What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I mean I've heard people say Taron is a glorified Rita with theming as well
If by "glorified" they mean "done gloriously", I'd be inclined to agreeing with them. They're basically the same concept at their core, just with a decade of technological advances between them. And with a lot more money poured in, obviously. But on a purely conceptual coaster design level, they're pretty much the same.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
With no MCBR and the extra car on the train, Voyage was my #1 for six years. I was devastated when they ruined it!
Shame, but not surprising, esp with a ride that crazy. And I always tend to get to rides by the time they've been neutered.
That said I was lucky to have gotten to ride it with no MCBR on, for the ERT at Holiwood Nights. It was a noticeable difference. It was smoother and more re-rideable with the big slow down, but just sliding right through...wow. The second half was absolutely bonkers.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I've only done Voyage with the MCBR on and that wasn't even the problem for me. The ride was still crazy but I didn't love it. It's a bit of a chore to ride as, besides the MCBR, you never get a chance to catch your breath. It's a bit violent and I had some uncomfortable rides where I got stapled by the lap bar.

I couldn't figure out where the best place to sit was. Front was the smoothest but lacked airtime, back had airtime but was too rough, maybe middle is better? I only got three rides, and even after that I needed a break.

Would love to try it again. Holiday World is lovely and night rides sound interesting.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
In a few weeks I’m going to HW for the first time and this talk of Voyage being neutered has me quite deflated. I was really pumped to ride this.

Snoo

The Legend
In a few weeks I’m going to HW for the first time and this talk of Voyage being neutered has me quite deflated. I was really pumped to ride this.

Don't be! The ride is still phenomenal (it's in my Top 10 after all). While it may have lost some luster, even with a biting MCBR, the ride is still a bucket list ride for sure.

I also feel that the night ride is the best coaster EXPERIENCE in the planet, without question.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Don't be! The ride is still phenomenal (it's in my Top 10 after all). While it may have lost some luster, even with a biting MCBR, the ride is still a bucket list ride for sure.

I also feel that the night ride is the best coaster EXPERIENCE in the planet, without question.
Now *that’s* what I wanted to hear. Can I hire you as my coaster personal coach?

Hutch

Strata Poster
@MestnyiGeroi Just don't get too carried away with your expectations for Voyage. I had pretty high expectations and expected some Top 10 ride based on how others rate it and I was a little disappointed. I still think it's great, think it's somewhere in my Top 30, and most people seem to rate it much higher than I do (literally as I write this I see @Coaster Cast post Voyage as his number one). It's definitely a coaster everyone should try at some point in their life. Just expect a violent ride!

Coaster Cast

Roller Poster
To be fair it would still be my #2 had I not ridden it trimless. I have to take Holiwood Nights into account though, Voyage being the single best experience on a coaster I have ever had.

Snoo

The Legend
@MestnyiGeroi Just don't get too carried away with your expectations for Voyage. I had pretty high expectations and expected some Top 10 ride based on how others rate it and I was a little disappointed. I still think it's great, think it's somewhere in my Top 30, and most people seem to rate it much higher than I do (literally as I write this I see @Coaster Cast post Voyage as his number one). It's definitely a coaster everyone should try at some point in their life. Just expect a violent ride!

You should really do that with ALL rides, hyped or not. Surprise is always fantastic and not comparing to others gives you a true feel for how good the ride is for you.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Definitely. Lowering expectations is sometimes the best thing you can do. I'm riding Lightning Rod and Fury for the first time this weekend so I know I'll need to keep an eye on my excitement.

Coaster Cast

Roller Poster
Good luck with that. Fury year one hype completely destroyed the rides chances in my rankings. I can say that I've learned my lesson about hype.

James F

Hyper Poster
Yeah I will be riding kärnan next week, so I am trying to tell my brain it will be crap to keep my expectations low, even if I really know they aren't

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Dont be. I was deflated on my trip as I heard several people along the way (they had the same idea as me and went to KI and KK on the way to Holiwood nights) downplay it. "So rough" "Too rough" "Not something you wanna ride more than twice in a row, even once can be too much" "I think its OK its so violent, worse than Beast for sure" and yeah the MCBR
BUT I was pleasantly surprised. The first half of Voyage is glorious, and even w the MCBR the second half is nuts. In fact Id say in a way it couldbe been "better" with it as I was able to do 3, 4 rides in a row really without any issue. Without it, it's beyond words but it WAS noticeably more tough and violent, deff verging on too much so.
No joke, the next day my head felt in a daze/had headaches I couldnt shake and my back was a bit sore. I blamed it on traveling mania but I kinda wonder if 2 nights of ERT on unrestrained Voyage was part. Those dips and turns at the end are vicious. So yeah fear not and take it as it is, even with my hype and a MCBR its a top 5-10 ride for me :)

Also I guess to each their own, I was preparing for my soul to be rattled. I found Voyage not that bad, even in back! Not smooth, but certainly not the worst. I found Beast, Racer, Raven and Legend all rougher.

Definitely. Lowering expectations is sometimes the best thing you can do. I'm riding Lightning Rod and Fury for the first time this weekend so I know I'll need to keep an eye on my excitement.
100% true. I have absolutely been caught out by over hyping rides in my mind, including POV'ing them to the point of I can run through it all in my head. Its a bit hard but stepping back, only watching a POV once (for new rides I dont bother anymore with anything old) makes it so much better. I am rarely let down by a ride these days, and usually find some that exceed my expectations. In fact recent coasters I expected to be the best at their parks/top tier such as Montu, Diamondback, Banshee all under shot...

Last edited:

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Dont be. I was deflated on my trip as I heard several people along the way (they had the same idea as me and went to KI and KK on the way to Holiwood nights) downplay it. "So rough" "Too rough" "Not something you wanna ride more than twice in a row, even once can be too much" "I think its OK its so violent, worse than Beast for sure" and yeah the MCBR
BUT I was pleasantly surprised. The first half of Voyage is glorious, and even w the MCBR the second half is nuts. In fact Id say in a way it couldbe been "better" with it as I was able to do 3, 4 rides in a row really without any issue. Without it, it's beyond words but it WAS noticeably more tough and violent, deff verging on too much so.
No joke, the next day my head felt in a daze/had headaches I couldnt shake and my back was a bit sore. I blamed it on traveling mania but I kinda wonder if 2 nights of ERT on unrestrained Voyage was part. Those dips and turns at the end are vicious. So yeah fear not and take it as it is, even with my hype and a MCBR its a top 5-10 ride for me :)

Also I guess to each their own, I was preparing for my soul to be rattled. I found Voyage not that bad, even in back! Not smooth, but certainly not the worst. I found Beast, Racer, Raven and Legend all rougher.

100% true. I have absolutely been caught out by over hyping rides in my mind, including POV'ing them to the point of I can run through it all in my head. Its a bit hard but stepping back, only watching a POV once (for new rides I dont bother anymore with anything old) makes it so much better. I am rarely let down by a ride these days, and usually find some that exceed my expectations. In fact recent coasters I expected to be the best at their parks/top tier such as Montu, Diamondback, Banshee all under shot...
Thank you very much for the response and encouragement. In response to both your points there, though, my problem is that Voyage REALLY looks like my kind of coaster, so it’s really hard for me not to hope it’ll be my new number one (always a very dangerous hope!). In this sense, maybe being deflated a bit by this “neutered” story is a good thing, as it’ll help me lower expectations and open up the possibility of being pleasantly surprised. Well, maybe.