What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Except for the many outdoor parts?
Oh christ, let me elaborate then...

The lift and first drop will be the main focus of the noise survey. Given they want to build their tallest coaster yet.

it's 'The lift and first drop are' indoors! 🙈🤣

Seems interesting when asked about location of the noise surveys they refused to answer. However before they did say Turkey. Backtracking ?
Yes, he stumbled on the question so much bless him, and in trying not to say the location again, he actually gave us even more confirmation 🤣🤣🤣

Doublethink

Roller Poster
Would be delighted if we got something like Karnan which is currently sitting as my no 2. coaster. Sadly not the length here to dethrone that monstrosity. However, if they were going for the tower/ vertical lift gimmick that ride has this would have been shown in the concept art as it would be a dominant feature of the ride and also change the acoustics a lot- the sound of that phenomenal IMAscore soundtrack echoing around the tower as you ascend towards the drop is one of my best coaster experiences ever

BenJacobs

Roller Poster
Oh christ, let me elaborate then...

The lift and first drop will be the main focus of the noise survey. Given they want to build their tallest coaster yet.

it's 'The lift and first drop are' indoors! 🙈🤣

I’m certainly no expert when it comes to noise surveys, but surely they have two things to check for, the noise of the lift and the noise from the train going round at speed. You could get the latter from Karnan, but not the former, but surely neither would be accurate if you went for a coaster of a similar size but from a different manufacturer?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I’m certainly no expert when it comes to noise surveys, but surely they have two things to check for, the noise of the lift and the noise from the train going round at speed. You could get the latter from Karnan, but not the former, but surely neither would be accurate if you went for a coaster of a similar size but from a different manufacturer?
The thing the local residents will be worried about is noise transmission over long distances - the stuff at low level isn't going to be so much of an issue when compared to the lift hill.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
For those that didn't watch the consultation this evening... Here is the part I was referring to...

He was trying so hard not to say Turkey, Antalya or Land of Legends that he inadvertently confirmed that the ride used was a similar height, bless him 🙈🤣

pvnks

Mega Poster
Jack!!!!!!!!!!

I resemble resent that remark!
I mean, the camera literally looks to be a few centimetres away from his schnose... .

Step awaaaaaaaaay from the camera!

(Rest assured; I'm not insinuating anything other than the distance between himself and the camera)

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I mean, the camera literally looks to be a few centimetres away from his schnose... .

Step awaaaaaaaaay from the camera!

(Rest assured; I'm not insinuating anything other than the distance between himself and the camera)
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

That's me putting my phone right up to my screen as the consultation was playing to be fair....

Matt N

CF Legend
Out of interest; for the splashdown on this, are we thinking it’ll be a splash effect like on SheiKra:
Or a set of water jets like Shambhala:

My personal suspicion is that this one will be more SheiKra-like, as I think a fair bit of braking will be needed (or at least wanted) before those last 2 elements, what with the height difference between the big dive loop and the fairly low outerbank and final hill.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
What were they thinking with that italicised 'y'!!! My eyes!

"We'll throw our readers by using italics on only one letter! Mwahhaha"

".... why?"

"Exactly!"

".... ey?"

"No - Y"

"... that's what I asked!"

"You?"

"...I understand, you're going to have U in italics"

".... oh dear"

"Fine go with O but there's no need to be a ****!"

"... I'm sticking with Y?!"

"I ASKED THE ****ING QUESTION!"

"DUDE **** YOU"

"I NEVER SAID TO GO WITH U - WHAT IS GOING ON"

catsounds

Mega Poster
All those points if followed through with give me the impression they're trying to get the park back on track solidly instead of changing target audience with every new 'addition' in the last almost 10 years

I like the part about making the park worthy of coming for a 'short stay' before actually building the hotel

Leon

Roller Poster
For anyone interested Attraction Source took down some of the points made during the virtual consultations Q&A sessions, there is info to do with both the coaster and park.
View attachment 15057
View attachment 15058
Nice to here that they are looking at loosing Slammer finally as well as making monks walk safer so people can see the construction easier.

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/AttractionSc
Can i just ask what is currently unsafe about monks walk if they intend on "making it safe" how can a public foot path be unsafe ?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Can i just ask what is currently unsafe about monks walk if they intend on "making it safe" how can a public foot path be unsafe ?
The original answer referenced the fencing. But I think they're talking about the expectation that many enthusiasts will be spending time down there monitoring the progress of construction, and they're planning on ensuring it's safe and secure, but does not obstruct this activity. Which I thought was super awesome of them to be honest!

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster

I think there's been a level of misunderstanding here around this.

Monk's Walk runs alongside the park, from (what was) Loggers Leap, past Burger King, to the back end of Nemesis Inferno and Rumba Rapids. Despite the adjacent parts of the park being monitored by CCTV, and security doing checks, it is still a well known spot for people to attempt to sneak in to the park. The fence isn't all that high and it's not the most difficult thing to jump if you want to. Some locals have also mentioned in the past that they've had wheelie bins stolen which have ended up down Monk's Walk, likely so people can use them as a stepping stone to get over the fence.

The concerns with the pathway are:
1. It is close to the park, and any construction and noise from rides can spoil what is a nice walkway for locals.
2. It is potentially dangerous; if people jump the fence and end up in a ride area, there's a whole world of trouble.
3. There will be increased interest from enthusiasts, which could lead to potential damage as people try to clamber for that exclusive shot.

The fence between the path and park is not unsafe in any way. But they've acknowledged those concerns and will review ways on how to ensure moving forward it remains safe and deters people from attempting to enter whilst not being an eyesore. Also, it will not encourage enthusiasts to attempt anything dangerous and silly, so have a level of being able to see what's going on.

From what I remember, there is an agreed upon height for the fencing along that path, and the park aren't allowed to exceed that with any of their own adjacent fencing within the park. That's the reason why they haven't just built a 15ft high barrier all the way down to stop people climbing over, for example.

Personally, I think this is another reason why we were never going to get an out and back style coaster along that part of the park. From a H&S perspective, I can imagine it being a massive headache building a ride area next to a public pathway known for people jumping into the park from there.

Tl;Dr- Monk's Walk and the fencing is safe. The park are considering how to ensure it remains safe, deters people from entering the park whilst keeping it looking pleasant.

Trax

Hyper Poster
It really took me some time to clear up my thoughts regarding this.
I mean, it is nice to see that the UK is finally receiving a large scale coaster that is not built just to be the world first coaster with a 182° rotating drop at an 86° angle. Thorpe Park has been in desperate need for a new coaster addition for a while now, and Exodus will finally setting an end to this. They also appear to plan quite a lot of rework of the surrounding area, which is always nice to see. In addition, the compact footprint should make for a intense ride, with high positives, which is still a rare thing.

However, it really feels kind of lackluster to me. It only features a few elements, with one being a straight track, and is most likely shorter than 1km, if not 900m. That earns it easily the title of the shortest Hyper Coaster - technically Cannibal is shorter, but that one has no lift hill, which would easily add 100+m. Even most dive machines are longer, and those are not known for their long layouts.

I mean, getting a 900m Hypercoaster might be kind of disappointing, but it is still a Hyper with some decent elements packed in. Given the choice of Exodus or nothing, I'd definitely take Exodus any day.

Dawg

Roller Poster
Out of interest; for the splashdown on this, are we thinking it’ll be a splash effect like on SheiKra:
Or a set of water jets like Shambhala:

My personal suspicion is that this one will be more SheiKra-like, as I think a fair bit of braking will be needed (or at least wanted) before those last 2 elements, what with the height difference between the big dive loop and the fairly low outerbank and final hill.

In the virtual consultation the other day regarding the splashdown, they used the word 'Simulation', when referring to the water effect from the manmade trench they'd need to build. This makes me think it will just be an 'effect', e.g Manta, Mako, Diamondback.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Partly happy, partly disgusted by this.
Like the look of the elements, some of them look really tasty, and if they had built on that and extended it to nearly double it's length then it could well be world class, but a splash element losing speed into a airtime turn into such a massive brake run = wasted opportunity for me.

Also, if this hits 1000pph then I'm an ostrich. Ride time of 40 seconds drop to brakes with no blocks except the brake run. Not a chance. Lets see if things change following the consultation but I doubt it.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Partly happy, partly disgusted by this.
Like the look of the elements, some of them look really tasty, and if they had built on that and extended it to nearly double it's length then it could well be world class, but a splash element losing speed into a airtime turn into such a massive brake run = wasted opportunity for me.

Also, if this hits 1000pph then I'm an ostrich. Ride time of 40 seconds drop to brakes with no blocks except the brake run. Not a chance. Lets see if things change following the consultation but I doubt it.
It’s just under 60 seconds from despatch to brakes in the mock ups I’ve seen… Assuming a 20 person train that’s actually 1200 riders per hour… So shouldn’t be too hard to achieve the targeted 1000.