What's new

Uncle Arly's films.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
http://www.youtube.com/user/FlashRoe

So, me and my uni friend, Ëpha Roe decided to join forces and create a youtube page.

We both go to De Montfort; he studies Photography & Video whilst I study Dance.

Before I move on to our first joint project (see below the next two videos) I'll give you two examples of our separate work.

Here is one of Ëpha's videos.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjztzVo8zkw&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=6cM5r9k29jM[/youtube]

And here is one of me dancing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtLf_weRjNg&feature=mfu_in_order&playnext=1&videos=gUsNujC4EeU[/youtube]

Joint project.
Ëpha was given a brief which was a 20-30 second video (taken on a phone), in which, he could not show the persons face, and had to include 3 times of day. Because he could not show the face, he had to use some method of showing the persons abilities/interests. (The person is me). So have a look and if you like, let us know, subscribe, :)

Here is out first joint project, nothing spectacular, but hopefully you'll enjoy. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a2ciCfxqr0[/youtube]

http://www.youtube.com/user/FlashRoe

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
New short horror, 'Jenny' coming soon.

74838_1597692296418_1059311230_31641835_5452841_n.jpg

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
So, we decided to do a re-imagining of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights music video. We were going to shoot the video at North Wales Hospital (Denbigh asylum) which had been abandoned for a number of years.

We had a small dance/choreography rehearsal which can be seen below:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU9OO4MAklo[/youtube]

Now onto the video shoot itself...

Saturday 13th November - North Wales Hospital (Denbigh asylum), Wuthering Heights shoot.

Epha, Yasmyn, Kerri, Epha's friend Jenny and myself woke up at 6:30am in order to prepare for the day. We packed the car with everything we needed, it turned out quite a lot! By 8:30, we were on our way.

It took around 3 and a half hours to get to Denbigh as it was in a remote part of North Wales. We had real trouble trouble trying to find it, but we eventually did, and it looked beautiful. We were worried as it looked pretty hard to get into with massive gates with no trespassing signs everywhere, however, we knew we could get in, as we had read over the internet about others doing so.

We parked the car on top of a hill overlooking the hospital and decided we would walk down towards it with the equipment. We approached a house within a driveway that was infront of the hospital grounds, we decided this would be the best way in.

Me and Yaz wasted no time and immediately ran over and successfully got into the grounds. What a site Denbigh was, I was really taken aback by it's beauty and natural eeriness.

North Wales Hospital - Front.
76638_1612631389886_1059311230_31667296_4945052_n.jpg

We realised that Epha, Kerri and Jenny had still not made it, so we went back to see what was going on, the three were pretty nervous about it, with Jenny refusing to go in (I don't blame her it was terrifying!), Epha came into the grounds next.

With Kerri still undecided, I ran back to the road to ask if she wanted. She had doubts, but I knew she would regret it if she did not come, eventually I got her over the fence, but she was too nervous and decided to sit in the car with Jenny.

So, Epha, Yaz and myself went through a arch to the left of the building to begin filming. I won't say too much about this as I do not want to spoil the film, but it is an amazing place. It's so much bigger than I initially thought, and I knew it was going to be huge. The state if the building inside is really sad. It's falling to pieces. It's just rubble, bricks and peeling paint, nonetheless, it's absolutely amazing, and we really want to back on day just to have a look around, as we only looked at about 20% of it.

Here are a couple more pictures of the place, just to give you a feel of the place.

Nurse call button in padded cell number 4.

76812_1612636230007_1059311230_31667312_1383127_n.jpg

Large room in a smaller building, this is where the padded cells were situated.
76104_1612632549915_1059311230_31667299_5413055_n.jpg

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That's a very interesting setting for the video. I'm looking forward to the final video.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
We have a new video complete. Again it's a visual interpretation, this time of 'Technicolour' by Paloma Faith.

