What's new

Top Rides in the UK

junonyt

Roller Poster
Does anybody Know of some Great Rides in the UK?

I like Rollercoaster, shaft Drops, water rides, ANYTHING!

So, any good ones that you reccomend

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Check out www.coasterforce.com

They have lots of info on UK rides, if you just read the park guides. They are easy to find from their main page. CoasterForce, being Britain-based, have info on most parks and ride in the whole island group. Have fun reading, and come back with your views!

nealbie

CF Legend
Pokemaniac said:
Check out www.coasterforce.com

They have lots of info on UK rides, if you just read the park guides. They are easy to find from their main page. CoasterForce, being Britain-based, have info on most parks and ride in the whole island group. Have fun reading, and come back with your views!

I think your sarcasm may have just killed me Poke! :p

Pierre

Strata Poster
There was no real need to be such a dick about things... although it probably should be in polls & opinions.

For me personally, Valhalla at Blackpool is one of the UK must-do's (especially with it effects working)... stunning ride.

As for rollercoasters, I'd say Oblivion, for the tension, and the Ultimate... you just won't get another ride like the Ultimate anywhere... and although LWV aren't closing, the future isn't as certain for the park or its coaster as other places, so do it quick!

For a drop tower, Apocalypse is amazing, and as much as I hate to say it, so is Detonator.
Cliffhanger is pretty decent when on shot&drop but thats a rarity.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
The Ultimate, Oblivion, Nemesis, Air (if you've never been on it).

And I do agree with Pierre, if Valhallas running properly, it's the best water ride in this country.

Ben

CF Legend
Valhalla is GOD awful. We have NO good water rides. Saying Valhalla is the best British water ride is the equivalent of saying "Testicular cancer's the cancer you want". You don't want any of them, really. And the same goes for our water rides - they are all ****!

Our best coaster, I would say, is the Ultimate. Then Oblivion and Rita.

For Drop Towers I'd go with Apocalypse, Detonator or Venom at West Midlands Safari Park (though, I don't think anyone at the Live was THAT impressed with it, so it may have gone a bit downhill since I rode it).

For flats, I'd probably go with... uh... Eagle's Claw?

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I agree, none of our water rides (well the ones I have been on) were of a high standard, but if I had to offer a best water ride, Valhalla would be the one.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Just make a trip to Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and Blackpool and you've basically hit the majority here.

At Alton Towers; the more unique coasters are found here, such as AIR (Worlds first B&M Flyer), Oblivion (Worlds first vertical drop coaster) and even Nemesis which is widely regarded the best in the country! There is one significant flat ride which is Ripsaw, but the latter are rather poor.

Thorpe is the best if you're looking for thrills nearest to "US" standards. For coasters, you have Colossus (previous record holder for most inversions), Stealth (previous record holder for fastest in Europe), Saw: the Ride which I'm sure you've heard of by now, and Nemesis Inferno which is a great forceful inverted coaster. If you're into flat rides you'll get along with Thorpe rather well, as they offer the best in the country (in my opinion), with Rush, Slammer and Detonator alone! Thorpe is not too bad for water rides, Tidal Wave maybe a little disappointing but Loggers Leap is definately one of the best log flumes around.

Blackpool is like travelling back into the past, where rollercoasters were slightly too dangerous and rather nerve-racking to risk on. But if this is your package, then you won't find anywhere else in the UK. It also has (in my opinion), the best water ride in the country "Valhalla", and if you're into this kind of coaster then you should be quite attached to the woodies. Great fun day out.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Kebab said:
Thorpe is the best if you're looking for thrills nearest to "US" standards.

While I do think Thorpe should be visited by a ride enthusiast, I can only ever see that sentence being used by somebody who has never visited the States.

In fact, before I went to the States, if I'd thought that, I'd have never left the UK because it wouldn't have been worth the effort.

The advice is generally good though, those three parks pretty much cover most of the best the UK has to offer and are all easy to get to.

On top of that, I'd say The Ultimate is worth heading to Lightwater Valley for. I don't like it personally, but it's a hell of an experience anyway.

Then I'd also make the trip to Oakwood for Megafobia and the tea tray ride.

Flamingoland is worth checking out if you're in the area, but there's nothing massively special there - but some people seem to love it.

In terms of flats, Drayton Manor has my two favourites - Maelstrom and Pandemonium. It also has the highly rated Apocalypse. I love Shockwave as well, it's short and doesn't do much, but the zero-g <3. Plus it's the only Stand Up roller coaster in Europe still :)

That about covers it really, but I would also say that Fantasy Island is worth heading over to for Jubilee Odyssey. I loved it when I first rode it, but I'll give it a new review in September when I'll hopefully get to ride it again.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
kebab said:
There is one significant flat ride which is Ripsaw

This makes me sad. Alton is a great park, but the best flat ride they have is a ten-a-penny Huss top spin.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
^Yeah, I know... but... it's a proper noun, and so I dislike Alton's grammatical mistake :p

It's actually a font issue. Alton always refer to the ride as Air officially :)

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
gavin said:
kebab said:
There is one significant flat ride which is Ripsaw

This makes me sad. Alton is a great park, but the best flat ride they have is a ten-a-penny Huss top spin.

My thoughts exactly -once SW6 is in - they really need to get some nice flat rides in - preferably things that aren;t seen too often in the UK, or are just nicely themed.

A

Anonymous

junonyt said:

Nemesis and Oblivion at alton towers defo

A

Anonymous

junonyt said:

Oh yh and Inferno Colossus and SAW at thorpe park