What's new

Thorpe Park to get a Flying Coaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
So, whilst I was on TPR, I was reading a thread, and somebody said that Air was intended to go to Thorpe Park. That didn't happen, but I found something interesting on Google Maps.

74ZwfHhl.png

Which seems about the perfect size for a flyer.

Here's the same picture again, albeit with an ideal Flying coaster:

imLXDUD.png

So, my question to you is... Would it be good? Would it be feasible? What do you think should go there?

Ethan

Strata Poster
1. Air was never meant for Thorpe Park, ever.
2. TPR forums are far from a reliable source haha
3. The scale of that drawing is off, a pretzel loop doesn't take up as much space as Swarm's turnaround.

Tbh I doubt they'll ever get a Flyer so it's not worth discussing again. They have Swarm and a Flyer just isn't what they need anymore. Also, I'd recommend posting things like this in General Discussion and not News & Rumours, as this isn't really a rumour at all.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
TheFlyerMan1 said:

imLXDUD.png
An ideal model of one, yeah. :lol: The scale in that drawing puts the Pretzel Loop around 20m across - that seems a little small to me...

It would be cool if Thorpe got a flyer, so permit me to daydream a little.

One of these slightly newer styles of flyers with the more adventurous layouts (like Starry Sky Ripper) would be great. You could even imagine the theming being able to tie in with the Swarm somehow (either like, attack drones battling the Swarm, or another attack of some sort). It could work quite well. They'd probably put VR on it though and **** it up... :lol:

In reality? I'm not so sure. I would prefer a hyper, but I suspect that's unlikely too. If they're going to get any B&M I think a flyer is probably the most likely, but I think (hope) they'll do something Helix-esque with their next ride.

Ben

CF Legend
Would it be the worst thing if they got one? No.

Would it be the best? No.

Will they get one? No.

They're honestly not getting one. In 2020 Air will be 18 years old - they aren't getting one then it'll be something more modern.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
TommyAlex said:
And why is this in News & Rumours?
No idea. Moved.

Replied on my phone earlier, so didn't spot it was in the wrong forum.

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
Hixee said:
TheFlyerMan1 said:

imLXDUD.png
An ideal model of one, yeah. :lol: The scale in that drawing puts the Pretzel Loop around 20m across - that seems a little small to me...

It would be cool if Thorpe got a flyer, so permit me to daydream a little.

One of these slightly newer styles of flyers with the more adventurous layouts (like Starry Sky Ripper) would be great. You could even imagine the theming being able to tie in with the Swarm somehow (either like, attack drones battling the Swarm, or another attack of some sort). It could work quite well. They'd probably put VR on it though and **** it up... :lol:

In reality? I'm not so sure. I would prefer a hyper, but I suspect that's unlikely too. If they're going to get any B&M I think a flyer is probably the most likely, but I think (hope) they'll do something Helix-esque with their next ride.

Regarding your comment about the pretzel - Superman: Ultimate Flight has a 20m Pretzel. It doesn't have to be big. A Tatsu one really would take away from the weenie that is The Swarm. I think maybe Manta height with a longer layout would permit for a Superman sized pretzel...

EDIT: Maybe a slight orientation and size change would be more fitting... It'd also allow for a Vekoma Boomerang in there somewhere. They aren't actually that rough to be honest.

8PYjKDx.png

Also, in case you are confused, the dark red is for inversions, and the normal red is for normal track.

ukthemeparkfan

Roller Poster
to be honest Thorpe don't need a flyer as the swarm offers a very similar experience to a flyer. if thorpe were to get another b and m coaster it would be a hyper because Merlin could try to get the tallest in the uk.

Ben

CF Legend
Excuse me, I know what he wrote and my point still stands.

Because actually, if B&M built another Coaster at Thorpe, it still wouldn't be a Hyper.

So pipe the **** down.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
If Thorpe were to get another B&M, the trains would have to be the size of Dive Machine ones in order for the scare actors to stay on.

TommyAlex

Mega Poster
I've never got why people think Thorpe would be getting a hyper. Stealth already is a hyper, albeit not a typical one, so why would they build a second? If the general public want height when at TP, they've got Stealth.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
TheFlyerMan1 said:
Regarding your comment about the pretzel - Superman: Ultimate Flight has a 20m Pretzel. It doesn't have to be big. A Tatsu one really would take away from the weenie that is The Swarm. I think maybe Manta height with a longer layout would permit for a Superman sized pretzel...
Sorry, going back on this.

I'm pretty sure the Superman: Ultimate Flight pretzels are bigger than 20m across. I've scaled from Google and from a picture on RCDB, and you can see that they're far more than 20m across.

Google - more like 40m (S:UF @ Great America):
Capture_zps479kvqb4.png

RCDB - I make that around 45m too (S:UF @ Great Adventure, assuming a seated person is 1.5m):
Capture2_zps63q1rnyj.png

For reference, I make the one on Tatsu to be more like 55-60m:
Capture3_zps2ob6jcue.png

Obviously this is very crude, but they're certainly not 20m across. Although I'm happy to stand corrected...

TheFlyerMan1

Roller Poster
You've covered part of the curve there, too. I only counted from the rise. I'll amend my plans ASAP though.

Edit: This. The pretzel is now 35m to 40m across.

31RLsan.png

whVa4Pl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.