Digging all the Skyrush love guys!

All aboard the Skyrush train @Snoo
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Looking forward to see (that is, create) this year's collected top rankings. Lots of great lists being posted!

I'm also toying with the idea of incorporating lists "in no particular order" in a better way than we did last year (listing them in order of posting, which means at least one Top 10 list ended up being in alphabetical order if I recall correctly). We have a few members with coaster counts so high they've stopped making a Top 10, but whose input would still be valuable. I can't remember who said it, but one reaction to last year's list stuck with me: "Why is Eejanaika nowhere near top 10?". Because almost everyone who's well-traveled enough to have ridden Eejanaika didn't post their top 10 list. We should have a way to accommodate rankings that aren't as strictly ordered. Anybody have any ideas as to how to do this? Would it help at all?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Dunno about the last bit, but I'm sort of at that stage now where keeping a definitive, accurate top 10 is just too difficult, but for the purposes of the collected rankings, here is a top 10ish of coasters off the top of my head that come to me as I type...

1. Steel Vengeance
2. Helix
3. X2
4. Nemesis
5. Top Thrill Dragster
6. Untamed
7. El Toro
8. Outlaw Run
9. Behemoth
10. Tatsu
11. Wildfire
12. Goliath (Walibi Holland)
13. Voyage
14. Taron
15. Revenge of the Mummy (Florida)
16. Dragon Khan
17. Volcano the Blast Coaster
18. Thunderbird
19. Verbolten
20. Oblivion
21. Pulsar
22. Kingda Ka
23. Storm Chaser
24. Time Traveler
25. The Swarm
26. T'Ultimate
27. Olympia Looping
28. Colossos
29. I305
30. Leviathan

Errr... that's about it. Like I said, that's not definitive and I may have forgotten one or two corkers, but today, here, now, those are rides that came to my head when thinking about my favourite coasters ever.
Hope that helps, @Pokemaniac :)

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
24. The Swarm
This is the only one that feels a bit out of place in the list, have to admit. Rest is a bloody cracking selection of coasters, and Swarm is by no means bad, but it's quite a step down from the rest of the list.

That "top five" is such a good set.

I need to update mine...

Howie

Donkey in a hat
<Thud>

<Picks self up from floor>

Did you... did you just say something fairly complimentary about my taste in coasters? ?
This is a new experience for me, not quite sure how to react. What happens now?
Thanks Hix. I know you're only trying to make up for the muppet comparison yesterday, but I'll take it. :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Did you... did you just say something fairly complimentary about my taste in coasters? ?
Hey! You've got some good coasters in there - can't hold that against ya! Swarm is an odd choice though, so not quite perfect. ;)

Thanks Hix. I know you're only trying to make up for the muppet comparison yesterday, but I'll take it. :)
I stand by it. You two bickering gives me much joy. <3

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Howie's post made me think I should update mine. I hate doing this - with a lot of these it's like choosing between my children. Fairly happy with the first ten, you know, but the closer to twenty I get the more it drifts off. I'm thinking I need to modify my thinking and do a top five and then twenty or so 'best notable' from there. Oh I don't know... :p

Anyway, probably something like this:

1. Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
2. Lightning Rod, Dollywood
3. Taron, Phantasialand
4. Fury 325, Carowinds
5. Dinoconda, China Dinosaurs Park
6. Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
7. Skyrush, Hersheypark
8. X2, Six Flags Magic Mountain
9. Voyage, Holiday World
10. Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point

11. Helix, Liseberg
12. Storm Chaser, Kentucky Kingdom
13. Montu, Busch Gardens Africa
14. Formula Rossa, Ferrari World Abu Dhabi
15. Soaring with Dragon, Hefei Wanda Theme Park
16. Nemesis, Alton Towers
17. Wildfire, Kolmarden
18. TRON Lightcycle Power Run, Shanghai Disneyland
19. Wodan Timbur Coaster, Europa Park
20. Maverick, Cedar Point

Last edited:

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^Dunno about the last bit, but I'm sort of at that stage now where keeping a definitive, accurate top 10 is just too difficult, but for the purposes of the collected rankings, here is a top 10ish of coasters off the top of my head that come to me as I type...

1. Steel Vengeance
2. Helix
3. X2
4. Nemesis
5. Top Thrill Dragster
6. Untamed
7. El Toro
8. Outlaw Run
9. Behemoth
10. Tatsu
11. Wildfire
12. Goliath (Walibi Holland)
13. Voyage
14. Taron
15. Revenge of the Mummy (Florida)
16. Dragon Khan
17. Volcano the Blast Coaster
18. Thunderbird
19. Verbolten
20. Oblivion
21. Pulsar
22. Kingda Ka
23. Storm Chaser
24. Time Traveler
25. The Swarm
26. T'Ultimate
27. Olympia Looping
28. Colossos
29. I305
30. Leviathan

Errr... that's about it. Like I said, that's not definitive and I may have forgotten one or two corkers, but today, here, now, those are rides that came to my head when thinking about my favourite coasters ever.
Hope that helps, @Pokemaniac :)
Hixee might not give you flak but I'll give you some. Behemoth is excellent, but 9?! Revenge of the Mummy over Dragon Khan and Thunderbird?! Volcano even being present on the list?! ?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
To be fair @Antinos , I did include a disclaimer:
here is a top 10ish of coasters off the top of my head that come to me as I type...

Like I said, that's not definitive and I may have forgotten one or two corkers, but today, here, now, those are the rides that came to my head.

Behemoth is awesome - the floatiest of the floaties.
Volcano (RIP) was amazing - went in blissfully unaware that it was even a launch coaster, let alone a double launch coaster. NIght ride plus front row plus bonus fireworks while onride = awesome.
RotM... FIRE!!!!
Yep, I'm standing by those entries.

Matt N

CF Legend
Great list @Howie! Nice to see another Swarm fan (at least your list implies you are, anyway!); I always feel rather outnumbered when I say that it's among my favourite UK coasters!

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Ahhh... this really pains me. It's so very much my kinda thing and objectively feels like it could be even higher, but it never quite had that head in hands moment on the brakerun that 2-5 did.

1. Helix - Liseberg
2. Python in Bamboo Forest - Wanda Nanchang
3. Jungle Trailblazer - Fantawild Dreamland Zhengzhou
4. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain
5. Skyrush - Hersheypark
6. Taiga - Linnanmäki
7. Flying Aces - Ferrari World
8. Eejanaika - Fuji-Q Highland
9. Wood Coaster - Knight Valley
10. Hakugei - Nagashima Spa Land

11. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
12. Fjord Flying Dragon - Happy Valley Tianjin
13. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
14. Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
15. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
16. OCT Thrust SSC1000 - Happy Valley Wuhan
17. Taron - Phantasialand
18. DC Rivals Hypercoaster - Warner Bros. Movie World
19. Flying Dinosaur - Universal Studios Japan
20. Jungle Trailblazer - Oriental Heritage Wuhu
21. Wooden Coaster - Fireball - Happy Valley Shanghai
22. Twisted Cyclone - Six Flags Over Georgia
23. Railblazer - California's Great America
24. Extreme Rusher - Happy Valley Beijing
25. T Express - Everland

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I totally understand that feeling. Whenever I ride something like Ravine Flyer II, Storm Chaser, or Phoenix, I always ask myself why I haven't ranked them higher. Then I look at my top ten and understand why. We get to a certain point in our coaster counts where ranking rides - especially those in the top 20 or 30 of our lists - becomes quite difficult. Top tens begin to look like sacred territory after a certain point. But looking at your list, it certainly looks like Taiga is in some damn good company.

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
Says the one with Silver Star in their top 5...
NGL, Taron gets waaaaay to much hype on these forums as it's fanboys will defend it to death.

Come on guys it only has two good launches, one good moment of airtime and some meandering twists and turns. I know that I'm going to be met with a lot of hate, maybe a death threat or two and a whole lot of fanboys saying "BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT iT hAs immErSIve tHeMing and aIrtiMe on evErY tRansItioN!"

On another note, when I rode Silver Star only one Trim brake activated and the MCBR didn't slow the train down at all, resulting in some very satisfying airtime. If it is "a weaker B&M Hyper" then I can see why Mr Breadcooms enjoys Shambhala so much!

Matt N

CF Legend
NGL, Taron gets waaaaay to much hype on these forums as it's fanboys will defend it to death.

Come on guys it only has two good launches, one good moment of airtime and some meandering twists and turns. I know that I'm going to be met with a lot of hate, maybe a death threat or two and a whole lot of fanboys saying "BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT iT hAs immErSIve tHeMing and aIrtiMe on evErY tRansItioN!"
Did you ride it at night? Admittedly, I haven't ridden Taron, but from what I've heard, it's apparently one of those rides that you need to ride at night for it to really show the best it has to offer.

On the other hand, maybe you just have an uncommon opinion, which is fine!

Expedition Coaster

Roller Poster
Did you ride it at night? Admittedly, I haven't ridden Taron, but from what I've heard, it's apparently one of those rides that you need to ride at night for it to really show the best it has to offer.

On the other hand, maybe you just have an uncommon opinion, which is fine!
No - I visited the park in July when it was open till 8 PM and I wasn't staying on sight (So no Hotel Guest ERT). Even with that, I doubt that the ride running for an extra 2 hours will make much difference to the ride's forces.

Matt N

CF Legend
No - I visited the park in July when it was open till 8 PM and I wasn't staying on sight (So no Hotel Guest ERT). Even with that, I doubt that the ride running for an extra 2 hours will make much difference to the ride's forces.
I suppose so; I was just going off of what I'd heard!