What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Ethan

Strata Poster
It wouldn’t be a bad marketing move either, given the surely imminent arrival of Invers10n… Do they really want to be the park with yet another ‘inferior’ (excuse the Nemesis pun) version? And to Flamingo land of all places.
I agree with your entire post, except this part! Not an expert at all, but I can't imagine most of Thorpe's audience are too familiar with FL, and vice versa? Although I suppose it depends how far reaching any marketing campaign Mingoland puts out is.

Heth

Mega Poster
I haven’t worked that one out, there’s absolutely nothing official from the park, quite the contrary, there’s plenty of ‘official’ enough teasers suggesting otherwise…

But you know, there’s ‘LOTS’ of rumour, and there’s often no smoke without fire… So I’m happy to play along with the common feeling it will be a hyper until proven otherwise.

Still hopeful for an RMC, and still half expecting a GCI or Woodie
It feels like a bit of a self-feeding monster. It sounds like a hyper is a strong rumour, but I think that's because enough people are saying it and discussing it, but it's unclear exactly where it started. The more people say it, the stronger it becomes, but it doesn't mean the starting point was any more legitimate.

Don't get me wrong, it could be a hyper, but I don't see the rumour at this stage as having any more proof than amy other rumour. Even this 3 B&M deal is not officially verified.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I agree with your entire post, except this part! Not an expert at all, but I can't imagine most of Thorpe's audience are too familiar with FL, and vice versa? Although I suppose it depends how far reaching any marketing campaign Mingoland puts out is.
You’re probably right, their general audience, the teens of the southeast, will most likely not visit FL.

But these reputations and ideas start within the enthusiast community and do spread to the GP.

I’m sure there’s people knocking around Thorpe calling inferno ‘Nemesis Inferior’ who’ve never even seen the original, much less ridden it.

It actually reminds me of another thing I keep reading in this thread… I’ve resisted the urge to have this rant for about 10 pages now, every time somebody mentions it, but here goes…

“The GP won’t know or care what an RMC is, A Hyper is the right choice / fit”

That’s imo wrong on so many levels. Firstly, those that don’t know what an RMC is, won’t know what a B&M hyper is either… Sure they know about the Big One, but that’s hardly the same, and not a great advert for a hyper is it?

Secondly, I am a member (as I’m sure many of you are) of pages and groups for things like MAP, Alton Towers, Thorpe… These groups don’t contain that many full on goons… I would class most of the members as GP who are regulars at particular parks or particular groups of parks. Yet they’ve been discussing a Thorpe RMC for years. And when Zadra opened, it was one of the biggest discussion threads on the MAP group!!! (I should know, I started the thread and had to turn notifications off after the first 100!!!)

And finally, even if they don’t know what an RMC is… It’s a massive wooden coaster, that inverts, and makes you feel ‘like you’re gonna be thrown out your seat.’ The GP would love it for it’s fear factor (look at Smiler!) So just like in other countries or parks where one has been introduced for the first time, whether they know what it is or not, makes no difference to how popular it will be!!!

My points are these, firstly, the GP are as likely to know what an RMC is as they are a B&M hyper… Secondly, that’s because these things start out being discussed by goons, and it spreads like wild fire!!!

P.s… Sorry Ethan, I tagged / quoted you then went off on a morning rant about something not remotely linked to what I was originally replying to, that was absolutely nothing to do with you… Sorry 😞

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
I am still struggling to work out on what basis everyone has concluded it's a hyper coaster, or even anything specific at all, as aren't all these rumours just "he said shee said" heresay?
I think we just really, really want to see one and it makes far too much sense as well.

Thorpe is the only park in the country who has really any shot at breaking the almost 30 year record of the UK's tallest coaster. The park also doesn't have a no-inversion airtime machine. I think it's about time we got one of those.

Thorpe is the only park in the country who could get a B&M hyper. It'll be extremely rerideable, break the UK height record, and finally put an airtime based coaster with no inversions into the park's lineup.

