What's new

Thorpe Park 2012 Updates

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Seriously annoyed at the removal of the Stealth SRQ, I think a lot of people who aren't aware of the change will be pretty riled up when visiting Thorpe this season.

It seems like a crafty move to get single riders buying fast track IMO.

TP Rich

Hyper Poster
I also noticed that Lost City's main theme tune seems to have been chipmunked - it was playing faster and in higher pitch. Everything else was playing normally. Not sure if this was deliberate or an error, but I'm seriously hoping it was an error because it sounds awful.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Stealth disabled queue is hillarious.

And getting people to smoke in the smoking areas could be hard work, but it needs to happen.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Haha I'm not surprised Marc!

Apparently,

"For 2012 Thorpe Park introduced smoking areas around the park They can be found at The Park Entrance, Quantum, Vortex, Storm Surge, X:/ No Way Out, The Swarm, Stealth, Rumba Rapids, Chief Rangers Carousel, Rocky Express and SAW - The Ride. Each smoking area will be symbolised for easy access. "

As if the clientele of Thorpe Park really give a hoot.

marc

CF Legend
What I find funny is a few people kept going on and on about the uk needing year long maze attractions, well the fact Saw Alive is no longer open all year shows they are not that popular.

I hope they can remove it and put something worth while in that area, but the ground there is probably not built for rides.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Younger children who cant get on the bigger rides might?

Do children even go to Thorpe Park?

Still dont see the point in it to be honest. I know what you're saying, but they keep removing the kids rides left right and centre, so why add this for kids?!

nadroJ

CF Legend
^To be fair, on Saturday I noticed more than a few children on park. It was shocking, because you don't usually find them! I hope they had a good day though, seeing them brings back memories of my younger brother crying because he wasn't tall enough for anything and just had to watch us ride everything (this was the same year we had been to Florida and he'd been able to ride EVERYTHING by the way).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
marc said:
the fact Saw Alive is no longer open all year shows they are not that popular.

I'd say it's more down to the staffing costs than anything else to be honest.

Lofty

CF Legend
gavin said:
I'd say it's more down to the staffing costs than anything else to be honest.
It will be down to staff costing, due to the fact that the attraction isn't an Up-charged attraction, the acting costs are covered like the rest of the rides. Let's work this out roughly;

It costs around £500 - £600 per hour to run an attraction around the same size as Saw Alive, basing it on a figure of 6 actors and minimum wage, smoke fluid consumption, lighting, sound, electrical costs, management etc.

On quiet days, you can see why they don't open it, it's just a drainage of money if not a lot of people are visiting the park.

marc said:
the fact Saw Alive is no longer open all year shows they are not that popular.
Sorry, but this isn't true, at all in fact. There are a LOT more year-round attractions destined for the UK. I know for a fact because I'm working on one or two at the moment that are in the stages of planning. I can think of at least 5 that are appearing in the next 2 years.

Market Research into the Scare/Haunted Attraction Industry will prove that a lot of people (GP) would actually like more year-round attractions to the UK. I've got documents on this very Mac that show this for a fact, I'll try and get quotes and upload them in a message to you if you'd like? :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Yeah, people do like scare attractions and they always have queues. You just have to look at how long the lines for the mazes are at Fight Nights to see how popular they are (I've seen Asylum with a 2 hours queue).
On peak days Saw Alive always had a queue ranging from 30 minutes to an hour. This is quite long as the throughput is pretty fast in the attraction. And like Mark said there's loads more year round attractions opening within the next couple of years as people want more of them.

Martyn B

CF Legend
It costs around £500 - £600 per hour to run an attraction around the same size as Saw Alive, basing it on a figure of 6 actors and minimum wage, smoke fluid consumption, lighting, sound, electrical costs, management etc.

Wow, 6 staff members at minimu wage is around £37 per hour, so your basically saying they run up an electricity bill of £463-563 per hour?!

Lofty

CF Legend
FORK. - Sorry, I meant per day** I wrote down another reply first and changed it but forgot to get ride of the "Hour". Thanks for that :D