What's new

Tibidabo + PA in the rain

andrus

Giga Poster
This report will be divided in two parts. First I'll start off with Tibidabo since it seems like one of the less visited parks among the forum members! Then I'll continue with Port Aventura that probably everybody have been to. But mind you, I got a twist! It's rarely bad weather in this region but when I went it was **** cold and raining all day, making the trip a little bit different! :lol:

So Tibidabo, what can I say of this park? This is a park that you (or at least me) rarely hear anything of. Still it's situated in one of the prime holiday destinations of europe. Now that's strange! I bet it's partly because the lack of major attractions and partly because of the rather complicated way of getting there. It would (obviously depending on where you stay in Barcelona) probably take you roughly the same amount of time to get to Port Aventura!

To get to this park you would have to take the metro, then a tram and finally a funicular up the Tibidabo mountain. Luckily me and my partner stayed at a hotel not far away, meaning we only had a 20 min walk to the funicular, in lovely weather as well! :)

97365162.jpg

This is the road up the mountain to the funicular. As you can see, it's the same route as the tram takes.

63517980.jpg

The old, rather shakey and expensive funicular you had to take up the mountain.

Well up the mountain you're greeted with a spectacular view of Barcelona! This is probably the main feature of this park and a major reason to why many people visit :) Basically it's a kids park with a lot of gentle attractions. The top spin, hanuted house and family coaster are probably the only attractions appealing for the older people! But still, it's a very nice atmosphere in the park, just a little bit too high priced in comparison with what you get.

45549733.jpg

Beautiful view of the city!

Since the trip to the park took a lot longer than we thought (due to a massive queue for the funicular) we headed straight for the creds to be sure not to miss out on them!

83939427.jpg

Getting closer!

First stop of the day was Muntanya Russa, the only major roller coaster of the park. It's a Vekoma sit-down family ride which opened in 2008. We were doing this park most because of upping our cred count and I didn't have very high expectations for neither of the coasters. I thought this would ride similar to the Vekoma suspended famliy coasters. But I admit that I was very impressed with the setting :)

25750627.jpg

Interesting queue line.

The layout of the ride reminds me a lot of Lisebergsbanan. It consists of a lot of sweeping turns and helixes down the mountain. The setting is much more impressive then Lisebergsbanan though. With Mountanya Russa you not only get a great terrain hugging ride, you also get one of the most impressive views of any coaster in the world!

59971385.jpg

Train flying by!

The forces surpriced me! Although it's relative small size Mountanya Russa pics up quite some speed as it flies down the mountain. Along the road there's a lot of twisty turns and the helixes are pretty powerful considering it's a family ride! As you might have guessed by now I really liked this one! I would love for any park to get a coaster like this. Attractive for the whole family yet interesting enough to keep an anthusiast like me busy for quite some time :--D

The stand out feature of this coaster was obviously the first drop! Going down the Tibidabo mountain with that spectacular view was mind blowing!! Not only where the views great, the drop itself is quite decent. It feels rather long and you get some good air :) I'll probably get slated for this, but: one of the best drops in the world??! :p

84489900.jpg

First drop doesn't look that spectacular from this angle..

45774501.jpg

..but look at this view!!

Next up was the other coaster at the park: Tibidabo Express. This was an odd Zamperla powered coaster. The layout differed from the usual helixes and this was in a way more similar to a wild mouse. You start off with a fast right hand turn down the mountain through a tunnel, then the train zig-zags it's way through the course. Nothing too exciting. Maybe it's just that it differs from the regular models, but I found it a bit better than most other powered coasters.

10488113.jpg

Train fling through the station.

When we where done with the two creds the clock had already ticked away. The park was absolutely packed and there where long queues everywhere! I don't know if this is always the case? But I wasn't exactly expecting to find longer queues here than at Port Aventura :lol:

Anyway, we continued with the flume which was refreshing in the Barcelona sun! The ride had two drops, a double down and a larger straight one. It was really fun tbh!

36921696.jpg

Not so wet.. ..and very wet!

Next up was Hotel Krüeger which was a mock up of all horror films known to man! :p It's a horror walk through, all in Spanish, meaning that you do not understand a lot of what the actors say. But it was very good despite (or because of?) all it's cheesy-ness! Very good scenery and enthusiastic actors :)

44699742.jpg

Approval of Freddy Krueger!

By now it was late and we had tickets to a fotball game at the evening, so we opted for a couple of re-rides on Mountanya Russa before we headed back to the hotel! All in all I would say it was a nice day out. Lovely weather, lovely views and despite the lack of major attractions the ones present where all above above average :) The downside was that there really wasn't much else to do except for the listed rides here above (except if your a child). And the abundance of folks was almost a bit uncomfortable at times. I would still recommend anyone in the region to make the extra effort and go to the park. After all it has a couple of creds whereof Muntanya Russa is a great one too!

71334404.jpg

Obligatory pic of the airplane-ride which more or less acts as a mascot for the park!

Thanks for reading!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
You don't have to take the metro, a tram and the funicular. You can take a direct bus which takes about 30 minutes from the city centre and costs less.

I really liked the coaster there as well, but there's not a great deal else there.

The airplane thing was cool, but very dull. The bucket on a stick thing was genuinely terrifying though.

The horror walkthrough was really good, considering I'm not a fan of them.

It's too bad the air diver collapsed; it was easily the best thing in the park.

Lofty

CF Legend
I loved Tibidabo, so much so. I had a really fantastic day. It was so much easier, as Gavin said, to get a direct bus to the park, ha.

Hotel Krüeger is one of (if not) the best attraction in the park, in my opinion (being a Scare geek). It's just a great place.

Rachel

Coaster MILF
I wish i'd had a chance to visit this place when I was in Barcelona, only had a day there though :(. Ah well always an excuse to go back :).