What's new

Thorpe Park 2012 Updates

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Not yet, but this was presented to us as if it were a new rule. And I have been refused on the carrousel in the past for the same reason, so it seems within reason to expect we would.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Indeed, it'll be employed at peak times like Carousel I imagine.

It's still vile. If they need to do it to avoid complaints, then they need more family friendly attractions. I fear Hurri is right.

Infernus

Hyper Poster
^Just a thought, But it could be more to advertise the fact that it is a ride also for children.. Since Mack forced Loggers and Teacups to change the height restrictions it advertises the fact that smaller children are allowed to ride..

As for Carousel that was due to Douchebags who **** about, I believe the same rule was introduced to Miss Hippo's and Toadies at Chessington due to guests jumping out of Cars..

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Why would you think the reason behind this was any different to the reasons for doing it on Carousel and the like?

Chessington did the same with their entire park, and look where that got them.

Nic

Strata Poster
A lot of this seems to come down to how dodgy/sensible you look. I've previously watched teenagers/chavs be turned away from the Carousel and Miss Hippo's, whilst me and the people I'm with have been allowed on.

Hurri

Mega Poster
Funny how Mack 'forced' Merlin to change their height restrictions, yet other similar or identical Mack rides around the world still operate with the old restrictions. I think it was just Merlin covering their arse.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Nic said:
A lot of this seems to come down to how dodgy/sensible you look. I've previously watched teenagers/chavs be turned away from the Carousel and Miss Hippo's, whilst me and the people I'm with have been allowed on.

You know I never though of that, but now you say it, it seems obvious! No staff member is going to allow a bunch of yobs on a ride with small kids, so maybe it would encourage families with small children to visit the park again for the smaller rides (e.g Rapids, Loggers) because the teenagers are not around.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Hurri said:
Funny how Mack 'forced' Merlin to change their height restrictions, yet other similar or identical Mack rides around the world still operate with the old restrictions. I think it was just Merlin covering their arse.

Nah, most Mack Flumes have the minimum 1.2m restriction now, even Europa's... I believe the majority do run with that restriction, bound to be some that don't for whatever reason (see also, Huss Pirate Ships)...

Whilst I have no heard SOME incident has happened on the ride which involved some argy bargy, why it has resulted in such a change when such an event could happen on ANY ride in ANY park in ANY country, it might just be whilst they decide on the best course of action...

Though why would Thorpe, who have constantly said it's not for families, then want to attract families, makes no sense whatsoever really...

Tim

Roller Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUwGcR93jXM[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-szEb0KSss&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

I have also previously seen one where somebody grabs the bottom of the queue bridge and hangs over the water until the next boat passes to catch them

Frankly, if they didn't make some attempt to assess and filter who is riding, they would probably be dealing with serious injuries one day

Hurri

Mega Poster
The stupidity of a few shouldn't affect the enjoyment of everyone else, the majority of park guests aren't going to do that and the ones that do should be dealt with appropriately.

Chuck dickheads out of the park with no refund. Don't penalise thousands of other guests for someone else's actions.

Also, that was five years ago, it's obviously something that has been happening forever, why suddenly change the rules now?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
It seems there's been general agreement that it's not the same thing as with Carousel on various forums. So I guess I was wrong, but I still stand by my "this is stupid" stance.

I agree, there should be a zero tolerance attitude, NOT persecution of the people who do nothing wrong.

Anyone behaving in a manner dangerous to themselves or others should be collected by security, police called and arrested.

Besides that, if over 12s are capable of this behaviour, so are under 12s... To think that it's only teens and young adults who are capable of this is just beyond stupidity. I've seen adults with young children do utterly stupid things on rides of this kind, or not attempt to prevent their children from doing stupid things which could potentially cause great harm. If the ride is perceived as being truly dangerous, for whatever reason, then it shouldn't be open.

And like Hurri said, it's been happening for a long time. Why the sudden change of attitude now? I bet something along these lines happened recently, so they've employed the rule to make it look like they are doing something about it. It'll be gone within months, until it happens again. Rinse, repeat.

It's the same crap like the incident where someone was struck by an object on Duelling Dragons. If the park REALLY thought the duelling aspect was dangerous, the duelling coaster at their Singapore park wouldn't duel either.

Mark

Strata Poster
Some people clearly don't realise that their are metal bars under the water line they could have easily tripped on. Idiots. I kid you not, it wont be long before they start putting some kind of restraint system on rapids.

The annoying thing is, If someone were to ever get seriously hurt doing stuff like this, the Health and Safety Executive would come down on Thorpe. Regardless of the fact that it would be an accident of the teens own doing, the HSE could still hold the park accountable. They would say that Thorpe (or any other park) need to be doing more to ensure that people CAN'T pull a stunt like this. They COULD also argue that Thorpe have known about people behaving like this for quite some time and therefore should have taken necessary preventative steps much sooner. That is just the way the HSE works... it doesn't matter so much that a person manages to hurt them self, what matters is the conditions they were able to hurt themself in the first place.

I believe similar happened with Colossus it is early days when a girl stuck her leg out of the train and got hurt. That was when they added the stupid plates to the sides of the trains which then led to people tripping over as they got in/out of the train, which then led to the new restraints that are so wide you can't move your legs anywhere.

So far, parks have been lucky that no one has been hurt with people jumping out of rapids boats. It is only a matter of time before someone is hurt... It will be then we start seeing some kind of restraints system, even if its an electronically locked seatbelt or something.

Of course, the fact people are jumping out the boats isn't necessarily the reason that they have introduced this new 'families' only rule. Thorpe may have a completely different reason for it. One I wouldn't mind finding out more about before we get to Ghosterforce. The rapids are always a great part of the day :)

Ben

CF Legend
Mark said:
Some people clearly don't realise that their are metal bars under the water line they could have easily tripped on. Idiots. I kid you not, it wont be long before they start putting some kind of restraint system on rapids.

Um, they already have started putting restraints on Rapids - its fairly common in the US and I wanna say Walibi Belgium's has them? Regardless, fair few in the US.

Mark

Strata Poster
^ Really. I have never seen them. How did I miss that? I don't remember the ones at Walibi Belgium having them, but I may have completely forgotten since I don't remember the ride all that well full stop...

Ben

CF Legend
I think I might have made it up about Walibi Belgium?...

But IoA's strikes me as an example you will have been on fo' sho. Just Google it and you'll see the little black straps on riders. I'd link to a pic but I'm on the iPad <3

Oh look, I accidentally managed to drop that in. Silly me.

Mark

Strata Poster
I really don't remember the IoA one having belts or anything. Is it possible they added them since the 2007 season? (We didn't do it in 2010)

Tomatron

Giga Poster
The IOA Rapids have had them as long as I can remember (rode it in 2006), but you get that wet they're the last thing on your mind.

Mark

Strata Poster
^ you got that bit right. I really don't remember them <////3

So anyways, yes, it is definately plausable that Thorpe may consider adding seat belts to the Rapids then... *IF people jumping from the boats is the reason that this new family restriction is in place*