What's new

Top 10(ish): 2020 Edition - page 96

HeartlineCoaster

Coaster Count ran a poll to find out users' favourite rides: https://coaster-count.com/page/poll
Pretty fair and reasonable results in my opinion.
It appears that way on the surface, but then you dig a little deeper and find that Wicker Man is better than RMC Goliath.

The voting system was really clunky for this one and I got fed up with it after doing just 10. There was no obligation to give as much data as possible and that's always pretty harmful in these things.

It's interesting to see a subtle European skew on the results vs the usual American skew though and yes, the stat breakdowns are a very nice touch.

Is Shambhala really the best B&M hyper?
Nah.

HeartlineCoaster

Single best ride I've had on one is backwards on Hollywood Dream. It's a largely incomparable experience though. I'm not really a fan of the ride type, so anything that breaks that mould is an easy winner for me.
I've preferred every one I've done with the straight rows over the stadium seating because the trains feel less sluggish and are able to have the odd punchy moment which is otherwise entirely lacking.

From its popularity Shambhala may well be the best at 'doing what B&M hypers do', but I don't find that an impressive feat.

Plenty of reading material here:

Also there will be folk like me, both in Europe and the US who have not been lucky enough to travel intercontinentally for coasters yet... Shambhala is the best in Europe, so wins my bias, the same will happen in the US with some folk.

JoshC.

It appears that way on the surface, but then you dig a little deeper and find that Wicker Man is better than RMC Goliath.

The voting system was really clunky for this one and I got fed up with it after doing just 10. There was no obligation to give as much data as possible and that's always pretty harmful in these things.

It's interesting to see a subtle European skew on the results vs the usual American skew though and yes, the stat breakdowns are a very nice touch.
I must confess that after posting and going through it in more detail, I found myself more and more surprised. You could definitely see where ridership bias and the like came into effect after the Top 12 or so, and in more local cases, even after the Top 5.

Roundabout

New poster here -- I just got back from a trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain, and I'm totally stoked on coasters now. My total coaster count is still only about 48...pretty low... but trying to get it higher soon. I've ridden some good ones.....Here's my top 10 list so far....it may need some adjusting later this year if I get to ride Iron Gwazi, and some others on my bucket list!

1. Twisted Colossus -- SFMM. Even when it doesn't race, it's great. When it does race, it's truly spectacular. I love its history --"National Lampoon's Vacation"
2. Tatsu - SFMM. I'm surprised I don't see this one in more top 25 lists....
3. Montu - Busch Gardens Tampa
4. Iron Rattler - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
5. New Texas Giant - Six Flags Over Texas
6. Superman Krypton Coaster - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
7. Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa\
8. Incredible Hulk - Universal Islands of Adventure
9. SheiKra - Busch Gardens Tampa
10. Expedition Everest - Disney Animal Kingdom

This year I plan to go back to Orlando, this time to Seaworld, to ride Mako, Manta, Kraken and the new Ice Breaker. I'm looking forward to seeing how Manta compares to Tatsu......And also I'm heading back to Busch Gardens Tampa for the new Iron Gwazi. And hopefully back to Universal IOA to ride Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure.....And maybe Orlando's Fun Spot to ride the wooden roller coaster there.,

JRC

I haven"t been to that many parks and I'm scared of some rides but this is my top 5
5: shock wave [sfot]
4: space mountain disney orlando
3: cheetah hunt [BGTF]
2: New Texas Giant [SFOT]
1: Iron Rattler [SFFT]
In 2021 I'm going too ceadar point for the first time and one other park that I don't Know

Rush

Here's a list of ten coasters which I really like, in an order where I thought about it for a couple of seconds and decided 'that'll do'.

There's a huge recency bias in my list. The first five I've ridden in the last 2 years or so but the rest of the coasters on here I haven't been on for 10+ years so if I was to do this again it would probably look completely different.

1. Taron - Phantasialand
Stunning attraction - I think it has everything you could ask for in a rollercoaster in the right amounts: sense of speed, airtime, intensity, theming, comfort. Its integration into Klugheim and the immersiveness around the attraction is world class. The soundtrack still gives me goosebumps Gets even more bonus points for re-sparking my interest in coasters.

