What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
Correct me if I’m wrong here, but I think I’m right in saying that this is the first time a new Merlin coaster has ever been teased/announced with a conventional POV/off-ride video mock-up.

With this in mind, as well as Thorpe Park’s other communications, could we see a drastically less secretive approach to marketing Exodus compared with some of Merlin’s other previous major rides?

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
could we see a drastically less secretive approach to marketing Exodus compared with some of Merlin’s other previous major rides?
That would 100% make perfect sense to do. I think it's because it's a very "we have nothing to hide here, just pure f***ing massive rollercoaster and nothing else" ride. No indoor section to speak of that might be hiding something wacky, no centerpiece gimmick, no doomer dark theme to it, this is a BIG record that hasn't been broken for almost thirty years. I think it's smart of the park to advertise everywhere they can that they are breaking such a significant record in this island. I can't imagine the hype levels the park will be having by the middle of the year (when it goes vertical) and the end of the year. I imagine we'll be in for a treat

Sandman

Giga Poster
I really think it comes down to the ride.

When you're breaking a record, even if it's just a domestic record, then that is going to form part of the marketing campaign. It sells itself, so to speak.

I wouldn't necessarily expect a blanket approach for all major investments from Merlin though.

There will be some projects that would benefit from a kind of faux secretive approach (the kind of thing Oblivion had) and then others that suit the regular 'behind the scenes' updates that we've seen hints of more recently.

catsounds

Mega Poster
With this in mind, as well as Thorpe Park’s other communications, could we see a drastically less secretive approach to marketing Exodus compared with some of Merlin’s other previous major rides?
I think definitely, we already are with them allowing Jack S to have a series documenting construction, he'll probably be allowed in for every aspect of vertical construction also

INFERNOismybaby

Roller Poster
I did always wonder when a UK park would release a virtual POV & off ride shots of an upcoming coaster as do these Six Flags & Cedar fair parks & it does build a lot of hype imo. I’m glad to see it!

Would be interesting to see if this becomes more of a common thing now in the UK.

Anyway, I really hope this is the start of a new era for the UK theme park industry as was the early 90’s to 2000’s. We’re finally catching up with the rest of the world 😅

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
Also, we’ve already seen the entire layout, down to footer placements and support structures in the planning application.

No room for mystery there. With previous coasters there was a level of mystery about them. Saw had the indoor section as a “mystery”. Smiler had an entirely different layout to the planning application. Thirteen had the indoor “trick” kept secret. Wicker man had just a top down view of the layout without any of the hills and turns defined,

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
From my trip today I could see a weird white, yellow and blue angel thing on the far side of the construction site form SAW. Anyone know what that's all about?
The_Simpsons_5F05.png

Ok, this is purely speculation and I'm probably looking way too deep into things but does anyone think there could be a link between Thorpe's Project Exodus and Towers' Project Horizon? It's just that Thorpe has been continuously using the saying "something epic is on the horizon" in the Exodus teasers. I don't know, maybe Merlin is just going through a phase similar to when a small child finds a new word they like and tries to use it as much as possible...

Last edited: