What's new

Top 5 (or 10) Stomach Dropping Coasters

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Yep Saw's first drop every time. Never really understand why it affects me so much, but it does.

Other than that, Revolution actually makes my stomach churn. Can't think of much else that does.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster
Edward M said:
One you might not think is the 3rd drop on Cannonball Run@ Waterville USA, pretty intense airtime!

Riding it this April and again this June! Gulf Shores is really great, I've been there 4 times and there's lots to do there, I just love it. The bad thing is I've never been to Waterville USA yet. :(

Anyway stomach dropping is not a "scary" feeling, it's this feeling stomach that's tingly and a sinking feeling for anyone that thinks it's a "scary" feeling.

Nick P

Mega Poster
Is it weird that a pirate ship gave me this feeling...? It was the middle of the day and we were taking a break so decided to hop on the generic pirate ship. (Non-inveting) If you just sit back and relax it gives you that small butterflies sensation in your stomach. For me at least. This was 2 years ago though.

Anyways, MF–definitely the best drop for this feeling. Basically any hyper/giga with a parabolic drop gives that good old stomach turning feeling, but only if it's the first ride of the day. After that my body immediately kicks into coaster mode and losses that feeling since I'm no longer scared of roller coasters like I used to be.

Snowman

Roller Poster
I've found that they've stopped being as entertaining because there's no adrenaline going on after you've gotten used to the ride. The most fun I've ever had on a coaster was my first time on Lightning Racer, simply because it was my first real coaster experience and I was scared silly.

Millennium Force still gets me, and Skyrush does a fine job because it just has such intense airtime. Rock Bottom Plunge at MOA and RipRockitRideWhatever also got me pretty good, almost definitely because of the vertical lift. Vertical lifts make me rather uncomfortable, and the rest of the ride can be pretty intense after one. Except for Fahrenheit, because it's crap.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Another roller coaster worth mentioning are Intamin Zacspins. Since there is only one car, you are always at the back row! I know reputations for these roller coasters can be mixed and matched, but Green Lantern gave a particularly intense negative-g experience during my rides.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
MForce.
Long, but you still feel like you're falling.
Guess 80 degrees is just right! I305 doesn't have nearly the same feeling.

Skyrush last row. Sweet mother of god <3

Edward M

Strata Poster
Quick nostalgic note, The Pirate Ship @ Pizza Planet in Texas. I always went on the "kiddie" rides but there was one ride thr scared me. The pirate ship was very loud and almost hit the ceiling. I was only 5 and none of my friends would go on it but I wanted to be tough so I got on. When hit the top, My stomach dropped and I loved it. Even though I didn't know it, but I think my addiction started there (and at Six Flags over Texas! :p )

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
The pre-drop on Apollo's Chariot followed by the tight parabola on its 210ft descent definitely provides an awesome feeling for this.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I used to get the feeling on like every coaster, but I as I ride bigger and steeper ones, I start to lose that feeling.

Some of the most stomach dropping coasters I've been include Millennium Force, Top Thrill Dragster (exiting the top hat), and Griffon.