What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Snoo

The Legend
Grand national has a mobius loop layout. So technically it only has one track. Sorry I know I am being a bit anal about this, I just wondering where the line is.

I have never really considered dual coasters as separate credits unless they have different layouts.

I'll just stick to rcdb.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Well rcdb isn't in the business of how you count your rides, moreso of just saying "this exists and here are the details!" For instance, the former Dragon Challenge at IoA only had one entry but that is clearly two tracks: https://rcdb.com/558.htm

And Grand National is only 1 as mentioned by the final gentleman above. Captain Coaster isn't exactly as refined as say RCDB, who's existed for two plus decades.

When it comes to counting creds, the most conventional method is to count each track as their own credit as each track is a separate entity from the other. Not saying you have to adhere to that rule but it is the most common among enthusiasts.

Pear

Strata Poster
Have you got a source for this? If true this is very disappointing news.

It's not true. The ride is running just as fast as it was last year and I can attest to that since I rode it on the 19th. There are also many videos from Scream Extreme's opening that show the ride running at the same speed.

Have you got a source for this? If true this is very disappointing news.

Haha @Jarrett and his friend Ben went back and said the wheels were back to the original.. But who knows. I'd like to think they weren't bull****ting!

Also as far as the Steeplechase debate, you could relocate each track individually and still operate them as separate coasters. Therefore, different creds.

James F

Hyper Poster
I am not sure you could because the steeplechase shares the same support structure.

I mean, I think its possible, but I know what your point is.
Haha @Jarrett and his friend Ben went back and said the wheels were back to the original.. But who knows. I'd like to think they weren't bull:emoji_poop:ting!

Also as far as the Steeplechase debate, you could relocate each track individually and still operate them as separate coasters. Therefore, different creds.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I’ve been told that Chaser had an issue with chewing through wheels faster than expected so that might have been why they went with the steel. Last year I know they had steel wheels on it around Holiwood Nights weekend (when everyone and their brother was ranking it as #1) and you could see the difference in footage. When I rode it in October though I can confirm it was running a polymer wheel of sorts, which felt a lot more like the nylon than it did the polyurethane.

Rolling creates high stresses because it’s such a low area of contact for a lot of force, and when it’s a hard material like steel it gets even smaller. With the types of contact stresses that would create I bet those steel wheels took a ton of punishment, which might have had them wear out sooner. The rumor I heard about the nylon was that it was backup for the poly wheels it was chewing up too fast, so it sounds like the nylon just logically might be the sweet spot for hardness that lasts the longest.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I’ve been told that Chaser had an issue with chewing through wheels faster than expected so that might have been why they went with the steel. Last year I know they had steel wheels on it around Holiwood Nights weekend (when everyone and their brother was ranking it as #1) and you could see the difference in footage. When I rode it in October though I can confirm it was running a polymer wheel of sorts, which felt a lot more like the nylon than it did the polyurethane.

Rolling creates high stresses because it’s such a low area of contact for a lot of force, and when it’s a hard material like steel it gets even smaller. With the types of contact stresses that would create I bet those steel wheels took a ton of punishment, which might have had them wear out sooner. The rumor I heard about the nylon was that it was backup for the poly wheels it was chewing up too fast, so it sounds like the nylon just logically might be the sweet spot for hardness that lasts the longest.
Thanks Jarrett! So to summarise;
At opening it was Poly, but wheels weren't lasting long, so switched to;
Steel in June, which didn't seem to last much longer so switched to;
A Nylon/Poly backup by October, which it's still currently running on?

Jarrett

Thanks Jarrett! So to summarise;
At opening it was Poly, but wheels weren't lasting long, so switched to;
Steel in June, which didn't seem to last much longer so switched to;
A Nylon/Poly backup by October, which it's still currently running on?
Close.

Opened with poly in 2016.
A bit over halfway through 2016, they had fewer poly left than they needed, so they switched to nylon.
In May/June 2017, it ran with steel wheels for some reason. These have the least rolling resistance of any of the three and as such the second half of the ride was fastest with them.
Sometime in summer of 2017, they switched back to nylon, presumably because of the contact stresses I hypothesized.
It has continued to run nylon to this day.

I think all the other RMCs built recently also run nylon too but I could be wrong. I don’t see Twisted Cyclone retaining all that momentum with poly.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
1: Lightning Rod - Dollywood
2: Steel Vengeance -Cedar Point
3: Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
4: Voyage - Holiday World
5: Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
6: Goliath - Six Flags Great America
7: Shambhala - Port Aventura
8: Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
9: Phoenix - Knoebels
10: Leap The Dips - Lakemont Park

Just Kicked off:

Leap the Dips

New in Bold. Ridden within the last 2 years Italicized.

1: Lightning Rod - Dollywood
2: Steel Vengeance -Cedar Point
3: Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
4: Voyage - Holiday World
5: Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
6: Goliath - Six Flags Great America
7: Shambhala - Port Aventura
8: Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer
9: Phoenix - Knoebels
10: Twisted Timbers - King's Dominion

New in Bold. Ridden within the last 2 years Italicized.

Decided to remove the Coaster I really love and think is underrated spot (what i was using as my number 10) from my rankings which leaves me here. As for timbers, It's by far the most B&M RMC i've ridden. It still has the couple of wow what just happened RMC moments but it's not as intense and the pacing isn't as hyper-aggressive as the other top tier RMC's, but honestly it's mostly just a lot of well shaped airtime hills (like a B&M hyper) and what can I say I love them. It was definitely something I felt like the park needed

Last edited:

Error

Strata Poster
Getting ready for some hate here:
1-Outlaw Run
2-Lightning Rod
3-Lightning Run
4-Voyage
5-Phoenix
6-Mystic Timbers
7-Ravine Flyer 2
8-Steel Vengeance (I can't justify it going any higher anymore)
9-Storm Chaser
10-Banshee

11-Skyrush
12-Thunderbird
13-Maverick
14-Wildfire
15-Dominator

This is all solely based on a direct comparison of what I would rather ride if I had to pick one or the other.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
What have you done @Error

giphy.gif

1-Outlaw Run
2-Lightning Rod
3-Lightning Run
4-Voyage
5-Phoenix
6-Mystic Timbers
7-Ravine Flyer 2
9-Storm Chaser
10-Banshee

11-Skyrush
12-Thunderbird
13-Maverick
14-Wildfire
15-Dominator

This is all solely based on a direct comparison of what I would rather ride if I had to pick one or the other.

That's literally how I choose my top ten. I think to myself if two rides were next ti eachother and I could only ride one, which would I choose? Your low ranking of Steel Vengeance is still blasphemy though. Where did you ride? Why is it so low? I'm genuinely curious!

Also, **** I keep forgetting about Phoenix.

Samekuuu

Roller Poster
I even dont know if this is worth mentioning, but here is mine.
(83 credits at this point)

1: Taron
2: Blue Fire
3: Black Mamba
4: Monster
5: Troy
6: Wodan
7: Goliath (Walibi Holland)
8: Lost Gravity
9: Anubis the ride
10: Pulsar

Since I'm going to Canada's Wonderland and Movie Park Germany this year i'm sure this will change my list up.
i'm aiming for 120 credits in Januari 2019.

Pear

Strata Poster
1-Outlaw Run
2-Lightning Rod
3-Lightning Run
4-Voyage
5-Phoenix
6-Mystic Timbers
7-Ravine Flyer 2
9-Storm Chaser
10-Banshee

11-Skyrush
12-Thunderbird
13-Maverick
14-Wildfire
15-Dominator

Mind explaining why Storm Chaser is so much lower than Lightning Run? Storm Chaser blows it out of the water for me as the airtime is so much better.

Error

Strata Poster
Your low ranking of Steel Vengeance is still blasphemy though. Where did you ride? Why is it so low? I'm genuinely curious!
Rode it once during Frontier Hoedown, row 4, a second time in row 11 opening day. Both of those times I was a single rider so I was told where to go to fill in the train. I've gone back several times with the intention of riding it again, but it's been down mechanical or for wind. What it boils down to for me is the amount of intensity is too much for me. With Outlaw Run and Lightning Rod, it was intense for just a short amount of time that I was comfortable. With Steel Vengeance, I'm done by the time the layout goes through the structure. It also doesn't help that both times I rode it, the lap bar would rub against my stomach so many times that it made it raw. I'm working on getting that fixed, but that might not be until next year.
Mind explaining why Storm Chaser is so much lower than Lightning Run? Storm Chaser blows it out of the water for me as the airtime is so much better.
Sure: Lightning Run surprised me with how much airtime was in such a small ride. Storm Chaser, while good, had those off-axis airtime hills that I just can't like.

