What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Just for some more perspective...

Look how tight that turnaround would need to be to fit a mako drop in, from slammer, and then cut back to behind saw...

I'm not sure a mako style turnaround would work here... Maybe a different, highup turn, to kill the energy off before banking passengers into a complete blackout, but not a mako turn...

MakoThorpe.jpg

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
What about if the lift hill goes up towards Nemesis/Burger King, with a turn around immediately after the drop? Plenty of space for B&M airtime hills then? RMC could do a similar layout too with a Raven Truss Dive (ArieForce One) with a stall passing back under the lift hill?
I said earlier in the thread I think that's a plausible option... But you're the wrong side of monks walk in your example... It would need to be further in, and probably require the removal of a few (unimportant) things...

Jared

Hyper Poster
Have you tried lining up some of B&Ms other turnarounds? Such as those on Nitro, Fury and even Orion?

Matt N

CF Legend
Or how about Diamondback? I know that one does turn a bit at the bottom of the drop, and also turns at the bottom of some of the valleys… maybe an Old Town hyper could do something similar?

Matt N

CF Legend
Has there been any kind of evidence that this could be a B&M hyper other than the supposed 3 B&M deal which may not even exist?

I think there could be a lot of disappointment when this coaster is revealed. I hope I am wrong.
Not necessarily, but then again, there’s been no evidence indicating anything else either, so I guess we are just spitballing here. If the 3 B&M rumour is true, then I’d say it seems logical, but I’m just suggesting what I feel they might go for and what would work.

For what it’s worth, the park said at an enthusiast event post-DBGT that they felt that their next major needed to be reliable, marketable and high capacity. I’d say that a B&M Hyper ticks all of those boxes, personally.

emoo

Hyper Poster
Has there been any kind of evidence that this could be a B&M hyper other than the supposed 3 B&M deal which may not even exist?

I think there could be a lot of disappointment when this coaster is revealed. I hope I am wrong.

I think everyone is just willing this into existence with a long felt desire. Wild guesses that may or may not turn out correct. This is our chance, after all this time and there is rarely the opportunity to get hopes up after being dashed for so long. If its just going to be a let down lets just be happy in our own minds for a bit. And if it ends up making everyone happy then people who made up rumours can claim they were right all along.

Did the locals objecting to high objects get covered or being overlooked?

Not having a world record is a good thing if they are able to focus on a genuinely great ride.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Have you tried lining up some of B&Ms other turnarounds? Such as those on Nitro, Fury and even Orion?
good thinking, Tell me which B&Ms have at least a 140 degree turnaround immediately after the drop, and I'll have a play around...

Diamondback is 365m to it's turnaround... We don't have that much length to play with.

Fury is 340M to the turn, but is the perfect type of turnaround!!! and take off some of Fury's height, I think it could be done in that space! Bingo, it's exactly the kind of very high and tight turn a Thorpe hyper would need!!!

Nitro's first turn isn't nearly tight enough...

Not necessarily, but then again, there’s been no evidence indicating anything else either, so I guess we are just spitballing here. If the 3 B&M rumour is true, then I’d say it seems logical, but I’m just suggesting what I feel they might go for and what would work.

For what it’s worth, the park said at an enthusiast event post-DBGT that they felt that their next major needed to be reliable, marketable and high capacity. I’d say that a B&M Hyper ticks all of those boxes, personally.
Actually that's not true...

There have been lots of pointers towards 'flying'

And there have been teasers for RMC... It was NOT a member of the GP who painted that door in Trailers... ;)

Edited to add: Also, another thing that has always bugged me… That tree!!! It’s commonly said that it was a member of public who vandalised it… But although visible from the queue, the tree is not within reach of the queue… And it’s a ‘fairly detailed’ carving for a bit of graffiti… Somebody would have had to jump the fence, and spend a considerable amount of time carving that… Presumably whilst queueing… And yet nobody said anything or stopped him / her?

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I may have pooh-poohed the hyper idea earlier but I gotta admit, I DO like @Jared 's layout. That could actually work.

Some great posts in this thread by the way. Wishful thinking for the most part, but some very insightful comments and pictures. Good work, team! 👍

Jared

Hyper Poster

I’ve had it stated to me a few times by people I’m friends with who are ‘in the know’. I’ve never had reason not to trust them. B&M Hyper coaster has been the main thing I’ve been told. But until we see those plans next Friday, we don’t know for sure.

The whole 3 coaster deal is probably just enthusiast wishing it to be true, but there could be a lot of sense to it. It would certainly work in terms of costs etc. But with it recently being reported that Merlin are on the look out for more parks to add to the resort theme park portfolio, and news that they’re looking to boost the parks post pandemic with big investments, it all lines up well.

A hyper coaster could realistically fit in that site, I think we’ve pretty much confirmed that. I’m sure there are other layout possibilities, but I think the one I posted above makes the most sense. You get to fix the issues of Old Town, Slammer and the Saw Alive site in one swoop. Wouldn’t surprise me if there were other rides planned too, similar to how Project Amazon is getting two SBF Visa flat rides.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

I’ve had it stated to me a few times by people I’m friends with who are ‘in the know’. I’ve never had reason not to trust them. B&M Hyper coaster has been the main thing I’ve been told. But until we see those plans next Friday, we don’t know for sure.
I prefix this post by saying I hate what I'm about to say, but I'm going to throw it out there anyway...

I'm in a vaguely similar position to Jared in that I'm friends with people who are 'in the know' too. However, I've heard a couple of different things from different people. Annoyingly, they're all pretty reliable usually too, but obviously someone will be wrong.

I usually choose not to post directly what I've heard*, in case it can be traced back to someone who said something they shouldn't. So I won't say what exactly I've heard, beyond the fact that each has suggested something tall. That also corroborates with the fact we're seeing a consultation, which suggests that the park are doing something a bit different (even without an MTDP or similar, I see no reason why the park couldn't drop in application for a similar sized coaster to any other they have - Stealth aside of course - and get approval).

As I say, I hate posts of a "I know something you don't nature", and that's not my intention. My point is: there's enough sensible rumours going round for multiple different sources to suggest a hyper is coming. And a B&M would be a pretty fair bet. But yeah, until we see any plans or hear anything from the park, we know nothing for certain.

*But maybe I satirically post what I know is happening....going up anyone? ;)

Skyye

Mega Poster
most people here is saying its going to be out and back, but nobody has thrown around the idea of it being a hyper twister (not surprising to be honest) but raging bull is one of my favorite hypers so...