What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Sounds like I missed the cutoff for the aggregated CF rankings, but no worry. Here's how my top 20 sits as of now:

1637270001006.png

Velocicoaster found a solid footing at #4. As @Hyde mentioned in his trip report, it's a master class of a ride, but the rides above it (and a lot below it) simply have more power to them. I would have preferred a little bit more intensity, but it's by no means a bad thing that it isn't more intense. If anything, it's a more rideable coaster the way it is.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
1. Untamed
2. Zadra
3. Ride To Happiness
4. Karnan
5. Expedition Geforce
6. Wildfire
7. Hyperion
8. Shambhala
9. Taron
10. Kondaa

A few new entries and a slight reshuffle this year. Untamed still sits as my favourite coaster by a large margin, the pacing and strength of airtime hasn't been beaten. 2 to 6 is interchangeable, all offer different experiences and aren't easy to compare but in my mind they're all of an equal high quality. Helix is now out the top ten but it's been 5 years since I rode it and I'm struggling to pinpoint how it made me feel at the time.

There may be some recency bias in the list as Karnan and RTH I rode for the first time in the last few months. Karnan earns its high place as I came off overwhelmed knowing I'd experienced something very special. The speed, airtime, lats and general violent vibe is extraordinary. It's rough round the edges but so exciting to ride. RTH is tough to rank as there's nothing like it and you can't benchmark it against coasters you feel are similar quality. It scores high on the 'if I could ride any coaster right now what would it be?' test so number 3 earned in my eyes.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Sounds like I missed the cutoff for the aggregated CF rankings, but no worry. Here's how my top 20 sits as of now:

View attachment 14630

Velocicoaster found a solid footing at #4. As @Hyde mentioned in his trip report, it's a master class of a ride, but the rides above it (and a lot below it) simply have more power to them. I would have preferred a little bit more intensity, but it's by no means a bad thing that it isn't more intense. If anything, it's a more rideable coaster the way it is.
I've been known to squeeze a ranking or two under the wire as we work with the data, especially if we have a better sample of the top-added 2021 coaster. ;)

The greater challenge (we discovered last year) is merging the Norwegian and American Google Sheets, which operate with different . and , decimal demarcation systems. 😅

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
For data collection purposes, I'll just count them in the order of appearance.

Good thing we have technically passed the cutoff date, meaning this will be an issue to be resolved in late 2022. By then, you might have produced a more conventional list.

Oh, and I better get going with this year's data collection one day. It's been a few weeks since October 31 already. I blame all the work around completing my PhD, which technically ended two weeks ago.
Genuinely didn't realise this was for any data collection thing 😂 just read the last few posts that were top 10s. Was bored today and Thought I'd figure out mine.

But now I know, I promise to make next year's even more vague and confusing. Maybe just pictograms or a list of just the number of bolts in each of my favourite rides instead of names. 😋

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Genuinely didn't realise this was for any data collection thing 😂 just read the last few posts that were top 10s. Was bored today and Thought I'd figure out mine.
It is a general Top 10s thread, but I go through it every year and collect the lists into a big spreadsheet @Hyde does some magic with, so we can determine the most popular rides overall on this site. Then again, we've always wondered what to do with the "in no particular order" lists, but I think we've landed on just running with "yes in particular order" and entered them in the order they were written. It shouldn't matter enough to bump Steel Vengeance off the throne anyway.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Updated Top 10 (new addition in bold):

1. Voyage
2. Intimidator 305
3. Maverick
4. Skyrush
5. Mindbender (Galaxyland)
6. Fury 325
7. Goliath (Georgia)
8. El Toro - Having heard about how incredible this coaster is for years, my expectations were sky-high. While it wasn’t the Voyage-beater I hoped it could’ve been, those expectations were pretty much met. The first half of El Toro, namely the first drop and 2 large camelbacks, has absolutely incredible sustained ejector air - it was straight euphoria, and the strongest start to any coaster I've ridden so far. The Rolling Thunder hill is also surreal, definitely the highlight of El Toro, and I found the rest of the ride (the twister section finale, as well as everything between the turnaround and Rolling Thunder hill) to be pretty intense - but unfortunately substantially rougher than expected and lacking in airtime. El Toro isn't “as smooth as a steel coaster”, but to be fair, it is less rough than most other woodies I’ve done. In conclusion, I definitely prefer Voyage, but El Toro is my 2nd favorite wooden coaster regardless. El Toro has 4 incredible moments, but the rest of those 45 seconds left a bit to be desired, while Voyage constantly throws good (and sometimes great) elements at you one after another, non-stop for 85 seconds straight.
9. Kumba
10. Phoenix (Knoebels)

Snoo

The Legend
Hello Velocicoaster. :D

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 Jurassic World Velocicoaster - Islands of Adventure
3 Lightning Rod - Dollywood
4 Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
5 Voyage - Holiday World
6 Goliath - Six Flags Great America
7 Fury 325 - Carowinds
8 Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
9 Jersey Devil - Six Flags Great Adventure
10 SkyRush - Hersheypark

