What's new

Top 10: 2009 Edition

Ben

CF Legend
It's ColossUs and ColossOs! They're spelt differently. Look at how Tom's is spelt to see which one he means.

And you've spelt it wrong in your signature as well.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
East Coast(er) General said:
Tomatron said:
Rumbler is criminal.
Fixed.
I don't know about you Tom. :? Your Top 10 is just... pathetic. :roll:
How can you rate such a meh coaster as Rumbler anywhere near your Top 10, much less #8? I don't care how underrated you feel it is. And haven't you ridden El Toro at Plohn, which is everything Rumbler should be?
Piraten is good, but not that good. Same goes for Kumba.

El Toro at Plohn was a great ride. I certainly don't recall saying it's what Kentucky Rumbler should have been, because it isn't. Rumbler is the best out of all the GCIs I've done because it has a bit of everything and it was lot of fun.

I rode Piraten the first year it opened. It wasn't quite as good this year, but I still rate it very highly. Kumba is awesome. Non-stop intensity from lift hill to brake run. Better than Khan and Hulk in my eyes.

I don't understand why people love Beast so much. It's trimmed to hell, unconfortably rough, has no airtime, and it's terrain section has nothing on, say the Ultimate. But I don't hold it against them. They're just rollercoasters for crying out loud.

So that's my opinion. Don't bother trying to change it.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Tomatron said:
El Toro at Plohn was a great ride. I certainly don't recall saying it's what Kentucky Rumbler should have been, because it isn't.
Never implied that you said it was. I say it is & it's everything Terminator:Salvation & Evel Knievel should be as well. :wink:
Tomatron said:
Kumba is awesome. Non-stop intensity from lift hill to brake run. Better than Khan and Hulk in my eyes.
True on all counts, but I still don't rank it that high.
Tomatron said:
So that's my opinion. Don't bother trying to change it.
Wouldn't dream of it. I just don't agree, but then you also like Falcon. :roll:

You got the Beast in yours and that's a terrible ride.

Rumbler is criminally underrated.

Haha, Beast is NOT a great ride by any means.. It was the experiuence that was great. It goes through a few corners, does a few nifty things, no airtime or anything, but the fog and mist in the forest of the night ride was probably one of the most epic coaster experiences I've had.

As for Rumbler.. Well, you and Ian are silly for liking it so much! It was just a bunch of turns, at least that's what I thought anyway. Turns with maybe a WEAK pop of airtime here and there. It did have a great drop though, I'll give it that.

Evel Knievel was far better though, and if Toro at Plohn is suppose to be better than Knievel.. Well, I think our opinions of GCIs are farrr different!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I do wonder if it's another case of "something different". I did notice that there are some fundamental taste differences between us in the UK and our colonial brethren.

I don't know what it is, if it's because (contrary to how much in the coaster dark ages you think we are :p ) we actually do have some good coasters in the UK (and we've been riding them all our lives)? Or if it's just because we have certain coaster types built over her?

I did notice though, that I enjoyed rides more than Jerry (and other Americans) simply because they "did something different". I loved Twister at Knoebels for example. It's a woody with pretty much zero airtime, but it was just something I'd never had on a woody before. It was so fast, twisting and fun. It was a coaster experience I'd never really had before (well maybe Wildcat at Hershey, which I also thought was good).

Don't get me wrong, they don't rate massively highly in my wooden coaster poll, because I didn't think they were that good - but if Rumbler is pretty much the same only more, then it would probably have really hit my list highly.

I'm not saying this is universal - I'm sure Ben will disagree :lol: However, it's just how it seems to be to me, and those perhaps in my (rough) pier group. Both Tom and Ian being roughly in the same coaster generation as me.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Uh, no. I know you have some good coasters on those lovely shores of yours, even if you do live in the dark ages. :p

I also understand why you like coasters that do something different than what you're used to, even if we don't rank them as high (since what's different for you isn't so different for us). I rank both Twister & Wildcat above Rumbler, but then I also think Gwazi, Legend, GhostRider, Boss, Robin Hood & even Wild Beast are better than Rumbler.

I love woodies! Hell, I rode Rumbler about a half dozen times more than Taylor, Snoo & the kid. Yes, I rode it over & over again all by my lonesome even though it's not that good. That's how much I love woodies.

The reason I like all those woodies that others love to hate is because they all offer something unique, which Rumbler doesn't quite match. There are similar coasters to Rumbler out there that offer the same & then some: Terminator & Evel Knievel. Then there are those that simply blow it away: Plohn's El Toro & (probably) Prowler. However there are also similar coasters that are about the same as Rumbler (i.e. Mammut), & far worse (i.e Falken).

