What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

davidm

Strata Poster
There's a recent(ish) "Construction Environmental Management Plan" document loaded to the planning site (along with some amusing "Letter of Representation" submissions from some overkeen goons ;) )

Anyway that environmental management plan has diagrams of road-access / storage areas and such like if y'all are interested.

And a quick skim-read of it highlighted ; "The construction period is projected to last approximately 75 weeks." (which was interesting enough to cause me to post this)

(there also a recent response from Natural England saying they need more information before they say they wil not object to the planning)

Matt N

CF Legend
I don’t know if this has been shared already, but an NL2 creation is now online that has the exact forces of particular elements given:
I said from the beginning that I thought the layout looked very good, and I think those NL2 creations show that! Yes, it might not be the out-and-out airtime machine that I was perhaps hoping for, but I still think it looks like a very strong ride in its own right with some really interesting elements, and it still looks to have a fair few pops of airtime!

Also, having recently ridden Silver Star, which is a similar sort of height (239.5ft vs the 236ft of Exodus), this will both look tall and feel tall when you’re on it. Silver Star really stands out on the skyline even as you’re approaching Europa Park from the autobahn, and it feels big when you’re on it. I’m sure Exodus will be the same, even if it might not look like it’s going to be huge in isolation.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I don’t know if this has been shared already, but an NL2 creation is now online that has the exact forces of particular elements given:
I said from the beginning that I thought the layout looked very good, and I think those NL2 creations show that! Yes, it might not be the out-and-out airtime machine that I was perhaps hoping for, but I still think it looks like a very strong ride in its own right with some really interesting elements, and it still looks to have a fair few pops of airtime!

Also, having recently ridden Silver Star, which is a similar sort of height (239.5ft vs the 236ft of Exodus), this will both look tall and feel tall when you’re on it. Silver Star really stands out on the skyline even as you’re approaching Europa Park from the autobahn, and it feels big when you’re on it. I’m sure Exodus will be the same, even if it might not look like it’s going to be huge in isolation.
That's an egregiously inaccurate POV from what the coaster will actually be though in terms of profiling - I'm not gonna acknowledge any of those forces. The most accurate POV made thus far is by Jambles on Discord, and his drop comes out at -1.8Gs iirc, which is believable given the shaping.

Matt N

CF Legend
Do we think the drop is likely to be the most forceful moment of negative g on the ride by some margin? Or do we think other moments could compete with it?

-1.8G is very high, though; that’ll literally launch you into orbit! From having read the comments, though, that reading is in the back row, and is likely to be lower the further you get towards the front of the train.

So if you want maximum ejector, I’m sensing this will likely be a back row coaster!

EDIT: For some perspective, that reading of -1.8G is -0.5G more forceful than any current UK airtime moment that I’m aware of (Speed’s hill is -1.3G, and Icon’s top hat is -1.2G), and only -0.2G away from the European limit of -2G… that will be one wickedly forceful first drop!

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Do we think the drop is likely to be the most forceful moment of negative g on the ride by some margin? Or do we think other moments could compete with it?

-1.8G is very high, though; that’ll literally launch you into orbit! From having read the comments, though, that reading is in the back row, and is likely to be lower the further you get towards the front of the train.

So if you want maximum ejector, I’m sensing this will likely be a back row coaster!

EDIT: For some perspective, that reading of -1.8G is -0.5G more forceful than any current UK airtime moment that I’m aware of (Speed’s hill is -1.3G, and Icon’s top hat is -1.2G), and only -0.2G away from the European limit of -2G… that will be one wickedly forceful first drop!
Not sure if it’ll be 1.8 (seems a tad high) or even if it’ll be the strongest moment on the ride. It’s also worth remembering other moments may have more ‘jerk.’

But yes, it will be weaker the further you get to the front. Front seat will feel like being slowly lowered over the drop whilst the rear will be pulled over.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I think the twist in the drop is gunna ruin any proper sustained feeling of airtime on it, which is a shame. I can see pops of it here and there, but it’ll be short and quick and over.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think the twist in the drop is gunna ruin any proper sustained feeling of airtime on it, which is a shame. I can see pops of it here and there, but it’ll be short and quick and over.
Nah I think the twist happens after / during the strongest point of negative G, if I’m right it will add an insane lateral into the mix at the same time!

Matt N

CF Legend
For what it’s worth, building twisted drops on Planet Coaster does often seem to nullify sustained negative g’s whenever I do it (when I attempted to recreate Exodus, the negative g’s were very brief and turned to strong positives/laterals when I did the twist).

However, with the forces being mooted over the first drop, the rate of change of force from nothing to strong negatives will be very rapid, and that could be quite something in itself even if the airtime isn’t that sustained.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
For what it’s worth, building twisted drops on Planet Coaster does often seem to nullify sustained negative g’s whenever I do it (when I attempted to recreate Exodus, the negative g’s were very brief and turned to strong positives/laterals when I did the twist).

However, with the forces being mooted over the first drop, the rate of change of force from nothing to strong negatives will be very rapid, and that could be quite something in itself even if the airtime isn’t that sustained.
The strong negative g’s on drops profiled like that are never really what I’d call ‘sustained’ not in a b&m floaty sense of the word anyway. The closest we have to relate to in Europe are the likes of Hyperion, Zadra etc. They hit fast and hard, ejecting you from your seat as you crest the hill with much more force than say SS or Shambhala, but that sustained floating feeling isn’t really there. Or if it is, It seems to be nulled by the intensity of the initial Jerk (which I prefer.)

That’s what I’m expecting here. That ridiculously strong ejection as the back row crests, but then for it to transition into laterals right at the moment when, on Hyperion for example, that initial jerk would be fading fast.

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Hyperion and Zadra both have straight conventional drops? Hardly a good comparison. If anything this will be like Kondaa, but with more laterals. And I found the laterals on Kondaa’s drop took away from the airtime, rather than add.

Rupert

Mega Poster
Interesting. I haven’t ridden Kondaa yet but thought the airtime on EGF’s twisting drop was really powerful and sustained, especially back row of course. These things can surely be profiled to maintain maximum airtime through the turn!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Hyperion and Zadra both have straight conventional drops? Hardly a good comparison. If anything this will be like Kondaa, but with more laterals. And I found the laterals on Kondaa’s drop took away from the airtime, rather than add.
It doesn’t look to start twisting until after the hill is crested! Hence comparing the crest of the hill to a ‘straight’ drop! Kondaa is a much worse comparison as it’s not only not as steep, but it’s twisting right at the top! 🙈

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Just a reminder of the first drop’s early profiling… And what I’m basing my opinions on…

Of course this could be inaccurate, in which case my opinion may change, but based on this, you’ll be out your seat well before the twist… And also based on this, it’s NOTHING like Kondaa’s drop!

2206BE5D-4267-4BF5-B155-32D70211B7A3.jpeg