11 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
12 Wildfire - Kolmarden
13 Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
14 Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
15 Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee
16 Copperhead Strike - Carowinds
17 Orion - Kings Island
18 Afterburn - Carowinds
19 Phantom's Revenge - Kennywood
20 Maverick - Cedar Point
21 Boardwalk Bullet - Kemah Boardwalk
22 Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
23 Nitro - Six Flags Great Adventure
24 Mystic Timbers - Kings Island
25 Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
26 Phoenix - Knoebels
27 Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom
28 X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain
29 Steel Curtain - Kennywood
30 Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa

Last edited:

Edward M

Strata Poster
  1. Lightning Rod- Still not confident in putting this above SteVe, but I did so for a variety of reasons. One is that my memories associated with LRod are still among my favorite I've had at a park. Those ERT night rides just a few days after opening where that coaster was hauling WAY too fast. Bragging rights I have not attained before or since. Then, there's the layout. As great as SteVe's maximalist approach to airtime is, I have some major gripes with it. The biggest of which is how unmemorable the elements of its second half are. Don't get me wrong: the second half of SteVe is probably the greatest stretch of coaster track out there. But, for me, I prefer a layout with distinctive elements and moments. The way SteVe handles itself is to get lost in its structure, getting airtime whenever and however it can. I like how LRod is so simple in its approach. You can list off its elements by hand: launch, first drop, wave turn, outward high five kinda wave turn, airtime hill, quad down, turnaround. Lastly, and simultaneously the most surface level and personal, is the park it's in. I just want my favorite coaster to be in a park that is quintessentially southern. After 5 years in NYC, I've come around to my love of the southern USA, flaws and all. And I just love the prospect of my favorite coaster being in this park that is all about that part of the country. Not only that but also in a park named after the queen herself: Dolly Parton.
  2. Steel Vengeance- Still though, SteVe is the best coaster I've ridden. I may not prefer the maximalist approach in general with coaster layouts, but SteVe takes maximalism to such an extreme that it becomes a category of coaster unto itself. There really are two types of coasters: Steel Vengeance and everything else.
  3. Helix- People who don't think Helix is one of the best coasters on the planet are CRAZY. What more could you ask for?!? It's got the most fully realized layout of any coaster. Floater airtime, ejector airtime, lateral airtime, hangtime, launches, and terrain hugging positive Gs all over the place. Then, you've got one of the greatest settings for a coaster on a hillside in the downtown of a Swedish city. THEN, you've got the best trains on any coaster. What other coaster train could I fall asleep in? THENNNN, you've got the sheer length of it. Providing 7 inversions, two launches, and about as large a variety of forces that you can ask for. Even as I'm typing this out, I'm wondering how on earth this isn't my favorite coaster.
  4. Outlaw Run- This was the coaster that I grew up with. I visited every year during my most formative coastering years, 2013-2017. I haven't ridden it since, but my memories of it are as strong as ever. Even among RMC's topper track offerings, Outlaw feels distinctly wooden. I think ElToroRyan said it best when he talked about how the steel wheels and the track create this riding sensation that's to die for. It just tears through the woods with element after element of iconic RMC airtime. Then, there's how the ride felt in its opening year. It's hard to understand how unique this coaster felt at the time. Sure, we had amazing coasters like El Toro and the Voyage to define just how far wooden coasters could go. But, Outlaw Run was truly the next generation of wooden coaster. It had the flexibility of a steel coaster with the distinct feel of a wood coaster.
  5. El Toro- The biggest jump of any coaster I've ridden. It is my home coaster, more or less. And, I've ridden it more than any other coaster. I would like to argue, here and now, that El Toro is the best paced coaster I've ridden. From a sheer storytelling standpoint, it's flawless. A fast chain lift into a slow turnaround creates a perfect sense of anticipation. Then the unreal first drop, where it feels like level ground you're sitting on is being pulled out from under your feet. Two perfectly placed airtime hills with intense ejector that lasts just long enough. The coaster turns around with a distinctive wood coaster crunch in its valley. Next is the most important part of the ride: the quick break. I've heard criticism of the airtimeless hill between the turnaround and rolling thunder hill, and I used to be a part of that criticism. However, after 40+ rides, I think it's vital to making the ride feel substantial. Much like how a third act only feels climactic because of the lull at the end of the second act. It is a quick breather before the best part of the ride. You might think I'm speaking of the rolling thunder hill, which is a part of the highlight of the ride. However, my favorite moment on the ride is the twister section. It tears through this section like nobody's business, with strong positive Gs making the track scream out. Every time the coaster hits this section, I'm reminded why this is one of my favorites. It finally finds its way to the brake run, ending one of the most perfectly constructed rides ever built.
  6. Taron - Taron is one helluva coaster. The way it weaves over and around both itself and the land it dominates is such a pleasure to watch and to ride. Just a shame that it's at such a mediocre park (ducks and hides).
  7. Skyrush- This coaster feels like a mistake. Like somebody put the wrong numbers into a coaster designing program. From its lethal quirk on the first drop to its "who in their right mind would put this airtime hill so low" first two airtime hills to its far too aggressive banking changes to its restraints that are designed for the ultimate sense of freedom and ultimate sense of pain, it just feels like a science experiment gone wrong. A science experiment that cost $25 million and is now a staple of one of the most popular parks in the country. Who let this happen?
  8. Voyage- The best coaster layout. Never before or since has there been such a clever use of terrain on a coaster. Climbing up a hill only to fall back down it, which ends up with a coaster over a mile long that somehow feels faster hitting the brakes than it did after the first drop. I'm dying to get back on this one. It has absolutely everything I love about a coaster, and it should be higher up. However, I last rode it in 2016. And it was absolutely brutal. Among the roughest coasters I've ever ridden. I hear nothing but immense praise for how it's been riding after 2020, and I could easily see this shooting up the list once I can reride. Lastly, I cannot express in words how lethal a moonless night ride on this is. Riders be warned... it's a lot.
