What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Snoo

The Legend
I've only ridden it with the crappy restraints and yes, they are painful, but similar to Maverick, I found a way to ride which made them less painful.
I totally get that uncomfortable restraints can negatively affect the ride, but I just find that I don't care, that airtime is worth the pain!

Here's the thing.. you shouldn't have to find a way to ride a ride to make it a fantastic ride. I never had to do that with Maverick, even with the old restraints, and still LOVED it. Skyrush just plain hurt. Having larger then most thighs doesn't help either. That knocks it down a few pegs, especially to the rides around it, when I'm working to rank the ride. If that changes when I reride it, you'll be damn sure I'll move it up, but the deep muscle bruises and uncomfortable riding I experienced can't help it as of yet.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Here's the thing.. you shouldn't have to find a way to ride a ride to make it a fantastic ride. I never had to do that with Maverick, even with the old restraints, and still LOVED it. Skyrush just plain hurt. Having larger then most thighs doesn't help either. That knocks it down a few pegs, especially to the rides around it, when I'm working to rank the ride. If that changes when I reride it, you'll be damn sure I'll move it up, but the deep muscle bruises and uncomfortable riding I experienced can't help it as of yet.
Agreed, but not all rides can have clamshells or Taron restraints. Even the mighty RMCs have, in my opinion, crappy restraints that tighten, doesn't stop me loving the rides themselves tho.
I hope they have fixed the Skyrush ones, I don't really know of anyone who's ridden it recently to advise on the changes, it really is the only bug bear with the ride imo.

Snoo

The Legend
Agreed, but not all rides can have clamshells or Taron restraints. Even the mighty RMCs have, in my opinion, crappy restraints that tighten, doesn't stop me loving the rides themselves tho.
I hope they have fixed the Skyrush ones, I don't really know of anyone who's ridden it recently to advise on the changes, it really is the only bug bear with the ride imo.

See now you're assuming that I can't handle bad restraints when, in reality, the only good rides I've found with truly bad restraints are Skyrush and Superman at SFNE. Yeah, other restraints aren't the most comfortable, but they don't actively detract from the ride experience like those two rides. They make the experience less fun by existing. That isn't a good thing by any stretch and, like anything, can objectively make a ride less then it should be.

While RMC's aren't the best, certainly, but they pin me in the proper position while allowing me to enjoy the ride. Hell, my favorite restraints short of buzz bars are Intamin T-Bars, which have known to pinch a penis or two.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
See now you're assuming that I can't handle bad restraints when, in reality, the only good rides I've found with truly bad restraints are Skyrush and Superman at SFNE. Yeah, other restraints aren't the most comfortable, but they don't actively detract from the ride experience like those two rides. They make the experience less fun by existing. That isn't a good thing by any stretch and, like anything, can objectively make a ride less then it should be.

While RMC's aren't the best, certainly, but they pin me in the proper position while allowing me to enjoy the ride. Hell, my favorite restraints short of buzz bars are Intamin T-Bars, which have known to pinch a penis or two.
That's not what I meant, I was simply pointing out the most comfortable aren't the usual or majority found, not that you can't handle them.

I didn't even find the Superman ones that bad, honestly don't remember them, it was just the poor ride I was served up that sticks in the memory, be it restraints or just lacking anything. Tbh there's not many restraints I have a real problem with, yeah I'd like Taron ones on everything but generally I don't really care.
Rides could always be better, there's no perfect ride out there, but the restraint systems on both SR and LR are the one downsides for both imo, and was one of the big downsides for me on Maverick as well. Other, much worse rides such as the SLCs have a diabolical restraint system, but because the overall ride isn't anywhere near the quality of our faves, we forget, or put to one side, how bad those restraints are. Mayan at Energylandia is the perfect example, much better ride with vests rather than the huge earbashers.

The Ultimate's restraints are ****ing ghastly as well.

#Bashrestraintgate

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
I rode 19 times in the day when I visited Hershey in 2017. The restraints really aren't bad at all. They hurt a bit on the brake run but throughout the ride it's more discomfort than anything, and the insanity of that airtime is so much more than worth it. The first drop at night <3

llCoasterN3rdll

Roller Poster
I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't rank coasters lol. I have a favorite and 2nd favorite but that's it for me. It's less stressful and fun at the same time. You don't have to go into detail or spend 2 hours trying to see which coaster deserves that number 10 spot or something. On the other hand, I enjoy all coasters. Literally 90% of the coasters I've ridden are on the same level IMO. They're all fun rides. For me, if a ride did what it was supposed to do, be super fun, then I don't see why you should be disappointed or complain lol. We spend too much time complaining about things, IMO, than enjoying the rides for what they are. "It has a rattle, it isn't intense enough, it's not glossy smooth, etc and etc". Plus notice how we bash more on the rides that are actually good than the ones that are truly bad lol

Hutch

Strata Poster
Plus notice how we bash more on the rides that are actually good than the ones that are truly bad lol
^I think there's a tendency to focus on the negative things in a coaster (and in other things as well). Little flaws here and there stick out so it's easy to bring them up. I also think bashing a good ride is more likely to bring up differences in opinions and a continued discussion about the ride. Truly bad rides are probably universally disliked, so they don't necessarily call for continued discussions, and I think people would prefer to talk about the good rides or other rides that have potential.

