What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I will seriously never understand the love for Thunderhead! I always want to like it, but every time I ride it I just get off feeling so underwhelmed, even going back to when my coaster count was way less.

Try and ride it at night some time, that’s when it really comes alive! (Though admittedly I was fan during the day too).

Done all the major new coasters on my America trip now (just Lake Winnie is left) so I can finally post some updated rankings:

1. Intimidator 305, Kings Dominion
2. X2, Six Flags Magic Mountain
3. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
4. Twisted Timbers, Kings Dominion
5. Phoenix, Knoebels
6. El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
7. Schwur des Kärnan, Hansa Park
8. Shambhala, PortAventura Park
9. Maverick, Cedar Point
10. Black Mamba, Phantasialand

11. Wildfire, Kolmården
12. Behemoth, Canada’s Wonderland
13. Iron Rattler, Six Flags Fiesta Texas
14. Katun, Mirabilandia
15. Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City
16. Twisted Cyclone, Six Flags Over Georgia
17. Goliath, Walibi Holland
18. Wicked Cyclone, Six Flags New England
19. Piraten, Djurs Sommerland
20. Fury 325, Carowinds
21. Leviathan, Canada’s Wonderland
22. Goliath, Six Flags Great America
23. Tatsu, Six Flags Magic Mountain
24. Monster, Parc Walygator
25. Junker, Power Park
26. Nemesis, Alton Towers
27. Goliath, Six Flags Over Georgia
28. Helix, Liseberg
29. The Joker, Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
30. Roar-O-Saurus, Story Land
31. Mako, SeaWorld Orlando
32. Taron, Phantasialand
33. Millennium Force, Cedar Point
34. Lightning Rod, Dollywood
35. Talon, Dorney Park
36. Troy, Toverland
37. Twisted Colossus, Six Flags Magic Mountain
38. Silver Star, Europa Park
39. New Texas Giant, Six Flags Over Texas
40. iSpeed, Mirabilandia

Please don’t shoot me for #34... ;) I’ll try and provide a bit of explanation when I update my RMC rankings, but don’t want to spoil too much for the trip report hah.

Last edited:

Hutch

Strata Poster
34. Lightning Rod, Dollywood
giphy.gif

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
9. Lightning Rod - Sorry people! I can’t quite join the LR hype train and no one is more disappointed than me :( It’s a very good coaster that looks spectacular and uses the terrain very well, but it’s not quite the extreme, euphoric experience I was led to believe. Firstly trimming the launch? Urgh, it’s a cool element but it’s basically a gimmick now rather than an effective part of the coaster. The quad-down is certainly excellent but the rest of the ride failed to make a big impression and by the time you reach the bottom of the mountain it’s like “oh, it’s already gonna be over soon, I want more?” Basically, it just left a little to be desired imo. It speeds through the elements like mad mostly but I never felt it was *that* extreme. It’s very exciting but I expected it to have a more passionate delivery of elements. Oh well.

Best explanation I can give for Lightning Rod right now.

:emoji_zipper_mouth: where is it?! I don't see it.

Not in the top 40. Any further information should not become public knowledge ;)

Nemesis and Mako are also way too low. And I305 as your #1? I haven't done it but still.

Nemesis and Mako are both fantastic coasters! I don’t think they’re too low. In fact, I think I rate them both fairly similarly to you, if you take into account rankings proportional to overall count.

And hah, I305 has been my favourite coaster since 2014 so this visit just reinforced it. There’s nothing that pushes me to my limit (and probably slightly beyond) quite like I305. It’s in its own world of intensity; it’s ****ing ridiculous but so amazing <3. It stands out massively to me. Go ride it! And while you’re there ride the best RMC ;)

You definitely have some explaining to do my friend.

If only I had chosen a number one from either Taron, Skyrush, Lightning Rod or Steel Vengeance, then I’d never have to explain anything :p

Hutch

Strata Poster
Nemesis and Mako are both fantastic coasters! I don’t think they’re too low. In fact, I think I rate them both fairly similarly to you, if you take into account rankings proportional to overall count.
That's fair, and sometimes I forget you've done 700+ creds. I'm really just poking fun at your list though, it is impressive. :p Mako and Nemesis are easily my favorite B&Ms <3

It is cool to see Twisted Timbers rated so highly though, always thought that looked like one of the better iron horses.