So to answer your question, yes, the hyper stuff is all rumours but really the same can be said for every coaster type under the sun - but a B&M hyper is just such the perfect addition that it makes way too much sense to ignore.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think we just really, really want to see one and it makes far too much sense as well.

Thorpe is the only park in the country who has really any shot at breaking the almost 30 year record of the UK's tallest coaster. The park also doesn't have a no-inversion airtime machine. I think it's about time we got one of those.

Thorpe is the only park in the country who could get a B&M hyper. It'll be extremely rerideable, break the UK height record, and finally put an airtime based coaster with no inversions into the park's lineup.

So to answer your question, yes, the hyper stuff is all rumours but really the same can be said for every coaster type under the sun - but a B&M hyper is just such the perfect addition that it makes way too much sense to ignore.
There are plenty of manufacturers of Hypers, though. Granted, mostly Intamin, but Mack has built a couple, Vekoma submitted a bid to build one once, there's always the chance Chance gets out of hibernation, and with some goodwill you could count Gerstlauer (Kärnan) in too. I've yet to see a convincing reason why it has to be B&M in particular. The "multiple rides deal" that's floating around seems to be just a rumour as well.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster

Sorry, but when I read that I read what I’ve read a million times in here… ‘A hyper makes sense because it’s what I, and others, want the most.’

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I’m still sticking by my weird Mack triple launch / spinner prediction I made a while ago but wanted to present some ramblings to add to the B&M hyper discussion.

Would anyone have predicted B&M building a family triple launch wing coaster? Is it possible that B&M go for something completely out of the park? A triple launch coaster with a mixture of inversions and airtime. A B&M take on the intamin blitz? I think B&M are in the process of having a significant rejig of their line up and Thorpe could be getting a new offering if so.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
With all this talk of space and turn arounds, I would like to mention Hyperions dive drop turnaround. That would save some space, turn the train and provide an awesome element. I don't see why B+M couldn't do an element like that. If it's even a B+M. If it's even a hyper.

If it's a f***ing flyer I will stop defending Merlin for the rest of my life.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
With all this talk of space and turn arounds, I would like to mention Hyperions dive drop turnaround. That would save some space, turn the train and provide an awesome element. I don't see why B+M couldn't do an element like that. If it's even a B+M. If it's even a hyper.

If it's a f***ing flyer I will stop defending Merlin for the rest of my life.
Or better yet, get Intamin to build it 😮🤪

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
Considering Intamin, Thorpe and reliability are three words that don’t exactly mix well, I really hope this isn’t an Intamin 🤣

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Considering Intamin, Thorpe and reliability are three words that don’t exactly mix well, I really hope this isn’t an Intamin 🤣
I’ve never seen Hyperion, Taron, or any of the other modern intamins down for more than a few minutes…

I’m guessing ‘it happens’ but despite numerous days on those 2 parks, I’ve never seen it.

Actually, I’ve never been a victim of stealth’s rumoured ‘reliability’ problems!!! Back in 2018 fright nights, it was literally the only coaster running in freezing temperatures for hours!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Agreed. I think Thorpe are going to want to play it really safe with whatever they get. Something that's both marketable and reliable.

I'm with Nicky here, recent Intamins have been very reliable from what I've seen. I've never seen Taron, Red Force or Taiga go down at all when I've visited, and that includes spending multiple days at the and different visits. I've heard reports of Hagrids going down abit initially (whihch is understandable as that thing is complex af) but not really heard of Velocicoaster having much trouble at all if any. Albeit these are all LSM launch coasters and they may have perfected this model by now.

Is the only reason that people bang on about Intamin reliability is because of their hydraulic launch coasters (and thirteen maybe), because if thats the case, it's pretty redundant now when talking about a possible new attraction.

