What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Going into the new year my list has had some shuffling in the 15-30 range. Those in italics have moved since my last update. On the far right is my ranking of the coaster out of ten (I'm pretty strict).

I'll be doing Nickelodeon Universe sometime in January or February so hopefully TMNT Shellraiser sneaks into my top 30!

1. VoyageHoliday WorldUSA, Indiana
10​
2. Python in Bamboo ForestSunac Land NanchangChina, Jiangxi
10​
3. HelixLisebergSweden, Vastra Gotaland
10​
4. DinocondaChina Dinosaur LandChina, Jiangsu
10​
5. Boulder DashLake CompounceUSA, Connecticut
10​
6. OCT ThrustHappy Valley WuhanChina, Hubei
10​
7. MaverickCedar PointUSA, Ohio
9.5​
8. SkyrushHersheyparkUSA, Pennsylvania
9.5​
9. Lightning RunKentucky KingdomUSA, Kentucky
9.5​
10. WildfireKolmardenSweden, Ostergotland
9.5​
11. Storm ChaserKentucky KingdomUSA, Kentucky
9.5​
12. Superman The RideSix Flags New EnglandUSA, Massachusetts
9.5​
13. Steel VengeanceCedar PointUSA, Ohio
9.5​
14. Starry Sky RipperWorld JoylandChina, Jiangsu
9​
15. Phantom's RevengeKennywoodUSA, Pennsylvania
9​
16. Coaster Through The CloudsSunac Land NanchangChina, Jiangxi
9​
17. Wicked CycloneSix Flags New EnglandUSA, Massachusetts
9​
18. Time TravelerSilver Dollar CityUSA, Missouri
9​
19. ThundercoasterTusenfrydNorway, Akerhus
9​
20. El ToroSix Flags Great AdventureUSA, New Jersey
9​
21. Dauling Dragon (Red)Happy Valley WuhanChina, Hubei
9​
21a. Dauling Dragon (Blue)Happy Valley WuhanChina, Hubei
9​
22. Boardwalk BulletKemah BoardwalkUSA, Texas
9​
23. TronShanghai DisneylandChina, Shanghai
8.5​
24. Roar-o-saurusStorylandUSA, New Hampshire
8.5​
25. Mystic TimbersKings IslandUSA, Ohio
8.5​
26. Mega LiteHappy Valley ShanghaiChina, Shanghai
8.5​
27. Outlaw RunSilver Dollar CityUSA, Missouri
8.5​
28. Magnum XL 200Cedar PointUSA, Ohio
8.5​
29. Steel CurtainKennywoodUSA, Pennsylvania
8.5​
30. DiamondbackKings IslandUSA, Ohio
8.5​

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I couldn't even be bothered to look and try to find my last top whatever list but its probably been years. I started out with around 70 coasters and was able to cut it down to a list of 20 after a lot of decision making.

CC-383

1. Phoenix – Knoebels
2. El Toro – Six Flags Great Adventure
3. Wicked Cyclone – Six Flags New England
4. Goliath – Six Flags Great America
5. Fury 325 - Carowinds
6. Voyage – Holiday World
7. Mako – SeaWorld Orlando
8. Maverick – Cedar Point
9. Cheetah Hunt – Busch Gardens Tampa Bay
10. Full Throttle – Six Flags Magic Mountain
11. Rampage – Alabama Splash Adventure
12. Top Thrill Dragster – Cedar Point
13. Mine Blower – Fun Spot America
14. New Texas Giant – Six Flags Over Texas
15. Twisted Colossus – Six Flags Magic Mountain
16. Verbolten – Busch Gardens Williamsburg
17. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad – Disneyland
18. Expedition Everest – Walt Disney World: Animal Kingdom
19. Beast – Kings Island
20. Thunderhead – Dollywood

A surprising amount of the coasters on here came down to some amazing night rides that I had on them. Nostalgia and just amazingness make up the rest.

Niles

Giga Poster
I find it hard to rank coasters and usually just have a group of coasters than stand apart from the others, but I think this is about right. Bold are new for 2019 or have moved up since the last time I did this.

20: Big Thunder Mountain Paris ( best themed coaster I have been on, so glad to re-ride it this year so much nostalgia )
19: Stealth TP
18: Nemesis
17: Kingda Ka ( the over the shoulder restraints bring this down and in the back it is rough, but in the front it gives you the same rush as TTD which I love )
16: Ravine Flyer II
15: Phoenix
14: Beast
13: Thunder bird
12: Storm runner
11: Diamondback
10: Phantoms revenge
9: Maverick
8: Voyage
7: Ghostrider ( moved up one as I prefer it to voyage )
6: Shambala ( It's just all round brilliant, surprisingly good air-time and it feels like a long ride, this is by far the best coaster in Spain by a long long way )

5: Lightning Rod
4: Top Thrill Dragster
3: Skyrush
2: El Toro SFGA ( powerful in everything it does, this ride is relentless and still feels smooth, I only got two back row rides at the start of the day and it took my breath away, when its warmed up I cannot imagine the forces )
1: Steel vengeance

losers of 2019

Red Force: While it is fast the launch is weak in comparison to its hydraulic launch brothers, its tall but it does not do much for me. Somehow I preferred Furius Baco next door.
Icon: It's great but nothing that stood out as something special, its a jack of all traits but master of nothing.
Nitro: It had a lot to live up to after I rode Shambala and Diamond back and it did fall short being less forceful.
Olympia Looping: Last time I rode this I loved it, this time it felt as if the restraints slowly dud into my shoulders making it uncomfortable.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Haven’t been on a huge amount but out of the pathetic number of parks I’ve been to (and in no particular order):

Montu
Cheetah Hunt
Nemesis
Shambhala
Revenge of the Mummy
The Incredible Hulk
Space Mountain
Vliegende Hollander
The Flying Fish
Mini Apple

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Just made a trip down to Florida for the first time and my list saw some serious movement. No top 10 additions, although I didn't expect any. Here goes, write ups for newly ridden coasters.

1) Voyage
2) Python in Bamboo Forest
3) Helix
4) Dinoconda
5) Boulder Dash
6) OCT Thrust SSC1000
7) Maverick
8) Skyrush
9) Lightning Run
10) Wildfire (Kolmarden)
11) Storm Chaser
12) Superman The Ride
13) Steel Vengeance
14) Mako- Wow, this is on a completely different level from other B&M hypers that I've done. That drop gives surprisingly strong air and the first few hills have some CRAZY sustained air that's actually quite strong! The speed hill is great as well. As with some of the other B&M hypers I've done though, the portion after the MCBR could be better.
15) Starry Sky Ripper
16) Phantom's Revenge
17) Coaster Through The Clouds
18) Wicked Cyclone
19) Time Traveler
20) Thundercoaster
21) El Toro
22) Dauling Dragon
23) Boardwalk Bullet
24) Roar-o-saurus
25) Hagrid's Magical Creatures- I've been dying to get on this coaster and it blew away my expectations. The immersiveness and theming are so wonderfully done, and the ride is really good too! Such a varied experience with surprisingly strong launches, quite a few good floater moments, great laterals, some positive Gs, a drop track, and everything in between. Just an all around beautiful experience, especially at night! I was lucky enough to get 8 rides on it!
26) Mine Blower- Gravity Group never disappoints! Great drop, cool inversion, and then just an onslaught of airtime the rest of the way through the course. Yes, it is rough around the edges, but I don't even mind.

27) Tron
28) Mystic Timbers
29) Mega Lite
30) Outlaw Run

Not in the top 30 but notable additions:
31) Montu- Such a forceful coaster. The opening sequence is insane between the loop, zero g roll, and batwing. The second half has a couple flaws but once warmed up this might be the most intense coaster I've ridden.
32) Cheetah Hunt- This ride doesn't get talked about enough. Punchy launches, great airtime, really cool laterals, beautiful scenery. It's a jack of all trades and I can overlook the lack of positive Gs.
36) Manta- A great flyer. Nowhere near Starry Sky Ripper but god that pretzel loop is intense. Does feel very reliant on the pretzel loop however.
42) Revenge of the Mummy- Didn't really have any expectations for this coaster. Inside that building are three crazy ejector moments though that took me completely by surprise. The theming and effects inside are great as well.
44) Sheikra- Favorite dive thus far! It runs so much better than its Chinese counterpart. I thought this had way stronger airtime and positive Gs
49) Hulk- Barely sneaking into my top 50, that launched lift is sweet and the following roll is so whippy! Great positives all the way around. I hate the B&M OTSRs though

Dan Nguyen

Roller Poster
My list has changed quite a bit since I last posted something here.
  1. Skyrush - Hersheypark
  2. Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion
  3. Fury 325 - Carowinds
  4. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
  5. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
  6. Lightning Rod - Dollywood: dethroned Storm Runner for favorite launch coaster. Toro packs a bigger punch but this ride has flashier elements from the launch to the wave turn and the quad down. Riding at Christmastime enhances the ride by a lot.
  7. Superman the Ride - Six Flags New England: 20 years later, this ride still delivers. Incredible first drop, perfect setting, loads of airtime, a killer helix section and bunny hills that just wanna throw you out of your seat. I didn't expect this ride to have such an interesting mix of positive and negative G's.
  8. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England: It was tough deciding which SFNE coaster was better, but Superman won out. You can tell this is an early RMC since its not paced as well as Timbers or Lightning Rod is. That being said, the airtime is still plentiful and its a relatively long layout
  9. Twisted Cyclone - Six Flags Over Georgia
  10. Storm Runner - Hersheypark
The honorable mentions
  • Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit - Universal Studios Florida
  • Fahrenheit - Hersheypark
  • Batwing - Six Flags America
  • Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure - Islands of Adventure: Basically tied with Mummy for my favorite family coaster. Its not as intense as some family coasters, but it makes up for that with its stellar theming, long layout and interesting gimmicks. This ride is everything Gringotts should've been.
  • Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios Florida
  • Apollo's Chariot - Busch Gardens Williamsburg
  • Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee
  • Coney Island Cyclone - Luna Park: Crazy to believe an 90+ year old roller coaster still holds up today. It helps with the comfy couch style seats, buzz bar restraints and basically nothing else holding you in so you're at complete mercy of the ride. Its a little rough around the edges and I feel its often overlooked. Any enthusiast visiting NYC needs to ride this.
  • Mako - Sea World Orlando
  • Mindbender - Six Flags Over Georgia

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Going into the new year my list has had some shuffling in the 15-30 range. Those in italics have moved since my last update. On the far right is my ranking of the coaster out of ten (I'm pretty strict).

I'll be doing Nickelodeon Universe sometime in January or February so hopefully TMNT Shellraiser sneaks into my top 30!

