What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Melons

Roller Poster
Hey all, I've been anonymously browsing this thread for what feels like months now so I thought it high tide I make an account and join in. I see the past week has mainly been the discussion of how can we fit a Hyper into Thorpe but I would like to pose this one question.

If we weren't to get either an RMC or a B&M Hyper, what rides hypothetically would people not be disappointed with?

I personally would love to get either a Mack spinner like Ride to Happiness or a Dive machine like Baron, but that's just me.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Hey all, I've been anonymously browsing this thread for what feels like months now so I thought it high tide I make an account and join in. I see the past week has mainly been the discussion of how can we fit a Hyper into Thorpe but I would like to pose this one question.

If we weren't to get either an RMC or a B&M Hyper, what rides hypothetically would people not be disappointed with?

I personally would love to get either a Mack spinner like Ride to Happiness or a Dive machine like Baron, but that's just me.
Whatever it is: Airtime, lap bars, no inversions, BIG. Even if it is RMC, no inversions. Lightning Rod does it well but let's forget the fact that that's a maintenance nightmare. Intamin prefab, I don't trust Merlin with them, at all, but British Toro would be a dream provided Merlin doesn't trim it after the first year. Something like Kondaa, Hyperion or DCR would be neat as well. Hell, any manufacturer who makes an airtime machine is on my watch. Even looking at you, Chance...

...the list goes on. While RtH is something I'd love to see at Thorpe, I don't want it to be their next coaster if you know what I mean.

Skyye

Mega Poster
Hey all, I've been anonymously browsing this thread for what feels like months now so I thought it high tide I make an account and join in
Welcome!
I don't live in the UK, but I've heard the whole country basically has no airtime. If Thorpe didn't get a B&M or RMC, I could see GCI (most likely) or a Lightning Run style Chance Hyper (least likely) coming to the park.

Archie

Mega Poster
Welcome!

I don't live in the UK, but I've heard the whole country basically has no airtime. If Thorpe didn't get a B&M or RMC, I could see GCI (most likely) or a Lightning Run style Chance Hyper (least likely) coming to the park.
yeah we have no coasters designed around airtime, personally i don't think thorpe will get a gci because it would steal the thunder of wicker man. but i think an RMC Hybrid would fit in very nicely as there are none in the uk

Archie

Mega Poster

also a very warm welcome Melons

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

My list in order…

1. RMC
2. Intamin Hyper
3. Massive Intamin Blitz
4. Mack Extreme Spinner
5. B&M Hyper

So I guess 2 through 4…

What if it’s the first T-Rex!!!! 😲😲😲

Bentleya

Mega Poster
I seriously can’t comprehend how good it is to see the excitement, the dreams and theory’s in this thread - it’s so hard to keep up!

T-REX you say??

Now I love a good list @Nicky Borrill

1. B&M Hyper
2. RMC
3. Mack Extreme Spinner
4. Massive Intamin Blitz
5. Intamin Hyper

Matt N

CF Legend

Welcome to CoasterForce @Melons; hope you have fun here!

In terms of ride types I wouldn't be disappointed with; to be brutally honest, I'm chuffed to bits that we're getting anything, so I'm probably pushing my luck a bit with Merlin by wishing for a hyper... I shouldn't ask for too much from Thorpe/Merlin given that they're already giving us a coaster full stop.

However, if you want my lowdown of ride types I would love to see, based on my own personal preferences; my list does extend beyond B&M Hypers, believe it or not!

I wouldn't like to do an all-out ranking, but if you want an idea; B&M Hyper sits comfortably on top for me in terms of what I'd love to see, but ride types I would also be chuffed to bits with include:
  • A hyper from Mack or Intamin (I'd probably say Mack would edge it over Intamin for me, as I feel like Mack would be more likely to build something that strongly appeals to me based on what I've heard about both, but both would be excellent)
  • An RMC
  • A GCI
  • A multi-launch coaster of some description. Although if it were based purely on personal preference, I wouldn't want a Mack XTREME Spinning Coaster, as I'm not personally too fussed on spinning coasters in general.
  • Perhaps controversially, a family thrill coaster of some description (I know it sounds like a strange candidate, but family coasters can often be great fun, and I do think that it would be a really nice way to even the park out)
But to be honest, regardless of what they announce, I'm very grateful that they're building us a new coaster full stop!

Bentleya

Mega Poster
@Matt N - for a family thrill / multi launch - they should rip out storm surge, colossus and the walking dead and put it on the this site with a couple of flat rides

James F

Hyper Poster
Excluding a B&M hyper

1: RMC (just cause)
2: GCI - with new trains + an inversion.
3: Gravity Group Woodie
4: Mack or Intamin mega coaster
5: Vekoma Blitz

I wouldn't mind a Gerstlauer Infinity either if it had lap bars, airtime and a punchy launch

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Welcome to CoasterForce @Melons; hope you have fun here!