In terms of what I want from this coaster. I really hope we get something big and airtime focused. We don't have a coaster that has amazing airtime with lapbars as the main focus so I really think it will resonate with the GP as something new. So obviously I would LOVE to see a B&M Hyper as my number one on the wishlist. I do think that getting it past planning and Merlin actually giving up the budget for it make it highly unlikely, but i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Matt N

CF Legend
OK, let me split this into two parts, as it’s a long post and I have two things I’d like to address separately.
Part 1 (Re: Nicky’s quote)
It actually reminds me of another thing I keep reading in this thread… I’ve resisted the urge to have this rant for about 10 pages now, every time somebody mentions it, but here goes…

“The GP won’t know or care what an RMC is, A Hyper is the right choice / fit”

That’s imo wrong on so many levels. Firstly, those that don’t know what an RMC is, won’t know what a B&M hyper is either… Sure they know about the Big One, but that’s hardly the same, and not a great advert for a hyper is it?

Secondly, I am a member (as I’m sure many of you are) of pages and groups for things like MAP, Alton Towers, Thorpe… These groups don’t contain that many full on goons… I would class most of the members as GP who are regulars at particular parks or particular groups of parks. Yet they’ve been discussing a Thorpe RMC for years. And when Zadra opened, it was one of the biggest discussion threads on the MAP group!!! (I should know, I started the thread and had to turn notifications off after the first 100!!!)

And finally, even if they don’t know what an RMC is… It’s a massive wooden coaster, that inverts, and makes you feel ‘like you’re gonna be thrown out your seat.’ The GP would love it for it’s fear factor (look at Smiler!) So just like in other countries or parks where one has been introduced for the first time, whether they know what it is or not, makes no difference to how popular it will be!!!

My points are these, firstly, the GP are as likely to know what an RMC is as they are a B&M hyper… Secondly, that’s because these things start out being discussed by goons, and it spreads like wild fire!!!
Firstly, I sincerely apologise if me saying that annoyed you. That wasn’t my intent, that was merely my opinion and what I felt would be the case based on what I know. I did not mean to annoy you, and if I did annoy you, I’ll shut up about it, as I can sense I’ve lost a hell of a lot of credibility in this thread…

Secondly, I’d just like to clarify that I wasn’t saying that your average Thorpe visitor would know or care about a B&M Hyper Coaster any more than they would an RMC. Why would they when the UK has neither and ride types/manufacturers aren’t exactly common knowledge outside of enthusiast circles? I wasn’t trying to suggest that a B&M Hyper would be any more known about or generate more excitement than an RMC, because I don’t think it would by any means. I’m not sure it would necessarily work the other way either, though; I’m not sure what would necessarily make an RMC more inherently appealing than a B&M Hyper in the eyes of the average visitor.

My suggestion was more that if a B&M Hyper were to be built, it would most likely claim the UK height record, which would be a pretty meaningful record and very easy to sell. “UK’s tallest coaster” is a very pedestrian record that I feel would really mean something to the average visitor, and be very easy to sell. An RMC, on the other hand, I feel would likely resort to a slightly more far-fetched record (think something along the lines of Wicker Man’s wood and fire claim). I’m not saying that they couldn’t make that a success (Wicker Man was a huge success!), nor am I suggesting that an RMC couldn’t break the UK height record (if we use RCDB as a metric, they would only need to go 8ft above RMC’s current tallest coaster; that’s very doable, in my opinion), but I’m not sure that Merlin would necessarily see the incentive to build big with an RMC, whereas I think you’d need to build big with a hyper to “get your money’s worth” so to speak. I am well aware that size is not everything, but I do think that a big, dominant ride like that would sell itself without too much heavy lifting.
Part 2: Why I’m predicting a B&M Hyper
In terms of why I’m predicting a B&M Hyper; many of you have asked, and I feel that I should provide my evidence. I’d just like to clarify that I am not simply bringing one into existence through mere will to see one get built; as much as I will admit that I would be very keen to see a B&M Hyper built at Thorpe, I certainly have my empirical evidence for believing that one could be coming based on what I’ve seen or heard, and also what I believe would make a lot of sense based on both what I would work and what the park has said in the past.