Last edited:

Snoo

The Legend
I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't rank coasters lol. I have a favorite and 2nd favorite but that's it for me. It's less stressful and fun at the same time. You don't have to go into detail or spend 2 hours trying to see which coaster deserves that number 10 spot or something. On the other hand, I enjoy all coasters. Literally 90% of the coasters I've ridden are on the same level IMO. They're all fun rides. For me, if a ride did what it was supposed to do, be super fun, then I don't see why you should be disappointed or complain lol. We spend too much time complaining about things, IMO, than enjoying the rides for what they are. "It has a rattle, it isn't intense enough, it's not glossy smooth, etc and etc". Plus notice how we bash more on the rides that are actually good than the ones that are truly bad lol

Here's the thing, you DO rank coasters, Mr. Favorite and 2nd Favorite. :D

I think you are overestimating how much time most people rank their rides in order. For myself, I know if a ride is good, really good, or bat**** insane good as well as those who aren't. It's actually really easy to know where a ride will finally rank with a minute or so of thought. I usually only get nitpicky when two rides are close or if it ever comes up in discussion. I mean, we are on a forum and discussion IS the point. For instance, the short SkyRush discussion early is a great example. Some have it as their favorite (in fact, when we went on the... 2012 USA Live?.. we had night ERT on that beast, and rode it a solid 10 or so times in a row. I was one of maybe two people of the 10+ people there that day who didn't rank it highly. Obviously there are reasons as I mentioned above but it's always good to foster discussion between people as it helps others understand your views and sometimes even their own.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I rode 19 times in the day when I visited Hershey in 2017. The restraints really aren't bad at all. They hurt a bit on the brake run but throughout the ride it's more discomfort than anything, and the insanity of that airtime is so much more than worth it. The first drop at night <3
I last rode it in 2015 and they had changed it so the restraints popped up on the final brake run before the clock tower, but from the brakes, and around the corner down to that final area they are tight.
I totally agree, the airtime is worth the pain for me.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I think it depends on body type. I rode it ten times last summer, and "deep muscle bruises" describes the result exactly. The pain lasted for a full three days. That said, the ride was incredible DESPITE the ridiculous pain, and still sits in my top five.

Alexandre Collet

Roller Poster
Coming back from US where I visited Orlando, Los Angeles and Cleveland here is my Top30 :))) :

30. Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee
29. Karacho - Tripsdrill
28. Mako - Sea World Orlando (disappointing, overrated imo)
27. Revenge of the Mummy - Universal Studios Florida
26. Full Throttle - Six Flags Magic Mountain
25. Valravn - Cedar Point
24. Gatekeeper - Cedar Point
23. Silver Bullet - Knott’s Berry Farm (nice surprise)
22. Red Force - Ferrari Land (not really below than TDD imo)
21. Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point

20. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa (barely better than Dragon Khan)
19. Taron - Phantasialand
18. Tatsu - Six Flags Magic Mountain (too aerial, it lacks low-flying, and the Pretzel Loop wasn’t as intense I thinked, globally Manta is better for me)
17. Balder - Liseberg
16. Manta - Sea World Orlando (really smooth, insane Pretzel Loop)
15. Goliath - Walibi Holland
14. Cheetah Hunt - Busch Gardens Tampa (so nice-looking, perfect situation)
13. Expedition Ge Force (a bit rattle, nice Hyper Coaster but old layout)
12. Katun - Mirabilandia
11. Oz’Iris - Parc Astérix (perfect layout, alternation of positive and negative g-forces)