So I guess I come from a different coaster generation than all of you (since I actually am from a different generation). I don't mind a little pain if the coaster offers the right experience, but I won't put up with too much pain either no matter what the ride offers otherwise (i.e. Son of Beast, Predator or SFNE's Cyclone). Rumbler isn't painful by any stretch of the imagination, but there just isn't as much to it as other similar coasters. It ranks at #39 in my woodie list, which isn't bad considering I've ridden 77 wooden coasters.

Ben

CF Legend
but then I also think Gwazi... GhostRider... Wild Beast are better than Rumbler.

There. Just there.

You might as well have typed "disregard the rest of this post, for I am mad".

nadroJ

CF Legend
Ok, for once I've actually put together a top ten, now I can enjoy rearragning it and such with the rest of you throughout the year:

#1 - Dragon Khan, Port Aventura.
I'm a big B&M fan-girl (almost as much as I am for Intamin <3) And when I rode this last year it took my breath away. So intense and forceful, it was absolutely relentless. And then I ride it in the dark.

#2 - Nemesis, Alton Towers.
I do think this is a bit of pride in all things British thing, but I really really rate this coaster. It still amazes me how it gathers such speed and force from a frankly non-existant first drop and then continues packing a punch right on through til the break run. Awesome.

#3 - Colossos, Heide Park.
I would like to ride this sober at some point but any coaster than can scare me on a lift-hill deserves top tenness in my opinion. My bum wasn't in the seat the whole way down the first drop and it continues to deliver pops of airtime throughout. Best woodie I've been on <3

#4 - Piraten, Djurs Sommerland.
The ERT session really reinforced my love of this coaster. The insane intensity on the first corner, the pops of airtime, the shed-tunnel, the snake-like direction changes and obviously not forgetting the boob-time tastic bunny hills at the end. Oh, and it didn't let up, it was always fast and never failed to deliver a forceful run.

#5- Troy, Toverland.
Second wood in my top ten. This ride, doesn't really do airtime, it's not very high or forceful but my god is it fast. And fun! It's just a stupidly enjoyable coaster and if the weather had been a bit nicer I'm sure I could've spent all day on the thing. Also, station fly-bys ftw!

#6 - Goliath, Walibi World.
This took a lot of consideration of where to place this one in my list. Don't get me wrong it is one heck of a ride, but I rode it twice only, and the first time it was a bit 'meh'. I rode it at night also after it had warmed up lots and also in the back row and yes it was breathtaking, my bum was hardly ever in the seat and also special mentions to the last turn <3 But, for me, a coaster that doesn't make me go 'WOW!' the first time I ride it can't be in my top 5.

#7 - Kumba, Busch Gardens Africa.
Again, more B&M fangirlishness. It's not as highly rated for me as Dragon Khan but this may have a lot to do with age etc. It isn't highly re-ridable and does have the tendency to induce nausea. The thing I LOVE about the coaster is the Zero-G <3 Gets me every time, it's fab.

#8 - Stealth, Thorpe Park.
Oh Noes! A Thorpe ride in someone's top ten?! Scandalous! I will never stop loving this ride and nobody can change my opinion on it. The launch gets me every time, it just feels so fast and forceful, even iof it isn't the fastness and most forceful ride I have been on. Yes, it is a one-trick pony but it is the only coaster I can remember getting off of with such a rush of adrenaline and wanting to get straight back on. It does exactly what it says on the tin and it does it well.

#9 - Oblivion, Alton Towers.
Again, one of the rare coasters that still manages to scare me. Like Stealth, Oblivion is a one-trick pony that really excels at it's one trick. It's an absolute beast. I've been on SheiKra yes, but the drop on that has NOTHING on Oblivions, therefore, Oblivion makes the top ten.

#10 - Anubis, Plopsaland.
I like the fact that this coaster still remains in my top ten because to look at, it's nothing special. It could even be argued to be a kiddie coaster of some sort, but trust me, if you haven't been on the thing you cannot pass judgement. Not only is the rolling launch WIN, the tophat has so much airtime you feel like the train is going to fly off the track, and the rest of the layout doesn't disappoint. It's super fun, extremely re-ridable and belongs up here in my top ten with the best of them.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
1) Nemesis
Simply love it like everyone else, and just sooo awesome!

2) Furuis Baco
Yes I like it, so ****ing what?

3) Colossos @ Heide
Just simply amazing woodie!

4) EGF

5) Black Mamba

6) Balder
Just amazing bothe back and front!

7) Superman (Parque Warner)
Just simply awesome, air time in the right places, the g-force perfect!

8) Half Pipe @ Sarkanniemi
May look pants but it is simply awesome with airtime both ends of the spike!

9) Anubis
As a lot of people have said, its just simply awesome. The lateral airtime is a winner!

10) Loup Garou/Werewolf
Vekoma woodie goodness. Fast fun and fairly rough!

Other notable mentions are the Schawz Looper in Ireland, Piraten, Rage (Yes fanboy here) and Fluch

Snoo

The Legend
Tom said:
I don't understand why people love Beast so much. It's trimmed to hell, unconfortably rough, has no airtime, and it's terrain section has nothing on, say the Ultimate. But I don't hold it against them. They're just rollercoasters for crying out loud.