  9. X2- The highest placed coaster I've only ridden once. And what a ride it was!! Front row during the sunset with no idea just what I was in for. Still, I have so much trouble placing any coaster I've only ridden once. It remains one of the best single coaster rides I've had, but the flaws in its experience were apparent even in that one go. It starts and ends as well as a coaster can, but it has a very laggy middle as it quite literally shuffles its way to the second raven turn. Really need to get back on this.
  10. Phoenix- Went on a rant just a few pages back. Needless to say Phoenix SLAPS.
  11. Beast- Far and away the toughest coaster to rank. I haven't ridden this since my two rides in 2012 as a young and starry eyed enthusiast. However, it blew me away, and I still hold immense respect for it. It can be hard to understand just how revolutionary this coaster was. Built with the same mindset as a backyard coaster, it's one of the most impressively crafted ride experiences in the world. Sure, it may not have any airtime and can seem like a series of straight track. But, that, to me, seems like such a wasteful way to view an experience like this. There's no other coaster that seems to defy what a coaster should be. It plays by its own rules, completely outside what enthusiasts would consider a good ride. Its emphasis is on being a singular experience; a true beast of a ride. Going out miles into the middle of nowhere. Going out so far that it needs a second lift to even make it back. I still think of the Beast as the avant garde coaster. It breaks nearly every rule of coaster storytelling in an effort to create something completely new, and I think it fully succeeds. What other coaster reaches its top speed at an unknown moment; either after its second drop, before its second lift, or right before its climactic double helix. There has never been a coaster like the Beast before or since. It may not be a coaster enthusiast's definition of a great coaster, but I think that makes it all the more unique and worthwhile. I don't think every coaster needs to be an airtime machine or chock full of laterals. Some can simply be so fully themselves that they are their own genre of coaster. The Beast is the Beast, and no other coaster can make such a bold claim.
  12. Fury 325- I got a handful of rides on Fury in 2016, but it was such a rushed visit. I didn't get to know the coaster like I wish I could've. Still, the quality of the ride is extremely apparent. With an emphasis on trying to help the rider understand just how fast they're going, it's the ultimate realization of what a giga coaster can be. The same low to the ground turns and sense of speed that I305 has, but the GP can actually ride it. It's the opposite of everything I expect from a B&M, and I just love it for that.
  13. Boulder Dash- Ah Boulder Dash. One of the quintessential wooden coaster experiences. Hopping up and down a mountain for its first half then finishing with a fantastic plethora of airtime hills.
  14. Wildfire- The most beautiful coaster ever built with one of the best starts to a coaster. It really loses steam in its second half, but I can't help but still love it for its uniqueness.
  15. Untamed- My big issue with the smaller RMCs is they all bleed into one another. Much like SteVe's second half, it's a lack of distinctive elements in favor of squeezing airtime out of every moment possible. Of these smaller RMCs, Untamed is easily the best, if only for having its own distinctive elements throughout the layout. Still, I do find it a bit unmemorable as a totality. I think I may be spoiled by RMC at this point.
  16. Jersey Devil Coaster- When Jersey Devil is nice and warmed up, it HAULS. Easily one of the best first drops in the world followed by one of the best inversions in the world with its wondrous dive loop. A shame it loses so much steam in its MCBR and has a very lackluster finale. Still, everything leading into the MCBR is absolutely brilliant.
My God, what a monstrous post I've made!! Turns out I've got a lot to say on certain coasters.
So, I recently visited Dollywood and was quite worried that Lightning Rod could be dethroned. Luckily, it was decidedly not. Ridden in 2021 in italics.
  1. Lightning Rod - What a relief! I was never sure that LRod should be above SteVe, and the discourse surrounding LRod's RMCing has been quite negative. So, I went in hesitant. But, I was shocked to find I preferred it in 2021 to when I rode it in 2016!! It was certainly not running as fast as it did then (it was absolutely out of control on those ERT rides), but I found that its pacing was greatly improved when it ran as intended. There was more space between each element, and it allowed each moment to stand a bit more singularly. The experience wasn't perfect off the ride however. They only had one train running on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. So, even with a Fast Pass, I waited a collective 150 minutes for just 3 rides. It's worth noting that the rides still felt worth it, which I couldn't say for many other coasters on here. The ride was best in the back, overall, but I got my single favorite coaster ride I've had in the pitch black of night during 35 degree weather in the front row. My face felt absolutely frozen, but it only emphasized just how fantastic each element was. It was solidified when I saw the entirety of Dollywood lit up with Christmas lights as I hit each drop on the quad down. Just perfect!
  2. Steel Vengeance
  3. Helix
  4. El Toro - I don't think I realized how much El Toro meant to me until I lost it in the middle of this summer. I really took how great it was for granted. I could always hop over to Great Adventure after a bad week and marathon one of the best coasters in the world. Without it, the big effort it takes to get there from the city never felt like it was worth it. I had plans to take friends to Six Flags, but I felt the need to wait till Toro opened before I brought them. Can't wait to ride it in 2022!
  5. Outlaw Run
  6. Taron
  7. Skyrush
  8. Voyage
  9. X2
  10. Phoenix
  11. Beast
  12. Fury 325
  13. Boulder Dash
  14. Wildfire
  15. Cyclone, Coney Island - Talk about a twist! The coaster only an hour away on the F has been sitting there for the past 5 years, and I never knew what a masterpiece it was! How's that possible? I never did the back row. In the front and middle, it certainly had those brilliant laterals, but it missed out on the airtime. In the back though? My God. Each drop suddenly had such a punch to it! The first drop became one of the best in the world, and the second hill on its first return run had the best ejector airtime moment I've ever experienced. It shocked me. The combination of the single position lap bar and the bizarre kink in profiling created a distinctly dangerous feeling moment of airtime. I still can't believe such an amazing moment was so close to me.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I have a real sense of self-importance and have therefore taken the time to collate and submit my full rankings to the CoasterBot poll (see here). It excludes defunct rides and some are grouped together, so I guess my actual cred count is somewhere over 100. Looking at my wider ranking, outside of a top 10-20, for the first time, is pretty funny to me as I'm actually pretty indifferent to a lot of my list.

