What's new

Universal Studios Beijing | 2021

Matt N

CF Legend
Wow, that launch tunnel looks fantastic! I think Universal looks to have really perfected the Hulk-style coaster here; the theming and layout profiling all look on point here compared to the original!

On a different thought, I wonder whether this will have the older OTSRs or vests? They kept the OTSRs when they refurbished the Orlando Hulk in 2016, but they seem to have changed a number of things here, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they did add vests. Frankly, I’m quite surprised they didn’t change the launch to B&M’s own LSM system with the amount of modernisation they did in terms of track profiling.

Last edited:

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
Wow, that launch tunnel looks fantastic! I think Universal looks to have really perfected the Hulk-style coaster here; the theming and layout profiling all look on point here compared to the original!

On a different thought, I wonder whether this will have the older OTSRs or vests? They kept the OTSRs when they refurbished the Orlando Hulk in 2016, but they seem to have changed a number of things here, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they did add vests. Frankly, I’m quite surprised they didn’t change the launch to B&M’s own LSM system with the amount of modernisation they did in terms of track profiling.
Pretty sure B&M don't make there own LSM's though?

Matt N

CF Legend
Pretty sure B&M don't make there own LSM's though?
I know that they probably don’t make their own LSMs, but I’m sure I remember being told that B&M at least had involvement and cooperation with Thunderbird’s launch, whereas they allegedly refused to have anything to do with the original Hulk’s launch when that was built.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I'm not surprised that they stuck with the tire launch for a bunch of engineering related reasons. The first being that they had already done this before and by reusing an already existing method on a nearly identical ride means that 95% of the work is already complete. The more complicated reason is that launching on a steep incline requires significantly more energy since the launch has to overcome gravity in addition to the train's inertia. Surely their LSM design would have worked, but it would have been way more power hungry over a tire drive, where they could specifically size each motor and gear reduction such that each tire drive is optimized for power efficiency.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
I know that they probably don’t make their own LSMs, but I’m sure I remember being told that B&M at least had involvement and cooperation with Thunderbird’s launch, whereas they allegedly refused to have anything to do with the original Hulk’s launch when that was built.
I Believe B&M, Mack ,Vekoma, Gerst & Maybe Maurer all use the same launch system

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Ah right; thanks for the clarification @VonRolland!
You know you don't have to quote a member's name if you quote their post. And vice versa.

But yes I believe he is right, the launches are all made by InTraSys from what I am aware of. Strange though because some (Gerstlauer) are a lot more forceful than others (Mack).

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
But yes I believe he is ride, the launches are all made by InTraSys from what I am aware of. Strange though because some (Gerstlauer) are a lot more forceful than others (Mack).
I think the analogy would be something like Bridgestone Tyres. They'll make tires for your family Fiat, as well as your prototype Ferrari. The product is tailored for the use it's meant for.

If Mack aren't specifying intense launches, InTraSys (or any launch hardware manufacturer for that matter) won't provide them with one. They could, but they won't. That's Mack's problem, not theirs.

Matt N

CF Legend
So would that mean that IntraSys make most LSM launches apart from those on Intamin coasters, as I believe they use a different supplier (I could have sworn they were called something like Indrivetec?)?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I think the analogy would be something like Bridgestone Tyres. They'll make tires for your family Fiat, as well as your prototype Ferrari. The product is tailored for the use it's meant for.

If Mack aren't specifying intense launches, InTraSys (or any launch hardware manufacturer for that matter) won't provide them with one. They could, but they won't. That's Mack's problem, not theirs.
This little guy. They likely have a product lineup (as opposed to just one single LSM product) that differs by power consumption and the electromagnetic field it creates. The launches also surely differ due to a different controls strategy, which would make sense if completely different people are developing the rides.

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
You know you don't have to quote a member's name if you quote their post. And vice versa.

But yes I believe he is right, the launches are all made by InTraSys from what I am aware of. Strange though because some (Gerstlauer) are a lot more forceful than others (Mack).
From the quick reading i did it seems they can launch up to 10g, Seems Helix & ICON had deliberately soft launches in comparison with B Fire's more punchy launch but either way compared to Fluch Von Novgorod that's nothing...

emoo

Hyper Poster
This is a nice plaza.

universal-studios-beijing-23815400.jpg

While low on my priority list it would be cool to be drone and fly over this.

From ThemeParX which has loads of other concept art for CityWalk along with the latest photos including inside shots of the branches and track of the Harry Potter ride.

Matt N

CF Legend
Do we know whether WWOHP will have anything besides Forbidden Journey; for example, a Flight of the Hippogriff coaster of some kind like the other 3 Hogsmeades have? Or is it just Forbidden Journey?

Matt N

CF Legend
Ah right, thanks for the clarification @roomraider! I’m going to assume this is a clone of the Mack YoungStar built in California?

I wonder why the two more recent Hogsmeades (California and Beijing) have Mack YoungStars in them instead of Vekoma Junior Coasters like the older two (Florida and Japan)? I know Florida’s coaster was there before WWOHP, having previously opened as Flying Unicorn in 2000, but Japan’s Vekoma was built brand new alongside their WWOHP in 2014, not too long before the California version opened in 2016! Japan and California’s Hogsmeades were designed and announced pretty much in unison as well, weren’t they?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
To be fair, that's the first photo I've seen of this where the sky has not be grey/cloudy/generally miserable, and looking back through the thread all photos have dark sky, so that could be a reason why the supports look a lot brighter and bluer.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Yeah I've had a look back at them and there's certainly blue in them just came as a surprise this morning that they were so blue.

This image from earlier in the thread had blue skies and the blue is noticeable but not as clearly blue as today's pic.

USBM2.jpg

I dunno. In my head it was much greyer. ?