What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

James F

Hyper Poster
No, sadly we only had a couple of days in Tokyo then a few days in Disney - hoping to go back next year though to explore Japan a little more! This place looks great, had never heard of it.
Yeah it looks like it's quite an underrated park. I have heard the mega lite amazing and I have heard positive things about the wooden coaster too.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

nadroJ

CF Legend
Woooow it's been a long time since this saw an update! Anyway, Dinoconda is :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing obscene, and Shambhala is a dry fart nowadays. So off you pop, there's a good lamb:

Skyrush
Taron
El Toro
Helix
Iron Rattler
Nemesis
Dinoconda
The Voyage
Oz'Iris
Dodonpa

End of the trip, top ten looks like this:
Skyrush
Taron
Formula Rossa
El Toro
Helix
Nemesis
Dodonpa
Iron Rattler
Dinoconda
The Voyage

I've given Oz'Iris the boot, as as much as I do prefer it coaster-wise to Nemesis, you just can't beat that theming, especially on a night ride. I've also had a reshuffle to try and emulate something looking like an order.

mouse

Giga Poster
Did you ride Flying Aces? I've noticed generally people rate it higher than Formula Rossa, how come it's not top ten worthy (if you rode it that is)?

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Let's see if I can widen this to 25 as other people have done...

1. Katun, Mirabilandia
2. Nemesis, Alton Towers
3. Helix, Liseberg
4. Vampire, La Ronde
5. Colossos, Heide Park
6. Shambhala, Port Aventura

7. Black Mamba, Phantasialand
8. Wodan, Europa Park
9. Behemoth, Canada's Wonderland
10. Expedition ge Force, Holiday Park
------------------------------------------------
11. Leviathan, Canada's Wonderland
12. Blue Fire, Europa Park
13. Troy, Toverland
14. Baron 1898, Efteling
15. Lynet, Farup Sommerland

16. Fluch von Novgorod, Hansa Park
17. Balder, Liseberg
18. Os Iris, Parc Asterix
19. DC Rivals Hypercoaster, WB Movie World
20. The Swarm, Thorpe Park
21. Lost Gravity, Walibi Holland
22. Dragon Khan, Port Aventura
23. Psyke Underground, Walibi Belgium
24. Anubis, Plopsaland
25. iSpeed, Mirabilandia

I've probably had more than one ride on most of the coasters in bold, but have only been to the park on one specific holiday during the coaster's operating life - as such, opinions subject to change. This is based on coasters rated 8 or higher on my spreadsheet, so it's quite possible I've forgotten one or two. I've also made the decision to remove Blackpool's Wild Mouse, which would probably have been top 20 material before it got spited.
Interesting top 25. I was wondering if you could clarify DC Rivals being so low as I have heard nothing but amazing things about it.
And also Vampire at La Ronde, has never looked like a top 5 coaster to me.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Did you ride Flying Aces? I've noticed generally people rate it higher than Formula Rossa, how come it's not top ten worthy (if you rode it that is)?

I did ride it - Rossa is better. It’s fab, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not as good as SkyRush and the front row of Rossa is unlike anything else I’ve ever experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I did ride it - Rossa is better. It’s fab, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not as good as SkyRush and the front row of Rossa is unlike anything else I’ve ever experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh yeah, for sure. Flying Aces is really great, but Formula Rossa's launch and speed is immense(especially in the front, as you say).

Snoo

The Legend
Added the newness for 2018 as well.. the season literally started 3 days ago. SV is a solid coaster which fits all of my qualities of a fantastic ride. As I said in the construction topic, I really need to ride it again to determine if its better then the rides ahead of it or not. I also REALLY need to get on El Toro as I haven't been on it since 2007, which is a true abomination.

Another note is that Maverick, for the first time since it opened in 2007, is it not in my top 10. One of the longest running coasters short of Toro. I did have a great ride on it Saturday night but still doesn't hold up to the rides above it.

1 Lightning Rod - Dollywood
2 Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
3 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
4 Goliath - Six Flags Great America
5 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
6 Wildfire - Kolmarden
7 Voyage - Holiday World
8 Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
9 Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
10 Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer

11 Maverick - Cedar Point
12 Phoenix - Knoebels
13 Cornball Express - Indiana Beach
14 Banshee - Kings Island
15 Afterburn - Carowinds
16 Boardwalk Bullet - Kemah Boardwalk
17 Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
18 Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
19 Superman The Ride - Six Flags New England
20 Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom
21 X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain
22 Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland
23 Tatsu - Six Flags Magic Mountain
24 Evel Knievel - Six Flags St. Louis
25 Prowler - Worlds of Fun
26 Leviathan - Canada's Wonderland
27 Fury 325 - Carowinds
28 Thunderbird - Holiday World
29 Superman Krypton Coaster - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
30 SkyRush - HersheyPark

Pear

Strata Poster
Goliath can't be that good

And what year are you basing that Boulder Dash ranking off of? Clearly it wasn't very recent because it's been hot garbage for the past 2 years or so.

Snoo

The Legend

And what year are you basing that Boulder Dash ranking off of? Clearly it wasn't very recent because it's been hot garbage for the past 2 years or so.

It is? I enjoyed it quite a bit and the airtime was insane. As far as Boulder Dash, I rode it before the retracking. It was riding like liquid beautiful. Things may have changed as you alluded to but until I ride it, I can't say that and it will stay as my #2.

And lets be honest Pear.. you have 305 as #2 and I don't even have it in my Top 30. We have different feelings here. :p

Interesting you rank it like that. Even I, the closest thing to a SFGAm Fanboy here, would probably put SteVe over Goliath.

Just 48 days for me!

I REALLY need to ride it again. The ride takes another run to really absorb tbh. I think it may take it over, especially after riding it at night, but I have to make that happen first before I can make that call.