1 - 25: real excitement towards riding again
26 - 56: fun
57 - 78: might as well
79 - 92: whyyyy

I'm also genuinely more enthused to ride (and 'prefer') many smaller rides than larger-but-mediocre thrill rides, whether that's due to theming, good memories, or whatever. Here are some of the more bemusing entries (with a couple thrown in for 'grounding'):

15. Dragon Roller Coaster (Energylandia)
21. Kumba
25. Cancan Coaster
29. Stealth
34. Colerado Adventure
36. Nemesis Inferno
41. Alpenexpress (Europa)
50. Baron 1898
51. Scorpion Express (Chessington)
58. Blue Fire
69. Rita
75. Abyssus
80. Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit
89. The Big One
92. Infusion (at the very bottom)

Seems ridiculous to put Scorpion Express there, but if you could teleport me to either Scorpion Express or Blue Fire right now.... I'd truly rather ride Scorpion Express 🤷‍♂️

Every year this gets increasingly difficult as my cred count grows and let’s face it, this isn’t ‘Rank your top 10 chain dogs’; this is it. The definitive list.

It requires cutthroat decision making to decide which coasters are the best of the best. New loves will be founded and hearts will be broken; but are you really an enthusiast if you don’t love a good ol’ ranking?

A moment of silence for those coasters that have dropped out of my top 10.

Schwer Des Karnan

Fluch Von Novgorod

Expedition GeForce

Fenix

Oblivion

We will meet again one day, for the time being though it’s goodbye… but just look at my list now!

Top 10 Coasters
  1. Zadra
  2. Untamed
  3. Wildfire (Kolmarden)
  4. The Ride to Happiness
  5. X2
  6. Shambhala
  7. Hyperion
  8. Kondaa
  9. Taron
  10. Wodan
Oh yeah! That’s what I’m talking about! A very warm welcome to Wodan, Kondaa, Hyperion, The Ride to Happiness and my new number 1, Zadra.

Wodan
(sponsored by Mustang Jeans) was without a doubt the biggest surprise of the year for me and really won me over. To the point I feel it is deserved of a little rhyme.

In 2019, Wodan was caught with its Mustang Jeans down,
It was sluggish and forceless, leaving me with a frown,
In 2021, Wodan wore it’s Mustang Jeans with pride,
It was relentlessly forceful, leaving me with a smile 10 miles wide,

This year Wodan absolutely blistered through its layout, delivering solid pops of airtime wherever we sat and leaving us in awe of how good it was every single time. This is what a GCI this size should feel like.

Kondaa. Put Intamin’s new track/profiling, Expedition GeForce and a sprinkle of RMC imitation into a blender and this is what you get.

Pros: The airtime in places is bonkers. The first drop is incredible in the back row and the first airtime hill has the strongest ejector on any non-RMC I’ve experienced. Those elements alone put it in the top 10.

Con(daa)s: Some of the elements don’t really work. The infamous NIC is fine, but the wonky “side-banked double down” feels like it’s been a bit squashed together, not allowing enough time to feel the airtime before tackling then next bump. The seats are also a little low down too meaning that you have to tuck your legs up in order to get that flying sensation over the hills.

Whilst it isn’t without it’s flaws; Kondaa has enough going for it to make me want to ride it again and again. Of all the airtime hills I’ve ever experienced, there is only one that tops Kondaa’s first. Which leads me on very nicely to my next new addition...

Hyperion is an absolute monster.

It’s been a while since a coaster has visually made me quite this giddy. If I had my driving test around Energylandia I never would have passed because my eyes were absolutely glued to it, tearing them away to look at the road was near impossible. There isn’t an enthusiast in the world that hasn’t salivated over that first drop and airtime hill (quite rightly so too).

Now we’ve established the visual sexiness, it’s time to ask that infamous question. So, how was the ride?

