What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train (WC16) | Thorpe Park | May 2

Update: A 1.4 metre height restriction for Derren Brown's ghost train has seemingly been confirmed by Thorpe Park's twitter. This could mean the ride portion will do some interesting things, we'll have to wait and see.

fLAuUe1.jpg

Lofty

CF Legend

My guess is it will be an advisory height restriction based off of the general height of an age group? We know this is a form of sim with VR, I don't understand how that warrants a 1.4m height?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

1.4m is approx 10 years old... It's impossible to enforce an age restriction, but height restrictions are theme park standard. Who knows though, maybe it will have some physical restraint that requires the 1.4m height restriction.?But if it doesn't, which I suspect is the case, it's yet another example in a Merlin park of a ridiculous height restriction! Yay...

It's a big deal. The examples of rides with absurdly high restrictions in Merlin parks are so numerous now. Rattlesnake being 1.4 whilst every other MS wild mouse is only 1.2m, Zufari being 1m whilst Disney's Kilimanjaro has none, Saw and Smiler being 1.4m whilst the other Eurofighters are all 1.2m, Dragon Falls being 1.2m whilst other Mack log flumes range from .9m to 1m... I'm sure there's plenty more, but those are off the top of my head.

I get this is a scary attraction and that in itself makes it not suitable for younger audiences... But to me, the physical ability of somone to be able to ride it should trump that and a "recommended" age should be signposted.

It just occurred to me, though, that the 1.4 and related age concerns MIGHT be to do with the VR. Occulus isn't recommended for under 13s and I wonder if the headsets physically don't fit kids? If if it's a case of them physically not fitting, then I'm ok with the height restriction. Anything else though and it should be a recommended age, with kids under 1.3m or 1.4m requiring an adult.

I have a huge pet peeve with rides not being accessible. Kids are often braver than adults and it's heartbreaking when they can't go on stuff.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

The map specifically states that it's a minimum of 1.4m, along with the recommended age thing.

The headset size theory is plausible; certainly the only thing I could think of that would warrant such a high restriction.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Knowing what the ride is and how it operates, I can't work our why it needs a 1.4m height limit. VR headsets are adjustable as people have different shaped heads, so that's not an excuse. Unless I've overlooked something, I can't see one logical reason why it needs a 140cm height limit. Unless it's to assist ride ops guessing a riders age. Pass.

Dar

Hyper Poster

Maybe the vive headsets don't work under 1.4m? :p

I guess it could be something to do with the fact that because it's VR, they worry that people might get claustrophobic and panic, and they feel that kids might not handle very well?

Shirofukurou

Mega Poster

VR headsets in general have a reccomended age limit (13 for Oculus Rift and 12 for PlayStation VR), because the headset is just a LED screen very close to your eyes. Childrens' eyes are still developing and thus staring directly at a screen centimeters away could impair their vision for life. I know the ride experience would likely be just over five minutes as opposed to, say, a kid using vive an hour each day, but if the average age at 1.4m is 10 years then the height restriction should be even higher.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/1...ers-while-oculus-rift-age-limit-is-higher.htm

Sandman

Giga Poster

I can't see them translating a recommended age restriction into a height restriction though. Seems a bit too silly. Height restriction represents a pretty specific safety measure, whereas if VR isn't recommended to under 13's or whatever, surely they'd rule that in more specific terms.

Dar

Hyper Poster

Parent's lie about their kids all the time though and, short of ID'ing everyone, a height restriction is the easiest restriction to implement.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

^ They do, but that should be their choice, just as it would be in the home. The warnings just need to be big and bold.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend

Ian said:
Knowing what the ride is and how it operates, I can't work our why it needs a 1.4m height limit. VR headsets are adjustable as people have different shaped heads, so that's not an excuse. Unless I've overlooked something, I can't see one logical reason why it needs a 140cm height limit. Unless it's to assist ride ops guessing a riders age. Pass.
Yep - you're the same as me, that's the only logical explanation I have?

I know other forms of rides have done this over the past, given a height requirement as a way of judging age.

Think about it logically, if you see a sign that says "This is a scary experience and not reccommended for those under the age of 12" for example, a lot of parents will think "Ah, it'll be alright, they're strong-willed for an 8 year old", but, if they see a height restriction, even if it is a recommended one (worded cleverly), parents are more likely going to stick to this and actually adhere to it as it falls under the natural human task of protecting ones offspring from forms of danger or harm.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Having worked at a park, that's not how parents think at all. People think height restrictions are suggestions. Not for safety. I'm serious.

The height restriction is to avoid argument - a solid cut off, a nope. That's all.

IMO, from what I know, it should be... Under 1.4m requires an adult to accompany. Not recommended for under x years followed by the reason for that recommendation.

Lofty

CF Legend

Having consulted on a project for a theme park that used this form of age > height ratio, it does work due to the implications of safety aspect. Maybe not for every single person, but it does for a large majority.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk.

Sandman

Giga Poster

To be fair I do think that this might not just come down to the VR recommended age, but also the ride content. I know Derren Brown's shows have an age restriction and his work is fairly psychological and manipulative in a dark way. I'm pretty sure his last show was about convincing some guy to hide a dead body or something, so if this ride has any resemblance to that kind of material (also the fact it's sort of branded as a sort of next gen ghost train) then it's probably advisable to put some sort of limit on age. Just find it a bit awkward that they'd use a height restriction because I know a lot of adults who are around 1.4m, it's not actually that uncommon.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Lofty said:
Having consulted on a project for a theme park that used this form of age > height ratio, it does work due to the implications of safety aspect. Maybe not for every single person, but it does for a large majority.

I'm not sure how informing a client of an opinion you have translates to having first hand experience of guest perceptions but OK.

Literally the problem with this and every other user design industry is people thinking they understand the user when they don't. No offence.

If anything, age restrictions are more powerful as people understand they are the law. If the ride had an independent body place a restriction on it, people would respect that more.

But hey.

Lofty

CF Legend

It wasn't my opinion, it was theirs and they used this model which worked, I was a consultant on another aspect of it :)

This is it, it's next to impossible to add an actual legal age restriction to it - look at what Hobs Pit did, due to the multimedia inside the attraction they contacted the BBFC to see if it needed a restriction, the BBFC turned up and informed them that it could have been certified a 15 rating, this (I'm sure?) was dropped to 12.

I get what you mean about parks not knowing their users, but, I do, as much as you do, Joey - so no offence taken.

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016

Is anyone heading to Thorpe Park for the opening of GBGT? Really want to see what it's all about! :)

Howie

Donkey in a hat

NeoXIII said:
Is anyone heading to Thorpe Park for the opening of GBGT? Really want to see what it's all about! :)

Actually, yeah, me, I'm seriously thinking about going on opening day, 6th May.
Let's suppose for a second, just for a second, that this is everything that Thorpe Park are promising, and it is actually blow-your-mind, world-class good. I just don't want to be stuck at work, reading about how awesome it is, and wishing I was there.
On the other hand, if it's utter turd, then at least you can be among the first to say 'Ha, I knew it would be!'
Gonna try and get me some of those 12p tickets that are up for grabs soon, if that doesn't work out, well... I guess we'll see.

wolfwynd

Roller Poster

I'm very much toying with the idea of going opening day, or maybe the day after. I'm so excited for this!