What's new

Universal Orlando | Volcano Bay | Water Park

peep

CF Legend
Stayed at the Cabana bay last week (this is literally next to it) and it's huge. Photos do not do that Volcano justice.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

CarolinaRider

Mega Poster
Looks like the most exciting project of 2017 (and I'm not saying that because of the quality of the coasters this year). It looks like it could be the best water park in the country, so it's going to be a phenomenal addition to Universal Orlando.

Also- that thing is 200 feet tall, right? Won't they need to place a beacon on top? That would ruin the look of the mountain, unless they want to disguise it with fog (though I think that's illegal).

Ben

CF Legend
^My guess is it'll be 199ft tall.

Or, if they did some sort of red lighting at the top like it's 'erupting' they might either be able to get away with that as the beacon or disguise one easily in there.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
A few days ago Universal released a video showing more of the park

Info on the attractions (from the website)
Four Immersive Areas Filled With Thrills and Relaxation
The Volcano

At the heart of the island stands Krakatau™, the mighty Fire and Water Volcano. Towering 200 feet above the tropical landscape, Krakatau streams waterfalls during the day and fiery lava effects at night. Inside the cavernous volcano the Waturi people dare you to brave a variety of heart-pounding water slides.

Krakatau™ Aqua Coaster
Honorary Waturi can experience the power of Krakatau™ on this amazing ride. Four-person canoes slide upward through the mists and into the dark twists and turns within the volcano before emerging with a plunge through a shimmering waterfall.

Ko’okiri Body Plunge
Join in the centuries-old tradition of honoring the volcano god, Vol, by braving the incredible Ko’okiri Body Plunge. Featuring a 70-degree fall through a drop door and 125 feet of screaming, white-knuckle fun, this dizzying descent ends with a watery tribute from Vol himself.

Kala & Tai Nui Serpentine Body Slides
Join Kala and Tai Nui where sea and sky meet and take a leap of faith from high atop the volcano. Twin trap doors simultaneously drop two guests down clear, intertwining tubes before sending them joyfully splashing into the turquoise waters below.

Punga Racers
A favorite among Waturi children of all ages, Punga Racers send single riders on their manta ray mats sliding down four lanes through underwater sea caves.

Wave Village
This peaceful escape overlooks the sparkling waters of Waturi Beach at the base of the volcano.

Waturi Beach
Locals know — the surf’s always up at Waturi Beach. Swim, splash and relax right along with them in the sparkling waters and warm waves of this sparkling lagoon at the foot of mighty Krakatau™.

River Village
The scenic River Village has fun for people of all ages, including the very youngest Waturi.

Honu ika Moana
Just like the ancient Waturi people who rode the ocean waves on friendly sea turtles and whales, guests can enjoy these two twisting, turning, multi-person slides. Honu sweeps up two massive walls, while ika Moana sprays water on riders from the center of the raft.

Tot Tiki Reef + Runamukka Reef
The little ones can frolic among the splashy slides and fountains of the Tot Tiki Reef toddler play area, while Runamukka Reef delights older children with its bubbling geysers, water guns, slides and dump cups.

Kopiko Wai Winding River
Take a slow ride on the Kopiko Wai Winding River. Sprays of water surprise along the way, and beneath the lava rocks, Stargazer’s Cavern reveals the magical night sky above.

Rainforest Village
Rainforest Village stretches along the shores of an action-packed river and features the perfect mix of relaxation and exhilaration.

Ohyah + Ohno Drop Slides
Test your mettle and get into the Waturi spirit. Ascend cliff side and plummet down the twisting waters of Ohyah before dropping out four feet above the pool below. To achieve even greater bragging rights, brave the rope bridge and plunge down Ohno, a serpentine adventure that ends six feet above the pool below. Be sure to yell your battle cry on the way down.

Maku Puihi Raft Rides
Ready for the high adventure of the Maku Puihi lava tubes? This six-person rafting adventure is a favorite of Waturi families, but it’s not for the faint of heart. Choose one of two paths or try them both—just be ready for a thrilling ride. Puihi careens through a dark, winding tunnel before the stomach-flipping thrill of zero gravity hang time. Maku slides you through a deep volcanic gorge before spinning wildly around bowl-like formations.