Just like Kondaa, the first drop and airtime hill are phenomenal, only this time they’re bigger. They chose well when theming this ride to space because that first airtime hill tries to shoot you into it with the strongest sustained ejector I’ve ever experienced. It is my favourite airtime hill. Aside from the larger airtime hill on the return run, the rest of the layout is perfect, delivering solid airtime and amazingly fast low-to-the-ground moments.

That return run airtime hill and the seating position of the wing seats being a little bit too low (again, similar to Kondaa) are what prevents me from ranking it any higher; but the rest of the ride is thoroughly deserved of it’s place in my top 10.

The Ride to Happiness is the most unique coaster in my top 10 and this is really where we start to enter coaster perfection.

There are so many sensations this coaster delivers that I’ve never experienced before, all whilst the onboard audio catapults the experience to an entirely different level. Every seat is great. Every airtime hill hits hard. Every inversion makes you feel like an Olympic gymnast summersaulting and cartwheeling you through in ways you never thought possible; and both launches deliver snappy insanity whilst spinning in ways too difficult to describe. I honestly almost lost my voice from the sheer amount of laughter after every ride. It’s so euphoric!

My personal highlights were rotating into and falling backwards down the vertical drop on the back row, leaving you rag-dolling in the most insane way. Going into the vertical loop forwards and coming out backwards, experiencing airtime coming out of it. How is that even possible!? The second launch and inversion were also perfect every time. All LSM launches need an airtime hill!

The only thing stopping this from being number 1 was that on some rides the car would stay facing backwords through the entirety of some elements. Such a minor nit-pick, but enough to leave RMC dominating the top of my list. Speaking of…

Zadra is undoubtedly the best coaster I have ever ridden. I love an aggressive coaster and every element on this is taken with serious force. If an element can deliver airtime. It does. If an element shouldn’t deliver airtime. It does.

Please please let 2022 be the year I ride Steel Vengeance!

------

So there it is! My top 10 as of 2021! As predicted, my top 10 has changed dramatically indeed.

RMC go even further to prove themselves as my favourite manufacturer; Mack Rides have shown they have what it takes to offer a ride experience intense enough to be worthy of a number 1 spot and Intamin have demonstrated that they’re still competing to deliver the best airtime out there.

Whilst it might not be in height and speed; the coaster wars are very much alive and kicking in the form of innovation. B&M’s (bar Shambhala) have dropped out of my top 10 due to their unwillingness to take any risks and the couple of rides I had on the Hansa Park 1-2 punch were not enough to maintain their positions.

The USA is on my radar in a big way for 2022 and travel-permitting I will hopefully be re-jigging my top 10 in more significant ways again next year!

Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
Every year this gets increasingly difficult as my cred count grows and let’s face it, this isn’t ‘Rank your top 10 chain dogs’; this is it. The definitive list.

It requires cutthroat decision making to decide which coasters are the best of the best. New loves will be founded and hearts will be broken; but are you really an enthusiast if you don’t love a good ol’ ranking?

A moment of silence for those coasters that have dropped out of my top 10.

Schwer Des Karnan

Fluch Von Novgorod

Expedition GeForce

Fenix

Oblivion

We will meet again one day, for now though it’s goodbye… but just look at my list now!

Top 10 Coasters
  1. Zadra
  2. Untamed
  3. Wildfire (Kolmarden)
  4. The Ride to Happiness
  5. X2
  6. Shambhala
  7. Hyperion
  8. Kondaa
  9. Taron
  10. Wodan
Oh yeah! That’s what I’m talking about! A very warm welcome to Wodan, Kondaa, Hyperion, The Ride to Happiness and my new number 1, Zadra.

Wodan
(sponsored by Mustang Jeans) was without a doubt the biggest surprise of the year for me and really won me over. To the point I feel it is deserved of a little rhyme.

It was relentlessly forceful, leaving me with a smile 10 miles wide,

This year Wodan absolutely blistered through its layout, delivering solid pops of airtime wherever we sat and leaving us in awe of how good it was every single time. This is what a GCI this size should feel like.

Kondaa. Put Intamin’s new track/profiling, Expedition GeForce and a sprinkle of RMC imitation into a blender and this is what you get.

Pros: The airtime in places is bonkers. The first drop is incredible in the back row and the first airtime hill has the strongest ejector on any non-RMC I’ve experienced. Those elements alone put it in the top 10.

Con(daa)s: Some of the elements don’t really work. The infamous NIC is fine, but the wonky “side-banked double down” feels like it’s been a bit squashed together, not allowing enough time to feel the airtime before tackling then next bump. The seats are also a little low down too meaning that you have to tuck your legs up in order to get that flying sensation over the hills.

Whilst it isn’t without it’s flaws; Kondaa has enough going for it to make me want to ride it again and again. Of all the airtime hills I’ve ever experienced, there is only one that tops Kondaa’s first. Which leads me on very nicely to my next new addition...

Hyperion is an absolute monster.

It’s been a while since a coaster has visually made me quite this giddy. If I had my driving test around Energylandia I never would have passed because my eyes were absolutely glued to it, tearing them away to look at the road was near impossible. There isn’t an enthusiast in the world that hasn’t salivated over that first drop and airtime hill (quite rightly so too).

Now we’ve established the visual sexiness, it’s time to ask that infamous question. So, how was the ride?

Just like Kondaa, the first drop and airtime hill are phenomenal, only this time they’re bigger. They chose well when theming this ride to space because that first airtime hill tries to shoot you into it with the strongest sustained ejector I’ve ever experienced. It is my favourite airtime hill. Aside from the larger airtime hill on the return run, the rest of the layout is perfect, delivering solid airtime and amazingly fast low-to-the-ground moments.

That return run airtime hill and the seating position of the wing seats being a little bit too low (again, similar to Kondaa) are what prevents me from ranking it any higher; but the rest of the ride is thoroughly deserved of it’s place in my top 10.

The Ride to Happiness is the most unique coaster in my top 10 and this is really where we start to enter coaster perfection.

There are so many sensations this coaster delivers that I’ve never experienced before, all whilst the onboard audio catapults the experience to an entirely different level. Every seat is great. Every airtime hill hits hard. Every inversion makes you feel like an Olympic gymnast summersaulting and cartwheeling you thought in ways you never thought possible; and both launches deliver snappy insanity whilst spinning in ways too difficult to describe. I honestly almost lost my voice from the sheer amount of laughter after every ride. It’s so euphoric!

My personal highlights were rotating into and falling backwards down the vertical drop on the back row, leaving you rag-dolling in the most insane way. Going into the vertical loop forwards and coming out backwards, experiencing airtime coming out of it. How is that even possible!? The second launch and inversion were also perfect every time. All LSM launches need an airtime hill!

The only thing stopping this from being number 1 was that on some rides the car would stay facing backwords through the entirety of some elements. Such a minor nit-pick, but enough to leave RMC dominating the top of my list. Speaking of…

Zadra is undoubtedly the best coaster I have ever ridden. I love an aggressive coaster and every element on this is taken with serious force. If an element can deliver airtime. It does. If an element shouldn’t deliver airtime. It does.

Please please let 2022 be the year I ride Steel Vengeance!

------

So there it is! My top 10 as of 2021! As predicted, my top 10 has changed dramatically indeed.

RMC go even further to prove themselves as my favourite manufacturer; Mack Rides have shown they have what it takes to offer a ride experience intense enough to be worthy of a number 1 spot and Intamin have demonstrated that they’re still competing to deliver the best airtime out there.

Whilst it might not be in height and speed; the coaster wars are very much alive and kicking in the form of innovation. B&M’s (bar Shambhala) have dropped out of my top 10 due to their unwillingness to take any risks and the couple of rides I had on the Hansa Park 1-2 punch were not enough to maintain their positions.

The USA is on my radar in a big way for 2022 and travel-permitting I will hopefully be re-jigging my top 10 in more significant ways again next year!
Great to see some love for Wodan! The night rides I have had on it have been incredible!

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Will

Strata Poster
To the point I feel it is deserved of a little rhyme.

It was relentlessly forceful, leaving me with a smile 10 miles wide
...you really are made for eachother - dodgy taste in coasters and all :p :p

1092607.jpg

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Mine won't be changing again until next season... Hopefully

I don't 'think' I've updated it in 2 years... But then I haven't ridden many 'new' coasters in that time...

Despite few new rides, it does change frequently... Depending on, well, mood I guess, haha.

I think this is the first time I've sat and done a proper top 20, because I've always felt I didn't have enough worthy rides...

But this time the last 3 spaces were so hard to choose, as there were a few coasters on a very similar level to the 3 I've chosen. Blue Fire, Wodan, Abyssus, Black Mamba, VHF, Valkyria, Formula, Baron, De Vliegende Hollander, Fēnix, Swarm, and others are all coasters I enjoy, to name a few... they're not quite top 10 or 15 material, but could sit in my lower top 20's...

If only the lower ones were easier to separate (or I could be bothered!!!) Maybe next time I will have to do a top 30 or 40... Maybe I will get around to transferring everything to excel as I planned weeks ago... Maybe I'll win the lottery and England will win the world cup... Maybe the rams will escape relegation and extinction... Maybe, Maybe, Maybe... Always maybe...

ANYWAY... For now we have....

1. 🔼1 - Zadra (Switched with Untamed, the ride has grown and grown on me, and I swear the air time has gotten stronger)
  2. 🔽1 - Untamed
  3. 🔼1 - Taron (Switched with Hyperion, wintertraum a few weeks ago reminded me why this was my number 1 for so long!!!)
  4. 🔽1 - Hyperion
  5. 🆕 --- Ride to Happiness (Crazy fun ride, On the day I almost had this top 3, then after careful thought I came back down to earth)
  6. 🆕 --- F.L.Y (When I first rode this it wouldn't have made this list, on my second visit since opening it blew me away)
  7. 🔽2 - Shambhala
  8. 🔽2 - Helix
  9. 🔽2 - Lech
  10. 🔽2 - Nemesis
  11. 🔽2 - Lost Gravity
  12. 🔽2 - Icon
  13. 🔽2 - Red Force
  14. 🔽2 - Balder
  15. 🔽2 - Fury
  16. 🔽2 - Troy
  17. 🔽2 - Goliath
  18. 🆕 --- Oziris (New to list, Not to me. Should be higher really, it's an incredible example of a B&M Invert, but I'm a little bored of them)
  19. 🆕 --- Silver Star (The only Europa coaster to make the cut, and honestly, it very nearly didn't... But the park is so good it deserves at least 1 coaster!)
  20. 🆕 --- Star Trek: OE (New to list, not to me. this made the cut purely because of how much fun I had with my daughter on this, and it's incredible theming and pre show)
Edited to add:

I'm not ashamed to own up to the fact that both of the UK coasters are where they are mostly for sentimental reasons... I've had good rides and good times on both. In Nemesis' case, it is my favourite invert, but should probably be a few places lower overall. In Icon's case, ranking it above the other Mack launch coasters below it is probably unfair. They're probably as good, if not better than Icon, when it comes down to purely just the hardware. But for sentimental reasons, and based on the amount of fun I've had on Icon, it stays where it is... Plus, they're UK coasters... We have to be represented somewhere... 🙈 And it's my list, I'll do what I want... 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Projektion

Mega Poster
After a quick couple of days to Phantasialand for Wintertraum:

1. Wildfire - Kolmarden
2. Hakugei - Nagashima Spa Land
3. Taron - Phantasialand (up from #5)
4. Zadra - Energylandia
5. FLY - Phantasialand (New)
6. Flying Dinosaur - Universal Studios Japan
7. Untamed - Walibi Holland
8. Furius Baco - PortAventura
9. Shambhala - PortAventura
10. Balder - Liseberg

Last edited:

SeanC

Mega Poster
I was lucky enough to ride a bunch of new coasters this year, and have a new top 15. Not sure if this post will speak to anyone -- especially outside the U.S. unfamiliar with American professional sports -- but I'm using inspiration from nbadraft.net on some roller coaster/pro athlete comps. Counting down...

15. Wonder Woman Golden Lasso Coaster

It's over quickly but every element packs a punch and the ride is super smooth. Awesome setting too, which is why I prefer it over Railblazer.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Amanda Nunes.

Good for a quick knockout.

14. Mako

This is my second-favorite B&M hyper that I've ridden. The section after the mid-course isn't nearly as strong as the first part of the ride, but the airtime on this ride -- although not as abundant as my #1 coaster in this category -- is stronger than the airtime on any other B&M hyper. Especially that second hill. The setting on the lake adds to the appeal also for me.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Shaquille O'Neal

Like Shaq was the last of the dominant centers in the NBA -- one of many when he started -- Mako might be the last great hyper in the U.S.

13. Orion

This ride is smooth and forceful and has a great layout. It's shorter for a giga but not too short.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Eli Manning

Like Eli, Orion will always suffer from comparisons to its older brother in another Cedar Fair park. But Eli did win 2 Super Bowls, beating Tom Brady twice. What I'm trying to say is that Orion is no joke and should stand the test of time.

12. Storm Chaser

This roller coaster is like the little engine that could. Its stats might underwhelm but each element is fantastic and the pacing is near-perfect. Looking at the structure, the ride is much better than it looks like it would be. I know Lightning Run is also cool, but if it weren't for Storm Chaser, I don't think many folks would go out of their way to go to Kentucky Kingdom.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Nikola Jokic

Jokic looks like Tom and Cousin Greg had a baby and it decided to play basketball. At first glance, Jokic seems to be a poor athlete but is so much better than what his physical attributes might dictate he should be -- like Storm Chaser.

11. Incredible Hulk

This was a top-5 ride for me when it opened and it still holds up to this day. Super smooth with some insane positive-Gs. I prefer the older theming but that doesn't take away from the ride. It does slow down a bit after the mid course, but that doesn't take away from my enjoyment... if anything, I need it to do so because of how forceful the first part of the ride is.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Carmelo Anthony

Like with Carmelo, Hulk was enormously popular when it debuted and now serves in more of a supporting role than as a star of a park. It's still enormously popular (like Carmelo) and for good reason.

Top 10

10. Phoenix

This ride and its insane standing airtime are so much fun. It's not particularly forceful but it doesn't need to be. Its setting at Knoebels in the woods adds to the charm. That I can ride this with my family who aren't enthusiasts makes this family-friendly fun.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Barry Bonds

They don't make rides like this anymore, and its restraints give it an unfair advantage over other rides. I'm pretty sure it always wins Golden Ticket Awards, etc. Some might say Bonds had an unfair advantage in breaking all kinds of records.

9. Space Mountain (WDW)

This is the ride that sparked my enthusiasm over 25 years ago and it still leaves me in a great mood when I get off the train. It's partially nostalgic choice, but my barometer for how I rank these rides are how I'm feeling right after the ride and how much I'd like to go back to ride it when I'm home... and this checks those boxes and more.

Pro Athlete Comparison: The Rock

The illusion of speed and theming make Space Mountain awesome, and it's the most popular ride of anything on this list. The most famous professional wrestler of all time -- arguably more popular than any professional athlete -- seems like a fitting comparison here.

8. Fury 325

I wish more parks could devote the budget and space to B&M that Carowinds did with this ride. It was way more forceful than I thought it would be and a ton of fun. I wish it had a bit more airtime, but I only got 2 rides on it (one in front and one in back), so maybe that's why. I can't wait to ride it again at one point.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Peyton Manning

If Orion is Eli, this is Peyton. For me, Fury suffers a bit by its setting -- it's a bit of a parking lot ride -- like Peyton maybe didn't always have the best teams to win it all. But there's no denying that it's one of the all-time greats.

