What's new

US Election 2020; what are your thoughts?

Who did you support in the US Election?

• Donald Trump (Republican)

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Joe Biden (Democrat)

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • Other/None

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Matt N

CF Legend
Interestingly, it seems as though the US presidential election in 2024 is possibly shaping up to be the first rematch since 1956, with Joe Biden standing again as the incumbent Democrat president and Donald Trump standing again as the Republican opposition…

JackFish

Mega Poster
Interestingly, it seems as though the US presidential election in 2024 is possibly shaping up to be the first rematch since 1956, with Joe Biden standing again as the incumbent Democrat president and Donald Trump standing again as the Republican opposition…
I don't want to get to political but I don't want either. Im not sure who i want, but they are both bad options in my mind. Just my opinion, but last actual good president we had was Reagan. I cant vote so not my issue quite yet so we´ll see what happens

Dar

Hyper Poster
It genuinely baffles me that some americans are so blinded by #teamdonkey and #teamelephant that there's a real possibility that they might elect an actual criminal. Faced with a choice between someone that announced they would be a dictator "just for one day", and someone that is old, it looks like a lot of people would prefer the rapist to the old man? Is everything ok, USA?

Hutch

Strata Poster
The Trump cult is so bizarre. They'll support him no matter what. Hell, you'll probably still see thousands write in his name in future election cycles long after he's dead.

You think he would've gone away after 2020, but nope, here we are again.

The Republican Party doesn't really know what to do with itself either. This was their opportunity to finally move on from Trump and it just didn't happen. Trump's campaign was smart to keep him away from the debate stage (the reason why he had a bad 2020 was that he just wouldn't shut up). And of course that left the remaining candidates to split the vote and give Trump the clear lead. We'll see how long Nikki Haley lasts (she's by far the best choice of the GOP candidates). Unlikely she'll earn the nomination at this point, but it would've been a much more interesting race if it came down to Biden v Haley, and I think people on both sides could rest easier.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Is it that time again?

Like the World Cup or the Olympics the worlds biggest "Most popular old rich white man competition" seems to come around more quickly every time.

And like the world cup it really needs to sort out its money issuses before I can really take its seriously again. I mean the last election cycle cost 14 BILLION dollars. Which is just insane (And more than the entire GDP of a fair few countries). I'm won't be surprised if the 2028 US election is held in Saudi Arabia.

But i suppose the US election is also like watching one of those weird sports you get hooked on at the Olympics too. Theres way too much corperate sponsorship, I have no idea what the commentators are talking about half the time, Someone involved has probably taken a load of drugs, in the end someone seems really angry with the result and Russias not allowed to take part anymore.

Matt N

CF Legend
Out of interest, I’d be intrigued to know; what is it about Donald Trump that appeals to some Americans?

In this country, he seems almost universally hated, whereas he’s clearly loved by a broad cross-section of the American population. As much as Trump himself is a controversial character, did the Trump presidency have a positive impact upon America that isn’t quite so visible from our side of the Atlantic? Did he get the country’s economy going or do something else good that Americans perceived to positively impact their lives?

If not, I’m a little confused as to why he continually wins votes and has such a grip on the Republican Party. If he hadn’t tangibly improved the country in some way during his 4-year reign, why would some people still be emphatically calling for his return 4 years later?

If I were American and able to vote in the US elections, I can’t say that Trump would appeal to me personally, but a large number of Americans evidently disagree… for all his flaws, you can’t deny that Trump has been very successful in capturing the hearts and minds of a not insignificant proportion of the American populace.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Out of interest, I’d be intrigued to know; what is it about Donald Trump that appeals to some Americans?
Back in 2015/2016, Trump was obviously very different from his fellow Republican candidates. Somehow, his bold statements and sheer degeneracy and disrespect entranced many voters. Combine that with the sentiment that many were tired of the typical politician, Trump (ironically) came across as a breath of fresh air for some.

As for his loyal cult who will bow down to him no matter what? I've got no f***ing clue there.

JackFish

Mega Poster
I like the economy Trump created but I don't like Trump or how he created the good economy. At this point would rather have no president.

Graeme

Roller Poster
Robert Kennedy speaks out more about the things I care about, but I would definitely vote for Trump over Biden.

I've always instinctively liked Donald Trump. He reminds me of a time when people had more fight in them. Things have been incredibly dark since Biden took office - authoritarian measures, censorship, people's health in tatters. Unfortunately, many conspiracy theories are true. The world is run by the purest evil, it truly is, in a way most people don't seem to want to acknowledge.

Trump's fans see him as an anti-establishment outsider. Whether he is or not is another matter - there are some signs he is, and some signs he isn't - but people need hope. I do find the attacks on him quite deranged - he's spoken about as though he's the worst man who ever lived. Overall, my feeling is that if the legacy media hates someone that much, there must be something good about them.

davidm

Strata Poster
Whilst I would not disagree that the established system is broken/corrupt - surely Trump is worse? He is the established system (corrupt business going back decades) pretending it is not via populist rhetoric - but then only out for himself?

He gets all the "hate" because he is hateful and it shocks me that so many people (and the GOP) fall for it all. (the GOP fall for it because of the people falling for it of course).

I genuinely despair about American politics :(

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Whilst I would not disagree that the established system is broken/corrupt - surely Trump is worse? He is the established system (corrupt business going back decades) pretending it is not via populist rhetoric - but then only out for himself?

He gets all the "hate" because he is hateful and it shocks me that so many people (and the GOP) fall for it all. (the GOP fall for it because of the people falling for it of course).

I genuinely despair about American politics :(

The fact that Trump is even in contention again is just insane. A man whos in court on Felony charges being able to run for president. Madness.

The whole cult of trump thing though seems to come down at least partly to what I'd call the Cult of America in that many Americans (of course not all) have it ingrained that they are the greatest most free nation on earth when in reality they never really have been, but its something thats seemingly reinforced from birth.

By almost any metric (GDP per capita, human rights, quality of life, freedoms, Health Care) they are usually a fair way down the list. Although they do top the list in defence spending and number of people in prison 🤷‍♂️

Trump taps into that false we used to be the best at everything retoric brilliantly and scape goats everyone else as the reason for not being the best at everything now. I mean i can't stand the guy but you've got to give it to him he plays the game extremely well even if the game is broken.

Last edited:

InvertsAreMyJam

Roller Poster
I really wish I was old enough to vote. As an LGBTQ+ woman, I am terrified that this country will become an extremely unfriendly place for me if Trump wins.

Also, Trump literally incited an insurrection on January 6th. This was a direct attack on the democracy of our country. And the power he’ll have if he’s president again…I genuinely want to cry even thinking about it.

Biden isn’t good either but I’d much rather have him for four years than have Trump for possibly until he dies.

And this all goes without mentioning that Trump was literally convinced of a crime I probably can’t say here.