My evidence and reasoning is as follows:
  • I have now read numerous reports from people claiming to be “in the know” and/or to have seen plans, both here and elsewhere on the internet (including from people I would class as very reliable), and all of them seem to be pointing towards some form of hyper for this project. I know that internet reports of this vein should be taken with a pinch of salt, but I’ve heard quite a number of reports now and they all point towards a very similar thing; as the saying goes, there’s no smoke without fire, and many rumours started this way and with this much traction ended up coming true.
  • At an enthusiast event, the park said that after the failures of Swarm and DBGT, they wanted their next major investment to be “a reliable attraction that has a high throughput and will sell itself”. I feel that a B&M Hyper would tick those boxes very nicely, and while these criteria were admittedly spelled out in relation to a project planned for 2020 back in 2017, I’d wager that the same criteria may well still apply, as I’d imagine that Thorpe’s recent flops were still very much at the forefront of their minds when planning this investment. It’s also worth noting that the Thorpe Park engineers at this event stated that they “love working with B&M”, for what it’s worth. (Source: https://www.attractionsource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=858522&hilit=Project+2020#p858522)
  • At the same enthusiast event, Thorpe Park teased their 2020 project with an image of the Meydan Bridge in Dubai, which as many pointed out at the time, closely resembles a set of large airtime hills similar to those seen on a B&M Hyper. I know it seems small, but cryptic little details like these can sometimes add up.
  • It was indicated by Attraction Images in 2018 (usually quite reliable; for instance, he was the first one to report Valhalla’s 2020 closure, and while many criticised him for the prediction, he ended up being correct) that Thorpe had signed a B&M Hyper Coaster for their 2020 project: https://www.attractionsource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=875628&hilit=B&M+Hyper#p875628
  • I know that this isn’t Project 2020, and also that Project 2020 never materialised, but given it was cancelled for unknown reasons and replaced with nothing, I certainly think that it’s a plausible possibility that the park could have pulled some of their ideas for Project 2020 and transplanted them into this project. It’s happened for plenty of rides before, so why couldn’t it have happened here? Especially given that the TTSP post I cited above said that Old Town/Logger’s Leap’s spot was one of the spots being looked at for Project 2020?
  • The fact that the park is conducting a full consultation this early on for a rumoured 2024 project rings a few alarm bells for me. If they were building a similarly-sized coaster to any of their others, then surely a regular planning permit later on would have sufficed? Even Stealth never had a full consultation of this vein, which suggests to me that the park could be planning something big that might struggle to get planning permission in the regular way. If Thorpe/Merlin didn’t think they had to do a full consultation, why would they waste money on extra, unneeded planning costs? I know that Chessington did one, but Chessington has both substantially tighter planning regulations and substantially less accepting locals than Thorpe based on their past attempts to build stuff. I could be completely wrong here (Merlin could just want a more amicable relationship with their parks’ locals, for all I know), but I’ll admit that the choice of a full consultation does make me think that this won’t be your usual Thorpe coaster in terms of scale.
So, that’s why I think what I do. There are other things I could mention (the whole B&M deal rumour, for instance), but I purposely avoided some of them for fear of angering you and treading old ground.

I know that the evidence doesn’t look like especially cold, hard evidence, so I apologise if my argument looks a little weak, but a fair amount of my evidence did come from the park themselves and things they’ve done, and let’s be honest, evidence for rumours concocted at this stage is mostly based on extrapolation and/or hearsay anyway. I just wanted to show that I have reasons for believing what I do, and that I’m not simply trying to bring a Thorpe B&M Hyper into existence based purely on my own preferences.

I think the important thing to stress here is that no one really knows anything until that consultation. Anything could happen on the 10th. As much as a B&M hyper is my personal prediction, I definitely don’t know that one is coming, and I’ll happily be the first to admit that I was wrong if a hyper isn’t what Thorpe shows us on 10th December.

So, that’s my basic argument. If I’ve annoyed you, I sincerely apologise and I will happily shut up until the consultation. I know this thread hasn’t bought out the best side of me and I apologise for that.

Last edited:

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
With the bridge interaction idea, would that be difficult in this park? I could be wrong, but I was under the impression parts of the lake are quite deep as it's a flooded quarry, no? I imagine trying to place footers there would be a nightmare. Saying that, I suppose the part of the lake with the bridge is quite narrow so I can't imagine the lake would be too deep.