1. VoyageHoliday WorldUSA, Indiana
10​
2. Python in Bamboo ForestSunac Land NanchangChina, Jiangxi
10​
3. HelixLisebergSweden, Vastra Gotaland
10​
4. DinocondaChina Dinosaur LandChina, Jiangsu
10​
5. Boulder DashLake CompounceUSA, Connecticut
10​
6. OCT ThrustHappy Valley WuhanChina, Hubei
10​
7. MaverickCedar PointUSA, Ohio
9.5​
8. SkyrushHersheyparkUSA, Pennsylvania
9.5​
9. Lightning RunKentucky KingdomUSA, Kentucky
9.5​
10. WildfireKolmardenSweden, Ostergotland
9.5​
11. Storm ChaserKentucky KingdomUSA, Kentucky
9.5​
12. Superman The RideSix Flags New EnglandUSA, Massachusetts
9.5​
13. Steel VengeanceCedar PointUSA, Ohio
9.5​
14. Starry Sky RipperWorld JoylandChina, Jiangsu
9​
15. Phantom's RevengeKennywoodUSA, Pennsylvania
9​
16. Coaster Through The CloudsSunac Land NanchangChina, Jiangxi
9​
17. Wicked CycloneSix Flags New EnglandUSA, Massachusetts
9​
18. Time TravelerSilver Dollar CityUSA, Missouri
9​
19. ThundercoasterTusenfrydNorway, Akerhus
9​
20. El ToroSix Flags Great AdventureUSA, New Jersey
9​
21. Dauling Dragon (Red)Happy Valley WuhanChina, Hubei
9​
21a. Dauling Dragon (Blue)Happy Valley WuhanChina, Hubei
9​
22. Boardwalk BulletKemah BoardwalkUSA, Texas
9​
23. TronShanghai DisneylandChina, Shanghai
8.5​
24. Roar-o-saurusStorylandUSA, New Hampshire
8.5​
25. Mystic TimbersKings IslandUSA, Ohio
8.5​
26. Mega LiteHappy Valley ShanghaiChina, Shanghai
8.5​
27. Outlaw RunSilver Dollar CityUSA, Missouri
8.5​
28. Magnum XL 200Cedar PointUSA, Ohio
8.5​
29. Steel CurtainKennywoodUSA, Pennsylvania
8.5​
30. DiamondbackKings IslandUSA, Ohio
8.5​
I know you posted this a month ago, but your placement of OCT Thrust is interesting. I'm curious - what made you put it above all those other stellar coasters? I haven't heard much in the way of solid reviews of this - or any Chinese air launched coaster - for that matter.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I haven't heard much in the way of solid reviews of this - or any Chinese air launched coaster
Most powerful launches in the world combined with brutal airtime in great trains. They're a little on the short side, but everything they do is amazing.
They also contain a couple of the new 'in things' like sideways hills and weird off-axis stuff before RMC popularised them, which is cool.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
I know you posted this a month ago, but your placement of OCT Thrust is interesting. I'm curious - what made you put it above all those other stellar coasters? I haven't heard much in the way of solid reviews of this - or any Chinese air launched coaster - for that matter.
The launch is extremely forceful and butter smooth. The top hat is 5 seconds of crazy sustained ejector. The positive Gs are incredible and every single element delivers perfectly. To top it off, the restraints lock, so if you get space, the bar will never come down during the ride.

If there were a few more elements this very well may be top 3 for me.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
The launch is extremely forceful and butter smooth. The top hat is 5 seconds of crazy sustained ejector. The positive Gs are incredible and every single element delivers perfectly. To top it off, the restraints lock, so if you get space, the bar will never come down during the ride.

If there were a few more elements this very well may be top 3 for me.
OCT Thrust has always looked like a fascinating ride to me, so it's great to hear that it delivers! That "baby" ampersand helix at the end of OCT Thrust looks very interesting... how does it ride?

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
OCT Thrust has always looked like a fascinating ride to me, so it's great to hear that it delivers! That "baby" ampersand helix at the end of OCT Thrust looks very interesting... how does it ride?
Quite forceful, although the best positive Gs are at the bottom of the first drop. The ampersand does have one really awkward pump in the track, but it's really the only rough part of the ride.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
not a bad idea

1: Steel Vengeance
2: Lightning Rod
3: Voyage
4: Storm Chaser
5: Outlaw Run
6: Goliath (SFGrAm)
7: Shambhala
8: Phoenix
9: Maverick
10: Twisted Timbers
11: Leap the Dips
12: El Toro
13: Space Mountain (WDW)
14: Thunderbird
15: Phantom's Revenge
16: Lightning Run
17: Matterhorn Bobsleds
18: Superman (SFNE)
19: Mystic Timbers
20: Leviathan
21: Fury 325
22: Wicked Cyclone
23: Banshee
24: Boulder Dash
25: Ravine Flyer II
26: Top Thrill Dragster
27: Bobsleds
28: Afterburn
29: Firechaser Express
30: Behemoth

Finally got to Six Flags Magic Mountain. New in bold.

1: Steel Vengeance
2: Lightning Rod
3: Voyage
4: Storm Chaser
5: Outlaw Run
6: Goliath (SFGrAm)
7: Shambhala
8: Phoenix
9: X2
10: Twisted Timbers
11: Leap the Dips
12: Maverick
13: El Toro
14: Space Mountain (WDW)
15: Thunderbird
16: Phantom's Revenge
17: Lightning Run
18: Matterhorn Bobsleds
19: Twisted Colossus
20: Superman (SFNE)
21: Mystic Timbers
22: Tatsu
22: Leviathan
23: Fury 325
24: Wicked Cyclone
25: Banshee
26: Boulder Dash
27: Ravine Flyer II
28: Top Thrill Dragster
29: Bobsleds
30: Afterburn