Oh, I'm in this one, very briefly :)

Would be much appreciated if you watched and commented as all feedback is welcome :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBKe6aYUoCU[/youtube]

Ollie

CF Legend
Uncle Arly said:
Oh, I'm in this one, very briefly :)
Where you can see you holding the camera in the reflection of the window several times? :p

I liked it though. A few of the shots were quite shakey but it was good. :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Not too bad. Personally it was a bit too samey for me, basically the same two shots (besides a couple of cuts to the kitchen scene) and I generally don't like stuff like that. Having said that, I think that might just be my personal preference.

Camera work was good actually, not many shakes on the main shots. The editing was ok, some of the changes didn't seem to happen 'on-the-beat' and the lip-syncing was good too.

Overall, not bad. :p

jokerman

Giga Poster
I'm going to agree with Hixee. It needed more "narrative" shots, such as the kitchen, and only occasionally coming back to the static shots, generally at the beginning, end and at places in the song such as bridges. Try having two different "narratives", rather than just the one point of interest. The use of the balls though was a great idea though, and it was very interesting to watch.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I completely forgot to post this here.

http://vimeo.com/23718836

Our new film 'Invisible Light'. It's a short dance/music/film/video/visual interpretation on the Scissor Sister's 'Invisible Light'.

Please watch and comment.

P.S It's slow at the start, but gets better, I promise :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I'll start off by saying that music videos are not really my cup of tea, but I'll try to put that aside and tell you what I thought. Please bear in mind some of my criticisms may stem from that rather than a direct fault with the video.

The first thing I noticed, and sadly this is a criticism, was the camera noise on the opening shot. I know it's an incredibly difficult noise to eliminate, especially when working outdoors on uneven terrain, but it makes things sound a bit cheap and unprofessional. This is probably just my taste, but I think the sounds like that should be limited to the action camera style shots only (headcams etc where you want the grittiness).

As for the main bulk of the video, I didn't really get what was going on, but it looked very good. The quality was great and I did like some of the shots. I thought some of it was a little repetitive, but I thought it was well put together and rather creatively shot. I was especially a fan of the smoke at the end... :p

Damn, now I've finished writing what I thought it seems like there's more bad than good. That's really not the case, like I said, this might be down to me not really 'getting' these sort of videos. Good work on putting it together and well done on the creative side too.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Any feedback is appreciated, so don't worry, Hixee! :)

Yeah, the noise at the start really bugged me (I didn't do any filming or editing on this shoot, just a bit of direction, so I can't really comment on that).

The 'story' is that the nightmare (one with the hour glass) has put me to sleep, and the dream (balooons) is trying regain control...and I'm just dreaming and dancing my way through it :lol:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Uncle Arly said:
Yeah, the noise at the start really bugged me (I didn't do any filming or editing on this shoot, just a bit of direction, so I can't really comment on that).
Yeah, I'd have thought the one editing it (I seem to remember you said they studied video stuff) would've noticed it too! :p

The 'story' is that the nightmare (one with the hour glass) has put me to sleep, and the dream (balooons) is trying regain control...and I'm just dreaming and dancing my way through it :lol:
I see. Very abstract really. :D

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
Hixee said:
Uncle Arly said:
Yeah, I'd have thought the one editing it (I seem to remember you said they studied video stuff) would've noticed it too! :p

True! And we did notice, but unfortunately, we didn't realise until it came to editing, (filming was done in Herefordshire, where myself and the filmer don't live, we just visited for a few days) so we couldn't go back and re-shoot.

But, we learn from our mistakes! :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Uncle Arly said:
Hixee said:
Uncle Arly said:

True! And we did notice, but unfortunately, we didn't realise until it came to editing, (filming was done in Herefordshire, where myself and the filmer don't live, we just visited for a few days) so we couldn't go back and re-shoot.

But, we learn from our mistakes! :)
Oh yes, I did forget you were talking in it too, making a simple mute job a bit trickier. :D