The lakes are nowhere near as deep as people think they are, contrary to popular belief they were gravel pits, not quarries. Abbey Lake, which is the one that matters is apparently about 20ft (or one shipping container length in Merlin units) deep. Not a huge problem for the footers at all.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Well i was bored this morning so i did something completely pointless

Merlin has bought many B&M's over the years so thought I'd look how they compare

Average Height Of A B&M Wing Coaster = 42.95m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Wing Coaster = 37.23m
Percentage = 86.68%
Average Length Of A B&M Wing Coaster = 979.26m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Wing Coaster = 772.37m
Percentage = 78.87%

Average Height Of A B&M Dive Coaster = 53.66m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Dive Coaster = 46.13m
Percentage = 85.96%
Average Length Of A B&M Dive Coaster = 757.05m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Dive Coaster = 471.5m
Percentage = 62.28%

Average Height Of A B&M Flying Coaster = 37.27m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Flying Coaster = 20m
Percentage = 53.66%
Average Length Of A B&M Flying Coaster = 936.92m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Flying Coaster = 840m
Percentage = 89.66%

Average Height Of A B&M Inverted Coaster = 36.76m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Inverted Coaster = 21m
Percentage = 57.12%
Average Length Of A B&M Inverted Coaster = 917.01m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Inverted Coaster = 733m
Percentage = 79.93%

Now if we combine allthose percentages the average Merlin B&M is 70.86% as tall as the average B&M in general and 77.69% as long

So if we take the B&M mega coasters stats below and apply the percentages above
Average Height Of A B&M Mega Coaster = 67.91m
Average Length Of A B&M Mega Coaster = 1521.25m

Predicted Height of a Merlin B&M Mega Coaster = 48.13m (157.9ft)
Predicted Length of a Merlin B&M Mega Coaster = 1181.79m (3877.27ft)

Right I don't think anyone can argue with any of that :p
Proof it wont be as tall as everyone hopes.

Now forget you read all that and enjoy the rest of your day :)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
OK, let me split this into two parts, as it’s a long post and I have two things I’d like to address separately.
Part 1 (Re: Nicky’s quote)

Firstly, I sincerely apologise if me saying that annoyed you. That wasn’t my intent, that was merely my opinion and what I felt would be the case based on what I know. I did not mean to annoy you, and if I did annoy you, I’ll shut up about it, as I can sense I’ve lost a hell of a lot of credibility in this thread…

Secondly, I’d just like to clarify that I wasn’t saying that your average Thorpe visitor would know or care about a B&M Hyper Coaster any more than they would an RMC. Why would they when the UK has neither and ride types/manufacturers aren’t exactly common knowledge outside of enthusiast circles? I wasn’t trying to suggest that a B&M Hyper would be any more known about or generate more excitement than an RMC, because I don’t think it would by any means. I’m not sure it would necessarily work the other way either, though; I’m not sure what would necessarily make an RMC more inherently appealing than a B&M Hyper in the eyes of the average visitor.

My suggestion was more that if a B&M Hyper were to be built, it would most likely claim the UK height record, which would be a pretty meaningful record and very easy to sell. “UK’s tallest coaster” is a very pedestrian record that I feel would really mean something to the average visitor, and be very easy to sell. An RMC, on the other hand, I feel would likely resort to a slightly more far-fetched record (think something along the lines of Wicker Man’s wood and fire claim). I’m not saying that they couldn’t make that a success (Wicker Man was a huge success!), nor am I suggesting that an RMC couldn’t break the UK height record (if we use RCDB as a metric, they would only need to go 8ft above RMC’s current tallest coaster; that’s very doable, in my opinion), but I’m not sure that Merlin would necessarily see the incentive to build big with an RMC, whereas I think you’d need to build big with a hyper to “get your money’s worth” so to speak. I am well aware that size is not everything, but I do think that a big, dominant ride like that would sell itself without too much heavy lifting.
Part 2: Why I’m predicting a B&M Hyper
In terms of why I’m predicting a B&M Hyper; many of you have asked, and I feel that I should provide my evidence. I’d just like to clarify that I am not simply bringing one into existence through mere will to see one get built; as much as I will admit that I would be very keen to see a B&M Hyper built at Thorpe, I certainly have my empirical evidence for believing that one could be coming based on what I’ve seen or heard, and also what I believe would make a lot of sense based on both what I would work and what the park has said in the past.