Pear

Strata Poster
The off axis hills were great IMO. The twisted double up and double down were one of the only times the amount of airtime scared me on a ride.

That's literally how I choose my top ten. I think to myself if two rides were next ti eachother and I could only ride one, which would I choose? Your low ranking of Steel Vengeance is still blasphemy though. Where did you ride? Why is it so low? I'm genuinely curious!
Rode it once during Frontier Hoedown, row 4, a second time in row 11 opening day. Both of those times I was a single rider so I was told where to go to fill in the train. I've gone back several times with the intention of riding it again, but it's been down mechanical or for wind. What it boils down to for me is the amount of intensity is too much for me. With Outlaw Run and Lightning Rod, it was intense for just a short amount of time that I was comfortable. With Steel Vengeance, I'm done by the time the layout goes through the structure. It also doesn't help that both times I rode it, the lap bar would rub against my stomach so many times that it made it raw. I'm working on getting that fixed, but that might not be until next year.

Sure: Lightning Run surprised me with how much airtime was in such a small ride. Storm Chaser, while good, had those off-axis airtime hills that I just can't like.

Ah okay, see I found Strel Vengeance the absolute perfect amount of intensity. Not a lot of positive Gs, fantastic airtime without being borderline painful like Storm Chaser, and just a great experience overall!

Jarrett

Rapidly fluctuating forces I love, strong negative force magnitude I love, strong positives I just don't care for. I don't find them painful or offensive like @LiveForTheLaunch seems to be saying, they're just irrelevant to me.

Now Steel Vengeance we all know I adore. The power of those negative forces over some of those hills is balls to the wall insane, and when you add in pacing and force fluctuation rate (probably the other two big things I look for in a coaster), it brings all three to the table and it brings them well. Now I305, Batman clones, Gio hypers, and other coasters that are associated with positive forces, I don't think anything like that even makes my top fifty. I'm so glad I rode 305 as a new enthusiast because as I got into coasters, I started to see it slip pretty dramatically in my rankings, despite seeing it as a pretty common number one. So I rode it again last year, thinking my memory wasn't accurate since I was such an inexperienced enthusiast, thinking I didn't know what to pay attention to when I rode it, and it was the most anticlimactic thing ever. Sure it spend most of the time pounding me with positive force, but I was just sitting through it, waiting for it to do something cool with all that speed, but what it did do was just repetitive, and the icing on the cake was the absolutely pitiful airtime it had crawling over its hills. The only sensation that I considered to be extreme was the magnitude of the positive force, spending way too much time doing the thing I didn't care about, but doing it really well.

When a machine is designed, it's like what I saw that food stand worker tell the angry guest at Six Flags America, "This ain't no #$%& Burger King, you don't always get it your way." You can't have a cost efficient ride that's comfortable and spends a ton of time doing everything a coaster can do that costs a reasonable amount. There are sacrifices you have to make to do something that's above average and they're usually noticeable. The choice 305's designers made was to use less of their resources on airtime and pacing elements and focus most of it on sustaining strong positive force around the layout. Now many enthusiasts consider that the holy grail of coasters, I personally find sitting there being crushed by the same force over a long, boring interval to be monotonous. RMC's engineers, on the other hand, have actually stated they aren't big into positive G's and prefer to focus on other things, many of which happen to be exactly what I like in a coaster. Now what I'm getting from what @Pear is saying that he enjoys pretty much any sensation on a coaster as long as it could be considered extreme relative to other rides, and this wouldn't be the first time I've seen that. For me, not just any extreme sensation will do, it has to be one that actually interests me. Some do, some are eh, some don't.

Anyway, before I type a third paragraph, here's my first update here since last summer. Wanted to get it out there so I have a comparison to make after Texas in two weeks.

1. Steel Vengeance
2. Lightning Rod
3. Skyrush
4. Wicked Cyclone
5. Outlaw Run
6. Twisted Cyclone
7. Storm Chaser
8. Goliath
9. Fury 325
10. Hades 360
11. The Voyage
12. Cheetah Hunt