Pear

Strata Poster
It is? I enjoyed it quite a bit and the airtime was insane. As far as Boulder Dash, I rode it before the retracking. It was riding like liquid beautiful. Things may have changed as you alluded to but until I ride it, I can't say that and it will stay as my #2.

Yeah the poor management decisions and upkeep have made the ride not as good as it used to be. It really sucks seeing it get worse every year.

Pre-2015 the ride was incredible and the park could actually run 2 trains without crashing them. I will forever cherish the ride I got in 2014 and 2015 as those were the peak years of the ride in my opinion.

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah the poor management decisions and upkeep have made the ride not as good as it used to be. It really sucks seeing it get worse every year.

Pre-2015 the ride was incredible and the park could actually run 2 trains without crashing them. I will forever cherish the ride I got in 2014 and 2015 as those were the peak years of the ride in my opinion.

Funny you’d say that as I first “found” the ride in 2007 before it really blew up. It was right after the triple up happened. ‘‘Tis be a shame if that’s happened though as you said as that ride, even when not at its best, was always top 10 material.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
1 Lightning Rod - Dollywood
2 Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
3 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
4 Goliath - Six Flags Great America
5 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
6 Wildfire - Kolmarden

7 Voyage - Holiday World
8 Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
9 Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom

10 Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
RMC fanboy alert ;)

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
1: Lightning Rod - Dollywood
2: Steel Vengeance -Cedar Point
3: Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
4: Voyage - Holiday World
5: Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
6: Goliath - Six Flags Great America
7: Shambhala - Port Aventura
8: Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
9: Phoenix - Knoebels
10: Leap The Dips - Lakemont Park

Just Kicked off:

Maverick - Cedar Point

New in Bold. Ridden within the last 2 years Italicized.

I come across this problem where I find myself trying to compare rides that blew my mind many years ago to fresh experiences. I've realized that when I'm debating between these rides I've erred on the side of the fresher experience which leads to the way my current top 10 is set up. Outlaw Run was like something I had never experienced before, but it's been 5 years and I don't know if it still is as opposed to Steel Vengeance which having ridden both Saturday and Sunday can confidently say is a great coaster. I'm hoping to get back to re-ride the parts of my top 10 that I haven't ridden recently (except Shambhala, that's just not feasible) and see how my memories hold up to the current realities.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster

Huh? I have been on it a TON in the past 2 years and it has been amazing. The rides I got last October were my best ever and pushed it over Maverick into my number one spot. It's relatively smooth everywhere but the turn after the first drop, and the airtime and laterals are so good.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Yes, Goliath IS that good. But I do believe that I need to get on it again. It was my first RMC nearly four years ago. Same goes for El Toro...it's been almost nine years.

That is quite amazing that Maverick FINALLY dropped out of Snoo's top 10. Really says something about how quality that ride has been for a solid decade. Also...One lone steel coaster remains in his top...Storm Chaser.

Also, you think Marcus is a RMC fanboy? Wait til you see my top four. Newly ridden in 2018 in bold:

1. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
  2. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
  3. Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
  4. Goliath - Six Flags Great America
  5. The Voyage - Holiday World
  6. Bizarro - Six Flags New England
  7. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
  8. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
  9. Maverick - Cedar Point
  10. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom

11. Banshee - King's Island
  12. X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain
  13. Tatsu - Six Flags Magic Mountain
  14. The Joker - Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
  15. Mako - Sea World Florida
  16. Thunderbird - Holiday World
  17. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
  18. Leviathan - Canada's Wonderland
  19. Skyrush - Hersheypark
  20. Mine Blower - Fun Spot Kissimmee

21. Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
  22. SheiKra - Busch Gardens Tampa
  23. Valravn - Cedar Point
  24. Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
  25. Phoenix - Knoebels
  26. Flight Deck - California's Great America
  27. Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom
  28. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa
  29. Griffon - Busch Gardens Williamsburg
  30. Mystic Timbers - Kings Island

I quickly shifted some things around. Kumba jumped way up, Griffon plummeted, etc. I really need to stare at it for longer than a few minutes. There are some rankings that I'm not quite sure of (RFII and Phoenix), and that gets much worse beyond the top 30.

Regardless, many of us have been on 300+ coasters. At that point, one's top 10 basically becomes sacred ground. After analyzing many members' top 20s and 30s, you really can't go wrong with the lists of rides - the vast majority are fantastic.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Also, you think Marcus is a RMC fanboy? Wait til you see my top four.

1. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
  2. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
  3. Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
  4. Goliath - Six Flags Great America
  5. The Voyage - Holiday World
  6. Bizarro - Six Flags New England
  7. Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
  8. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
  9. Maverick - Cedar Point
  10. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
Nah, he has 6 RMCs in his top 10, you only have 5, must try harder ;)

You are both criminally underrating Skyrush by the way, but we will hammer that out with Marcus at the Live in June :D

Snoo

The Legend
Nah, he has 6 RMCs in his top 10, you only have 5, must try harder ;)

You are both criminally underrating Skyrush by the way, but we will hammer that out with Marcus at the Live in June :D

Nope. Rode it what 15 or so times during ERT for a US Live a few years back. I stand firm with that ride being great, but not that great. Of course, I did ride it before the new restraints, so I may need to get on it again to see if it's improved.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Nope. Rode it what 15 or so times during ERT for a US Live a few years back. I stand firm with that ride being great, but not that great. Of course, I did ride it before the new restraints, so I may need to get on it again to see if it's improved.
I've only ridden it with the crappy restraints and yes, they are painful, but similar to Maverick, I found a way to ride which made them less painful.
I totally get that uncomfortable restraints can negatively affect the ride, but I just find that I don't care, that airtime is worth the pain!