What's new

Thirteen, Intamin ''psychoaster'' - Alton Towers 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
Thats always going to be the problem with Rita though, not much thought was really put into it. I always felt like it was sort of just put there, due to this planning whatever they build there Rita and its queue line will always be in the way.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Is there any evidence to say whether the coaster will run a train or individual cars? To me the layout we know suggests a train, but a car is much more manouverable inside the station for the world's first element.

Any ideas?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
No. If it's Premier, it will be a three car train (four seats per car).

If it's a Mack eMotion, then I think it's single cars, eight per car.

If it's Intamin then, after I've eaten Steven's hat, it's going to be a train.

So really, it depends on the coaster type, but I'd say looking at the size, short trains or single cars.

peely

Roller Poster
Can someone please tell me if the track type in the plans has to be exactly the same as the type that gets built?

Its understandable to have the same placed footers/heights, even colour, but surely the track type/design doesnt have to be specific? What difference would it have on the impact on the coaster in the environment it is to be placed? The only impact i can think of really is noise? Sand filled etc..

Could Alton Towers just have drawn up the plans with a bi-rail type track into as a way of covering up the manufacturer?

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
If there was another 2010 rollercoaster, wouldn't they have put another poster up out side like the other one.

is anybody excpecting a rita re-paint? I for one, am not.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The way I see it is that the people that drew up the plans will have worked directly from the manufacturers plans.

So, if you're an architect/planning department for Alton, you're unlikely to know massive amounts about every single kind of ride type and track type out there.

So, when drawing the plans, you will use source material, which will be the designs off the ride manufacturer. It seems silly that they would make such a change when they are essentially just doing a copy.

It still leaves open (except the support issue, but they may just be simple tubes) about five or maybe six manufacturers. Premier, Mack, Gerstlauer, Maurer and Intamin all use very similar bi-rail track. However, only Mack and Premier have it with such thin and regular supports (Gerstlauer and Intamin using box section track in preference).

Of course, Alton could have said that they could only have bi-rail and no box, so support and track design fits with it.

It's one of those things though. You look at Blue Fire, and it looks like an Intamin (from a distance). This looks in the same way like Premier. You just recognise the way the track is supported, the track type, the way it bends and is generally designed.

However, as with Blue Fire, that doesn't always mean you're right - especially not at a distance.

I know it looks like I'm flip-flopping on this one. It's because I am. It's not possible to really 100% say which manufacturer, but you can just get a good feel. If you'd seen those plans but didn't know who made Rita, you'd have a damn good idea from the plans. That's what I'm trying to say, you can make a pretty good educated guess, but a guess is all it is at the moment.

Jools

Giga Poster
Idon't see why everybody keeps going on about these plans, they might just be in existence to distract and mislead us, for all we know, we could end up with something totally different. "If we do I'll say I told you so.", mind you the only thing I've ever got right on this site was I guessed Manta's name cool) , mind you, was quite obvious :p.

I reckon the green Rita track is plausible, and about the other coaster in The Black Hole tent, I can imagine another coaster in there, but not another spinner, I do think it's a good idea to build 2 new coasters for a year as 1: 2010 is meant to be a special year, plus it equals the queue times a bit, hopefully the queues to Nemesis and Air will be empty as everyone will be on te new rides near Rita and Oblivion, I also think a new name for Rita is higly likely, no idea what though, hmmm.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Question : Is Bi-rail like Speed, and tri-rail(?) like Saw?

Just so I can get a vague idea of what people are going on about? :)

I know they're two eurofighters but they're just examples...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Jools said:
Idon't see why everybody keeps going on about these plans, they might just be in existence to distract and mislead us, for all we know, we could end up with something totally different.

It's because of the law of planning???

When you submit something for planning, then the council look at it, and decide if you can build it.

If you make a change to those plans, they have to go back to planning to be approved again. It's vitally important your plans are correct when submitted.

The council will do (I think) three visits to ensure you're sticking to your plans.

Anything that is in the plans (depths and spacing of footers, heights of buildings, heights of track) all have to be the same in real life as they are in the plans.

So THAT is why people are stuck on the plans! :D

Pierre, as Jools says. Tri-rail has extra strength in itself, so it can carry over longer spans without support, or take extra loads (and therefore higher g-forces) without as much support.

For a cleaner coaster look, you generally have Tri-rail, as you have a little less supporting. B&M is VERY different, and Vekoma tend to use a spined track :)

Jools

Giga Poster
So you think the ACTUAL plans were released to us, maybe not. I'm not saying hwat we see are the actual plans

marc

CF Legend
If you read what Furie said.

We have seen the plans, the plans were submitted to the council and past. They have to stick to the plans.

Its like building a house, if you submit plans for a single floor house but build a 2 story one the council will check and ask you to take it down.

Look at what happened with Saw they had to re submit the plans when they added the air time hill.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The plans also have to be presented to the public, so the public can raise objections (which they did).

So 100% yes, we have seen the final plans.

Notice though, we don't know what the secret indoor bit is. That's because the building surrounds it and is bigger than it. So they don't need to detail what is inside the building - clever!

marc

CF Legend
We were talking about this at the weekend and if it is just a tilt track where the train goes backwards it's been done before. Winjrs does this, if you are sitting at the back you go backwards after the tilt track down the drop.

So for me this wont be a worlds 1st if it does this.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
B&M might be a possibilty. The plans might be meant to be mislead.

Look at Shockwave at Drayton, it is made by intamin but looks like B&M track, this could be the opposite, looks like intamin, but is a B&M. I personally dont think it's a B&M at all.

2 coasters in one year could be a bad move, as it would take all the attention off them both.

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
Alton are thinking of opening all year round, so they could open the coaster on the corkie site (dont like saying SW6) then open the not very likely intamin around scarfest time.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
The Grape Wizard said:
B&M might be a possibilty. The plans might be meant to be mislead.

Yes, clever move to make public plans completely different from what they're going to build :roll:

Don't see why everyone thinks that layout will be awful either, good old fashioned run in the woods, Ultimate looks like an awful layout but it's well loved... So hey, who knows...

What I'm not sure about is the lift hill in conjuction with the theme... Mainly with it being outside... But meh really...

Dave

CF Legend
Look its perfectly simple, you can't change the plans after they've been submitted unless you re-apply, pass it by the locals and the council approves it, this is a very long and costly process which im sure Alton Towers dosen't want to do.

Stop saying its B&M, only in your deluded theme parking ****ing fantasies is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.