2. Helix - Liseberg
Another outstanding, all-rounder coaster. Love how the layout uses the landscape and seems to pick up speed as it goes along. Managed to get a front-row night ride which was simply incredible. The airtime hill in the second half overlooking the entire park is one of my favourite single moments on a coaster.

3. Goliath - Six Flags Great America
4. Wildfire - Kolmarden

If had a gun to my head, I would put Goliath a little bit higher. It's much shorter but every single element delivers - the upside-down airtime hill (not sure what it's called) is one of the most WTF experiences put on a rollercoaster. You pretty much get the same amazing experience on Wildfire but I felt it fades out a bit at the end. I was left with a beaming grin on the brakes of Wildfire whereas Goliath felt like I'd had an adrenaline shot to the dick. Both are amazing rides though and I'm looking forward to sampling the rest of RMC's repertoire.

5. Oblivion - Alton Towers
Yep, I'll probably continue to find any excuse to keep it in my top coasters list. but it's a one-trick pony - still one of the best executed tricks out there.

6. Balder - Liseberg
A really nice surprise. I was expecting a fairly 'paint-by numbers' experience and had never heard glowing reviews of this ride. Yes the airtime is where I expected to be but I didn't expect it to be as powerful as it was. If a coaster is going to say to me "look, I'm going to try and launch you to Norway here, here, her and these other places", I'm pretty cool with that. I thought the turns in between were pretty intense as well, maybe it was running a bit faster when I rode it?

Ditching the numbers now as these could probably go in any order.

Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa: A classic probably still the most intense B&M out there.
Wild Mouse (RIP) - Blackpool: bonkers little death-trap. Really sad I won't be able to try it out again.
Alpengeist - Busch Gardens Williamsburg: love how colossal the scale of this Invert is. I recall the cobra roll being particularly insane.
Space Mountain - Disneyland: was quite a bit younger when I rode this but I still think of it very fondly; vividly recall that it just felt like it kept going faster and faster. Will probably be less impressed if I was to re-ride.

Coaster Fellow

Hey guys, new poster!
Thought that as the closed season has been indefinitely extended, that I would make an effort this year to get more involved in the community and this forum. My coaster count currently stands at 87 and my top 10 is currently:
1. Oziris- Parc Asterix
Absolutely Fab invert and the first coaster that cemented my enthusiasm
2. Taron- Phantasialand
Amazing launches and theming. Rode 20 times back to back on ert and left me poorly for the rest of the day. Worth it.
3. Oblivion the Black Hole- Gardaland
Nothing is better than not being stapled on a b&m dive coaster. Lovely transitions and cool theming.
4. Red Force- Ferrari Land
The launch is cool but the height makes this.
5. Shambhala- Port Aventura
It's good
6. Olympia Looping
Love love love this ride
7. California Screamin- Disneys California Adventure
Incredicoaster? I don't know her
8. Stealth- Thorpe Park
Fab Launch
9. Raptor- Gardaland
The first drop is great and it tops the likes of the swarm for me.
10. Black Mamba- Phantasialand
Excellent invert with excellent theming. Was staying at the Hotel Matamba with views of the coaster making it all the more cool

Over the course of quarantine, I found it to be a good time to revise my rankings so I now have all 206 coaters I've ridden ranked. My top 10 goes as follows

10. Millennium Force- I just had loads of fun on this my last visit. Amazing first drop, whippy banked turns, solid airtime, unparalleled speed, what an experience.
9. Nemesis- My favorite B&M, and Inverts are my favorite coaster type. Incredible location/theming, and the rest of the inversions are ridiculously intense. Still can't believe it's this good after 25 years.
8. X2- Only rode this once but no steel coaster has blown me away more. The first drop took my breath away and I was just stuck in coaster bliss until the final raven turn.
7. Storm Chaser- Rode in 2017 when it was running at its best, some of the greatest ejector airtime on any RMC. Very re-rideable too.
6. Outlaw Run- Finally got around to it last June and it also blew me away. Pretty much flawless ride in my mind, with incredible airtime, banked turns and speed. Plus the first drop is the best on any RMC I've done.
5. Coaster at PNE- An odd choice but everyone should have this on your bucket list. You physically can't put your hands up on this because the airtime would probably kill you. Got some great laterals as well.
4. Steel Vengeance- Loved this a lot but only rode it twice and the second half is quite repetitive. I'm quality > quantity, but there's still a reason it's this high.
3. Voyage- Wooden coaster airtime record, insane pacing and laterals, lots of tunnels, the second half is full forced airtime all the way back, all around just a ridiculously good woodie. Still fresh in my mind even though it's been a few years.
2. Lightning Rod- Rode without the trims and the airtime can't be matched by many others. Pure insanity from start to finish.
1. Expedition GeForce- The perfect amount of everything. World class ejector, speed, whippy turns, and the best first drop I've ever experienced.

If COVID didn't happen, I would've gotten to Toro, Skyrush and Phoenix this year. Looks like they'll have to wait until 2021.

JrPrincePhillip

Here’s my Frenchie Top10 :

1. Untamed, Walibi Holland, Biddinghuizen, The NetherlandsI was the first surprised he beats the two other RMC I’ve ridden cos at first the location isn’t special. It is shorter than TC and SV but every single moment of the ride is awesome, there’s Great Ejector, it’s twisty and snappy !
2. Helix, Liseberg, Göteborg, SwedenI was quite surprised also cos my favorite Coasters are generally very intense but Helix is the exception ! This a real masterpiece, re-ridable, lovely elements, crazy Pretzel Loop and ZGR, confort, IMASCORE, this is what Blue Fire should have been... I can’t even say the weak lunches are flaws cos it really works with this ride.
3. X2, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia, California Is everybody in ? The ceremony is about again. I’ll never understand the hatred about this fantastic 4D, in terms of pure layout and sensations, X2 is my really favorite ! However it’s so intense that u can’t really do chain-ridding !
4. Taron, Phantasialand, Brühl, GermanyThe Game of Thrones Coaster is the proof that scenery and music are so important on a roller-coaster. The layout is fine but I’m sure it wouldn’t be that high without its atmosphere !
5. Twisted Colossus, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Valencia, California SFMM has really the best Top2 of all the parks I’ve done, having to chose the duelling bois or X2 was one of the hardest thing in my life. Also the High Five is memorable.
6. Maverick, Cedar Point, Sandusky, OhioThe real star of the overrated Cedar Point (lmao), sorry Milli and Steve but my heart goes for the Wildest Ride of Ohio...
7. Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio I’m sorry for its fans but do u really think that it is the Best Roller Coaster of the World ? I’ve ridden it twice the opening Weekend (when it broke) and it’s obviously an awesome ride, long, great elements... BUT I’M SORRY... BUT the ejectors have nothing to deal with Untamed’s or TC’s ones... The First Drop isn’t that excellent...
8. Shambhala, Port Aventura, Vila Seca, Spain I haven’t ridden Fury325 but Shambhala is maybe the 2nd Best B&M in the world... The view from the lift hill (on the Mediterranean Sea) is stunning, the First Drop seams like Sheikra’s one, The Esperluette is awesome, the Bunny Hop provides the only B&M real Ejector I’ve experienced... BUT sorry for B&M fans but B&M doesn’t deal with RMC, Mack Rides, Intamin and S&S anymore, their rides are just too tame and boring for most of all... Despite of Shambhala’s huge good sides, we still looking for significant airtimes on the other hills.
9. Kumba, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Tampa, FloridaKumba is the masterpiece showing B&M took the wrong way... Fortunateky old-school B&M keep slaying for 20 years now and still crush the newbies (except Shamby and doubtless Fury325).
10. Magnum XL-200, Cedar Point, Sandusky, Ohio Arrow 20 years ago really built masterpieces... Obviously it’s not as comfortable than newer Hypers, the design isn’t really good but the final Bunny Hop series just make Magnum XL-200 a little bomb !

Honourable Mentions in the right order: Expedition Ge Force (quite overrated imo though), Top Thrill Dragster, iSpeed, Katun, Montu, Goliath @Walibi Holland, Formula Rossa, Xcelerator, Millenium Force, Balder, Troy, Furius Baco, Flying Aces and Mako. xx