Snoo

The Legend
And hah, I305 has been my favourite coaster since 2014 so this visit just reinforced it. There’s nothing that pushes me to my limit (and probably slightly beyond) quite like I305. It’s in its own world of intensity; it’s :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing ridiculous but so amazing <3. It stands out massively to me. Go ride it! And while you’re there ride the best RMC ;)

Your slight of Lightning Rod is the exact reasoning why 305 is lackluster. You see the potential but it fails in every other aspect.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
^I can see your point definitely; analytically speaking, I305 is far from perfect. I guess just based on reasoning, I may seem hypocritical, but I think the difference is I just a feel a lot more for I305 than Lightning Rod? Regardless of faults, I’m simply just more impressed by I305, though I also can understand why someone may think it is wasted potential.

Snoo

The Legend
^I can see your point definitely; analytically speaking, I305 is far from perfect. I guess just based on reasoning, I may seem hypocritical, but I think the difference is I just a feel a lot more for I305 than Lightning Rod? Regardless of faults, I’m simply just more impressed by I305, though I also can understand why someone may think it is wasted potential.

The trims are what kill it. I've ridden all iterations besides trimless (trim on drop and on airtime hill). While it is intense as hell, I don't grey/black out like some. I actually never have but I still feel it. No matter what, for most rides, if it's trimmed.. it just kills what COULD be. Raging Bull is a great example as that ride can be insanity should it be untrimmed but it's not so it suffers even more. Same with 305 IMO as you can SEE how much better it COULD be (and testimony from before trims attest to that) but it just falls short on the 2nd half.

Plus, I'm huge on airtime. While twists and turns are nice, especially if done right, can be great.. I need more sustenance.

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
Update after my brief foray into Europe. I might set a few people off.

1. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park
2. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
3. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
4. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
5. Voyage - Holiday World
6. Maverick - Cedar Point
7. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain
8. Nemesis - Alton Towers
9. Millennium Force - Cedar Point
10. X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

11. Goliath - Six Flags Great America
12. Magnum XL-200 - Cedar Point
13. Cornball Express - Indiana Beach
14. Thunderhead - Dollywood
15. Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast - Six Flags St. Louis
16. Raptor - Cedar Point
17. Screamin' Eagle - Six Flags St. Louis
18. Tatsu - Six Flags Magic Mountain
19. Smiler - Alton Towers
20. Tennessee Tornado - Dollywood

Expedition GeForce... holy balls... this ride is perfect. Words cannot describe the Intamin godliness of the first drop, balls-to-the-walls airtime, and pure fun of this machine. It ticks off every box for me, and whether it was the first or eight time I rode it, I was blown away by just how good it was. Plus, the restraints are a big factor in why it's ahead of Lightning Rod. Lightning Rod is absolutely more of an airtime machine, but because of how exposing the Intamin T-bars are, I felt the airtime way more. The mental first drop, third hill, and last four bunny hops :eek::eek: It'll be hard for any coaster to top this one for me.

Nemesis is by far the best B&M coaster I've ridden, and maybe the best B&M coaster in the world. The location, layout, inversion snap, consistent forces everywhere, (especially that first friggin' helix that makes me grey out every time) operations, theming, the entire thing just blew me away. This is what every other B&M Invert aspires to be. Katun, Pyrenees, and Montu will give it competition when I get around to those, but man, Nemesis was just sooo good. This and GeForce get some of the most praise of any coaster in the world, and I don't think either are overrated at all.

The last addition to my Top 20 was actually the Smiler. I was sorted to the back row for my ride, so I was expecting it to be pretty rough, but it was fab! I was laughing through every inversion, (my favorites were the second, twelfth, and thirteenth) and while it was starting to show its age, the whole ride is just so well-themed, fun, and endearing. Those two airtime hills also gave me a pretty good lift :)

Snoo

The Legend
Update after my brief foray into Europe. I might set a few people off.

1. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park
2. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
3. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
4. Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
5. Voyage - Holiday World
6. Maverick - Cedar Point
7. Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain
8. Nemesis - Alton Towers
9. Millennium Force - Cedar Point
10. X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain

11. Goliath - Six Flags Great America
12. Magnum XL-200 - Cedar Point
13. Cornball Express - Indiana Beach
14. Thunderhead - Dollywood
15. Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast - Six Flags St. Louis
16. Raptor - Cedar Point
17. Screamin' Eagle - Six Flags St. Louis
18. Tatsu - Six Flags Magic Mountain
19. Smiler - Alton Towers
20. Tennessee Tornado - Dollywood

Expedition GeForce... holy balls... this ride is perfect. Words cannot describe the Intamin godliness of the first drop, balls-to-the-walls airtime, and pure fun of this machine. It ticks off every box for me, and whether it was the first or eight time I rode it, I was blown away by just how good it was. Plus, the restraints are a big factor in why it's ahead of Lightning Rod. Lightning Rod is absolutely more of an airtime machine, but because of how exposing the Intamin T-bars are, I felt the airtime way more. The mental first drop, third hill, and last four bunny hops :eek::eek: It'll be hard for any coaster to top this one for me.

Nemesis is by far the best B&M coaster I've ridden, and maybe the best B&M coaster in the world. The location, layout, inversion snap, consistent forces everywhere, (especially that first friggin' helix that makes me grey out every time) operations, theming, the entire thing just blew me away. This is what every other B&M Invert aspires to be. Katun, Pyrenees, and Montu will give it competition when I get around to those, but man, Nemesis was just sooo good. This and GeForce get some of the most praise of any coaster in the world, and I don't think either are overrated at all.

The last addition to my Top 20 was actually the Smiler. I was sorted to the back row for my ride, so I was expecting it to be pretty rough, but it was fab! I was laughing through every inversion, (my favorites were the second, twelfth, and thirteenth) and while it was starting to show its age, the whole ride is just so well-themed, fun, and endearing. Those two airtime hills also gave me a pretty good lift :)

I've actually seen a resurgence as of late for this ride. You're not the only one. I personally thought EGF died years ago but some people seem to like it. Maybe the trims have changed?

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I've actually seen a resurgence as of late for this ride. You're not the only one. I personally thought EGF died years ago but some people seem to like it. Maybe the trims have changed?

I’ve ridden EGF on four separate visits since 2011. I think the trims grabbed a bit on one visit, but they were hardly fatal. It’s always been a fantastic coaster for me; the best in Europe, personally, and the best airtime machine. Its popularity has dropped by the wayside a bit I think since new additions like Taron, Helix etc. so it’s nice to see more fans @Imagineer Josh! Not sure I can think of a reason why there might have been a resurgence of popularity for it, but I’m happy there is! It’ll always have a special place in my heart; it’s been in my top 5 coasters for 7 years now.

Pear

Strata Poster
EGF is fantastic but it's not as good as everyone makes it out to be (specifically TPR). There are much better rides in the world nowadays.

Personally I found Skyrush to be much better than EGF.

Lucy

Hyper Poster
Personally, I would love to rate Skyrush somewhere but to be honest I'm not sure where to put it because although it's a good coaster, the restraints spoil it as they dig into your thighs and also the left outside wing seats give a rough ride.

I haven't quite worked out my top 10 but the first five would be:

1. Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point - the craziest airtime I've ever experienced on a coaster and a truly incredible coaster.
2. Twisted Timbers - Kings Dominion
3. Fury 325 - Carowinds
4. Voyage - Holiday World
5. Phoenix - Knoebels

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Personally, I would love to rate Skyrush somewhere but to be honest I'm not sure where to put it because although it's a good coaster, the restraints spoil it as they dig into your thighs and also the left outside wing seats give a rough ride.

Yeah, this is how I feel too, pretty much exactly. I rode it a lot and wanted to think more of it but its faults were just too burdensome (the very tight restraints, the rattly rides on the wing etc.). I guess I didn’t find it crazy extreme enough to be able to ignore those problems.

Also, yay for Twisted Timbers and Phoenix love <3

Pear

Strata Poster
I didn't mind the restraints or the roughness at all. I will agree that the restraints and smoothness aren't the best but I look past it for the insane airtime and great laterals.

I much prefer Skyrush's restraints to those on Premier trains though.

kenny cook

Mega Poster
#1- gold striker
#2- twisted colossus
#3- tatsu
#4- X2
#5- full throttle
#6- electric eel
#7- hangtime
#8- sidewinder (elitch gardens)
#9- giant dipper (belmont)
#10- manta (seaworld san diego)