My evidence and reasoning is as follows:
  • I have now read numerous reports from people claiming to be “in the know” and/or to have seen plans, both here and elsewhere on the internet (including from people I would class as very reliable), and all of them seem to be pointing towards some form of hyper for this project. I know that internet reports of this vein should be taken with a pinch of salt, but I’ve heard quite a number of reports now and they all point towards a very similar thing; as the saying goes, there’s no smoke without fire, and many rumours started this way and with this much traction ended up coming true.
  • At an enthusiast event, the park said that after the failures of Swarm and DBGT, they wanted their next major investment to be “a reliable attraction that has a high throughput and will sell itself”. I feel that a B&M Hyper would tick those boxes very nicely, and while these criteria were admittedly spelled out in relation to a project planned for 2020 back in 2017, I’d wager that the same criteria may well still apply, as I’d imagine that Thorpe’s recent flops were still very much at the forefront of their minds when planning this investment. It’s also worth noting that the Thorpe Park engineers at this event stated that they “love working with B&M”, for what it’s worth. (Source: https://www.attractionsource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=858522&hilit=Project+2020#p858522)
  • At the same enthusiast event, Thorpe Park teased their 2020 project with an image of the Meydan Bridge in Dubai, which as many pointed out at the time, closely resembles a set of large airtime hills similar to those seen on a B&M Hyper. I know it seems small, but cryptic little details like these can sometimes add up.
  • It was indicated by Attraction Images in 2018 (usually quite reliable; for instance, he was the first one to report Valhalla’s 2020 closure, and while many criticised him for the prediction, he ended up being correct) that Thorpe had signed a B&M Hyper Coaster for their 2020 project: https://www.attractionsource.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=875628&hilit=B&M+Hyper#p875628
  • I know that this isn’t Project 2020, and also that Project 2020 never materialised, but given it was cancelled for unknown reasons and replaced with nothing, I certainly think that it’s a plausible possibility that the park could have pulled some of their ideas for Project 2020 and transplanted them into this project. It’s happened for plenty of rides before, so why couldn’t it have happened here? Especially given that the TTSP post I cited above said that Old Town/Logger’s Leap’s spot was one of the spots being looked at for Project 2020?
  • The fact that the park is conducting a full consultation this early on for a rumoured 2024 project rings a few alarm bells for me. If they were building a similarly-sized coaster to any of their others, then surely a regular planning permit later on would have sufficed? Even Stealth never had a full consultation of this vein, which suggests to me that the park could be planning something big that might struggle to get planning permission in the regular way. If Thorpe/Merlin didn’t think they had to do a full consultation, why would they waste money on extra, unneeded planning costs? I know that Chessington did one, but Chessington has both substantially tighter planning regulations and substantially less accepting locals than Thorpe based on their past attempts to build stuff. I could be completely wrong here (Merlin could just want a more amicable relationship with their parks’ locals, for all I know), but I’ll admit that the choice of a full consultation does make me think that this won’t be your usual Thorpe coaster in terms of scale.
So, that’s why I think what I do. There are other things I could mention (the whole B&M deal rumour, for instance), but I purposely avoided some of them for fear of angering you and treading old ground.

I know that the evidence doesn’t look like especially cold, hard evidence, so I apologise if my argument looks a little weak, but a fair amount of my evidence did come from the park themselves and things they’ve done, and let’s be honest, evidence for rumours concocted at this stage is mostly based on extrapolation and/or hearsay anyway. I just wanted to show that I have reasons for believing what I do, and that I’m not simply trying to bring a Thorpe B&M Hyper into existence based purely on my own preferences.

