What's new

Tokyo Disney mid-term plan for up to 2017

peep

CF Legend
The Oriental Land Company (owners of the Tokyo Disney resort) have released a financial document which also mentions their new mid-term plan where they'll invest $5 billion (US).

2014 sees a new night time projection mapping show on the castle, due to open at the end of May. In September sees the re-imagined Jungle Cruise attraction. They've added a new soundtrack and a whole host of other things including a night time version.

2015 sees work improving the Mediterranean Harbour in DisneySea finished. In the Spring a new show will open in Mermaid Lagoon (I assume this is a re-working of the current Little Mermaid show?). A new Stitch Live show will also open up in the Summer.

The plan also includes the retheme of a land in the DisneyLand Park and a new extension to DisneySea with further works on the Resort in general to make it a better environment.

The aim of the plan is to be more accepting of the market growing older and more guests coming from overseas.

You can read the report here.

I think it's interesting they are planning on adding a whole new area to DisneySea, I look forward to hearing more on that. I'm surprised it's taken them this long to add Stitch Live too, it better have a big capacity as he is HUGE over there.

bmac

Giga Poster
I'm actually amazed that they haven't made a sequel for Lilo & Stitch since he's so damn popular in Japan.

peep

CF Legend
They did.

Liloandstitch2dvd.jpg

There was also a TV series that ran for 3 years.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Where on earth are they going to shoehorn an addition into DisneySea?

Unless they are extending the path in front of the Indiana Jones ride away from the Crystal Skulls coaster?

peep

CF Legend
So big news was announced this morning. By 2017 Fantasyland will be completely refurbished (added effects etc), Small World will be moving location and they'll be expanding the area so it'll be double it's current size. That's not all, DisneySea will be getting a whole new port which will be a similar size to the Arabian coast area.

Other refurbs and festival enhancements are also planned within this short period of time.

Very exciting times indeed. Apparently part of the Fantasyland expansion will be a major Frozen attraction. Can't wait to see what they're actually building

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Screamscape have speculated that the new port at DisneySea could be a whole Frozen area: Arendelle. In the film, it's a port city, so it would work

peep

CF Legend
I had heard that rumour ages ago, then people on Twitter yesterday were convinced that the Frozen attraction was going to be part of the Fantasyland expansion, but in the art work they released there isn't an Arendelle. So yeah, DisneySea seems like a solid rumour. And the area allocated in Sea would be big enough for a Frozen area.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Well, it's official that DisneySea are building a whole new "Scandinavia" port, which basically means Frozen. Screamscape have posted the concept art, which includes the castle from the film, the town/village area and a mountain which will almost certainly hold a Frozen-themed ride, though I guess there no reason why the castle couldn't.

db_2015_0428_TDS_FrozenPort_7201.jpg

Interesting that the resort will now have two castles and that there will be another "Mountain" attraction to add to the list.

peep

CF Legend
There is also new artwork for the new Alice in wonderland and Beauty and the Beast areas. They haven't revealed details but have mentioned that all three new areas will have several attractions which I think is interesting but could mean anything.

The Scandinavian port is similar to the Arabian coast area where it's a general country theme with hints/bits themed to a film or two. So expect non-frozen things too. I also think it'll fit perfectly in that corner of the park.

The Fantasyland expansion is due to be all open by 2017 (which is really soon) and the Scandinavian port should be ready fiscal year 2017.

With the amount of work that has to be done in Fantasyland expect that to be quite horrible until it's all done.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I am going this year which I cannot wait for...this is all just reasons to go back, it really looks like one heck of a park!

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
I have been waiting for this to be confirmed! Over the moon! :D

There's more at http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/olcgroup/20150428_04e.pdf <3

One thing that has surprised me is the fact it's themed to Scandanvia and not 'Arandelle'. I guess they are continuing the geographical prominence throughout the park. I wonder if the mountain will house a coaster - refusing to ponder that Raging Spirits is all they can offer.

I'm equally excited about the fantasyland expansion! Definitely the current weakest area in the park so this is perfect. Alice & Belle <3. Ugh Tokyo stays winning.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
Extension of Period to Consider Development Plans for Tokyo Disneyland® Park and Tokyo DisneySea® Park
URAYASU, CHIBA— Oriental Land Co., Ltd. announced that it will extend the period to study the two-large scale development plans, the redevelopment of Fantasyland at Tokyo Disneyland® Park and development of the new themed port at Tokyo DisneySea® Park.

Oriental Land Co. has been examining these two major development plans including revisiting some of the plans and concluded that it requires the extension of the consideration period, which was originally scheduled to end during 2015, in order to create a long-term and sustainable value of the theme parks
statement

:'(

Scaling back?
Star Wars? :wink:

davidm

Strata Poster
Always thought that the plans they had for 'Land' were a bit confused (Frozen-land into 'Sea' made much more sense though).

Perhaps they are rethinking their Fantasyland rejig then ; sure they could stick a StarWars land into the area that they'd earmarked for some of that Fantasyland stuff - i.e. the autotopia car thing and the car/coach park behind it... could also join up with the existing StarTours then (if you worked around Space Mountain that is sitting a bit in the way)?

peep

CF Legend
The Beauty and the beast ride sounds amazing, really hope Paris gets it at some point.

I think Big Hero 6 deserves something better than a little "whip" ride. At least it's something. Oh and borin' is a big waste of money imo.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk