What's new

Top 10: 2009 Edition

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
I thought that I already replied to this, but my darn memory. Anyway, I'll be honest; my top 10 isn't likely to change unless I ride another mega/hyper or realy good looper. There are some new entries farther down the list. (Thank another forum for making me list all 177 in order!)
Millennium Force
Apollo's Chariot
Goliath (SFOG)
Alpengeist
Kraken
Nitro
Déjà Vu (defunct - SFOG)
Lightning Racer
Steel Force
Griffon
Talon
Montu
Son of Beast
Mr.Freeze **
Thunderhead
Gemini
Manta **
Superman-Ride of Steel (SFA)
Voyage
Top Thrill Dragster
Backlot Stunt Coaster (KD)
Backlot Stunt Coaster (KI)
Steel Eel **
Chang
Wild One
Comet (Hershey)
Phantom's Revenge
Titan (SFOT) **
Superman Krypton Coaster **
Batman And Robin Chiller: Robin (defunct)
Beast
Avalanche (KD)
Mind Bender (SFOG)
Superman-Ultimate Flight (SFOG)
Superman-Ultimate Flight (SFGAV)
Batwing
Wildcat (Hershey)
Kumba
Magnum XL-200
Shockwave (SFOT) **
SheiKra
Kentucky Rumbler
Roar (SFA)
Dueling Dragons: Fire
Tennessee Tornado
Loch Ness Monster
Kingda Ka
Volcano, The Blast Coaster
Jack Rabbit (Kennywood)
Invertigo (KI)
El Toro (SFGAV)
Storm Runner
Anaconda
Afterburn
Raptor
Great Bear
Tony Hawk's Big Spin (SFOT) **
Tony Hawk's Big Spin (SFFT) **

Brookes

Giga Poster
My top 10 at the end of 2009 is:

1. Montu
2. Kumba
3. Nemesis
4. Kraken
5. Expedition Everest
6. Hulk
7. SheiKra
8. Stealth
9. Colossus
10. Silver Star

Compared to 2008:

1. Nemesis
2. Silver Star
3. Oblivion
4. Nemesis Inferno
5. Rock n Roller Coaster
6. Stealth
7. Colossus
8. Rita: Queen of Speed
9. Tonnerre de Zeus
10. Big Thunder Mountain

My top 10 has seriously changed this year!

andrus

Giga Poster
Haven't ridden that many coasters, but my top ten so far is:

1. Dragon Khan (Port Aventura)
2. Stealth (Thorpe Park)
3. Colossos (Heide Park)
4. Stampida (Port Aventura)
5. Furius Baco (Port Aventura)
6. Desert Race (Heide Park)
7. Oblivion (Alton Towers)
8. Nemesis (Alton Towers)
9. Air (Alton Towers)
10. Rita Queen of Speed (Alton Towers)

Comments: Dragon Khan, Stealth and Colossos are in a division of their own! I had a hard time deciding the order of the others, and I think this list is coaster exclusive? Otherwise I belive Scream (Heide Park), Slammer (Thorpe Park) and Vertigo (Tivoli Gardens) actually would have made it into the top ten. They are at least better then the last three in my list..

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
Slash said:
Kraken is in your top 10 but Montu isn't!

My goodness.
Kraken is my favorite sit down looper. Montu is number 12. That is not bad. There are a couple of other B&M inverts that I like just a little bit better, that's all. I have no problem with anyone putting Montu in their top 10; it is a fine ride.

SnooSnoo said:
And how Steel Force is even listed.. boggles thy mind.
Steel Force has unbelieveable airtime. It is a bit rough at the end, otherwise it might have been rated higher. B&M's, on the otherhand, are "glass smooth".

[ Listen SnooSnoo, I was raised in Columbus, OH; I'm on your side. We need to be understanding and nice to everyone a week before "THE GAME". ]

Slash said:
Why is Kraken so high in everyones count? Is it only I that found it utterly forceless?
For me, it has good airtime. I'm always lifted out of my seat on the dive loop. In the back, there are positive g's at the bottom of the big loop. Because of the slight angle going into it, the little loop gets me too.

Snoo

The Legend
Rock said:
Steel Force has unbelieveable airtime. It is a bit rough at the end, otherwise it might have been rated higher. B&M's, on the otherhand, are "glass smooth".

[ Listen SnooSnoo, I was raised in Columbus, OH; I'm on your side. We need to be understanding and nice to everyone a week before "THE GAME". ]

Well, I rode it numerous times, all around the train, and found very little to almost no airtime.. and that was with a loose restraint.. ;)

And as long as you are an Ohio State fan, I'm on your side. :p

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I enjoyed Steel Force actually. It's a fun coaster. It didn't exactly have airtime though, but lots of fun ,minor willy lift.

I think Minor_Furie got airtime though as he's so light and he really enjoyed the ride - one of the highlights of America for him. Odd, but true :)

Brookes

Giga Poster
^^^I agree I really liked Kraken I thought it was quite forceful and really enjoyed it. It doesn't have as much force as Kumba and Montu which are really, really forceful though which is probably why people say they feel no force on Kraken, because they remember it in comparison to them two.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
On three different websites Kraken is rated: 8.6, 9, 8.75
My rating of it: 8

On three different websites Steel Force is rated: 7.7, 8, 8
My rating of it: 8

On three different websites Montu is rated: 8.6, 9, 8.8
My rating of it: 7

My conclusion: I was right on with the first two but I underrated Montu.
The bottom line: it's all about opinions.

