What's new

Tranan at Skara Sommarland collides

andrus

Giga Poster
The S&S free fly coaster Tranan at Swedish amusement park Skara Sommarland had an incident this saturday. One of the cars didn't stop at the final brakerun and collided with a car in the station. Several people where injured. Nothing serious though, only bruises.

The incident was caused by an electrical malfunction. The exact reason to why the brakes didn't work is still unknown, and the attraction will stay closed until the park finds out the reason to why the brakes didn't work.

This is yet another S&S attraction with problems and will not look good for future sales. It's a shame really since their attractions are innovative. But with explosions in pneumatic tanks, re-welding of entire coasters and brakes that doesn't work S&S sure isn't the first of choices for amusement parks that are considering a new coaster...

Intricks

Strata Poster
Cause a brake failure means that they are an unsafe manfacturer? Oh lord...

The ring racer issue was bad, but to my knowledge that was the ONLY explosion for their launched rides, and the re-welding was to work out the forces, correct? At least they found that problem and fixed before opening up the ride unlike some other coaster manufacturer.

Gee willickers, the company must be in dire straits right now and barely keeping afloat.

andrus

Giga Poster
^They where re-welding two of the chinese coasters, right? And now they're re-welding the family coaster at Etnaland too. That is not looking good.. And even though there wasn't any major injuries this time, a failing braking system on a new ride like Tranan should not happen! The result could have been much worse than it was.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Only the one, the Snow Eagle Mountain Fortress thing....the white one with the tunnel, was worked on heavily andndelayed whereas the second one was worked on as a precautionary measure; however, they werent open to the public yet. Isnt Etnaland their first minetrain as well?

Tranan has been open for 4 years, so something like a brake failure (caused by an electrical problem mind you) can happen.

These few issues wont cause any massive long tern duress onto the Company. Look at Intamin. Theyve had a host of issues over the years and they still get business (no longer stateside for now though).

Its teething issues for the rest since they are a design they havent really designed before. Tranan is just a misshap.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
WTH? Any failure in a braking system is supposed to lock the brakes CLOSED. Something isn't right if anything else happened.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
First Mushy posted about Psyké Underground not opening until August when Ian and I will be there in a couple of weeks and now this?! Hope they get it back up and running again before Ian and I arrive at Skara Sommarland at the beginning of August.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Urgh, this was the ride I was most looking forward to. What an arse. Glad everybody is ok though.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
ECG said:
Hope they get it back up and running again before Ian and I arrive at Skara Sommarland at the beginning of August.

Hope it will be running, it's a pretty cool ride (and pretty much the only ride at Skara worth riding!).

Always wondered why it didn't have magnetic brakes though, everything looks so high-tech on the ride, except the brakes.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Yeah, but mag brakes normally can't completely stop a ride. You need something else to stop it completely, whether regular friction brakes or friction wheels.