What's new

Universal Studios Florida vs Universal Studios Hollywood

Better park?

• Total voters

ThemeParkHistorian

Roller Poster
This isn't including the resort as a whole for Orlando, we're only taking about the Studios parks here, which park is better?

The original Universal Studios Hollywood, with it's Upper and Lower Lot, Springfield and Hogsmeade?

or the newer park, Universal Studios Florida, with Production Central, New York, Hollywood, San Francisco, KidZone, Springfield, World Expo and Diagon Alley?​

Edward M

Strata Poster
I'm a bit surprised at my own reaction here, but I'm going to say Hollywood.

I think Florida functions better as a park. It has more distinctive sections and a nice flow from land to land. This is as compared to the very irritating Upper/Lower lot that takes up large chunks of time just to get between rides. Then, there's Florida's superior ride collection: the better Mummy, the better Potter (land and ride), solid dark rides in ET Adventure and Men in Black and even a major coaster in Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. Hollywood does have the amazing Jurassic World ride, but it's not quite enough to tip the scales.

So, why do I prefer Hollywood? It's the actual Universal Studios. Not a recreation of it but the actual live and functioning place that people work and film in every day. As a film buff, I get very excited by this: getting to see familiar and famous sets from tons of Universal films. That's not even considering all the famous show scenes on the tour (experiences that are now mostly extinct in Florida). So, ultimately, I think it's the tour that makes Hollywood feel more unique or worthwhile in my own book. It hurts that I've spent more time in Florida throughout the years: being able to see its ups and downs. I can imagine that Super Nintendo Land will really help Hollywood feel like a fully realized park, as it is a bit of a half-day park in its current form.

SeanC

Mega Poster
I'm biased as I worked on the Uni lot in LA for 2 years and met my wife there but if you're looking for rides and just rides, Orlando is a bit better. If you're more than just a casual movie fan, the tram tour in LA is unlike anything else that exists at a theme park -- at least that I know of -- since it goes through the actual lot and passes by production companies and active sound stages.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I preferred Hollywood by a smidge.

Not entirely sure why....just the general vibe of the place.

Might've had something to do with the sky giving everything this atmospheric look the day I visited:

PQxRKmkYSj2bcC37r0IVNw_thumb_dfe.jpg