As Taylor pointed out, the night ride is just amazing. Most agree that the day ride is just horrifically disappointing and painful, but rolling that bad boy out at night makes it worth it. I assume you never were able to get on it after dusk?

furie said:
I did notice though, that I enjoyed rides more than Jerry (and other Americans) simply because they "did something different". I loved Twister at Knoebels for example. It's a woody with pretty much zero airtime, but it was just something I'd never had on a woody before. It was so fast, twisting and fun. It was a coaster experience I'd never really had before (well maybe Wildcat at Hershey, which I also thought was good).

I wouldn't say it is 'something different' per say.. I'd say it's because of the quality of rides/number of rides we've been on in comparison. Both sides of the pond suffer this, as they've been on more and more similar rides and the ones which don't fit in that similarity either blow your mind or suck a big one. Boulder Dash is a good example for myself. BD was freaking crazy amazing because of the footprint, the feel, the lack of roughness, and the pure insane airtime. Meanwhile Rumbler was just another boy in the crowd, that didn't impress by any means.

Btw.. I agree about Twister. I enjoyed it quite a bit.. almost as much as Phoenix.. which is surprising because I'm all about airtime.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
but then I also think Gwazi, Legend, GhostRider, Boss, Robin Hood & even Wild Beast are better than Rumbler.

With the exception of Boss which I've not done, those other woodies are all pretty average/poor.

I like Falken because it doesn't try to rip your from your seat with massive G-forces, it's a fun wooden coaster that suits the audience of the park.

SnooSnoo said:
Tom said:

As Taylor pointed out, the night ride is just amazing. Most agree that the day ride is just horrifically disappointing and painful, but rolling that bad boy out at night makes it worth it. I assume you never were able to get on it after dusk?

Nope. When Ian and I rode it, the sun didn't go down before the park closed. :lol:

I'd definetly go back and give it another go, as I would with Voyage, which I don't rate very highly either. Hopefully the Timberliner trains will sort out the issues that the heavy PTCs have been causing.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
From my 2008 ballot:
1. Millennium Force Cedar Point
2. Dragon Khan Port Aventura
3. Superman - Ride of St SF New England
4. Venus Space World
5. Eejanaika Fujikyu HighLands
6. Kumba Busch Gardens Africa
7. Nemesis Alton Towers
8. Goliath Walibi World
9. Ride of Steel Darien Lake
10. Pyrenees Parque Espana

From my 2009 ballot:
1. Millennium Force Cedar Point
2. Dragon Khan Port Aventura
3. Venus Space World
4. Eejanaika Fujikyu HighLands
5. Kumba Busch Gardens Africa
6. Nemesis Alton Towers
7. Diamondback Kings Island
8. Bizarro SF New England
9. Goliath Walibi World
10. X2 Six Flags Magic Mountain

My top 10-50 had HUGE shifts this year. 16 new for me B&M's will do that.
:--D

Don't get me wrong, they don't rate massively highly in my wooden coaster poll, because I didn't think they were that good - but if Rumbler is pretty much the same only more, then it would probably have really hit my list highly.

Rumbler isn't bad or anything, and I'm like you, I enjoy a ride that does something interesting and different, whilst not always conforming to the "perfect coaster" rules if you get what I mean. It's why I rate Beast and Mr. Freeze pretty high (okay Mr Freeze isn't that different but it's pretty cool). I just had such high expectations for Rumbler and it just didn't.. Live up, whatsoever. It's still fun though, and it's a pretty smooth ride and has a good rerideability factor.

To be fair, I even liked it during the day. It was just different, and had so much character, and I loved the way it went through the woods. But the night ride absolutely blew me away. It'd be in my top five if the day rides were as good as the night rides.

but then I also think Gwazi, Legend, GhostRider, Boss, Robin Hood & even Wild Beast are better than Rumbler.

Boss was just hilarious.. It was so funny in the front, but so hilariously horrible anywhere else. Wild Beast is just a disgrace to the coaster community no matter where you sit :p .

[qyote]Nope. When Ian and I rode it, the sun didn't go down before the park closed. [/quote]

I can see why you might not rate it so highly then. But really, if you're ever back in that area, please give it another go, only at night, because it's an experience I've never had on any other coaster. It's just so cool!

I'd definetly go back and give it another go, as I would with Voyage, which I don't rate very highly either. Hopefully the Timberliner trains will sort out the issues that the heavy PTCs have been causing.

Can't believe you don't rate Voyage that high either.. Nothing was even wrong with it. It jerks you around but the thing is freakin furious. It's not an unenjoyable type of rough, and it has amazing airtime and though it's not something I'd reride twenty times in a row, I loved it. It's everything a wooden coaster should be.