What's new

Tom's TR thread 2017: May 24 SFOT

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So this year, I'm actually going to attempt to do trip reports, to give me a bit of reminder of what I've done and ****. I decided after being at the park today, so no photos.

My father in law flew into town late last night for a quick visit. Being that I just started a new job 6 weeks ago, taking time off isn't the best idea, but I took a half day on my managers suggestion. Gotta love good management.

We took a quick drive to SFOT and got into the park around 1. The park closed at 6, so we had about 5 hours to run through the park. I had been before, but haven't gotten all the creds, so I was going to attempt to finish my new home park off.

Joker

New cred for the park, a new +1 for me. The park was quite empty, only waited about 10-15 minutes and were on. To note, I've ridden one zacspin (SFMM) and loved it the first time a few years back, but after my ride a few months ago, I loathe them.

It's so much better. There isn't the awful face down on drops forces on your head makes you want to die pain. Quite a few flips and just a fun ride. Glorified flat basically. +1

Batman

Next was another +1 for me at the park, your standard clone. That's all for that.

After Batman, we checked Freeze, the wait was about an hour as they only had one station going so we skipped it. I wanted to ride Shockwave as I remembered it being a surprisingly fun coaster, we walked up and my annoyance began to grow. ****ing VR bull ****.

Shockwave

The queue was MAYBE 100 people long. At most. I was against the stupid headsets, but I was over ruled. They had a VR train and normal train. The normal train they couldn't fill and told people they could stay on. The VR train didn't have the first or last car filled, really only half the train was being used. 8 minute dispatch times. Legitimately 8 minutes to dispatch a ****ing schwarzkopf double looper. I quit.

We finally get on, and its blurry as he'll. The staff is ****ing pathetic. They have 6 people working the ride, moving slow as ****. Shocker, bad Six Flags ops. The ride starts and nothing on my screen until the top of the lift. It's some space **** where you move your head and it shoots. Completely disorienting and I hated every second of it.

Part of riding coasters with a **** back is bracing for poor turns and ****, I couldn't do that. I wanted to take it off immediately but it was an hour to get the ****ing thing on my head and I'm stubborn. It ended and I realized there's a scoring system which meant nothing to me. It was dumb as he'll. Seriously, avoid at all costs.

After that I said we had to head go to what was once my favorite coaster. Texas Giant. Closed, but testing. I electedd to wait it our and 5 minutes later they opened it back up. A guy in a Lightning Rod shirt walked up behind me so I struck up conversation, because why not as we were in the back row together.

New Texas Giant

This coaster blew my ****ing mind when I rode it on media day 5 years ago. I've ridden some better coasters, i.e. Outlaw Run. Now it's still a great ride, but Outlaw Run has literally ruined what I thought was good. And Maverick. The drop is great, the first hill is great, but it felt like it just wanted to Invert on the turns, but just never happened. Then the ending dies, which gives me serious fear of Mean Streak v2.

We get off and head over to Titan. The guy I sat with joins, as he was on a cred run and gave us an even number. Really nice guy.

Titan

So much better than Goliath with that extra helix. That's it. After this we hit Giant again, and then decided to hit La Vibora. We split up from the guy we met at this point and riding that pile of **** was painful. Jerky. Oh well.

It was 5 at this point, and I still wanted Freeze. We headed back and got in the queue. Half of what it was earlier, but still a solid 25 minutes. Capacity nightmare.

Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast

We got to the station and headed for the back row, shortest wait. Not being able to see things on the launch is terrifying. The entire reverse part is terrifying, especially the spike, getting that kick going backwards up. So great. Then the return where you can see what you're doing is a blast (bad pun) but no where near backwards. I had horrible expectations for this, just wanted a plus one, but I loved it. Now a must ride for the park.

We decided to end it there as it was 530 and hunger was setting in for my wife and FIL. Overall, it was a fun, relaxing day. I need to go back to finish the creds, still need the Spinner, indoor, and the family rides bur I have time.

Next time I'll take pictures of rides you are all familiar of because text only is boring and nobody will read this anyways.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Next time I'll take pictures of rides you are all familiar of because text only is boring and nobody will read this anyways.
I did! :p

It's interesting to hear your thoughts on NTG all these years later. It's obviously still a great coaster, but it's incredible to see how far RMC have come since then. I wonder if we'd have fully realised at the time quite how revolutionary they'd become.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That awkward moment when Hixee's post is basically what I was going to post. Haha. I remember everybody gushing over NTG and now POVs of the ride make it look fairly tame.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
NTG still packs a punch to be fair. For all the amazing new RMC twiddly bits and killer stalls, there's something to be said for simple airtime and big ass drops and NTG does that well enough. Plus it looks intimidating.

Also, Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast is amazing. The loading area alone makes me go all wobbly and I can never give enough love for this coaster.