What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Matt N

CF Legend
@Jarrett, would you say that Skyrush is designed around positive G's in the same way as something like I305, out of interest? I'm only asking because you rate it so highly, but I could have sworn that I'd heard others praise the ride for its force. Same with Fury 325.

Pear

Strata Poster
Fury has barely any positives at all and I find it to be quite tame which is why I no longer put it in my top 10. Still a solid and fun ride though, just not what I'm looking for.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
@Jarrett, would you say that Skyrush is designed around positive G's in the same way as something like I305, out of interest? I'm only asking because you rate it so highly, but I could have sworn that I'd heard others praise the ride for its force. Same with Fury 325.
Skyrush has positive G-force in the two ends of its figure eight, but I consider those to be the ride’s weak spot as well as the last turn into the brakes. The drop into the first hill, the second hill, the overbank, Stengel dive, sideways hop, and last air hill (the one that tries to kill you) are outstanding. The two turns in terms of ride dynamics are much less impressive than the rest of the ride (I wish they’d been a bit more creative with what was there but I know that was a hard ride to cram in as is so that likely had to do with it), but it handles them relatively fast and the visuals are pretty good on them so it’s not a long boring interval like 305. Force also isn’t as strong, they’re mainly just to turn the train around.

Fury is miles tamer than Skyrush which is why it lost its #1 spot to it back in 2015. But both rides feature amazing pacing and stellar air, though Skyrush’s is much better. Only coaster to come close to Rush for airtime magnitude is actually Steel Vengeance.

Matt N

CF Legend
Skyrush has positive G-force in the two ends of its figure eight, but I consider those to be the ride’s weak spot as well as the last turn into the brakes. The drop into the first hill, the second hill, the overbank, Stengel dive, sideways hop, and last air hill (the one that tries to kill you) are outstanding. The two turns in terms of ride dynamics are much less impressive than the rest of the ride (I wish they’d been a bit more creative with what was there but I know that was a hard ride to cram in as is so that likely had to do with it), but it handles them relatively fast and the visuals are pretty good on them so it’s not a long boring interval like 305. Force also isn’t as strong, they’re mainly just to turn the train around.

Fury is miles tamer than Skyrush which is why it lost its #1 spot to it back in 2015. But both rides feature amazing pacing and stellar air, though Skyrush’s is much better. Only coaster to come close to Rush for airtime magnitude is actually Steel Vengeance.
Ah OK. Thanks @Jarrett! The only rides where I'd say I've definitely experienced strong positive G's are Swarm and Nemesis. I mean, most of the B&M's tend to have really good G's, but these are the only two where they've been properly noticeable.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
1. Lightning Rod
2. Outlaw Run
3. Storm Chaser
4. X2
5. Wonder Woman: Golden Lasso
6. Maverick
7. Joker (SFDK)
8. Twisted Colossus
9. Iron Rattler
10. Voyage

NTG finally fell out of my Top 10. Wonder Woman is fantastic. Honestly, every neglected Cedar Fair/Six Flags park should install one. This model is fantastic, and I truly cant wait to see what they continue to do with this type. I expected it to be good, but nowhere near phenomenal. This was the first true steel coaster I've been excited about since Maverick.

Can't wait to see future designs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1. Lightning Rod
2. Outlaw Run
3. Storm Chaser
4. X2
5. Wonder Woman: Golden Lasso
6. Maverick
7. Joker (SFDK)
8. Twisted Colossus
9. Iron Rattler
10. Voyage

NTG finally fell out of my Top 10. Wonder Woman is fantastic. Honestly, every neglected Cedar Fair/Six Flags park should install one. This model is fantastic, and I truly cant wait to see what they continue to do with this type. I expected it to be good, but nowhere near phenomenal. This was the first true steel coaster I've been excited about since Maverick.

Can't wait to see future designs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I am so excited to hear such stellar reviews for Wonder Woman! I had a good feeling it would be an awesome ride but I wasnt confident that it would be breaking top tens. Can't wait to get on one!

Error

Strata Poster
Finally was able to get onto Steel Vengeance again after a month...but it did change my ranking of it...
1-Outlaw Run
2-Lightning Rod
3-Lightning Run
4-Voyage
5-Phoenix
6-Mystic Timbers
7-Ravine Flyer 2
8-Storm Chaser
9-Banshee
10-Skyrush

11-Thunderbird
12-Maverick
13-Wildfire
14-Steel Vengeance
15-Dominator

A short summary of why I rank Steel Vengeance lower than others: Imagine having mustard on a sandwich. Now imagine having a sandwich with too much mustard. Now imagine a sandwich that consists of nothing but mustard. My opinion of my two favorite RMCs might have also changed because I was a much smaller person then, but I can't know until I do it again. But for now, my weight and size make Steel Vengeance just too uncomfortable for me.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
1: Wicked Cyclone. 2: Millennium Force. 3: Storm Chaser. 4: Skyrush. 5: I305. 6: Voyage (though w/ no MCBR prob higher) 7: Phoenix. 8: El Toro. 9: Maverick. 10: Boulder Dash. Honorable mentions to the new additions: Lightning Run and Mystic Timbers both of which probably make my top 15 - 20.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Finally was able to get onto Steel Vengeance again after a month...but it did change my ranking of it...
1-Outlaw Run
2-Lightning Rod
3-Lightning Run
4-Voyage
5-Phoenix
6-Mystic Timbers
7-Ravine Flyer 2
8-Storm Chaser
9-Banshee
10-Skyrush

11-Thunderbird
12-Maverick
13-Wildfire
14-Steel Vengeance
15-Dominator

A short summary of why I rank Steel Vengeance lower than others: Imagine having mustard on a sandwich. Now imagine having a sandwich with too much mustard. Now imagine a sandwich that consists of nothing but mustard. My opinion of my two favorite RMCs might have also changed because I was a much smaller person then, but I can't know until I do it again. But for now, my weight and size make Steel Vengeance just too uncomfortable for me.
I love perusing top tens and seeing people’s different preferences (as well as seeing patterns across many lists). And I get your excessive mustard analogy.

That said, you may be the first person I’ve seen to rank Steel Vengeance outside their top ten. Is there anyone else in this forum whom I’ve missed who also put it outside their top ten? Anyone people have read or talked to outside this forum who ranks SV lower than their top ten?

Matt N

CF Legend
That said, you may be the first person I’ve seen to rank Steel Vengeance outside their top ten. Is there anyone else in this forum whom I’ve missed who also put it outside their top ten? Anyone people have read or talked to outside this forum who ranks SV lower than their top ten?
I don't think he keeps a top 10, but I remember Scott from Pleasure Beach Experience (@Scott88, I believe.) not talking as positively about SV as other people have due to how much it hurt his thighs. In the park, he preferred TTD and I think he may have preferred Magnum as well. Not too sure, though.

Bedholm

Roller Poster
Just got back from an 18 day trip through Europe consisting of the UK, western Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Denmark. There were definitely a few coasters that exceeded expectations a lot and a few that really fell short. Taron was the coaster that just truly exceeded expectations as a good friend of mine who I tend to agree with a lot made it out to be the European equivalent of cheetah hunt which it wasn't. The disappointment of the trip was Karnan though. The ride did nothing for me and theming actually ruined the ride as it made the line so atrociously slow. I expected Karnan to be a top 10 ish steel if not higher and it failed to crack top 40 steel. Lastly, if it isn't obvious I love intamin and EGF was everything I wanted in a coaster. Excellent airtime, excellent lats, smooth, good pace, no pain, and just a flat-out fun coaster that does everything perfectly.
  1. Expedition GeForce
  2. El Toro
  3. Voyage
  4. Skyrush
  5. Taron
  6. Phoenix
  7. Lightning Rod
  8. X2
  9. Maverick
  10. Twisted Colossus
  11. Piraten
  12. Iron Rattler
  13. Millennium Force
  14. Montu
  15. Timber Terror
  16. Tremors
  17. Raven
  18. Renegade
  19. Nemesis
  20. Wicked Cyclone
  21. Intimidator 305
  22. Kumba
  23. Fury 325
  24. Boardwalk Bullet
  25. Storm Chaser
  26. Goliath (WH)
  27. Banshee
  28. Troy
  29. Thunderhead
  30. Gold Striker

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Just got back from an 18 day trip through Europe consisting of the UK, western Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, and Denmark. There were definitely a few coasters that exceeded expectations a lot and a few that really fell short. Taron was the coaster that just truly exceeded expectations as a good friend of mine who I tend to agree with a lot made it out to be the European equivalent of cheetah hunt which it wasn't. The disappointment of the trip was Karnan though. The ride did nothing for me and theming actually ruined the ride as it made the line so atrociously slow. I expected Karnan to be a top 10 ish steel if not higher and it failed to crack top 40 steel. Lastly, if it isn't obvious I love intamin and EGF was everything I wanted in a coaster. Excellent airtime, excellent lats, smooth, good pace, no pain, and just a flat-out fun coaster that does everything perfectly.
  1. Expedition GeForce
  2. El Toro
  3. Voyage
  4. Skyrush
  5. Taron
  6. Phoenix
  7. Lightning Rod
  8. X2
  9. Maverick
  10. Twisted Colossus
  11. Piraten
  12. Iron Rattler
  13. Millennium Force
  14. Montu
  15. Timber Terror
  16. Tremors
  17. Raven
  18. Renegade
  19. Nemesis
  20. Wicked Cyclone
  21. Intimidator 305
  22. Kumba
  23. Fury 325
  24. Boardwalk Bullet
  25. Storm Chaser
  26. Goliath (WH)
  27. Banshee
  28. Troy
  29. Thunderhead
  30. Gold Striker
Taron pushing down Phoenix hurts, but I’m glad you found some great coasters.

Just don’t tell your friend about Kärnan, whatever you do ...

Snoo

The Legend
  1. Expedition GeForce
  2. El Toro
  3. Voyage
  4. Skyrush
  5. Taron
  6. Phoenix
  7. Lightning Rod
  8. X2
  9. Maverick
  10. Twisted Colossus
  11. Piraten
  12. Iron Rattler
  13. Millennium Force
  14. Montu
  15. Timber Terror
  16. Tremors
  17. Raven
  18. Renegade
  19. Nemesis
  20. Wicked Cyclone
  21. Intimidator 305
  22. Kumba
  23. Fury 325
  24. Boardwalk Bullet
  25. Storm Chaser
  26. Goliath (WH)
  27. Banshee
  28. Troy
  29. Thunderhead
  30. Gold Striker

You are definitely unique as many have forgotten EGF exists. Hell, most of the early 2000's Intamins have fallen off the radar short of Millennium Force.

Pear

Strata Poster
I love EGF but so many better rides have come out since the early 2000's that it's kinda hard to like it as much as newer rides.

1: Wicked Cyclone. 2: Millennium Force. 3: Storm Chaser. 4: Skyrush. 5: I305. 6: Voyage (though w/ no MCBR prob higher) 7: Phoenix. 8: El Toro. 9: Maverick. 10: Boulder Dash. Honorable mentions to the new additions: Lightning Run and Mystic Timbers both of which probably make my top 15 - 20.

With no MCBR and the extra car on the train, Voyage was my #1 for six years. I was devastated when they ruined it!