What's new

Top 10: 2009 Edition

Kebab

Giga Poster
I thought Khan was over-rated myself before I rode the beast! Then I rode it another 17 times in a row until I got bored.. And I couldn't get bored :eek: It's hardly gimmicky or unique, it's just the most enjoyable rollercoaster I have ever been on, and one of the only B&M's I can think of which packs enough of a punch to cause me a black-out :?

I just generally fell in love with it, and the park adds a lot too it, I think it looks absolutely stunning even from distances!

RIMG0057.jpg

One of my favourite pictures

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I'm kind of the opposite. I thought I'd love Khan, but I just found it to be kind of... boring. It didn't feel like it was doing anything.

The land it's on doesn't help. PA is amazing, except for the land DK sits on. Which is like, eugh. Just a barren dead spot.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
10 - Colorado Adventure
The ultimate family coaster - great fun, good theming and enough exceitement for everyone

9 - Saw
Admittedly the theming, particularly pre ride is crap, but I love the indoor bits, and the ride itself is very nicely done, if a little rough - and yes, I prefer it to fluch

8 - Ultimate
utterly unique - insane second section

7 - Troy
nice airtime, micer twists, enough thrills for everyone, yet not too intimidating for noobs

6 - Oblivion
One simple idea, executed very well

5 - Piraten
An exceptionally designed coaster - keeps it's intensity and airtime going for the whole ride - we need more mega lites

4 - Nemesis
Theming, intensity, layout - has everything a thrill coaster needs

3 - Black mamba
Just beats nemesis because:
a - smoother (understandable given the age), and more re-rideable
b - I love the ending

2- Superman / la Atraccion de Acero
I know a lot of people don't like this - but I loved the layout and thought it was a great fun ride

and

wiait for it...

nomber one is

COLOSSOS - heide park
Never had so much fun on a coaster - loaded with airtime and has great character

Snoo

The Legend
Rock said:
I am wondering what people think of Gemini at CP, Avalanche at KD, or any of the Backlot Stunt Coasters. I have been told that I rank them way heigher than most. I think that they are just a lot of fun and can be ridden over and over again with little pain.

Gemini is a unique ride, with decent pops of airtime (especially under the first drop) but nothing which really blows me away personally. The restraints are more painful then Maggy and if it is running one side, it loses most of the uniqueness. 7/10

Backlot at KI was massively meh. It has no airtime (my favorite thing about a coaster), the theming was bland, half not working, and wasn't even like the movie (I rode it as Italian Job and Backlot), and the only good section was when it was in the dark.. which you can get if you go over to Flight of Fear in much better fashion. I was quite surprised by your ranking of them also. 6/10

I am wondering what people think of Gemini at CP, Avalanche at KD, or any of the Backlot Stunt Coasters. I have been told that I rank them way heigher than most. I think that they are just a lot of fun and can be ridden over and over again with little pain.

I've been on Gemini and Backlot, and I have to say, Gemini can be pretty fun, except for the final helix which is usually killer on my back. But, it ranks in the better half of Cedar Point, in my opinion.

I loved the Backlots, Wonderland's the most. I thought they were just gonna be boring kiddie rides, but the launch was fun and the helix was pretty intense. I like the little indoor section, too!

So they're not top ten, or even really top thirty coasters for me, but they're both good fun.

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
Joey said:
I'm kind of the opposite. I thought I'd love Khan, but I just found it to be kind of... boring. It didn't feel like it was doing anything.

The land it's on doesn't help. PA is amazing, except for the land DK sits on. Which is like, eugh. Just a barren dead spot.

"You took the words right out of my mouth"

I thought it'd be epic. I love sit downs, it's a B&M, it looks cool, it seem to tick the boxes but after riding I was dissapointed. I thought it was a bit similar to Kraken in the sense that it has these massive inversions but takes them quite slowly and it just doesn't do anything for me. It's like it's built on roller coaster tycoon, just having inversion after inversion. I perfer the second half though, that's better. I also like the brake run going under the cobra roll, that was cool.

I have a top 10, but I don't agree with it. I find it so hard to list coasters, then after I ride one my views on it change and all that jazz. All I know is that I really like The Ultimate, that would be number 1 I'm sure. Other one's worth a mention.

Riddler's Revenge I loved it, nobody else seems to. It's a shame. The only stand up I've been on that I would do again.

Top Thrill Dragster The sheer fear and speed is insane. So's the height, but I didn't really take note of how high we went!

Xcelerator Very cool, owns Stealth and probably any other Intamin launch coaster I've been on. Dragster is much more powerful, but this is more fun, unique and exciting.

Saw: The Ride I like it, but to think about it I'm not sure it really should be in my top 10.

SheiKra I love Oblivion, and this was awesome too. My 100th coaster as well, nice bit of trivia there.

Kumba A coaster that I considered my number 1 after I first rode it, but since then it's never delivered my expectations.

Wild Mouse Similarly to Saw, I doubt this would make my actual top 10. I'm on about Blackpools. It used to be so good, now it's just not as insane.

Furius Baco A coaster that would be very high within my top 10 if I had ridden it just once. At the front it was epic, but our second ride at the back was appauling. So rough, but it was an epic first ride.

Nemesis Not entirely sure why. I just feel like it should be mentioned.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
bezzzzzer said:
Riddler's Revenge I loved it, nobody else seems to. It's a shame. The only stand up I've been on that I would do again.

Riddler's Revenge isn't different than any other stand up to me (Vortex CGA, Mantis, and Chang are the others I've ridden). Really, I don't see why people like it. It has a boring B&M layout, a lot of rattle, and it's just...uncomfortable. The only fun thing (imo) about the ride is the hang time.

I agree with Xcelerator being more fun/unique than TTD.

As for Gemini/Backlot...I love Gemini. Sitting in the back, you get a lot of airtime and the head-choppers are nice surprises. Backlot sucked, it was rough and much too compact for its speed.

Xcelerator Very cool, owns Stealth and probably any other Intamin launch coaster I've been on. Dragster is much more powerful, but this is more fun, unique and exciting.

How is it more unique? Because it has an overbank? Sorry, as much as I like launches, and as high as Dragster/Ka are in my top ten, I still would never, ever consider them unique.

jayjay

Giga Poster
I've just redone my top coasters list and here's my top 10. I'm surprised I haven't been in this topic yet.

10. Dragon's Fury
9. Nemesis
8. Megafobia
7. Revenge of the Mummy (Florida)
6. Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (Hollywood Studios)
5. Expedition Everest
4. Montu
3. Rita Queen of Speed (I can see myself getting flamed for that)
2. The Ultimate
1. Kumba

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:

How is it more unique? Because it has an overbank? Sorry, as much as I like launches, and as high as Dragster/Ka are in my top ten, I still would never, ever consider them unique.

I do think Xcelerator is unique in the sense that it does have an overbank after the top hat (as little an element as it sounds, it does make it unique to the standard launch - top hat or the launch - top hat - airtime hill.) My favourite part about it is the fact it has lap bars which offer funky airtime when you fly over the top hat. Maybe it's my little experience of Intamin launched coasters, but that does make it unique to me. The others I have ridden are Rita, Stealth and Dragster.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Not done this for ages, but it's quiet in work tonight and I'm bored.

1. Eagle Fortress
2. Balder
3. Piraten
4. Goliath (Walibi World)
5. Kumba
6. Nemesis
7. Pyrenees
8. Kentucky Rumbler
9. Phantom's Revenge
10. Colossos

Tomatron

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Your coaster count is almost 700, and Rumbler is in your top ten?

EW :p .

You got the Beast in yours and that's a terrible ride. :p

Rumbler is criminally underrated.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Tomatron said:
Rumbler is criminal.
Fixed.
I don't know about you Tom. :? Your Top 10 is just... pathetic. :roll:
How can you rate such a meh coaster as Rumbler anywhere near your Top 10, much less #8? I don't care how underrated you feel it is. And haven't you ridden El Toro at Plohn, which is everything Rumbler should be?
Piraten is good, but not that good. Same goes for Kumba.
Edit. Thanks Ben. :oops: