What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A very valid point, @Howie - an RMC is likely a good cop-out for Merlin building big due to the other marketing they could use.

Edit: there have been 24 RMC's built to date, so it's not that. 😐
Only 20 if you take out the single rails, though... ;)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Edit: there have been 24 RMC's built to date, so it's not that. 😐

5 of which have been Raptors though...if it's a 2024 coaster, could be the 22nd RMC hybrid...right??? ;)
EDIT: Hixee beat me to it - argh!

Anyways, should probably be a bit more serious for a second now. Was me who posted those TPM photos so can probably answer a couple of questions...
Out of interest, is it known whether the tree clearance is clearly visible from within P15 without trying too hard to look for it, or were those views possible because TPM was purposefully looking?

The photo taken showing the tree clearance was taken from an angle to really show it off.
To answer the question of 'Can you see it without looking too hard, or do you have to purposefully look?'
-If you're familiar with the area, you will notice less trees.
-If you're unfamiliar with the area, you may notice some stumps where trees have been cut down.
-I reckon the cut trees will be significantly more obvious during daytime runs of Platform than evening runs.

They've used some of the space where trees used to be for a really neat animatronic effect in Platform which is nice.

There is also the sign which says 'Under Development' over an original Platform 15 poster. Given this is the last year of Platform, it's probably not the most surprising thing to think that something will happen in the future there, even if it is just a new maze.

As for the TP RMC 22 thing. This is something hidden within the park's new maze, Trailers (I didn't notice it until my third run). Of course there's no RMC coming next year. We'd know something. I guess there could be a bit of mileage to the '22nd RMC hybrid' idea if you wanted to go down the rabbit hole, but given there's still a couple to get to before hitting that number, that's very obtuse.
I'm 99% certain it's there just as a gentle tease / joke to goons. Thorpe are good at doing that (and sometimes over do it).

So yeah, a nice little joke. Nothing more, nothing less. Thorpe's Marketing department are probably going to enjoy a nice bag of popcorn whilst reading through forums and social media about all the people getting overly excited about 8 characters they spray painted on a box in a minute.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Would they even fit a big RMC in that footprint? The Zadra plot seems HUGE

Edited to add… If there’s 20, then that only means one more between now and 2024 for that to all tie in!!! Well spotted @Howie

Still think the odds are in favour of it being a marketing prank, but can hope 🤞

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Not since the Big One way back in '94 has a UK park gone all out in the pusuit of hugeness.
I'd say Fantasy Island might qualify because of that time in 2002 they built one of the biggest Inverted coasters in the world right out of nowhere.

... granted, it wasn't followed up by anything more than an assortment of Reverchon spinners and Wacky Worms (usually the very same rides, re-branded and moved to a different corner of the park), so it didn't really do the park much long-term good. Same with BPB, really, it took almost 25 years for them to get another big new coaster after The Big One. Merlin may have looked at those huge investments and found them not worth copying.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ Shame Fantasy Island went to Vekoma rather than B&M. A huge invert like Alpengeist would have really put the park on the map rather than a crappy SLC. With JO costing a reported £28 Million they could have afforded it too.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I can't wait for them to open their new Runaway Mine Coaster! Fingers crossed it's more like Colorado Adventure than Towers's mine train :)

I adore the attitude towards Thorpe, they could announce a raptor cover of SteVe and boards would be full of people wondering how they were going to totally botch it this time :D

Smithy

Strata Poster
That’s actually pretty funny tbf.

Someone’s probably trawling forums and twitter looking for the reaction right now

It's almost as if someone regular on the forums was/is employed by the park and knows full-well the sort of 'easter eggs' that would get the community to fall over itself in excitement........

Peet

Giga Poster
Is it even at the park? Could be completely fake at this point as far as I can tell. I'm not getting on the hype train juust yet.

Matt N

CF Legend
My personal bet is that the RMC thing is a joke by Thorpe. Remember when “RMC 2020” was carved onto a tree near the Colossus queue? (I think it may still be there, in fact…)

There’s certainly a precedent for that kind of joke from Thorpe… the Platform 15 thing, on the other hand, might be something more indicative of the future, in my opinion…

Last edited:

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
If Thorpe still had the Ministry of Sound sponsor (I'm assuming they don't anymore), I reckon that could've been used for an insanely good theme for a new area of the park with the coaster having on-board audio that plays a banger soundtrack. A cool name for the coaster could be 'Bassbooster'. Put a Polyp in the area too (just clone the whole of Jukebox at Liseberg). The world needs more Polyps!

If Merlin worked with Mack more (and also if Thorpe wasn't in desparate need of an airtime-centric coaster without inversions) then we could definitely have gotten British Ride to Happiness. Or, what I like to call, "bRiTisH".

Matt N

CF Legend
I have a little more fuel to add to the fire of future coaster rumours for Thorpe; @JoshC. over on Thorpe Park Mania has done some interesting speculative work regarding some things appearing around Thorpe Park that, while quite distant from one another, appear somewhat related.