10. Xcelerator - Knott’s Berry Farm : A small masterpiece, really intense Launch and good Overbanked-Turns)
9. SheiKra - Busch Gardens Tampa : Another masterpiece, lovely situation, excellent drops but a bit weak in the morning
8. Shambhala - Port Aventura : Really impressive dominating Port Aventura’s skyline, so nice-looking, not strong airtimes but really enjoyable Floater, a bit too soft for me but the Dive Coaster-drop is awesome
7. Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa : My favorite Inverted ! Another masterpiece in BGT. Perfectly smooth for 22 years :)rolleyes:), insane Batwing and Flat Spin, very well-paced
6. Maverick - Cedar Point : One of the best drops for me, really intense and ejecting, excellent curves low to thé ground, good airtime on Camelback, so strong Launch and all the last part is passed in force
5. iSpeed - Mirabilandia : Mira’s masterpiece, powerful Launch, really intense Top Hat, Ejector on Camelback, so well-paced inversions
4. Helix - Liseberg : Liseberg’s masterpiece, perfect layout, lovely situation and view over Göteborg at night, well-paced, so great airtimes on Camelbacks, enjoyable inversions, the only problem are Launchs
3. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point : Really disappointing in the morning, excellent Coaster in the evening. Not extreme Ejector Airtimes but really good so, unfortunately the First drop isn’t very intense, the best part is after MDB with the series of little Ejector, SV holds its strenght from its duration
2. X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain : Scariest thing I ever made, a bit rough and very shaky at the and so cross your legs, « is everybody in, ceremony is about to begin » resonate in my heart, awesome drop doubtless one the best, extremely intense layout and not really rerideable but so good !
1. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain : My First RMC! First Drop is better than others which are three times taller (better than Millenium Force), Ejector Airtime is so strong, I was in high spirits, laughing every time, Stengel Dive are powerful, and luckily if trains are synchronyzed you’re in communion with other Riders and it will be one of the most enjoyable moment in your Coasterfan’s life !

Hutch

Strata Poster
^Good variety, and some really interesting placements there. Others seem to rate Twisted Colossus as one of the lower tier RMCs, so it's interesting you have it above Steel Vengeance and at #1. I guess it really depends on the dueling aspect, it does sound like that could really add to it.
What do you think of Taron? I haven't done it, but it's pretty common in other people's Top Ten.

Oh, and welcome to CoasterForce!

Alexandre Collet

Roller Poster
^Good variety, and some really interesting placements there. Others seem to rate Twisted Colossus as one of the lower tier RMCs, so it's interesting you have it above Steel Vengeance and at #1. I guess it really depends on the dueling aspect, it does sound like that could really add to it.

What do you think of Taron? I haven't done it, but it's pretty common in other people's Top Ten.

Oh, and welcome to CoasterForce!

For TC I was really impressed by the strengh of the Airtimes again, admittedly the two sections of layout are short independtly and Dueling add a great plus.

I only did Steel Vengeance 2 times because of its closing (it was during the opening weekend) and it is really overhyped. This is great, really intense in the evening, a bit demanding and I like that, certainly a masterpiece but unfortunately not strong airtimes as TC.

Then I think Taron is nice but a bit too-family for me, not so strong airtimes, not powerful Launchs, first part is a bit dull but curves in the 2nd part are still great like theming !

And thanks for welcoming me ! :)

Peet

Giga Poster
Nice list, it's good to see some placements that are different to the majority opinion! Sadly when I was at SFMM it was so quiet that there were never 2 trains going round Twisted Colossus at the same time, sounds like I missed out!

Snoo

The Legend
Interesting. I've heard NOTHING but bad things across the community revolving around Twisted Colossus, not only compared to other rides in the park but to most RMC's in general. I have yet to ride but the layout doesn't give me high hopes.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
When the Taron fans see this...

giphy.gif

Bryan Wagner

Roller Poster
I have Ten
1. Steel Vengeance
2. Maverick
3.Millenium
4. Beast
5. Rock nRoller coaster
6. Raptor
7. Gatekeeper
8. Space Mountain
8. Kraken
9.Kumba
10 Montu
In doing this list I realized I have to get to more Parks. Lol

Snoo

The Legend
I have Ten
1. Steel Vengeance
2. Maverick
3.Millenium
4. Beast
5. Rock nRoller coaster
6. Raptor
7. Gatekeeper
8. Space Mountain
8. Kraken
9.Kumba
10 Montu
In doing this list I realized I have to get to more Parks. Lol

We were all noobs once. :)

Bryan Wagner

Roller Poster
We were all noobs once. :)
Yeah but I live within a few hours of a lot of Coasters I just gotta make time for Carowinds and Kings island during trips home and break from grandkids for universal and sea world for Mako. Also six flags in ga I go to Atlanta 4 or five times a year. 48 and I realize I haven’t been to many different parks.

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah but I live within a few hours of a lot of Coasters I just gotta make time for Carowinds and Kings island during trips home and break from grandkids for universal and sea world for Mako. Also six flags in ga I go to Atlanta 4 or five times a year. 48 and I realize I haven’t been to many different parks.
You got it easy then! You can work to slip in an extra day if you can to knock out those parks. That's cake, especially if you live close to some major parks or happen to be by them for family or work reasons. I've always been a man of big trips but most of those were done when I was in college. At the spry old age of 31 with 3 midgets, that doesn't happen. BUT! I do get to take them to the parks now which, as I found out last week, is now awesome on all levels. :)