What's new

Thorpe Park | Snoozebox hotel

Nic

Strata Poster
Thorpe Park have made a planning application to erect a temporary 'hotel' inside the park. Surprise surprise, it'll be made from Merlin's recent construction medium w*nk-material of choice, shipping containers.

It's planned to go on that bit of land to the right of the bridge, between the dome and the lake. I believe it's over where that "thrill factory" building is currently.

It'll be provided by a company called Snoozebox. David Coulthard has got something to do with them, so it's no surprise that most of their business is done providing temporary accommodation for teams and/or fans at Motorsports events. It looks like each room has 2 bed with space for 3 people (in a single bunk over a double bed configuration the same as they have in the crappy Etap hotels). Each room has an ensuite "wet room"

There's no more information at the moment about how this is going to work from a practical or pricing point of view. For example, will they be keeping any of the bars/shops open after park hours to serve hotel guests? Will it be open during park operating season only?

Have some random facts:
Indoor floor space created - 2428 square M
117 rooms
No additional parking
Temporary period until Feb 2016

The consultation period for the planning application ends on 13th September.

Related links:
Snoozebox - http://www.snoozebox.com/home/index.html#welcome
Planning application overview - http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/Northg ... I=PLANNING
Planning app documents - http://planning.runnymede.gov.uk/RBCNGE ... .12%2f0878

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Re: Thorpe Park Hotel (sort of!)

Worst addition a park could ever see, in the same park with Storm Surge...

It's just... Awful, and will barely ever be used, and when it is, will only be for those club nights they do...

Trial for a hotel my arse, just lack of money...

bmac

Giga Poster

This is hilarious from a tourist's standpoint. You get to sleep inside an amusement park, but it's in a glorified shipping container of all things...

If you ask me it isn't worth it unless there's some HUGE perks thrown into the basket, like pre-opening ERT, an hour ERT after the park closes, discount meals, etc.

I'll add another question, is there going to be an actual resort built in/nearby the park?

peep

CF Legend

^Yes, apparently this is while they build the proper hotel which we saw the planning application for ages ago. However some reckon this could be just to see if building the hotel is justifiable.

It's a random decision and I'm intrigued to see how they price it etc.

Nic

Strata Poster

Am I the only person that doesn't hate it? I think it all depends on the price. If it was cheap enough, I'd be tempted to stay there.

It's Merlin though, so it'll be horrifically over priced

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

According to some people who have looked into it, the base price appears to be £80-170 ish...

So expect it to be £200 ;)

Jake

Strata Poster

I like the concept of this, especially the idea of putting them in a city centre as part of a festival/event or something, but at a theme park? Hmm...

Don't hate it, but don't really love it either. Whatever.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

I just don't get it.

It's going to be an expencive gimmick, surely? Who's going to care? I'm intrigued, but I cannot see how its a trial for a hotel, completely different audience.

I've never understood why they don't run their own expencive shuttle between their parks in the area, with the choice to mix and match the parks when you stay in the Chessington hotel (or Lego or Thorpe). I imagine a lot of people would do that, especially with Chessington/Legoland. That would truly make a resort experience out of it all, to have access to several attractions. Would people not travel further for that, also?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

Nemesis Inferno said:
According to some people who have looked into it, the base price appears to be £80-170 ish...

So expect it to be £200 ;)

hmmm - don't think i'd pay more than 80 for a night there...

nadroJ

CF Legend

Looks gash. I still think they should invest in something along the lines of Universal's CityWalk, some restaurants, shops, bars, nightclubs, a cinema, etc. The crowd that Thorpe attracts are young adults, and if they want people to spend a weekend away at Thorpe you're not going to entice them with the 'nightlife' in Staines, and yes London is close but people are quire wary of public transport if they're far away from home. I know it would be a very expensive investment, but I think it's pay off massively and would definitely appeal to the Thorpe crowd.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

I think it looks really nice and Im not sure why, the rooms just look cute an moden.
If it's not stupidly expensive, I would stay in it, only as long as you get ERT on The Swarm and other rides.

Ethan

Strata Poster

nadroJ said:
Looks gash. I still think they should invest in something along the lines of Universal's CityWalk, some restaurants, shops, bars, nightclubs, a cinema, etc. The crowd that Thorpe attracts are young adults, and if they want people to spend a weekend away at Thorpe you're not going to entice them with the 'nightlife' in Staines, and yes London is close but people are quire wary of public transport if they're far away from home. I know it would be a very expensive investment, but I think it's pay off massively and would definitely appeal to the Thorpe crowd.

This. People my age and up would pay LOADS for a night or two there if they have a CityWalk style area. It would just be so refreshing! I hope Thorpe will read this <3

Also I just looked at the picture of the 'SnoozeBox'. I want to vomit.

rich210uk

Mega Poster

I like the look of the rooms! But it would have to be dirt cheap and we all know it wont be. Although theres not much in the area as competition. All the hotels with a few miles average about £80 a night so if it was less than that and a few perks thrown in then it could be worth it!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Keep dreaming. It won't be comparable in price to a local B&B. They'll market the crappy rooms as "modern" and "quirky", and charge more, rather than doing what Etap do and tell it like it is: basic room, get what you pay for.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I literally did laugh out loud when I saw the picture....

snoozebox-exterior-sunshine.jpg

Second only to Disney, ey? :lol:

Its **** awful.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Lmao, the photo! Ahahaha oh god, this is SO Thorpe, it's **** dreadful ahahaha <3

spicy

Giga Poster

This has to be a really late April fool, surely? A shipping container hotel, Merlin have out done themselves with this one!

LG95

Roller Poster

Great idea, terrible location.
I mean is this really going to put them in the best light. Just build a proper hotel and be done with it.
Nice idea if it was for a temporary event there, but as a yearly hotel, no.

Still in a way Thorpe and Merlin are known for their shipping containers what with Saw, Swarm and Sub Terra. Suits them perfectly if you think about it.