are not always fully pro anything. Some are Republican but don't really get into politics. There is moderate people out there, even in a hard red state like Alabama.

Obviously the North-East is its own beast being a blue wall. as is Hawaii and Alaska with their own party alignments. Then obviously you have the swing states of the mid-west, to the liberal California. I feel like areas can really influence as well, if your family is hard into politics, it would be very daunting to openly support the other party. I believe this is the case for both sides.

I think calling all Americans stupid is maybe a little harsh as a brit. I believe Trump is just an example of populism in politics. In the UK this has emerged as Reform and Brexit, promising to magic wand all the boats away, save the NHS, and do it all without raising taxes. My dad voted for brexit to "stop the boats"..

I feel like the US is hard to like to summarize in one way. My uncle lives in the very Red state of Alabama, which has a lot of things i disagree with, but equally I can still be friendly with those people as at the end of the day, a lot of them as the poster said above, are not always fully pro anything. Some are Republican but don't really get into politics. There is moderate people out there, even in a hard red state like Alabama.

Obviously the North-East is its own beast being a blue wall. as is Hawaii and Alaska with their own party alignments. Then obviously you have the swing states of the mid-west, to the liberal California. I feel like areas can really influence as well, if your family is hard into politics, it would be very daunting to openly support the other party. I believe this is the case for both sides.

I think calling all Americans stupid is maybe a little harsh as a brit. I believe Trump is just an example of populism in politics. In the UK this has emerged as Reform and Brexit, promising to magic wand all the boats away, save the NHS, and do it all without raising taxes. My dad voted for brexit to "stop the boats"..

Yeah my neighborhood is a fantastic example. 1-2 people of say 40 houses have anything political out. Most people don't advertise anything, which good. I don't like talking politics with ANYONE because I've lost friends over it. Well.. were they really my friends in that case? No.

My biggest issue is the obsession with Trump. He is obviously not a good person. Conservative politics are not a problem to me as I've had plenty of friends all over the spectrum.. but the obsession over the man who isn't truly conservative chaps my ass.. especially when good people hitch their ride to him.

What's worst is that Liberal politics hasn't done much better since Obama. There hasn't been anyone I've been hardcore for since Obama was in office.. but even then he failed to deliver on some policies I was hoping for due to.. political infighting and bull****tery.

All of that said.. plenty of people are good people, smart people in the USA. Unfortunately, what outsiders see are the worst of the worst. The loud minority. Reminds me of Brexit to be honest.

I have a lot of conservative friends through 4-H. Most of them seem perfectly nice. Until they start calling people f*gg*ts and saying that being transgender is a mental illness. At least in this political environment, I honestly find it hard to stay friends with these people.