Matt N

CF Legend
I must admit, X2 and the other two large 4D coasters (Dinoconda and Eejanaika) rather interest me; what is it that you all find so appealing about them? My mum recently shared a video of Dinoconda with me on Facebook, and I'm honestly not sure whether I liked the look of it. It certainly looked unique, and the enthusiasts in the video looked like they were having fun, but I'm honestly not sure if I'd find the spinning seats a bit intense? My family was also universally united in thinking it looked absolutely horrendous.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I must admit, X2 and the other two large 4D coasters (Dinoconda and Eejanaika) rather interest me; what is it that you all find so appealing about them? My mum recently shared a video of Dinoconda with me on Facebook, and I'm honestly not sure whether I liked the look of it. It certainly looked unique, and the enthusiasts in the video looked like they were having fun, but I'm honestly not sure if I'd find the spinning seats a bit intense? My family was also universally united in thinking it looked absolutely horrendous.
That's why they're so good. They are, as you put it, absolutely horrendous.

X2 and Dinoconda (yet to do Eejanaika) provide ride experiences unlike anything else I've ridden (worth saying that Dinoconda felt like a level-up of intensity from X2, too). They have an intensity that's hard to put your finger on directly. I mean, you start with a 200ft drop face first, before being flipped head-over-heels onto your back. The sudden change of positive to negative forces, the sudden 'surprise' inversions (particularly the "full-full" on Dinoconda where you do a backflip through a zero-g-roll), and not to mention the enormousness of the track and trains in person. They're terribly crude, harsh coasters, but they're eye-opening really. They're truly quite scary - that's not something that happens very much anymore. I came off both X2 and Dinoconda out of breath - how does that work?

There are others who are much better with the words than me, but I wrote about it a bit in my trip report here: https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/china-march-2018-day-10-–-suzhou-summary.42416/page-2#post-1021263.

Matt N

CF Legend
That's why they're so good. They are, as you put it, absolutely horrendous.

X2 and Dinoconda (yet to do Eejanaika) provide ride experiences unlike anything else I've ridden (worth saying that Dinoconda felt like a level-up of intensity from X2, too). They have an intensity that's hard to put your finger on directly. I mean, you start with a 200ft drop face first, before being flipped head-over-heels onto your back. The sudden change of positive to negative forces, the sudden 'surprise' inversions (particularly the "full-full" on Dinoconda where you do a backflip through a zero-g-roll), and not to mention the enormousness of the track and trains in person. They're terribly crude, harsh coasters, but they're eye-opening really. They're truly quite scary - that's not something that happens very much anymore. I came off both X2 and Dinoconda out of breath - how does that work?

There are others who are much better with the words than me, but I wrote about it a bit in my trip report here: https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/china-march-2018-day-10-–-suzhou-summary.42416/page-2#post-1021263.
Ah right. Thanks @Hixee; they certainly look rather unique experiences, to say the least!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Coaster Count ran a poll to find out users' favourite rides: https://coaster-count.com/page/poll

Steel Top 10:
1. Steel Vengeance
2. Fury 325
3. Taron
4. Taiga
5. Zadra
6. Hakugei
7. Helix
8. Shambhala
9. Maverick
10. Untamed

Wood Top 10:
1. Wildfire
2. El Toro
3. Lightning Rod
4. Voyage
5. Wood Coaster (Knight Valley)
6. Troy
7. Boulder Dash
8. T Express
9. Phoenix
10. Wodan

Pretty fair and reasonable results in my opinion. Some nice stats breakdowns available on the site too, being able to break it down by country and so forth!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Coaster Count ran a poll to find out users' favourite rides: https://coaster-count.com/page/poll
Pretty fair and reasonable results in my opinion.
It appears that way on the surface, but then you dig a little deeper and find that Wicker Man is better than RMC Goliath.

The voting system was really clunky for this one and I got fed up with it after doing just 10. There was no obligation to give as much data as possible and that's always pretty harmful in these things.

It's interesting to see a subtle European skew on the results vs the usual American skew though and yes, the stat breakdowns are a very nice touch.

Is Shambhala really the best B&M hyper?
Nah.