What's new

Universal IoA | Jurassic World VelociCoaster | Intamin Blitz | 2021

catsounds

Mega Poster
random question: how do they manage to pull through the launch sections? do they put some power on so that they aren't acting as brakes?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
random question: how do they manage to pull through the launch sections? do they put some power on so that they aren't acting as brakes?
You can just pull it slowly. The magnetic braking forces are very small when the trains are moving slowly - I don't know the specifics of the trains and magnets well enough to crunch the numbers properly, but I'd strongly wager it takes more 'effort' to pull the train up through the steep track sections than through the launch track.

Or @Dar's suggestion, of course, but I think that's just making work for yourself. :p

PetskuC

Mega Poster
You can just pull it slowly. The magnetic braking forces are very small when the trains are moving slowly - I don't know the specifics of the trains and magnets well enough to crunch the numbers properly, but I'd strongly wager it takes more 'effort' to pull the train up through the steep track sections than through the launch track.

Or @Dar's suggestion, of course, but I think that's just making work for yourself. :p
Yes, you are correct.

This is because Faraday's law of induction. TL;DR the faster something conductive (the fins on the train) move trough a magnetic field (general magnets, launches, brakes) the faster it will be decelerated. This is also why the brakes on launch coasters are extremely aggressive when you first enter them, but less so when the train has slowed down.

But when you do a pull trough of the rest of the track you have gravity that is in the way. As you all know gravity affects us all the time, hence why the launches are much easier to pull trough.

Ries

Mega Poster
If you see the pictures or video's of the front two cars from the train on top of the top hat. It looks weird.
The train looks very big, which makes the top hat looks small. Must be because of the white plastic wrap.

And if the recreation in Nolimits of amusement insider is correct. You will hit the first break with a substantial speed.
Click

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
^^The mistake there is assuming that recreation is accurate. That video should be viewed almost like concept art, from a general "this is what the ride will look like" perspective rather than exact shaping, scaling, speeds, etc.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I do have an unthemed NL2 layout of the coaster (accurate to scale and all) which I can look at if you want something a bit more accurate, but even then, it's impossible to get it spot on.

Ries

Mega Poster
^^The mistake there is assuming that recreation is accurate. That video should be viewed almost like concept art, from a general "this is what the ride will look like" perspective rather than exact shaping, scaling, speeds, etc.

That's why I mentioned that if the recreation is correct. I was not assuming. ;)
It can only be close to correct if they would have had the measurements.

I do have an unthemed NL2 layout of the coaster (accurate to scale and all) which I can look at if you want something a bit more accurate, but even then, it's impossible to get it spot on.

Curious, how did you scale if that is not known. It seems impossible to know (for now) how tall the first bit is after the first launch. And how long the launches.

Ethan

Strata Poster
That's why I mentioned that if the recreation is correct. I was not assuming. ;)
It can only be close to correct if they would have had the measurements.

Curious, how did you scale if that is not known. It seems impossible to know (for now) how tall the first bit is after the first launch. And how long the launches.
Referencing things around it. Again, it's not completely 100% but compared to the one posted on this page, I'd say it is. Also the track size helps. I feel like some people that do recreations never take a step back at each part they made and see if it actually looks the same.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
Referencing things around it. Again, it's not completely 100% but compared to the one posted on this page, I'd say it is. Also the track size helps. I feel like some people that do recreations never take a step back at each part they made and see if it actually looks the same.
Have you got any images of/links to this? Really interested to see :)

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
That is probably the quietest major ride announcement I've ever seen.
It's not an announcement and the last sentence that mentions Jurassic World Velocicoaster, that @davidm highlighted, has since been deleted. Guess someone posted something they shouldn't have. So although not confirmed, it seems like that's indeed the name.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Jurassic World Velocicoaster....i'm not sure how I feel about the sound of that. Think its the official name? I'm sure i'll get used to it however if it is ?
Remember, this is the park that named Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. It's not a stretch to say their PR team is more concerned with cramming all the required trademarks into the ride name than making a name that rolls comfortably off the tongue.