7. Steel Vengeance

This is probably technically the best roller coaster in existence. Almost every element is dynamic, the second half is even crazier than the first half, the setting on the water is awesome, and you're left out of breath in the best way possible after the ride. I might have this ride ranked higher if I were younger and it didn't leave me feeling like I just won a close fight.

Pro Athlete Comparison: LeBron James

Like LeBron, SV has all the attributes to be the GOAT, but there's something about it that prevents me from placing it at that level. Maybe it's that the ride doesn't offer anything unique... it just does things bigger and better than any other ride does. Still an unforgettable experience.

Now for some hot takes...

6. Nitro

My ranking here might be a bit tainted as I only have had 2 rides on this: one in 2001 and one in 2019. But each time it felt like I spent more time in the air than on any other ride. It felt like I was floating on a cloud. The setting in the woods enhances the experience. It has a similar layout to other rides of ridden like Intimidator, Diamondback, and Apollo's Chariot -- but for whatever reason, my rides on this were epic.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Mariano Rivera

As Mo was spectacular in a niche role, Nitro excels in one thing: floater.

5. Alpengeist

Before I got back into riding roller coasters, this was my favorite for a long time, and I was surprised how it held up when I rode it again 2 years ago. The atmosphere isn't quite as special, as it competes for airspace with Griffon, but Alpengeist offers a unique feeling of flying through the trees with great intensity and excellent theming. I might be biased as I only like riding inverts in the front row, but it was super smooth as well... much smoother than my rides on Montu recently.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Allen Iverson

A unique product of his time from the Virginia area, AI was seen by some -- unfairly -- as rough around the edges, but was in fact an amazing player and leader. If he were in his prime today, he'd probably be even more effective with the current rules. Alpengeist is seen as rough by some but should not be overlooked as one of the greats.

4. Millenium Force

Although the elements outside the first drop aren't spectacular in themselves, the way this ride comes together makes for an incredible experience. For me, the level of speed and intensity are just right, and the lakeside setting makes this a remarkable roller coaster. The ride's length also feels perfect.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Tom Brady

Both debuting in 2000, Brady and MF continue to be touted by most as the GOAT (although enthusiasts are less high on the coaster than are the general public). It seems that neither will be knocked off their perches any time soon despite their longevity.

Top 3

3. Jurassic World Velocicoaster

I just finished close to 10 rides on this during this past weekend, and this might be the perfect roller coaster: the airtime, pacing, intensity, theming, inversions... just wow. That top hat in the backrow... that mosasaurus role... The operations on this were also STELLAR for a launch coaster. The only thing keeping it from being #1 at this time is that it doesn't take my breath away quite as much as the top 2. But that could change at one point.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Steph Curry

This might be more hopeful than anything else, but just as Steph has changed the way basketball is played at the highest level, my hope is that Velocicoaster will do the same for intense rides with great theming. I wonder if Disney will ever try to compete with this. Like Steph has master the fundamentals of basketball (shooting dribbling, etc.), this ride has mastered the coaster fundamentals (airtime, inversions, pacing) in such a way that it has become super popular not just to enthusiasts, but to the general public as well.

2. Lightning Rod

This ride is just special, and I don't think we'll see anything like it in the near future. I love a good terrain coaster and this makes great use of it. The wave turn and quad down are awesome, and it leaves me feeling more pumped up than any other coaster does. The night ride is bonkers too.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Kawhi Leonard

In the few seasons in which Kawhi is healthy, there's a good chance he's going to lead his team to the finals and win finals MVP. But he's injured too frequently... some would say the same things about Lightning Rod.

1. The Voyage

First off, I love this ride exists at a family-owned park in Indiana. I don't love having to get there, but it shows independent parks can build a phenomenal ride. The triple down into the tunnel is maybe my favorite element on any ride. The airtime on this roller coaster is insane, the laterals are violent but not too violent, the pacing is spot on, and the atmosphere of riding through the woods is unmatched by any ride I've been on. And of course, the night rides... Wow.

Pro Athlete Comparison: Michael Jordan

The GOAT has the stats and championships to back up that status, but his killer instinct made him legendary. Like MJ, The Voyage has all the stats and winning moments you might want, but there's a bite to this ride -- a special quality -- that I don't get in the Steel Vengances and Furys of the world. This one is truly outstanding.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
@Hixee - Let's get this bad boy's title changed 👍

My top 10 only had a switcheroo since the last time I posted, those night rides on Taron though 🥰

1 - Steel Vengeance
2 - Zadra
3 - Lightning Rod (V1)
4 - Skyrush
5 - Taron
6 - El Toro
7 - Storm Chaser (KK)
8 - Helix
9 - Outlaw Run
10 - Fury 325

The next 10 are arguably equally as good;

11 - Renegade
12 - The Voyage
13 - Flying Aces
14 - Wildfire (Kolmarden)
15 - Phoenix
16 - Maverick
17 - Formula Rossa
18 - Expedition GeForce
19 - Nemesis
20 - Hyperion

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
@Hixee - Let's get this bad boy's title changed 👍
As if by magic.

That's a pretty respectable list. I'd shuffle a few things round, but certainly in the Top 10 I reckon everything has earned it's place there. Nice!