What's new

This is a long shot, but.... (rumoured woodie for Drayton)

Martyn B

CF Legend
Re: This is a long shot, but.... (rumoured woodie for Drayto

How on earth can you tell if a piece of wood is a support for a wooden coaster? Surely it could be ANY part of a wooden coaster?

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

I just guessed they were supports. They look supporty.

In with the wood, there is also something that LOOKS like track.

FaceYourNemesis

Hyper Poster

Thekingin64 said:
^ You should be able to see the supports if you park by thomas land and look to the trees on your left. For the ground clearence, go on the rapids and look over the railway towards the carpark. Think there's a digger there as well.

For pictures, I do have one which I'll upload later when I can get my phone's USB cable.

Thanks! I'll have a look tomorrow.

Wouldn't mind seeing the shots you've captured on your phone.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Thekingin64 said:
I just guessed they were supports. They look supporty.

In with the wood, there is also something that LOOKS like track.

Converning the "supports": How many were they?

Let's say they use 6x6 in planks. In a five-by-five feet stack of planks (this is the short end of the stack), there would only be a hundred planks. I'm sure you need at least 10,000 equivalents of 6x6 in planks (i.e. 30,000 2x6 in) to build a decent support structure. That means at least a hundred stacks of planks, each stack being five feet tall and wide, and Mike knows how long.

By the way, I curse the lumber industry for still using the Imperial System to make their standards.

Ben

CF Legend

omfg, so excited draytes are getting a woodie cause theres wood in the car park!!111!!

Forget the fact they'd have had to apply for planning permission, and haven't.

Forget the fact they haven't said ANYTHING to back this up.

There's a plank of wood in the car park. It's happening. Why is this even IN Rumours, it should have moved to Ride Construction!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

There would be groundwork long before any structure arrived.

I'm sure they are likely preparing the land behind the rapids though, that would make sense. But it's likely got nothing to do with this.

2013 coaster to compete with Alton?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I'm looking forward to the construction pictures of the fence repair.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I am getting deja vu here.... didn't this happen at Mingo a few years back?

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

I would have had the photo up last night but I didn't get onto my computer as I expected. Continuing from that, I'd have it for you now but my phone's not turning on.

And Pokemaniac, There weren't many at all. I didn't count but at max 100.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

I imagine it's for retracking/sleepering one of the two railways the park has to be honest.

Though the area by the rapids and that car park is where Colin Bryan indicated the woody would go - if there was to be one.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

oh my god if this is true i will be so happy and its about bloody time drayton get a new big coaster

STC

Mega Poster

Thekingin64 said:
I would have had the photo up last night but I didn't get onto my computer as I expected. Continuing from that, I'd have it for you now but my phone's not turning on.

And Pokemaniac, There weren't many at all. I didn't count but at max 100.
Come on then! The suspense is killing us! :p

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^Here you go!

MilledPlanksW.jpg

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

well im not to sure about them being for a fence but i dont think that they are supports for a woodie though

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

Photo0509.jpg

There ya go. It's from quite far off as I couldn't be bothered to walk over to it.

(p.s Gavins photo is totally unrelated as I definatly didn't see that pile of planks)

STC

Mega Poster

Thekingin64 said:
There ya go. It's from quite far off as I couldn't be bothered to walk over to it.
Sorry, but if you really thought this pile of wood was for a new woodie for Drayton (would be one of the most exciting new coasters in the UK in the last decade) then you would have bothered to walk over a few hundred metres for a closer look.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

now that picture is alot better and it does look a little bit like track or support and why would drayton manor have a ramdom pile of fresh clean wood

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^In what way can anyone claim that a pile of wooden planks "looks like track"? It looks like what it is: a pile of wood. End of.

As for the "why would they have wood" question. Maybe it's just possibly because wood is one of the most common building materials for pretty much any construction or repair work?

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

gavin said:
^In what way can anyone claim that a pile of wooden planks "looks like track"? It looks like what it is: a pile of wood. End of.

As for the "why would they have wood" question. Maybe it's just possibly because wood is one of the most common building materials for pretty much any construction or repair work?
true true but that is very clean and fresh wood and sorry for having abit of hope