What's new

This is a long shot, but.... (rumoured woodie for Drayton)

Martyn B

CF Legend

Marcus Gaines (@coastertouring)
10/10/2011 10:41
Apparently yesterday Drayton Manor announced plans to build a wooden coaster.

So, from what I've read elsewhere, he's a part of the RCCGB, and they had a "Loopathon" event at Drayton Manor on October 9th.....

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: This is a long shot, but....

Omg Drayton this is your chance to impress me!

When I spoke to Gravity Group at EAS, they did say they had had some UK interest...

What is meant by "plans", who knows. "We are considering it"?

Omg, if it's a Gravity Group woodie, I will take back every criticism of Drayton I have ever dished out. I will send them fan mail, chocolates, flowers and become their biggest fan. They'll even get a blog post detailing how awesome they are, by failing to mention everything except the wooden coaster.

Kebab

Giga Poster

****! This best be true! It'll turn one of the weakest parks in the country into one of the best. It better be a decent size though...

Saying that, aren't Drayton really strict with their noise levels? They've even got signs telling riders not to scream. :?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Colin Bryan has certainly intimated on several occasions that he has been considering it. He told me and Slayed way back when that it would be over towards Shockwave somewhere, but I think that's a car park now?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

Would sure be incredible. Yeah, the noise levels are just for the area by Apocalypse. Down by Shockwave it's not too much of a problem.

nadroJ

CF Legend

This is Drayton's chance to get one up on Merlin, and hopefully start a new trend!

If they go through with this, and it is a success, who knows what we could be seeing over the next few years!

Excited <3

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

nadroJ said:
This is Drayton's chance to get one up on Merlin, and hopefully start a new trend!

If they go through with this, and it is a success, who knows what we could be seeing over the next few years!

Excited <3
I agree with every single word in this post. Firstly, I hope Drayton get a woodie because it would (hopefully) be a really good ride and a great addition to an otherwise awful park. Secondly I hope they get one because it'll no doubt be popular and give Merlin a massive kick up the arse to get one. It'll show them that woodies aren't 'old' and crappy and that the GP actually do like them. Hopefully they'll realise they should have got one instead of Thirteen! :D

I hope this happens and I hope it's good and MOST OF ALL I hope it starts a trend in the UK! Here's to hoping! :D

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster

Colin Bryan mentioning he wants to build a wooden coaster at a RCCGB event?

Bursting the bubble here to say that it's a potential non-story here, as he says it EVERY year...

I will however wait to see these so called announced plans... And if they HAD been announced, surely they would have been plastered over the net by now?

Cynical yes, but wooden coasters are always mentioned on the RCCGB trips...

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

I think this has the opputunity to be great! And are woodies really THAT noisy?

DM will make it only have 1 train though...as always...

Intricks

Strata Poster

If they have restrictions on noise levels, then I would see a GG going in of Twister size with the Timberliners. From what the guys at GG have said, due to the steering wheels, the noise levels and upkeep cost get reduced somewhat.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

I say, I'm very excited as well, but keep the topic title for now.

Perhaps it will be something along the size of Fårup's Falken, which I never rode, but it looks decent. Built right, it might deliver some air, and if not, it's still a woodie and should be popular with guests (which after all is a coaster's penultimate objective).

And trend-starting is always nice, isn't...
*looks at superhero-coasters*
*reconsiders*

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Hahaha, Andy Hine (Chairman of the RCCGB) and his obsession with wooden coasters. It's no wonder it was brought up at a RCCGB meet!

However...Marcus Gaines. I've met him on several occasions and I have the utmost respect for him. He's incredibly knowledgeable, well connected and writes for several quality industry magazines. I'll drop him an email to see if he can elaborate but I wouldn't get too excited.

When I (alongside furie, Vadge/Nic and Rach) met Colin Bryant at the Ben10 press day, he did say that they plan to build a coaster for "the big boys" in 2012/13. He didn't say anything else but pointed in the general direction of the Buffalo coaster and smiled. It's up to you if you want to read into that or not.

Ben

CF Legend

Jesus, if Draytes got another cred it'd be amazing.

Draytes blates need a woodie, it'd be great(s).

If they don't get one, they should. No a Gravity Group though. Me wants some GCI goodness in the West Midlands <3

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

^I don't mind which as long as it's a decent, high woodie and it's in the UK.

Anyway there are no GCI'S nor gravity group woodies in the UK anyway...

Darren B

Giga Poster

This could potentially be the best news for us enthusiasts in years, wether it be GCI or GG it would be great to see a modern woodie without the complimentary spine adjustment that PBB gives us. And going on what Colin Bryant stated to Ian (something for the big boys) a woodie can still hit the family market which DM strives to cater for, so logically this whole rumour makes a great deal of sense all round. fingers crossed :)

Colossus

Giga Poster

We desperately need a brand spanking new woodie here in the UK, Drayton would be ideal for a good woodie, accessible for almost all people unlike Megafobia or the old classics up in Blackpool.

I remain highly skeptical until more information is available, we can but hope, fingers crossed.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I cant believe all the stick Drayton's getting! Its a great little park, and has come along miles in the last few years. For me, it went from being a proper dump all round, to a great little park, and this year they done even more to spruce it up!

And a Troy clone to top it of would just be perfect :D