The first is quite simple; on Josh's own blog back in July, he was looking at the many Thorpe-related Easter eggs on a recently redecorated vending machine opposite Derren Brown's Ghost Train: https://justanotherthemeparkblog.wo...very-easter-egg-on-thorpes-graffiti-machines/

Now this might sound fairly innocent, and certainly not something worthy of new coaster speculation. However, one of the very few things on there that wasn't a Thorpe easter egg was the word Exodus. That does not relate to any current or past Thorpe Park attraction, event, or anything really. So that naturally raises the question; why is that random word on there alongside all the other Thorpe-related stuff?

OK, I can hear you saying "One word on a vending machine back in July and you're concluding there's a new project coming? That's a terribly rash conclusion!", and if it were based on that alone, I would be somewhat inclined to agree.

However, something else intriguing related to this recently appeared at Fright Nights.

Within the queue for Trailers, one of the cinema posters up on the wall reads "X:\O-DUS". Now on the face of it, this appears to be paying homage to X:\ No Way Out, but it's not too direct, and I personally thought that choosing the word Exodus once again was a very intriguing choice on the part of Thorpe Park, and given the 2 uses were at least 3 months apart, I'm unsure if it's a coincidence. I'll admit it's not the first word that springs to mind for a random word to use, at least not for me anyway. Another interesting thing Josh noticed was that the poster had pine trees in it, which could potentially be referencing Old Town... where tree clearance is currently taking place. Tree clearance that Thorpe Park themselves are advertising within Platform 15.

So my point is; could they be teasing a coaster project in Old Town with the project name Exodus?

Of course, I'm not saying anything is concrete by any means; I'm literally just speculating. I could be adding 2 and 2 and getting 121 here. But with all the signs we're seeing, however minor some of them might seem, could they be pointing towards something bigger?

Here's Josh's full post if you're interested; he probably did a far better job of explaining it than me: https://forum.maniahub.com/topic/10923-the-next-big-thing/?do=findComment&comment=274619
P.S. I know you're a member on here @JoshC., so I hope you don't mind me promoting your content. If you do object, I sincerely apologise and I will remove this post immediately; I just thought it would make for an interesting talking point.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I have a little more fuel to add to the fire of future coaster rumours for Thorpe; @JoshC. over on Thorpe Park Mania has done some interesting speculative work regarding some things appearing around Thorpe Park that, while quite distant from one another, appear somewhat related.

The first is quite simple; on Josh's own blog back in July, he was looking at the many Thorpe-related Easter eggs on a recently redecorated vending machine opposite Derren Brown's Ghost Train: https://justanotherthemeparkblog.wo...very-easter-egg-on-thorpes-graffiti-machines/

Now this might sound fairly innocent, and certainly not something worthy of new coaster speculation. However, one of the very few things on there that wasn't a Thorpe easter egg was the word Exodus. That does not relate to any current or past Thorpe Park attraction, event, or anything really. So that naturally raises the question; why is that random word on there alongside all the other Thorpe-related stuff?

OK, I can hear you saying "One word on a vending machine back in July and you're concluding there's a new project coming? That's a terribly rash conclusion!", and if it were based on that alone, I would be somewhat inclined to agree.

However, something else intriguing related to this recently appeared at Fright Nights.

Within the queue for Trailers, one of the cinema posters up on the wall reads "X:\O-DUS". Now on the face of it, this appears to be paying homage to X:\ No Way Out, but it's not too direct, and I personally thought that choosing the word Exodus once again was a very intriguing choice on the part of Thorpe Park, and given the 2 uses were at least 3 months apart, I'm unsure if it's a coincidence. I'll admit it's not the first word that springs to mind for a random word to use, at least not for me anyway. Another interesting thing Josh noticed was that the poster had pine trees in it, which could potentially be referencing Old Town... where tree clearance is currently taking place. Tree clearance that Thorpe Park themselves are advertising within Platform 15.

So my point is; could they be teasing a coaster project in Old Town with the project name Exodus?

Of course, I'm not saying anything is concrete by any means; I'm literally just speculating. I could be adding 2 and 2 and getting 121 here. But with all the signs we're seeing, however minor some of them might seem, could they be pointing towards something bigger?

Here's Josh's full post if you're interested; he probably did a far better job of explaining it than me: https://forum.maniahub.com/topic/10923-the-next-big-thing/?do=findComment&comment=274619
P.S. I know you're a member on here @JoshC., so I hope you don't mind me promoting your content. If you do object, I sincerely apologise and I will remove this post immediately; I just thought it would make for an interesting talking point.
It's interesting speculation, at least!

Most pessimistic outcome: Another retheme of X, using wood sourced from behind Old Town for decoration.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Exodus, the word itself, sounds cool because it has an X in it and therefore the scrabble scores would be decent too, but it's not really an interesting word, right?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Another X re theme would be no surprise even if suffering from diminishing returns. Sounds about right. Just whack SBF spinner trains on and call it a day.
That was mine, and I’m sure many other’s, first thought when reading that too… The Walking Dead thing is about done… Anybody know when the license runs out, if it runs out?

I really hope not though, I hope the X link is just a partial red herring.

What is clear now, is they’re definitely planning ‘something.’ This goes way beyond a carving in a tree, lots of clues that all link together… Lets just hope that whatever it is lives up to the hype they’re building.

Exodus sounds cool, and it means a mass departure of people, so could be tied into a coaster backstory in a million different ways.