In terms of ride types I wouldn't be disappointed with; to be brutally honest, I'm chuffed to bits that we're getting anything, so I'm probably pushing my luck a bit with Merlin by wishing for a hyper... I shouldn't ask for too much from Thorpe/Merlin given that they're already giving us a coaster full stop.

However, if you want my lowdown of ride types I would love to see, based on my own personal preferences; my list does extend beyond B&M Hypers, believe it or not!

I wouldn't like to do an all-out ranking, but if you want an idea; B&M Hyper sits comfortably on top for me in terms of what I'd love to see, but ride types I would also be chuffed to bits with include:
  • A hyper from Mack or Intamin (I'd probably say Mack would edge it over Intamin for me, as I feel like Mack would be more likely to build something that strongly appeals to me based on what I've heard about both, but both would be excellent)
  • An RMC
  • A GCI
  • A multi-launch coaster of some description. Although if it were based purely on personal preference, I wouldn't want a Mack XTREME Spinning Coaster, as I'm not personally too fussed on spinning coasters in general.
  • Perhaps controversially, a family thrill coaster of some description (I know it sounds like a strange candidate, but family coasters can often be great fun, and I do think that it would be a really nice way to even the park out)
But to be honest, regardless of what they announce, I'm very grateful that they're building us a new coaster full stop!
God I’d forgotten a Mack Hyper!!! Think that’d be level with an Intamin hyper for me, only because I haven’t tried one personally, but it would certainly be up there!!! Just based on what I’ve heard!

Can I change my list?

BTW Matt, if it helps, I HATE spinning rides!!! I Literally won’t ride most flats that spin, it’s that bad!

But Mack extremes aren’t like that, if you catch my drift, they spin, but not wildly and the forward momentum stops me getting that horrible feeling.

It’s more the not knowing how the element will feel this time that makes it wild… Each airtime hill can be forwards, backwards or sideways for example… One of the inversions, caught when facing the right direction, genuinely feels like when I used to do back flips off a gym horse as a kid!!!

What I’m saying is, as someone that hates spinning too, don’t write them off until you’ve tried them :)

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Looks great, a clever use of the space… And that turnaround looks incredible.

It is exactly what I (and others?) meant by a ‘twisty’ layout.

Though I do think it will ride very different to a classic, I’m not entirely fearful it will be ‘worse.’ As it does look to have plenty of floater but with other forces / elements mixed in.

Does NL2 still allow you to show the forces throughout the ride?
Really appreciate it! I prioritized sustained airtime hills over twistiness and overall intensity here, since that's definitely a B&M hyper's strong suit - like comparing the reputation of Raging Bull versus the reputation of Mako - and opted for a more varied, modern-style layout (mainly inspired by Candymonium and Fury 325). The more I've researched the feasibility and logistics of these hyper rumors, the more I've realized that if one is replacing Old Town/Loggers Leap, it'll have to be one very outside-the-box layout for a ride that large to fit here.

And yeah, NL2 still has that option - I just had it disabled since it can be pretty blurry in recordings.

Matt N

CF Legend
Part of this is going to sound like a strange request, but the simple thing that I hope for from this ride is that it's fun and rerideable as opposed to out and out intense, and for the strange part, I actually hope it's something smooth.

I feel that something that's just pure fun and easily rerideable is something that Thorpe lacks at present. Something that's smooth, nice and floaty (or just airtime-filled), thrilling but not too intense, and just purely fun as opposed to some brain-draining out and out force machine. That's why I would love for this to be a B&M Hyper; I remember Mako ticking all of these boxes, hence why it's still my all-time #1 5 years on!

I used to think that Swarm filled this void, but a few things have happened with that one over time that have made it lose this status for me; the sustained g's in that helicopter helix are beginning to make me grey out for a sustained period of time most times I do it (which I don't especially enjoy), I'm growing to not be too keen on the restraints, and I also think it's getting a bit rougher. Not rough by any means, but in September, I had a back outer ride that really juddered quite a bit, and even the inner seats are beginning to develop a bit of a grind/rattle that the ride never used to have; it certainly seems to have lost that silky smoothness it once had for me. (Has anyone else found this, as I feel like I'm going insane here; most others still refer to Swarm as silky smooth and not intense in the slightest?) Don't get me wrong, I still like Swarm a lot; these are quite minor niggles in the grand scheme of things, and I think the ride's high points are still amazing enough to keep it in my top 10 (I do love its sensation of speed, and the speed of that first drop and huge negative g's of that final inversion are just absolutely spectacular!), but it's certainly becoming less my kind of thing, and is slipping down the top 10 for me (it's #8 currently, whereas it has been as high as #3 within the last year or two, and I reckon Europa next year could well move it out of the top 10 entirely, what with their big 3 aligning directly with my current top 3 in terms of ride types; we'll have to wait and see on that one. To be honest, based on my rides last September, I'm quite tempted to push it down to #9 or #10 and consider Inferno my favourite Thorpe coaster; Swarm currently just edges Inferno, but to be honest, I'm reconsidering that, in hindsight... Inferno has grown on me a lot).

