What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

emoo

Hyper Poster
Riots with torches, pitchforks with chants of 'rabble rabble rabble' start somewhere too ;) People can easily get whipped up into a storm, even with just a small seed on a subject they are passionate about & want.

I hope we get a hyper of course.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Still can’t get my head fully around the idea of Merlin going for a hyper. If they do I think it’ll be a **** raging bull type one where it just doesn’t really do any of the things a hyper should do. Like Orion levels of disappointment kind of thing.

If it’s a dive machine I’ll cry genuine tears.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to double post but:

a) Day off, I'm bored...
b) I've been thinking... Always a dangerous pastime...

There are so many people within the coaster community, including on these forums, who will know exactly what is coming to Thorpe... I appreciate they're not going to risk anything and tell people what is coming... And I fully appreciate that. But I am very very surprised that so far nobody has said anything to try and slow or stop the insane snowballing of the rumour that is the B&M Hyper... If only to manage expectations a little.

Nobody associated with the park wants people to be disappointed with their next big investment... Even if enthusiasts are only part of their audience... If the vast majority of people want a Hyper, think it will be a Hyper, and then it turns out to be something else... There is going to be a whole bucket full of disappointment. So I'm really surprised the Hype train (pun intended,) has been allowed to continue at this pace unchecked...

Add that to the aforementioned increase in levels of public consultation...

And I'm going to change my mind I think, I'm now on the verge of being 100% convinced that this will be a Hyper.

If that news comes through Thurs / Fri @Matt N we want to see pics of you with the jagers out!!! (You are old enough now, right? 🙈🤣)
That’s an interesting thought, and I certainly get what you mean; I too am predicting that this will be a hyper based on what I’ve heard and what evidence we have. There’s a lot of smoke pointing towards a hyper in terms of strong rumours, including from numerous reliable sources, so it would be natural to assume that there may have been some fire from within the park that generated that smoke in the first place. There’s no smoke without fire, and I also agree that the increased levels of public consultation compared to usual is ringing definite alarm bells; I reckon it could be to get the locals on side

However, I don’t think we should count our chickens before they hatch; a hyper is not yet a dead cert. It could very well be something else entirely. And I say that as one of the biggest advocates for a Thorpe B&M Hyper, so I’m certainly not biased against one by any means.

I know it’s a different Merlin park, but it’s worth remembering that Chessington’s B&M coaster had absolutely no strong rumours pointing towards it prior to the consultation; from what I can tell, practically everyone was in unanimous shock at what Chessington unveiled. Although that project never really had any strong rumours in the first place, though, so the prospect of a Thorpe hyper being true does have one advantage over any hypothetical suggestions for Chessington’s coaster pre-consultation; there have been numerous rumours indicating some form of hyper for this project, whereas most of what was suggested for Chessington prior to the consultation was wishful thinking, as there were no strong rumours like we've had for this project, as far as I can tell. Thorpe 2024 has a lot more swirling around about it than Chessington 2023 did prior to the consultation, for what it’s worth.

So my basic point is; while I am personally predicting a B&M Hyper Coaster myself, and I agree with much of your post, I wouldn’t be too hasty in declaring one a dead cert just yet, personally.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Unless I missed something, is this consultation actually going to reveal the coaster type/manufacturer? Surely it’ll be general as in height/visual
impact, estimated extra number of visitors, noise…that type of thing.

T0M

Hyper Poster
^ Tend to agree, there could easy be similar claims as at the Chessington event: "we're still looking at manufacturers etc" (even if slightly misleading).

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Unless I missed something, is this consultation actually going to reveal the coaster type/manufacturer? Surely it’ll be general as in height/visual
You can probably get a quite good idea about the coaster type from that information, though. The height, for instance, is a pretty good suggestion of what coaster type it is, especially if it specifies where the point of maximum elevation is or even whether there are multiple elevated points and how tall they are.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
We’ll find out in a few days I guess. I’m pretty sure us goons will at least decode some of the available information and make educated guesses. Taking a quick grind of the rumour mill, I’ve also heard B&M Hyper and RMC being cited as possibilities from good sources.

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Taking a quick grind of the rumour mill, I’ve also heard B&M Hyper and RMC being cited as possibilities from good sources.
Personally I haven't heard anybody say RMC outside of fanboys, but if Thorpe decides to treat the enthusiasts then I am totally for it.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Personally I haven't heard anybody say RMC outside of fanboys, but if Thorpe decides to treat the enthusiasts then I am totally for it.
Hate to go over old points but…

I haven’t seen any evidence in favour of anything else that hasn’t originated from ‘fanboys.’

RMC is actually the only official teaser released… Obviously it was almost certainly a red herring… But it’s still more than has been publicly teased by the park so far for any other ride type, including hypers.

Matt N

CF Legend
I do get what @TPoseOnTantrum is saying, though; a lot of rumours (and I mean a lot of rumours) courtesy of reliable sources seem to be pointing toward a hyper, while the post by @Ian above was the first genuine RMC rumour I’d ever heard for this project (outside of Thorpe’s numerous RMC jibes over the years, which I think are more of a joke than anything else; “RMC 2020” is still carved into a tree in the Colossus queue line, for what it’s worth, so I wouldn’t read too much into the RMC joke in Trailers, personally).

That’s not to say it couldn’t be an RMC, because I certainly think it could be. But for what it’s worth, I’ve heard a lot of reliably sourced rumours pointing in the direction of hyper, whereas the post that @Ian made was the first RMC rumour I’d heard, and even that one also mentioned hyper.

Currently, my prediction remains B&M Hyper.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
Hate to go over old points but…

I haven’t seen any evidence in favour of anything else that hasn’t originated from ‘fanboys.’

RMC is actually the only official teaser released… Obviously it was almost certainly a red herring… But it’s still more than has been publicly teased by the park so far for any other ride type, including hypers.
It would be funny if the RMC easter egg was instead a reference to Ready Mix Concrete.

Matt N

CF Legend
Oh dear, this talk of RMC easter eggs reminds me of that time a few years back when one of the Cedar Fair parks (I think it was Kings Dominion?) teased an announcement by saying “there’s Really More Coming!”, which got everyone excited for Cedar Fair’s first RMC, and it ended up being a Planet Snoopy expansion…

For reference, this was before any of the Cedar Fair parks got RMCs.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I do get what @TPoseOnTantrum is saying, though; a lot of rumours (and I mean a lot of rumours) courtesy of reliable sources seem to be pointing toward a hyper, while the post by @Ian above was the first genuine RMC rumour I’d ever heard for this project (outside of Thorpe’s numerous RMC jibes over the years, which I think are more of a joke than anything else; “RMC 2020” is still carved into a tree in the Colossus queue line, for what it’s worth, so I wouldn’t read too much into the RMC joke in Trailers, personally).

That’s not to say it couldn’t be an RMC, because I certainly think it could be. But for what it’s worth, I’ve heard a lot of reliably sourced rumours pointing in the direction of hyper, whereas the post that @Ian made was the first RMC rumour I’d heard, and even that one also mentioned hyper.

Currently, my prediction remains B&M Hyper.
That’s completely besides the point… I too, doubt it will be an RMC…

The point is all signs that point to a hyper (and other types) are rumour, hearsay, hope… Whereas there have been RMC teasers from the park themselves…

Most probably done in jest, granted, but the point still stands…

pvnks

Mega Poster
It would mark the first bit of business between RMC and Merlin but wasn't it a first partnership for GCI and Merlin for Wickerman?

This could be anything and I can't call it at all.

If the bookies were on this, what odds would you put on?

B&M Hyper - Evens
RMC Ground-up Hybrid - 3/1
Intamin Mega 5/1
Vekoma Bermuda Blitz - 15/1
B&M Dive 20/1
Maurer Spinner 1000/1

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Just to add, it's possible we might get some sort of visual with track in it. That would certainly narrow down likely options quite easily too.

It probably won't be confirmed who the manufacturer (as locals won't care), but equally these things aren't usually mentioned in official plans submitted to councils either. But as you say, there's enough from them for goons to figure it out.

Matt N

CF Legend
One thing to look out for that may potentially give away the manufacturer and ride type is noise comparisons.

Often, parks will compare the forecast noise levels generated by their upcoming coaster with existing examples of the same, or similar, ride types, and that often gives away the ride type being pursued, even if the park themselves don’t expressly reveal it.

For instance, the enthusiast community deciphered GCI as Wicker Man’s manufacturer straight from the initial planning application, months before the park officially confirmed it, due to fellow GCI woodies Ozark Wildcat and Kentucky Rumbler being cited as noise comparisons. Smiler was initially determined to be a Gerstlauer because Saw The Ride was used as the noise comparison. Part of the reason that Chessington’s coaster has been strongly speculated to be a B&M Wing Coaster is because the ride used for the noise comparison was Raptor at Gardaland.

I know that it won’t always offer a 100% certain answer, but it gives a fair indicator; why would the park use one manufacturer and ride type to do their noise study upon if they were building a completely different ride type by a completely different manufacturer?

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Whatever they announce and whatever gets approved, you just know that as soon as one spade hits the ground, 20,000 skylarks are going to erupt out of it. The world’s first subterranean skylark settlement, right underneath Thorpe Park.