What's new

(tr)Action Park is back, opening this summer

bmac

Giga Poster
14622449-large.jpg

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/ind..._past_action_park_is_back_for_the_summer.html

VERNON — The rainbow letters, a visual blast from the past, were put up at the Mountain Creek Ski Resort on April 1.

But “Action Park” is not an April Fool’s joke – the name that became famous, and infamous, in the 1980s before shutting down, is coming out of mothballs.

“It’s not April Fool’s – the Action is back,” said the ski resort’s Facebook page Wednesday.

The water park is returning to the same name abandoned about 20 years ago, the resort added.

Note. The article was posted April 3rd

davidm

Strata Poster
Gives a reason to post this;

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDHqfhyCbbM[/youtube]

The waterslide at 8:20 and hillslide thing at 4:50 looking particularly safe.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Wow I've never seen actual footage of the Cannonball loop being used! Nice find! It's interesting to see a park buying into their dangerous reputation (albeit from the past) instead of trying to cover it up! (Although you couldn't do this if people didn't generally have fond memories of the "danger"!)

bmac

Giga Poster
SilverArrow said:
Wow I've never seen actual footage of the Cannonball loop being used! Nice find! It's interesting to see a park buying into their dangerous reputation (albeit from the past) instead of trying to cover it up! (Although you couldn't do this if people didn't generally have fond memories of the "danger"!)

To be honest it was actually a smart move. Their reputation with the old name serves as free marketing in a sense with all the word of mouth about its history. Literally it's apart of New Jersey folklore, pretty much every local knows about it in some way. It's also much easier to associate by a name everyone already knows about instead of "oh you mean that park that was renamed from Action Park?"

Hopefully the safety actually comes first this time, they're actually talking seriously about bringing in some sort of looping slide @.@

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
bmac said:
SilverArrow said:

To be honest it was actually a smart move. Their reputation with the old name serves as free marketing in a sense with all the word of mouth about its history. Literally it's apart of New Jersey folklore, pretty much every local knows about it in some way. It's also much easier to associate by a name everyone already knows about instead of "oh you mean that park that was renamed from Action Park?"

Hopefully the safety actually comes first this time, they're actually talking seriously about bringing in some sort of looping slide @.@

Yeah, I agree. It's a unique win situation.

I assume it will be one of those "almost looping" slides like the ones in Germany and West Edmonton Mall, but who knows. That or it will be an on-going rumour started by the park to gain interest.

Something to watch anyway.

Nic

Strata Poster
Wow! I've read so much about TrAction Park, particularly Canonball Loop, but I've never seen any actual footage. Puts pay to all those internet rumours that it "killed" a test dummy so never actually opened :roll: Thanks for posting, Lord M :D