TeAwa The Fearless River
Up for an adventure? Take a thrilling whitewater ride along TeAwa The Fearless River. Race along a roaring, watery onslaught of churning rapids and choppy waves hanging tight to your inner tube.

Taniwha Tubes
There’s a place where the puka trees grow abnormally tall. Inspired by their twisting roots, the Waturi built four twisting water slides called the Taniwha Tubes. Riders can try all four twisting tracks, but beware — mischievous tiki statues spray jets of water when you least expect it.
CwWZJRnXEAAOavl.jpg:large

Important stuff
  • Headliner - Krakatau Aqua Coaster travels through the volcano's caverns and waterfalls
  • The will be no proper queues, only virtual ones. You use "wearable's" (similar to Disney's MagicBand) called TapuTapu
  • Similar to the Harry Potter wands, guests can interact with various objects and markings around the park via the TapuTapu
  • The lazy river will feature the Stargazer's cavern:
CwWM6c7UcAA9qOB.jpg:large

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I'm not sure about the 100% virtual queues. Yeah fastpass brings a lot of people out of the queue and into the park, but the standby line keeps a significant amount of people off the crowded streets. I think it's a nice sentiment, but I don't know what everyone is supposed to do when they are not on a 10-40 second water slide. The whole park just wandering around? Without queues it'll feel extremely busy.

peep

CF Legend
I'm still a little concerned this is rather close to the road. Maybe they'll add a stupid amount of theming and trees to hide it?

nadroJ

CF Legend
^maybe they'll do a Phantasialand and kind of 'sink' the park so once you're inside you'd never know. Look at things like the Runaway Train at Alton. Right along the road into the park and yet once you're in there you're completely oblivious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
I was really impressed with the Black mamba area in Phantasialand whee the road outside is oblivious once you're riding due to the themed rock work/wall. I can imagine them doing the exact same thing.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
The difference is that Phantasialand did not have to hide an 8 lane interstate. The 4 literally runs right next door to Volcano Bay, and it's one of the busiest roads in Orlando.

Last edited:

peep

CF Legend
Yeah, if you've been past recently on that road you'd see why I'm concerned they can't hide the road. Heck, Orlando goons are also concerned about it. It's a raised Interstate that's constantly busy and it overlooks the park, it's not just next to it.

I can't imagine Universal have helped themselves considering they're building right up to the edge of the park boundary, not leaving that much room for a berm to hide it all behind. @CanobieFan twitter photo kinda shows that.

I hope I'm wrong though and I'm sure it'll be fab either way.

Lofty

CF Legend
Yes, I have been past it, and yes, it is still possible.

When I referenced Phantasialand, I wasn't comparing the roads, I was comparing the concept of how they managed to envelop the area and make it one tiny world with no 'outside' visible. This could easily do the same, using the same principles...

nadroJ

CF Legend
Yes, I have been past it, and yes, it is still possible.

When I referenced Phantasialand, I wasn't comparing the roads, I was comparing the concept of how they managed to envelop the area and make it one tiny world with no 'outside' visible. This could easily do the same, using the same principles...

Same, literally went past in May when the flumes were half erected. It's possible, and all about misdirection. Or they'll just do a Universal Japan and trying to pass it off as a movie backdrop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
It's not so much the sight of the interstate that will be difficult to hide though, that'll be easy enough. But it's not gunna be relaxing sitting on a sun lounger listening to a highway.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Have faith, this is Universal we're talking about. Don't think this wasn't brought up and discussed when they planned the thing. They'll work some sort of ridiculous magic and sort it out and I guarantee you'll be laying on a beach saying 'what highway?'

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Have faith, this is Universal we're talking about. Don't think this wasn't brought up and discussed when they planned the thing. They'll work some sort of ridiculous magic and sort it out and I guarantee you'll be laying on a beach saying 'what highway?'

Probably more like "Did you say highway? I can't hear you over the sound of those waterfalls."

That, or loud music. Or they'll have to put up some amazing sound barriers.

Lofty

CF Legend
If you want to relax by a beach, go to Daytona. I really don't get this at all? Enthusiasts have to pick holes in ****ing everything instead of just enjoying it and looking forward to what is going to be one of the world's best water parks...