Before I go off on too much of a Swarm tangent, I was going to lead on to say; the reason I'd like something smooth is because I actually think that Thorpe has a surprisingly rough (or at least, not smooth) selection of coasters given that none of them are that old. From my experience, while Swarm and Inferno are not especially rough by any means, none of their coasters are nice and silky smooth in the way that I personally really like in a coaster; Inferno is probably their smoothest, and Swarm isn't a rough coaster by any means, but Stealth is feeling quite jolty these days (the ascent in particular really bashed me around a fair bit and gave me a headache on my rides in September, and the descent also bounces you about a fair bit towards the back... but again, I never hear this brought up about Stealth, so I must ask; am I the only one who's noticed this), Saw, while it has been feeling smoother and growing on me a bit lately, is still quite rough in places, and Colossus... I don't think that one warrants an explanation from me based on some of the comments in this thread when its removal was brought up. Let's just say it's among my least favourite coasters and keep it at that...

I should preface the above by saying that my roughness tolerance is quite low, but my point still stands.

Of the 3 major UK thrill parks (Alton, BPB and Thorpe), I'd say that Thorpe is the only one that doesn't have something that fills that fun, floaty/airtime-y and effortlessly rerideable void. From my perspective, Blackpool has Icon to fill this void and Alton has Wicker Man to fill this void, and both of those coasters are in my top 3. From a personal perspective, I really hope that Thorpe's 2024 coaster, whatever it ends up being, fills this void for them.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I've still got a B&M hyper at the top of my wish list, closely followed by a hyper from another manufacturer. Intamin or Mack would be fine by me too. The main reason for that is because I want a new hyper somewhere in the UK, and realistically I think Thorpe is the only park with a credible shot at building one, the only one with the space, the height ceiling, the friendly council and, crucially, the budget to pull it off.
All the other possibilities that people are wishing for - which all sound fab btw - could feasibly be located somewhere else. RMC? That could go to Alton. Cross valley T-rex anyone?
Mack Extreme spinner? Also potentially a nice fit for Alton.
Big woodie? That could go to Paultons. Intamin Blitz? Drayton Manor could get one of those.
Axis coaster? Yeah, bung that up North somewhere. Mingoland or sumat.
But a hyper? Can't imagine any of those other parks getting away with a hyper.
This is it, guys. For those wishing for a UK hyper coaster, I really think this could be a now-or-never moment.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Part of this is going to sound like a strange request, but the simple thing that I hope for from this ride is that it's fun and rerideable as opposed to out and out intense, and for the strange part, I actually hope it's something smooth.

I feel that something that's just pure fun and easily rerideable is something that Thorpe lacks at present. Something that's smooth, nice and floaty (or just airtime-filled), thrilling but not too intense, and just purely fun as opposed to some brain-draining out and out force machine. That's why I would love for this to be a B&M Hyper; I remember Mako ticking all of these boxes, hence why it's still my all-time #1 5 years on!

I used to think that Swarm filled this void, but a few things have happened with that one over time that have made it lose this status for me; the sustained g's in that helicopter helix are beginning to make me grey out for a sustained period of time most times I do it (which I don't especially enjoy), I'm growing to not be too keen on the restraints, and I also think it's getting a bit rougher. Not rough by any means, but in September, I had a back outer ride that really juddered quite a bit, and even the inner seats are beginning to develop a bit of a grind/rattle that the ride never used to have; it certainly seems to have lost that silky smoothness it once had for me. (Has anyone else found this, as I feel like I'm going insane here; most others still refer to Swarm as silky smooth and not intense in the slightest?) Don't get me wrong, I still like Swarm a lot; these are quite minor niggles in the grand scheme of things, and I think the ride's high points are still amazing enough to keep it in my top 10 (I do love its sensation of speed, and the speed of that first drop and huge negative g's of that final inversion are just absolutely spectacular!), but it's certainly becoming less my kind of thing, and is slipping down the top 10 for me (it's #8 currently, whereas it has been as high as #3 within the last year or two, and I reckon Europa next year could well move it out of the top 10 entirely, what with their big 3 aligning directly with my current top 3 in terms of ride types; we'll have to wait and see on that one. To be honest, based on my rides last September, I'm quite tempted to push it down to #9 or #10 and consider Inferno my favourite Thorpe coaster; Swarm currently just edges Inferno, but to be honest, I'm reconsidering that, in hindsight... Inferno has grown on me a lot).