I consider myself pretty understanding, but this I don't get. Why are Dueling Dragons: Ice or
Incredible Hulk on anyone's top 10? Fire is faster, taller, and has more unique drops than Ice. It is
by far better than Ice. Sure, the launch, twist, and first drop on the Hulk are fun, but the rest is just plain boring. I would think that Dragon Khan, Kumba, Wildfire, and Time Machine (Led Zeppelin) would be way better B&M sit-down loopers. I "know for a fact" that Kumba is.

[ THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: The Bucs WILL win!!!! Maybe SnooSnoo's Brutus will be more happy. ]

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Not too much change up top.

1. Millennium Force
2. Voyage
3. Thunderhead
4. Top Thrill Dragster
5. Montu
6. Storm Runner
7. Manta
8. Griffon
9. Sheikra
10. Behemoth

Manta's the only 2009 debut, coming in at 7th and knocking SFOG's MindBender from the top 10.
The next new coaster is Kraken down in 23rd, so Manta was the only one that came in high. Once again, B&M are holding down the bottom 5 and Intamin and some woodens take care of the top spots.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I feel like the only person who can't arrange my top ten.

In no particular order, here are some amazing coasters... Black Mamba, Expedition GeForce, Ultimate, PMBO, Nemesis... Look I can't even get ten. Rediculous.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Here's mine in reverse order...

10 - Steel Phantom (Kennywood)

Very much the big suprise on my American trip this year, and just for pure fun and re-rideability in makes it narrowly into the 10...

9 - Oblivion (Alton Towers)

Still better than SheiKra and Griffon, at 11 years old now and it just possesses the force it had when I first rode it, even if it does need a spruce-up...

8 - Kumba (Busch Gardens Africa)

More classic B&M goodness, and I just really like Kumba than the other sit-downs/floorlesses I have done... Just seems to have more about it...

7 - Duelling Dragons : Ice (Islands of Adventure)

I'm different ok, Ice is better than Fire in my opinion, I think mainly due to the inline instead of the hill at that portion...

6 - Megaphobia (Oakwood)

Dropped 2 places this year due to new entrys, but it's now the best wooden coaster in the country now since Grand National got raped...

5 - Top Thrill Dragster (Cedar Point)

30 minutes of pure adrenaline rush like I haven't had off a new ride for a loooong time is why TTD is up in the top 5... Plus lap-bars and build-up make it the best Accelerator I've experienced...

4 - Expedition G-Force (Holiday Park)

It's a great ride, Intamin lap-bars are so much better than their ostrs... And the first drop is what PMBO wishes it was... Again very re-rideable...

3 - The Beast (Kings Island)

Back row, night-time... Awesome, awesome ride that I love to bits, number 200 as well... But it's well deserved in my book on it's high position...

2 - Revenge of the Mummy (Universal Studios Florida)

I LOVE THIS RIDE! Simple as, great mixture of dark ride and coaster, and is generally superior to Hollywood's bar the backwards section... Several great details in the dark ride section and I just kept wanting to go around again and again, resulting in 10 goes overall in a day... Awesome stuff...

1 - Nemesis (Alton Towers)

You were expecting something else? UK's best coaster without any ifs, ands, or buts, and still my number 1 for 8 years now, and it'll take something very special to beat it off there...

AmandaPanda

Mega Poster
I can't decide my top 10 exactly yet, but my new entries are:

Blue Fire - It turns out the most beautiful coaster in the world, also rides amazingly, powerful launch, great indoor section, brilliant effects, inversions and the drop after the MCBR is amazing, plus with tunnels and theming to add to it!

Anaconda - Yes I made this trip specifically for Tower Of Terror and this ride, which is out of the way so in the MHP has never charted, but I can say, that I feel it is the best invert in the world, and am rather upset it's the only one from it's manufactuer, the theming is also amazing!

Piraten - So much in such a small space; Great drop, lats and airtime!

theRock-steel

Mega Poster
SnooSnoo said:
^Fire is the best coaster at IoA.. I agree with you Rock. :)

PS: O-H!!

We are going to get along just fine.
(Fire is in my top 5 B&M inverts.)

I-O !!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

CedarPoint6 said:
Not too much change up top.

1. Millennium Force
2. Voyage
3. Thunderhead
4. Top Thrill Dragster
5. Montu
6. Storm Runner
7. Manta
8. Griffon
9. Sheikra
10. Behemoth

Manta's the only 2009 debut, coming in at 7th and knocking SFOG's MindBender from the top 10.
The next new coaster is Kraken down in 23rd, so Manta was the only one that came in high. Once again, B&M are holding down the bottom 5 and Intamin and some woodens take care of the top spots.

If you replace Storm Runner you have a great list. (It is shorter than 200ft. yet runs less than a minute - kind of boring.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

^ Kebab, I don't know those coasters real well but I like the video.
I wish that each one "moved". I like the music; what band ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am wondering what people think of Gemini at CP, Avalanche at KD, or any of the Backlot Stunt Coasters. I have been told that I rank them way heigher than most. I think that they are just a lot of fun and can be ridden over and over again with little pain.

Kebab

Giga Poster
^Thanks :)

It was just a rushed project of mine several months back, I never knew I even had it! The only reason I didn't have video footage for all of the coasters is possibly because I missed out on oppurtunities to record them.

And the music; I'm very shocked you haven't figured the band out :p It's Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden.