What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

Lofty

CF Legend
Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train (WC16) | Thorpe Park | May 2

:lol: - didn't speak to him after yesterday, was busy in the evening. He's signed an NDA apparently, so just gotta wait and see if he lets anything slip (doubt it, he's good with **** like this), so guess we'll just have to wait until someone says something online ha.

Dar

Hyper Poster

There were a few posts about from people that didn't understand the 'N' in NDA. From the sounds of it, it wasn't great and they've been getting poor feedback from guests and staff.

If that's true then it's a shame and could put Merlin off investing in dark rides again after this and Sub-Terra both getting poor feedback.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Tbh, it seems right that they're holding soft opening for hotel guests. Let's face it, unlike the other Merlin hotels, there's not much to do for people staying there. It also gives the ride staff chance to test operations before that vile looking cattle pen is open to the masses.

I've not even bothered to search for reviews, so I'll take Dar's word for it that it has been underwhelmingly recieved. I'll make my own mind up when I eventually get round to riding it.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Aye same again today, they opened it up just before 5pm for hotel guests only, were having to turn loads of people away though who saw people in the queue for it and rushed over.

Saw them signing what I assumed (and having seen above now confirmed) to be non disclosure agreements.

Lofty

CF Legend

Just makes sense though, cover your backs until the actual opening. It's exactly what I'd do, too.

scw55

Hyper Poster

Hopefully they can act on the feedback and edit the ride appropriately.

Sub-Terra was improved, but a lot of visitors who originally rode the ride in its initial form did not realise it got changed. Best open it in the way it was envisioned.

DBGhostRider

Roller Poster

Hello if you would like to read my AMA for Derren Brown's Ghost Train, here you go! I was as descriptive as possible during my experience :) Reddit. com /r/ themepark / 4p0rko <- Had to break up the link as I cannot post URL's

JSMarsden

Roller Poster

After reading that link from reddit (just tells you everything about the ride) I look forward to riding it! It's something different and I hate jumpy stuff, so will definitely be a thrill for me!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

Thanks for the description DBGhostRider. I have to admit, it does sound a little better than I was expecting but I'm still doubtful about its long-term success. All of the special effects, live actors and mechanical systems sound way too complicated for Thorpe Park to keep up.

JSMarsden

Roller Poster

Jamesss said:
Thanks for the description DBGhostRider. I have to admit, it does sound a little better than I was expecting but I'm still doubtful about its long-term success. All of the special effects, live actors and mechanical systems sound way too complicated for Thorpe Park to keep up.

From reading it though,
it only seems like the live actors are those that take you from Point A to point B telling you to run, so can't be too bad (Only like having 10+ ride ops on Galactica for example...)

The tech isn't too much either, it seems mostly through VR, which should hopefully all stay in sync. The only bit would be the 'train crash' before you get into the 2nd carriage, however from reading it I can only deem it to be some form of moving object like the one in Universal Orlando had - (Names gone, but the one where you're creating your own film where your in the train cart, and the truck slips down and another train crashes). It doesn't sound like its littered with 100's of effects like Valhalla, so hopefully Merlin should be able to keep ontop of it all. (US Seems to do a good enough job, don't see why Merlin shouldn't be able to if they nail the VR)

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

Ugh... not them making you do exercise :p I'm now interested to see the physical sets, especially the 'real train' crashing.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

Not a massive fan of having to do cheesy acting either. "Run along this corridor and cover your mouth to protect yourself from poisonous gases!!" Errm, I'll just walk normally, thank you very much.

Ben

CF Legend

Yeah forced interaction is the worst.

I'll be honest, it sounds like dog ****.

DBGhostRider

Roller Poster

Not going to lie, when the actors were telling us to cover our mouths I was cringing quite a bit. especially considering there was no special fx gas or smoke to make you roleplay it a bit more... that was probably the only bit I didn't like outside of the VR segments

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016

So is this still only open to hotel guests? May be heading up this weekend.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Chris Brown said:
So is this still only open to hotel guests? May be heading up this weekend.
According to my source *snigger*, there is no guarantee it will be open to hotel guests. If it's working, then yes, hotel guests might be able to ride it.

spicy

Giga Poster

It's open and people are queuing! 2 hour queue apparently..

f2a5ebf51a02d7f934c2477f812090d9.jpg

Credit Thorpe Park Mania

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Yeah it's open today for technical rehearsals. I waited from 10:15 until 12:30 and then I had to go. Apparently it opened at 1. Disappointed. I have no idea when I'll get back there to try it out. I'm glad it's not a cred otherwise I would have cried.