I think the important thing to stress here is that no one really knows anything until that consultation. Anything could happen on the 10th. As much as a B&M hyper is my personal prediction, I definitely don’t know that one is coming, and I’ll happily be the first to admit that I was wrong if a hyper isn’t what Thorpe shows us on 10th December.

So, that’s my basic argument. If I’ve annoyed you, I sincerely apologise and I will happily shut up until the consultation. I know this thread hasn’t bought out the best side of me and I apologise for that.
Stop apologising Matt.
We are all allowed our opinions.
This!!!

But let me elaborate Matt… You’re far from the only person who has said that. And regardless of whether it annoys anyone (including me) or I think it’s wrong, each are entitled to their opinion, just as I was entitled to that rant countering it. :)

I enjoyed reading your reasons Matt, they were well thought out and well written. But I hope I don’t offend you by saying that in those reasons, you do seem to be struggling with tunnel vision a little.

Reliability, throughput, height are all achievable by other models and manufacturers. I’d argue for example, the Merlin B&M’s have recently suffered a lot of frequent down time. That an intamin, RMC or even GCI and many other manufacturers alike, can offer coasters that are reliable, have high throughputs and could break the pitiful UK height record.

I’ve come to accept that there’s no smoke without fire, people apparently ‘in the know’ have hinted at a hyper… And it probably will be one. But other than that, I do not accept that there is any official evidence, teasers or the like pointing towards a hyper yet, other than hearsay. (For this project, 2020 is debatable.)

We’ll find out soon enough, and for all our sakes I hope it is a hyper, RMC or something massive, or we’re going to implode 🙈😂

Now finally I’ll say it again, stop bloody apologising!!! You could never annoy me if you tried… Not even if everything you posted annoyed me could I be annoyed with you as a person, you’re far too nice!!! Enjoy the discussion, embrace the debate, and keep being you. :p

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Well i was bored this morning so i did something completely pointless

Merlin has bought many B&M's over the years so thought I'd look how they compare

Average Height Of A B&M Wing Coaster = 42.95m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Wing Coaster = 37.23m
Percentage = 86.68%
Average Length Of A B&M Wing Coaster = 979.26m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Wing Coaster = 772.37m
Percentage = 78.87%

Average Height Of A B&M Dive Coaster = 53.66m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Dive Coaster = 46.13m
Percentage = 85.96%
Average Length Of A B&M Dive Coaster = 757.05m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Dive Coaster = 471.5m
Percentage = 62.28%

Average Height Of A B&M Flying Coaster = 37.27m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Flying Coaster = 20m
Percentage = 53.66%
Average Length Of A B&M Flying Coaster = 936.92m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Flying Coaster = 840m
Percentage = 89.66%

Average Height Of A B&M Inverted Coaster = 36.76m
Average Height Of A Merlin B&M Inverted Coaster = 21m
Percentage = 57.12%
Average Length Of A B&M Inverted Coaster = 917.01m
Average Length Of A Merlin B&M Inverted Coaster = 733m
Percentage = 79.93%

Now if we combine allthose percentages the average Merlin B&M is 70.86% as tall as the average B&M in general and 77.69% as long

So if we take the B&M mega coasters stats below and apply the percentages above
Average Height Of A B&M Mega Coaster = 67.91m
Average Length Of A B&M Mega Coaster = 1521.25m

Predicted Height of a Merlin B&M Mega Coaster = 48.13m (157.9ft)
Predicted Length of a Merlin B&M Mega Coaster = 1181.79m (3877.27ft)

Right I don't think anyone can argue with any of that :p
Proof it wont be as tall as everyone hopes.

Now forget you read all that and enjoy the rest of your day :)

I'm glad Chessington's shuttle wing (presumably) isn't included in this data, as that would really skew the data.

Either it would bring down the average for wing coasters, thus bringing the predictions down.
OR you create a new category (say Junior Wing), in which case the percentages are 100%, thus bringing the percentages up.

Or, or, you could weight the percentages! Eg 3 of the 16 B&M wing coasters are Merlin, 1 of the 11 Flying Coasters are Merlin, etc etc., and use that to make a fairer prediction as a result.

I'm thinking about this too much now, aren't I?