What's new

Thoughts on the Dutch Parks

Benenen

Hyper Poster
This past week I've been in Holland visiting Walibi, Toverland and Efteling. I didn't take many pictures and I've already forgotten the order I rode things so this report will be bullet points of my various thoughts followed by a photo dump at the end. Let's get cracking with this.

- Walibi Holland is a green and pretty park. I assumed it would be concretey but there's trees and landscaping all over the place, the areas by the rapids and the antique cars are particularly lush. What wasn't so lush was the layout. I didn't like how Condor and Goliath were at dead ends but very near to each other, I felt I had to backtrack through that area by the S&S tower so many times to get to the rides in that area. It also felt like the area by the Top Spin should have connected to the log flume but to get from there over to Lost Gravity you have to go that cumbersome route by the Big Wheel. None of this is a big issue as the park is quite small but the layout feels strange.

-Untamed is amazing, top 2 coaster for me. I've never been on a ride with such good pacing and the airtime is strong and consistent. Unfortunately on my last ride at the back someones coins came out of their pockets a few rows in front of me on the drop so I had to spend the whole ride ducked in a brace position with my hands covering my eyes.

-As mentioned in the Neorogen topic I really loved it. I opted to pay 5€ to book a time slot which payed off as the main queue went all the way to the entrance. Only a single person was being let in every few minutes so I dread to think how long it was. This was on a Sunday so potentially on a weekday the standby line is a viable option.

- Queue times weren't too bad, the main coasters ranged from 15-35 minutes. I had the most basic level of Fast Lane which works like the one at Blackpool where you book a ride on your phone and virtually wait. I fasttracked at least 10 rides during the day so at 20€ it worked out as good value but wouldn't have been essential to getting on everything.

- Efteling is huge. Queue times were low (max of 20 minutes) but there was no way we could have done everything we wanted in the 8 hours even with the horse show closed. We went hard but missed the outdoor boats, flying island, 4D cinema, rapids, Fairy-tale Forest, pirate ship and a few other smaller things. To fully absorb the park you need at least a day and a half even when it's quiet.

- Efteling is a premium, high end park. Rides run at high capacities, effects work and every corner of it looks gorgeous. It feels professional and well looked after.

-Symbolica is very high concept and ambitious but the execution isn't quite there. You spend a lot of the ride waiting for the other cars to enter or leave the scene you're in and it feels a bit stop and start in places. The music tour is the jerkiest pacing wise and the treasure tour flows the smoothest through the scenes. I'm also not keen on the interactive sections. If you're in the back rows and can't participate it takes you out of the ride but if you're in the front you spend too much time staring at the screen which also takes you out of the immersion. I come across as quite negative about Symbolica but I did love it, the sets are beautiful and it feels magical and goosebumpy in many places.

- Toverland was so much fun. I've been feeling stressed at work the last few weeks so spending a day here messing about on clackety bridges, pulling myself across rivers and jumping across platforms was a joy and felt really magical. I used to love taking my shoes off and climbing on stuff as a kid so to have a day reverting back to that as a 24 year old was a delight.

- Toverland has a solid coaster line up. I always thought Troy looked dull and just a load of corners on POVs but it rides amazingly. Lots of hidden dips and sharp moments of airtime. Fenix was also fantastic and doesn't have that cumbersome push/pull motion through the elements like other wing coasters have. The park will also let you stay in your seat and go round again if there's no one else waiting, there was a group of us lapping Troy during the last 15 minutes of opening which made for a great atmosphere.

- I loved the area around the rapids, there's loads of different routes on different levels through caves and across bridges. Lots of effects like mist and waterfalls too and even an animatronic.

- Overall this was an easy trip to do. We flew to Eindhoven, hired a car and stayed in an Airbnb in the middle of nowhere. It took just over an hour to drive to Walibi and Toverland and half an hour to get to Efteling. Dutch driving is very pleasant, we encountered no traffic during the whole trip.
4c5f8913577466e97d14977acb691d0d.jpg
519094b2f85fef1d4c81193d69c82609.jpg
f714175d552b02a868cb7761423651da.jpg
6c7b062114a693059fa0b0cf6f284e0f.jpg
742ef05c65d7c664f6e237b2d80798d0.jpg
49ec4934388d02aab246e27ae1f3f1ea.jpg
42bfb07b122b0ffa63da983cc1c5a526.jpg
3cde6951739e0547aeb5f3b1b71a8feb.jpg
95732af857afce4afd720f47c4cbcddb.jpg
6cedc529c76d2774d2173ac2c70922b3.jpg
6949f43e32e454255933701bd5a66dff.jpg
fc400e3444d2f6ada1bc829acb8278eb.jpg
6d8b0d6541f702de4e683ba8ed9625d8.jpg
d5fbd3b60b8964bbfbf51243243c9341.jpg
eac9121b20bb92680fe832601126de10.jpg
1f6278fea92f4e5f4a4328831db7d496.jpg
d6a5f032ff6f6c6d7a8441af7528ca2e.jpg
58c759fdcb5bef2d5c6cd60a547bc4d2.jpg
4cc581cb0ec5bbb9a312b3a039065331.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
-Untamed is amazing, top 2 coaster for me. I've never been on a ride with such good pacing and the airtime is strong and consistent. Unfortunately on my last ride at the back someones coins came out of their pockets a few rows in front of me on the drop so I had to spend the whole ride ducked in a brace position with my hands covering my eyes.
Out of curiosity, what's number 1?

Very balanced thoughts and sounds like you had a great trip! Good to at least get some of your thoughts down, I think it helps to rethink experiences during trip reports to solidify your feelings on them. :)

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Out of curiosity, what's number 1?

Very balanced thoughts and sounds like you had a great trip! Good to at least get some of your thoughts down, I think it helps to rethink experiences during trip reports to solidify your feelings on them. :)
Cheers, I really enjoyed writing that and having a long think about the parks and what I enjoyed about them.

Number 1 is either Untamed or Wildfire. Untamed has the stronger pacing and airtime but Wildfire has the better setting and I prefer the first sequence of elements on Wildfire more than any part of Untamed. It's just a shame it fizzles out towards the end but they're both fantastic coasters in different ways.

Marcus

Roller Poster
Great trip report! Can relate to a lot of what you've said as Im currently doing a very similar trip with a few cities and Phantasialand thrown in. Only park left to do is Walibi Holland, which is also the only park on the trip I haven't done.

Also going there on a sunday, did the queue for untamed become very quite towards the end of the day? currently haven't got any fast pass, but wouldn't be against getting one of their tiers of fast pass (probably not gold though). Here with my girlfriend so single rider although not completely ruled out is less of an option. The number of great parks in close proximity is crazy in the Benelux and north west Germany.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Not too sure about Untamed dying down, I had my last ride at about 5:00 and the queue was still as long as it had been all day. I wanted to return later but it was down when I checked at 5:30 so I spent the rest of the day on Lost Gravity instead. Single rider looked at least 20 minutes all day for Untamed. The price for the most basic Fast Lane has gone up to 25€ Euros now but I think that offers good value if you want to get on all the attractions plus hammer out loads of laps on the big 3. If I visited again on a weekend I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

Hope you have a great time on tomorrow, be sure to let us know how you get on.

Marcus

Roller Poster
Had a great day today, untamed is probably my number 2 behind Helix and just surpassing Taron. When I first went on it in the morning I found it to be a bit disappointing and felt until getting back on it later in the day that Goliath was hands down the best ride at the park, but once Untamed warmed but it leap frogged Goliath and then some!

Didn't get any fast pass in the end and got by alright without although wouldn't of minded potentially get the bronze next time for rerides on Untamed, did after speaking to my girlfriend make good use of the single riders queue which is definitely quicker than the normal queue but it was definitely a lucky dip for how long you waited.

Met a few very nice fellow enthusiasts, one called Stephen I think who kindly took my picture of me and his old man on the brake run of Untamed, not sure if I entered my email correctly on your phone so if your reading this message please DM me! It was great chatting coasters in Untameds queue even if it was only for a short while!

Great park, certainly not perfect (food service next to speed of sound it was one poor guy doing pretty much everything whilst all the other staff did very little), would definitely visit again!

Cheers, I really enjoyed writing that and having a long think about the parks and what I enjoyed about them.

Number 1 is either Untamed or Wildfire. Untamed has the stronger pacing and airtime but Wildfire has the better setting and I prefer the first sequence of elements on Wildfire more than any part of Untamed. It's just a shame it fizzles out towards the end but they're both fantastic coasters in different ways.
Nice report :) Did an almost identical trip last week, just tagged Phantasialand onto the end. Untamed is also now my number 2 after Wildfire haha.