What's new

Thorpe Park 2012 Updates

Ollie

CF Legend
^How old are you? Not seen that happen before unless one of you was under 12 or under the height limit where you need an adult with you.

bladeboy

Roller Poster
http://www.ukparknews.co.uk/entry/cms/a ... ttraction/

Looks like Saw Alive has now been limited to only opening during Fright Nights!
I do get why this has happened but it is a shame they have decided to close the attraction down. I was in the park on Sunday and it did have a 10 minute queue for most of the day which wasn't bad considering that The Swarm was walk-on for a lot of the day.

Lofty

CF Legend
^ Let's hope that they put more effort into running it now and also the Performers start to act like they want to be there.

Ollie

CF Legend
"Guest feedback has showed that with a lot of our rides and attractions having a 1.4m height restriction, some of our ‘up for it’ families are unable to enjoy our rides as a group. Over Easter we wanted to make sure these families had the opportunity to experience the Park together and have the best possible day out."
380573_383177841713555_253497358014938_1220471_8368253_n.jpg

That's stupid. Why make it JUST for families? If there's adults who don't like big rides then there's nothing for them to do at Thorpe. And families could still ride it before.

Mark

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
"Guest feedback has showed that with a lot of our rides and attractions having a 1.4m height restriction, some of our ‘up for it’ families are unable to enjoy our rides as a group. Over Easter we wanted to make sure these families had the opportunity to experience the Park together and have the best possible day out."

That's stupid. Why make it JUST for families? If there's adults who don't like big rides then there's nothing for them to do at Thorpe. And families could still ride it before.

Oh what a complete and utter load of bollocks! (For the reasons Ollie already stated)

Lofty

CF Legend
That's actually ridiculous. Seriously, that's pathetic. Wouldn't you think they'd be happy to get people BOTHERING with their family rides like RR. I wonder how long they're going to last with this tirade of bollocks.

Will

Strata Poster
That's really, truly, genuinely ludicrous. Firstly, do that many 'family groups' actually accidentally go to Thorpe when there's Chessington just down the M25 - and where incidentally, there's none of these silly policies.
By that logic, they could carry it onto Logger's Leap, Rocky Express, Banana Boat(?)... even Zodiac and Quantum.
Sorry Thorpe, you've been good all year, but this is a bit of a WTF.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Will said:
That's really, truly, genuinely ludicrous. Firstly, do that many 'family groups' actually accidentally go to Thorpe when there's Chessington just down the M25 - and where incidentally, there's none of these silly policies.

Instead Chessie have the even sillier policies on Fury and Buccaneer...

A few families do visit Thorpe... It's weird when you see buggies in the queue to get in... What's the point?

Will

Strata Poster
^
The batching policies are different though, particularly on Fury, I think there's at least some sort of reasoning from the powers that be behind those.
Thorpe's just... tastes of awkwardness to me.

nealbie

CF Legend
You'd be surprised how many families go to Thorpe and then were shocked when I told them there's nothing here for them.

"But what about the hippo safari ride, octopus gardens, etc" Gone, all gone, you should go to Chessington. "But isn't Chessington the big kids park?" Nope, that's now for families, this is for the older kids and teens.

Seriously, loads of middle aged people think this. Loads. And without fully researching, why should they know different? Silly Merlin xD

nadroJ

CF Legend
^To be fair though, all the TV adverts for Thorpe show the big scary attractions with young people riding, or featuring in the adverts, does kind of give a hint.

Also, the general public tend to be quite thick with stuff like this. Surely most people check what attractions are on offer at a place before they spend their hard earned cash on a day out there? I don't know, I guess just because it's second nature to me now I really don't think about it.

Did you ever turn people away at the gates, Neal?

nealbie

CF Legend
I never turned them away, per say, just really tried to get them to go to Chessington if they could. I really didn't like seeing Merlin nom £200+ off people for Rocky Express and a beach that's always closed.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Did people actually take your advice? I'd be interested to see if anybody ignored you warning them then turned up at Guest Relations at the end of the day haha XD

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ Not gonna lie... I do. I did on the live, and every other time before that. I just think it's a fun, sociable ride which is good for after lunch!

Smithy

Strata Poster
I think a lot of you are over-estimating the general public.

Most of them won't go to Thorpe Park because they've not seen a diverse selection of rides advertised, they won't think to check up on what rides it has for families, I'd hazard a guess an awful lot of families merely know that it's a theme park, and by assumption expect it to cater for each family member of different ages and thrill expectations. Even those who go because they see rides like Swarm or Saw advertised, they'd assume that by it's very definition (and also by Jordans point about who's seen in adverts) it would be at the least suitable for families with more than just the odd ride.

Thinking more long term, is this not a slightly dangerous strategy for them to go down? There are people with far more knowledge of potential trends and visitor data than I, but surely at this rate they're looking at turning families away, which is often the most likely 'group' to visit a theme park in favour of young adults.

Lofty

CF Legend
I ride them two. Yes, given I've only been to the park twice, but still, I love water rides of any kind.