Strata Poster
Empty_tin_can2009-01-19.jpg

Is it a tin or a can?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Here we go again. :roll:
In the UK it's a tin & in America it's a can.
+1

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
ECG said:
Here we go again. :roll:
In the UK it's a tin & in America it's a can.
+1

Personally I prefer "none-specified-alloy". It's so much more accurate and nobody gets upset ;)

thx

Mega Poster
^lol

nadroJ said:
It annoys me when people ask for a tin of drink. NO. Can of drink, tin of beans.
Exactly how I feel. However, many of my (non-english native speaking) friends say tin can and just can for a beverage, which I think sounds better than just tin (for i.e. beans) for some strange reason.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
^ Pop/Soda, Drinking Fountain/ Bubbler, Tin/Can...

Don't even get me started on this crap.
For us Yanks its a can, but you can call it what ever you want.
Ah, cultural differences. :roll:

nadroJ

CF Legend
^I don't say pop or soda, sooo....?

And bubbler? I've never ever heard that before? You say it means drinking fountain?

Will

Strata Poster
The picture is of a tin.
The only exception to this rule seems to be beer, which can come in 'tins' or even 'jars' over here. This confuses me.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
^I don't say pop or soda, sooo....?

And bubbler? I've never ever heard that before? You say it means drinking fountain?
Yea, those are American terms that are frequently argued about. It annoys the crap out of me because some people care so much about them. People in different regions will speak a tad bit differently. In the end, who really cares?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Could you care less? ;)

Will, a "jar" in terms of beer is when you get a pint in a pub. I suspect it goes back to Victorian gin houses when you'd get strong alcohol in an apothecary jar - or it was some wit in the 60's. I think it's all to do with the glass container though.

Isn't "tinny" an Australian term? Probably something to do with trying to drink with the manacles on :p