Before I go off on too much of a Swarm tangent, I was going to lead on to say; the reason I'd like something smooth is because I actually think that Thorpe has a surprisingly rough (or at least, not smooth) selection of coasters given that none of them are that old. From my experience, while Swarm and Inferno are not especially rough by any means, none of their coasters are nice and silky smooth in the way that I personally really like in a coaster; Inferno is probably their smoothest, and Swarm isn't a rough coaster by any means, but Stealth is feeling quite jolty these days (the ascent in particular really bashed me around a fair bit and gave me a headache on my rides in September, and the descent also bounces you about a fair bit towards the back... but again, I never hear this brought up about Stealth, so I must ask; am I the only one who's noticed this), Saw, while it has been feeling smoother and growing on me a bit lately, is still quite rough in places, and Colossus... I don't think that one warrants an explanation from me based on some of the comments in this thread when its removal was brought up. Let's just say it's among my least favourite coasters and keep it at that...

I should preface the above by saying that my roughness tolerance is quite low, but my point still stands.

Of the 3 major UK thrill parks (Alton, BPB and Thorpe), I'd say that Thorpe is the only one that doesn't have something that fills that fun, floaty/airtime-y and effortlessly rerideable void. From my perspective, Blackpool has Icon to fill this void and Alton has Wicker Man to fill this void, and both of those coasters are in my top 3. From a personal perspective, I really hope that Thorpe's 2024 coaster, whatever it ends up being, fills this void for them.
By ‘forces’ I meant airtime, negative g… Not particularly looking for high positives.

Although kw6s looks like it might offer some positives, which could potentially be a really good mix…

This is where me and you have such differing opinions sometimes though, I really enjoy intensity!!! And super strong air time even more!!!

Matt N

CF Legend
I've still got a B&M hyper at the top of my wish list, closely followed by a hyper from another manufacturer. Intamin or Mack would be fine by me too. The main reason for that is because I want a new hyper somewhere in the UK, and realistically I think Thorpe is the only park with a credible shot at building one, the only one with the space, the height ceiling, the friendly council and, crucially, the budget to pull it off.
All the other possibilities that people are wishing for - which all sound fab btw - could feasibly be located somewhere else. RMC? That could go to Alton. Cross valley T-rex anyone?
Mack Extreme spinner? Also potentially a nice fit for Alton.
Big woodie? That could go to Paultons. Intamin Blitz? Drayton Manor could get one of those.
Axis coaster? Yeah, bung that up North somewhere. Mingoland or sumat.
But a hyper? Can't imagine any of those other parks getting away with a hyper.
This is it, guys. For those wishing for a UK hyper coaster, I really think this could be a now-or-never moment.
I couldn't agree more, to be honest. As much as the other options sound great, in my opinion, I think they could feasibly be done elsewhere; for instance, I could think of a few UK parks that could build an RMC, particularly if they got creative with space or budget.

A hyper, on the other hand; of the current UK parks, I'd say that Thorpe is the only place that could feasibly do a hyper (unless Alton ever revisited the cross-valley coaster in steel form, and even then, I'm unsure if the valley would be suitable for a big old run of sustained airtime hills in the traditional sense). The London Resort is a potential contender, but that's very much a case of if it happens, dependent on it overcoming its current obstacles, as well as the SSSI designation not lowering the permitted coaster heights (which I believe went up to 100m/328ft!).

In terms of now or never, though; I wouldn't be that hasty, personally. I reckon there's other possibilities for a Thorpe hyper if this ends up being an RMC or whatever. For instance, I'd wager that the island next to Swarm would make for a nice station location, and the ride itself could run behind Swarm towards the front of the park, with a turnaround roughly where the Thorpe Shark Cabins are... I reckon that would be a great fit for a traditional hyper, as it's a really long, straight plot of land! They could also do one with a station on the Depth Charge/Beach site, and it going behind Swarm from there, or turning the other way and going over the lake into the car parks (as I know they did once design according to another thread on here). If 2024 is a different ride, then I certainly reckon a hyper would be doable for 2028 or 2029 or whenever Thorpe's next major after 2024 ends up being!

Melons

Roller Poster
The whole idea of getting a B&M Hyper is honestly kind of excitingI'd want more, but I don't want to get my hopes up as merlin have a history of let downs. I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Mack Megacoaster, or another launched ride to add to the lineup like Velocicoaster. The newer LSM rides that various manfacturers have been pumping out all look amazing to ride and I'd love to see Merlin jump on the back of that train.